5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

If he's still not making the impact we thought he would come the end of the season, there is absolutely no reason why he should still be at the club next season with the wages he's currently on. For me, higher salary means higher scrutiny, you have to show people why you're worth those wages and Sanchez isn't doing that.

You can only imagine what the rest of the squad think if this is the situation in the coming months. Manager's favourite, on daft salary, doesn't produce anywhere near the goals or assists some of the 'lower earners' in the squad do. For me, if that's the situation, he has to go. We take the financial hit, get a transfer fee for him that will allow us to buy him out of his contract so we don't have to take a double hit.

Then we bring someone else in who's better value for money.
He has a contract up till 2022. To buy him up if he is on 300,000 pounds a week would cost over 57m at this moment. I bet Woodward would “love” to do that, even next season for over 40m.

Posh Red

At one point yeah but don't think it ended the season that way although i could be wrong.

You'd expect that though given his position and that we don't play with a creative no 10. The fact he assists Lukaku occasionally doesn't mean he plays to assist, Son assists Kane to a simmilar amount and it isn't the case there either.
Fair points. I do think getting Martial and Lukaku playing well together is our best bet at a functioning attack though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's almost 23 now. Even if he has talent, is he SUCH a talent that he can still fulfill it?
Yes.

If he was playing under Poch, Klopp or Pep he'd be ripping it up. His numbers for us weren't even that bad before January either and we're a very very poor attacking side. Imagine him in a good one.

Excited to see him under a more positive coach.

ash_86

Because he has yet to be successful with his tried and tested method here. The last thing you should do is probably play a striker who doesnt think he is good at being a target man to play like one and have him with our own and main attacking threat.
I don't think we play Lukaku purely as target man all the time. Beginning of last season we scored a ton of goals with proper build up play and movement without having to ping it directly inside the box. Even against spurs you could see us playing proper football along the ground until we went down like 0-2.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Terrible news. Shows how far we've sunk giving a player like this a new deal.

A player who has asked to leave, has down tools on the manager and therefore the club and its fans, hasn't improved as a player since the day he arrived, is a one trick pony who has been found out by opponents 2 years ago.

He's the worst buy this club has ever made when you consider £ paid for him and his actual contribution.

Woodward has given power to little oiks like Martial and his agent and until we get it under control, we'll continue on the way down the ladder.

So if the next manager doesn't rate him which I think is far more likely than people think, will he just down tools on him as well?

Nobody wanted to take him off our hands this summer for a good reason. He's not very good.
I honestly thought this was some sort of hugely ironic pastiche of a post for a second.
But you're actually genuine!

Martial is dynamite. Under the right manager he could be a world beater.
Losing him would be criminal, and it's great at least someone in the club management understands that

Aloysius's Back 3

I don't think we play Lukaku purely as target man all the time. Beginning of last season we scored a ton of goals with proper build up play and movement without having to ping it directly inside the box. Even against spurs you could see us playing proper football along the ground until we went down like 0-2.
That against spurs we played 352 with lingard playing as a support striker; the exact role I feel martial could do well in; instead of having him make runs - id ask him to take on the central defender directly with the capability to tilt the ball off to Lukaku; he isnt eriksen but I like his little passes and flicks when he is full on pace and taking on a defender - he is just not capable to beat fullbacks as much as CB's because his dribbling revolves in tilting/shifting - not doing skills. Lingard didnt have his best game there and Jose bought Fellaini on to play with 2 central target men.

Aloysius's Back 3

I honestly thought this was some sort of hugely ironic pastiche of a post for a second.

Losing him would be criminal, and it's great at least someone in the club management understands that
Exactly- the last person who should make decision on a player like Martial is Jose Mourinho. If the next manager comes and sells him - I could not care less. However believing Jose a player is a dud is criminal; rather wait for his eventual exit for the club and anybody else decide from day 1.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Exactly- the last person who should make decision on a player like Martial is Jose Mourinho. If the next manager comes and sells him - I could not care less. However believing Jose a player is a dud is criminal; rather wait for his eventual exit for the club and anybody else decide from day 1.
For me too. Then we know it's totally on Martial. However, allowing Jose, who doesn't have a decent track record when judging young attackers to make a decision like this, would be wrong imho.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

I thought the same. How can he not see the potential? Mental.

Utd need to get rid of the 'washed up one' and bring in a young attacking coach. Watch Martial go then.

ash_86

That against spurs we played 352 with lingard playing as a support striker; the exact role I feel martial could do well in; instead of having him make runs - id ask him to take on the central defender directly with the capability to tilt the ball off to Lukaku; he isnt eriksen but I like his little passes and flicks when he is full on pace and taking on a defender - he is just not capable to beat fullbacks as much as CB's because his dribbling revolves in tilting/shifting - not doing skills. Lingard didnt have his best game there and Jose bought Fellaini on to play with 2 central target men.
Lingard makes excellent runs and drags defenders out of position and hence was asked to play striker. I don't think Martial can do that job effectively. He is very static for playing in that position. It's easier beating FB's than Cb's because FB's go up and down the flank and may be out of position but CB's are quite put up within the their half most of the time.

Raven

A player who has asked to leave, has down tools on the manager and therefore the club and its fans, hasn't improved as a player since the day he arrived, is a one trick pony who has been found out by opponents 2 years ago.

He's the worst buy this club has ever made when you consider £ paid for him and his actual contribution.

Woodward has given power to little oiks like Martial and his agent and until we get it under control, we'll continue on the way down the ladder.

So if the next manager doesn't rate him which I think is far more likely than people think, will he just down tools on him as well?

Nobody wanted to take him off our hands this summer for a good reason. He's not very good.
Awww. Feeling okay? Want a box of tissues?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
LOL. Honestly some people criticize him just for the sake of it. If Manchester United let him go, he'd be out instantly, his agent said so. Only problem is no other is willing to match our asking fee. So it's not that he is here for the money or that he lacks options, he has no other fecking choice other than waiting it out.
You misunderstood, he has no choice right now but if his rumors of a contract extension which have been going on for a while is true, that's where the concern comes in, he should refuse any extension and force the club to move him if he cares about his career. There's no guarantees Mourinho will be gone by the end of the season, and until that happens Martial is going to lose more precious time on the field, just waiting this out and he's far too talented for that. It's such a waste and just a dick-swinging competition between the club's executives and a coach who can't seem to get anything out of a talent like Martial who has shown he's someone who can be productive for this team last season.

SteveW

Don't sit on the fence anyway :lol:

He's a good player and he'll probably do very well if Zidane come in. Even if Jose stays and we end up selling him having him tied down strengthens our position.

I'm kind of amazed at how this guys valuation on here has changed so much without him actually playing much in recent times. Had had 3 player of the month awards by xmas last season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Don't sit on the fence anyway :lol:

He's a good player and he'll probably do very well if Zidane come in. Even if Jose stays and we end up selling him having him tied down strengthens our position.

I'm kind of amazed at how this guys valuation on here has changed so much without him actually playing much in recent times. Had had 3 player of the month awards by xmas last season.
Don't let facts get in the way that this is all Martial's fault.

JohnnyKills

As others have said: if Martial fails under the next manager, he can go. But let's at least give him the chance.

Woodward is right on this one. Mourinho's track record is too risky.

JohnnyKills

Luke Shaw needs to have a word in his ear. There's no reason Martial can't be the player that Mourinho makes a beeline for the next time the final whistle goes to tell him how well he's played.
Agreed.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Had had 3 player of the month awards by xmas last season.
And since then....nothing.
Every time he gets the opportunity to play, he sucks.
For me, he is trading on performances he put in 2 years ago.

The last time I saw him play (vs Brighton), he was abysmal (though, in fairness, most of our team were bad, that day).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
As others have said: if Martial fails under the next manager, he can go. But let's at least give him the chance.

Woodward is right on this one. Mourinho's track record is too risky.
Sure. I can get behind that.

crossy1686

career ending
He has a contract up till 2022. To buy him up if he is on 300,000 pounds a week would cost over 57m at this moment. I bet Woodward would “love” to do that, even next season for over 40m.
We could get around that for him if we sold anyway. We'd just use the fee to cut it short.

ShoePolish

Under LvG this guy was ripping it up, so I'm hoping he comes to an agreement and stays, he just needs his chances. Was in quite a form last year, before we got Sanchez and basically stopped Martial in his tracks by shifting him to right and then dropping after 2 poor games.

Greck

What happened to not buying everything the 'anti-united media' says. Went out the window because of the individuals in question. How can they know Martial's motives for merely considering a contract offer?

forevrared

The last time I saw him play (vs Brighton), he was abysmal (though, in fairness, most of our team were bad, that day).
There's been nothing since then because he was summarily dropped for Alexis Sanchez, who hasn't had a single good patch of form. Martial hasn't had a run of games since the day Sanchez was signed. You can't expect a player at the top of his game, dropped without reason, to be happy about it. It's also ridiculous to expect him to maintain such a high level of play when he's rarely given a chance.

RedMilo

Tony Marshall came from France, English press said he had no chance, £50m down the drain, Tony Marshall scores again!!!! Get in, hope its true..

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What happened to not buying everything the 'anti-united media' says. Went out the window because of the individuals in question. How can they know Martial's motives for merely considering a contract offer?
I can agree that the media like to feed an anti-United or at least anti-Mourinho narrative, but what other logical conclusion could you come to at this point?

R'hllor

Wonder why, something probably happened, guess for no reason. Similar how people went for Rashford`s neck after Sevilla game, 3 days before you score 2 vs your arch enemies for a win and then as reward something probably happened again 3 days after.

RedMilo

There's been nothing since then because he was summarily dropped for Alexis Sanchez, who hasn't had a single good patch of form. Martial hasn't had a run of games since the day Sanchez was signed. You can't expect a player at the top of his game, dropped without reason, to be happy about it. It's also ridiculous to expect him to maintain such a high level of play when he's rarely given a chance.
This..

Greck

I can agree that the media like to feed an anti-United or at least anti-Mourinho narrative, but what other logical conclusion could you come to at this point?
Honestly i don't think there's any anti-united agenda but some of the posters slagging the player in the last page are the ones most actively shooting down every negative article about the manager. Why not extend the same benefit of the doubt to the players?

Kostov

Imagine we get a picture of Martial smiling alongside Jose while signing a new long term contract, wouldn’t that be a sight? Most of you would still fight each other for some different reason.

Stubble

Shaw has turned it around and the manager probably wanted rid of him. Only got a decent run of games to get his consistency and confidence back due to the world cup and injuries. However I fear 1 mistake or a bad game and Mou will put his 'favourite' Young back in ! In other words as many have said give Martial another contract if the next manager has issues with him then sell him from a position of strength - best option all round.. quite amusing that Shaw is tearing it up must be pissing Mou off no end at being proven wrong and not allowing him to bring Young back in apart from on the right where he played shite last time out.

Last edited:

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
One thing I can say about Ed Woodward is that he’s not allowed Martial to be sold and let’s face it, most teams would take the boy

Rysho

Yes.

If he was playing under Poch, Klopp or Pep he'd be ripping it up. His numbers for us weren't even that bad before January either and we're a very very poor attacking side. Imagine him in a good one.

Excited to see him under a more positive coach.
Really dont understand this. His biggest weakness is movement and yet all you are trying to convince themselves and us that he would be great under managers with high demands in off the ball movement and workrate. I could imagine that none of them would even play him as much as Mourinho. He is running only with ball at his feet, when he pass or looses the ball he starts walking towards ball. Mourinho is asking only for defensive responsibility from him and he cannot accomplish this, how he can do running up and down to create space for his teammates in systems under those managers. No way. Not to say the wingers they have at pool and city. He woulnd get into Spurs first team. We dont have sigle classic winger and he is still not able to make RW or LW his own, which is there to take.

Another one is to try him as a centre forward which is even more baffling. This role is absolutely not for him and his style and mentality. This position is all about movement and workrate and you will see the ball only few times during the match and have to make most from it surrounded by CBs and MFs. No one who ever played football would say he is more suited for CF. He is really shit with his back to the goal. He is more effective when he can prepare position for himself on the wing and run at defenders. He wouldn't have such a opportunities as a CF.

In preseason he was playing against mediocre teams and was not able to do anything. I really like him as a player since he started against liverpool, but he is really frustrating. The talent is here to see and he just need add a little bit of work to it to be a really great player but somehow he doesnt take his chances and dont care. Sometimes i wonder that its not his will but ability, that he cant last long in high tempo and think his stamina is really on low levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan

L1nk

Martial was showing promise under LVG, as was Rashford, now both are on the fringes, i hope he signs the contract.

buckooo1978

if he signs a contract it says to me that we've definitely pencilled in Mourinho's departure for May at the latest

Status
Not open for further replies.