Angelo Henriquez

Varun

Staff
Let's assume he isn't better than what they have, but still they have had plenty of chances in games won already or games lost to give him even 20 minutes. In a couple of games there were unused sub's too but he wasn't even brought on against a league 1 team while leading by 3 goals or in the other game leading by a couple of goals and opposition 1 man down.

There's a huge plethora of options between being first name on team sheet and being a completely blanked out bench warmer getting 0 minutes and not playing U21's either.
I dont disagree but unless you think Martinez has some personal motives behind it, I dont see what you're getting at. Yes, we were hoping for a better loan spell, so was Henriques. It didnt happen, there could be plenty of reasons behind it. Maybe Martinez just doesnt see it in training and lets face it, giving a United player gametime isnt really on his priority list. Maybe he wanted someone of his own squad who doesnt feature much to get minutes or maybe he just wanted continuity and hence didnt bring Henriques on.

Cevno

I dont disagree but unless you think Martinez has some personal motives behind it, I dont see what you're getting at. Yes, we were hoping for a better loan spell, so was Henriques. It didnt happen, there could be plenty of reasons behind it. Maybe Martinez just doesnt see it in training and lets face it, giving a United player gametime isnt really on his priority list. Maybe he wanted someone of his own squad who doesnt feature much to get minutes or maybe he just wanted continuity and hence didnt bring Henriques on.
Yeah, basically he isn't arsed about his development at all because he is on loan and not his player which is bit of a poor move having taken such a promising young International on loan. So that's basically the point and doesn't reflect well for future deals with him, especially concerning non regular PL starter quality player.

We probably messed up sending him to the premiership too, but they surely would have given the club assurances and him being part of the squad each game despite not playing might be part of that. Doubt he told us there was a risk of completely blanking him out or that he was just a backup while Kone was away with AFCON.

Varun

Staff
Yeah, basically he isn't arsed about his development at all because he is on loan and not his player which is bit of a poor move having taken such a promising young International on loan. So that's basically the point and doesn't reflect well for future deals with him, especially concerning non regular PL starter quality player.

We probably messed up sending him to the premiership too, but they surely would have given the club assurances and him being part of the squad each game despite not playing might be part of that. Doubt he told us there was a risk of completely blanking him out or that he was just a backup while Kone was away with AFCON.
Yep, he isnt. Cant really blame him either seeing Wigan's position. We should have been smarter imo. Why dont these deals have a recall clause?

Cevno

Premiership loans can't be recalled IIRC.

Should have loaned him to the championship or just let him stay in Chile/loan him to some other league. He missed the South American U20 championships too, to sit on Wigan's bench.

Hopefully, Henriquez proves Martinez wrong next season like Rossi did with Roeder.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Yep, he isnt. Cant really blame him either seeing Wigan's position. We should have been smarter imo. Why dont these deals have a recall clause?

They usually do, but only under certain conditions. Again we know he is not getting playing time at Wigan, but we don't really know why. We can either assume it is because he is not earning it (which we have no proof of but in which case any loan deal for him would look bad because the same would happen elsewhere) or that Martinez has it in for him (which we have no proof of either).

Varun

Staff
They usually do, but only under certain conditions. Again we know he is not getting playing time at Wigan, but we don't really know why. We can either assume it is because he is not earning it (which we have no proof of but in which case any loan deal for him would look bad because the same would happen elsewhere) or that Martinez has it in for him (which we have no proof of either).
Yeah, nobody knows for sure why he wasnt brought on when they were coasting games but other than that, as others have said, his only priority is to see them stay up. cant blame him.

Premiership loans can't be recalled IIRC.

Should have loaned him to the championship or just let him stay in Chile/loan him to some other league. He missed the South American U20 championships too, to sit on Wigan's bench.

Hopefully, Henriquez proves Martinez wrong next season like Rossi did with Roeder.
As i said, we should have been smarter. specially after experience with macheda. should have had the clause in if its possible

JustAfan-

Cevno

Still possible that Martinez doesn't want to take a risk and is making a bad judgement call like Roeder did with Rossi. Or that he just wants to stick with his own players if there is a choice between 2 close level of players and just took him on loan as backup just in case for Kone during AFCON.

Still could have loaned him to a lower level anyway.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Please can we take him back now and give him a few minutes towards the end of the games perhaps? Can't be worse than failing to get into the Wigan team... he is wasting time there.

Cevno

PL loans can't be recalled, so he's stuck on there bench. Might break some sort of record for most consecutive minutes for a outfield player as a unused sub though.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I thought they could be recalled unless it was stipulated otherwise? Or is that, generally you can't unless you stipulate otherwise, that would make more sense..

Moriarty

Please can we take him back now and give him a few minutes towards the end of the games perhaps? Can't be worse than failing to get into the Wigan team... he is wasting time there.
I want to see him come off the bench at Wembley to stick Wigan's winner past England's greatest-ever goalie.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
If it stays as it is at the DW tonight, we could see Henriquez on before long. Wigan need to win here and he's the stand-out attacker left on the bench.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It's quite clear he has not impressed Martinez since his arrival.

Might mean nothing when you consider Rossi never got a sniff when on loan at Newcastle.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I have a hard time believing Angelo Henriquez is just not good enough to get any playing time whatsoever for fukkin Wigan.

Widnes

The amount of times they have been 1 goal down or level in games I am surprised they haven't took a gamble and see if he could get them a goal, considering the time they did give him a proper chance when a couple goals down he came on and scored.

Cevno

He actually did well in the limited Sub appearances he got there. So it's a bit weird that he has been completely blanked out.

Don't even remember when was the last time he played anything.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Well I think karma well and truly bit Martinez in the ass. Late in the game needing a goal to save the season, Martinez goes with..a crappy RB instead of a striker.

And that RB lasted about 1 minute, before being forced off with injury and leaving Wigan with 10 men for the last 20 minutes.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Well I think karma well and truly bit Martinez in the ass. Late in the game needing a goal to save the season, Martinez goes with..a crappy RB instead of a striker.

And that RB lasted about 1 minute, before being forced off with injury and leaving Wigan with 10 men for the last 20 minutes.
What???

Martinez needed a goal and, knowing Henriquez is fight there, he instead brought on fullback??? What a jizzbreath asshole.

Chabon

And pretty much the entire rest of the team. I reckon he'll think that loan was worth it now. :lol:

redpie

Wanted so bad to see him get on the pitch. He has a winners medal but the loan has seen him play almost no football at Wigan. Very frustrating.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
More FA Cup winners medals than Rooney Rio Carrick Vidic Evra...oh I could go on. Little bastard :lol:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Glorious five minutes appearance. Bullied the Arsenal defence and looked the best player on the pitch.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I really rate this lad, gutted the way this loan has worked out for him.