Anthony Martial averages 8.9 Km per 90 mins this season in the CL

Sadio Mane 10.6 km per 90 mins.

Mo Salah 10.0 km per 90 mins.

Neymar 10.0 km per 90 mins

Bale 9.95 km per 90 mins

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a central player that should be deployed as a LCF. He's not a winger and never has been. If Ole doesn't fancy him centrally, then we have to part ways.

Patrick08

He's a central player that should be deployed as a LCF. He's not a winger and never has been. If Ole doesn't fancy him centrally, then we have to part ways.
He's been played at left centre forward, but he himself never moves inside in goal scoring positions and offers no movement, just stays wide even when there is ample space in behind full backs and between full backs and central defense.

Aloysius's Back 3

Martial makes more runs centrally and from deep than from out wide. He waits for the ball out wide to try take his man & as a winger waiting for the ball breaks down the speed of play.

This is why I say the potential of

Rashford - Martial - Greenwood

Is better than

Martial - Rashford - Greenwood

This is because as the most central player it's okay for him to drop deep, wait for the ball look to take his man on from deep or bring others in to play ie the wingers or sided forwards that makes runs off the passes through the centre.

If he is going to be our LW & LF only he isn't going to be good enough to regulate a starter role. He doesn't make the runs, he doesn't drift wide because he relies on his same finisher like abilities to repeat the cut inside and pass the ball to net move.

However if he is to play centrally as the player that looks for space deep in between the CB & CDM lines of the opposition - he has more ability to be atleast a better player than he is in my opinion.

Not excuses for him but an analysis on the way he plays. I've watched his goals for United - he finds himself in central positions in alot of them making the runs we don't see him doing at LW because as a central player he finds him self earlier in the part of the attack than the last one that attempts to do something from the wing or the sides.

Wouldn't care if he is gone because ultimately he is a player that requires a system to get best out of than a player that can bend his game to fit any system. Would prefer us to have a bit of both but it might not just be the case.

Ashley R1+O

he started 20 matches as a CF for United in 2016 and scored 4 goals according to transfermarkt.
He actually has a better ratio from LWF in all seasons. He doesn't have anything to play CF bar finishing from one side of the goal. His heading is ordinary as is his off the ball movement.
He scored twice in the Southampton game we won 3-2 which was half of those goals from CF. He was absolutely diabolical in that game as well, his holdup play was awful.

mav_9me

I see why you would think that but his movement is fairly abysmal for a centre forward. Admittedly it's better as a CF but still I don't feel he makes enough runs or has the desire to make runs into the box to be at the end of balls coming in.

That's the fundamental problem with him for me anyway. Extremely talented but how much does he actually want it?

Patrick08

Footballing IQ only 50 out of 100. So so lazy. Just pass to Pogba and stand wide with ample space to run in behind and inside.

Ace of Spades

People need to stop making stupid excuses dor him. He is lazy without the ball, and even when he has it, he lacks the intensity in his play.

Ashish Negi

So he is the reason we lost today? Come on guys get some sleep and leave the chap alone

Shejkus

He lost us the game in 10 lazy minutes while Rashford started and did so much more.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedDevil5

This guy is making more than Sane, Son, Eriksen, and probably four times the amount Jota makes. Just disgraceful. Jose was right about him IMO. Very lazy player.

Arka_BleedingRed

Wow, this guy plays about 10 minutes and still there are hate posts on how lazy he is etc. The fans are truly something.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Body language was wrong when he came in and his little smile with Sanchez when they both came said long about his mindset.

I don’t like his attitude, and doesn’t bring much to the side actually.

Plays on the wing for 3 or 4 years but can’t properly cross the ball.

Unfortunately we gave him his contract two months ago, but I would be happy if another club comes for him.

I don’t want to compare but Sterling, Bernardo, Sane, Mahrez, Salah, Mane, Son, Eriksen are so so so better than him…

Next year will be definetly make or break for him.

AngliaRed

Walks about and acts like Cantona, but is the most laziest, I cant be assed player we’ve ever had. Sell him to whoever. Not assed, just get rid.

OGS spends all week talking about players giving 100% and having a reality check yet he selects this clown to be on the bench. Greenwood or Chong deserves his place on the bench, as does Lukaku, who has a touch like a cart horse, but gives it his all and actually runs and tracks back like he cares.

People call Pogba a fecking virus when Martial comes on fresh for 10mins and cant be assed to chase a player 5yards.

crossy1686

career ending
He just hides when things get tough or massive effort is needed. I would say it's a weak mentality more than anything, he folds under any form of pressure.

He's got his new contract, massive pay rise, all undeserved and on the premise he would become our Salah/KDB just because Mourinho called him out. Any other manager does and he'd be playing abroad and we'd be £50+ better off now.

He has to do a lot from this point on to redeem any goodwill. I'd drop him from the team for the rest of the season, give him 10 minutes here and there and tell him this is him from now on unless he starts moving mountains, if he can't be arsed, hand in a transfer request and you'll be gone within a week.

Kaglish10

Another player that needs to be get rid. Criminal to have him on that wage. Maybe we should get Chiesa for our left wing side and Ounas on the right wing.

Litch

He just hides when things get tough or massive effort is needed. I would say it's a weak mentality more than anything, he folds under any form of pressure.

He's got his new contract, massive pay rise, all undeserved and on the premise he would become our Salah/KDB just because Mourinho called him out. Any other manager does and he'd be playing abroad and we'd be £50+ better off now.

He has to do a lot from this point on to redeem any goodwill. I'd drop him from the team for the rest of the season, give him 10 minutes here and there and tell him this is him from now on unless he starts moving mountains, if he can't be arsed, hand in a transfer request and you'll be gone within a week.
This place. No point just singling out individual players like it's their problem we are in an absolute mess. This is nothing to do with his new contract as the issues are also applicable to other players too. People are not sure where this club is going and neither do the fans. The fans 'performances' on here have been as shite and inconsistent as the players.

crossy1686

career ending
This place. No point just singling out individual players like it's their problem we are in an absolute mess. This is nothing to do with his new contract as the issues are also applicable to other players too. People are not sure where this club is going and neither do the fans. The fans 'performances' on here have been as shite and inconsistent as the players.
I've been consistent on Martial since Mourinho was here. We don't need players that out right refuse to play for the manager, no matter how combustive he is. We've got lunatics running the asylum.

It used to be a player issue because no one questioned Fergie. Now it's every managers fault instead. Something doesn't add up...

Litch

I've been consistent on Martial since Mourinho was here. We don't need players that out right refuse to play for the manager, no matter how combustive he is. We've got lunatics running the asylum.

It used to be a player issue because no one questioned Fergie. Now it's every managers fault instead. Something doesn't add up...
No idea but anyone who suggests it's the players, not sure how consistently irrespective of their individual circumstances, age, personalities, culture etc, it's all on them. For me, there's something in the fabric in the club and irrespective of who comes in, is met with this the first day of training....

Web of Bissaka

Wow, this guy plays about 10 minutes and still there are hate posts on how lazy he is etc. The fans are truly something.
This post is really something.

10 minutes cameo is so short and not enough for a player to make any impact at all.

If a player just jogging around or worse -- just strolling, and when the ball is on his feet, he decided to pass it back like he don't want it, etc etc.
That's all because of that 10 mins, not the player being lazy.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ever since he's come back from injury he's been woeful. I love Anthony but he must find the motivation for himself as well. Outsiders can only do so much.

It's clear his confidence at the moment is on the floor.

However, I will also say that he should be given a chance to play centrally. The coaching team should help him with this. At the moment, it's just Rash and Lingard who are getting all the attention. The problem with this (apart from clear bias), is that neither of those two are clinical in front of goal. I feel we need to play him closer to goal.
In fact, we should do what LVG was doing and pair him with Rash as they would compliment each other. It worked with LVG and it will work here. It's like LVG pairing Smalling and Blind - each complimented the other.

At the moment, Ole is favouring two workhorses, but you need balance. You also need the work rate and the finesse. Say what you will about Anthony but he's far more collected in front of goal than anyone else we have. So why is the coaching team not utilising this more?

It's simplistic to say he's lazy. It's clear he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and the confidence has dropped. By the same token though, only he can help himself and he needs to forget about everything else and up his intensity. That bit is all on him.

RedIan

Id agree Martial is a better finisher than Rashford, (marginal) however he lacks apptitude and has a poor attitude.

Rashford on the other hand is a good player who also works his socks off for the team.

There is no place in our squad for players who do not give 100% effort in every game and sadly Martial time and again has shown he cannot apply himself consistantly and give that effort. He has the odd game where he looks brilliant but also far too many when he looks disinterested and hardly has a kick.

crossy1686

career ending
No idea but anyone who suggests it's the players, not sure how consistently irrespective of their individual circumstances, age, personalities, culture etc, it's all on them. For me, there's something in the fabric in the club and irrespective of who comes in, is met with this the first day of training....
Agree, there's something in the culture of the club that's toxic, which is why I think Solskjær is the right man for the job. Changing a culture at a work place is hard and takes time, you also have to clear out the people that contribute to a negative work environment and bring in people who are happy to be there and agree with the management. Martial plays like he's either un-sellable or just doesn't buy into doing things any way but his own.

shaky

He just shirks responsibilty. Gets the ball, makes a half hearted attempt to go down the wing, then turns round and passes backwards, so many times. Never seems to be willing to try and actually create something himself. Doesn't help that his passing leaves a lot to be desired. He's the last person we need to be bringing on when looking for some inspiration. Maybe he's better in the CF role but I've certainly had enough of him on the left.

Arka_BleedingRed

This post is really something.

10 minutes cameo is so short and not enough for a player to make any impact at all.

If a player just jogging around or worse -- just strolling, and when the ball is on his feet, he decided to pass it back like he don't want it, etc etc.
That's all because of that 10 mins, not the player being lazy.
Cmon, reply honestly, when did he stroll? In his 10 min cameo, I saw him track back multiple times, even press the opponent once or twice. It seems that repeating a lie more than once makes it a truth here nowadays.

It's not that I am saying that he is blameless. Far from it. His positioning in attack is poor, often he is seen hugging the byline when he is clearly no winger. His dribbling has become inconsistent, his movements are more or less the same as before. And yes, he is sometimes too passive in the game.

But to repeat the same lie match after match without actually verifying it and seeing it being as accepted as truth is totally unacceptable. Is running like a mad man the only important thing in football? We have Lingard who will run a lot, but the moment they get the ball, they will lose the ball through either bad decisions or poor technical skills. So, what is the use of all the harrying and bustling if they don't know what to do after that?

K13

His movement is fantastic it is just we don't have the personnel to thread the ball where he wants it and when he wants it. The only midfield player to play with his head up is Pogba and he does not get much service either. You don't develop the high level of technical ability Martial has if you are lazy.

I can think of numerous examples when Martial's passing vision and pass weight has been top notch. His football intelligence has never been questioned by any pundit or coach. He even got praise from Jose for his defensive stint and increasing awareness, which he did very well last might. He sprinted 70+ yards to track B Silva on a dangerous run and used his body to shield and then shepherd the ball out for a goal kick.

We need a bit more class further back to help him show his class.

He does not have the licence to roam that Hazard has at Chelsea or Messi at Barcelona and it may well be that he is instructed to hug the left touchline. Neymar, Sanchez and Pedro were also given that brief at Barcelona to allow Messi room to play and move. So given he always plays when he is fit - they are having to be careful with his game time due to long standing issues - then I really don't see what the problem is.

The club know they have a fantastic player on their hands and unless he wants to go - which there has been no suggestion - then he is with us for a few more years and hopefully we can give him the right kind of service to showcase his talent.

RuudTom83

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Martial swap wings during a match or drift far from his starting position.

I know it looks like he hates playing football most of the time, but changing his position for 5-10 minutes during a game wouldn’t do him any harm.

Considering United don’t really have and wingers I’d play him in a front 2 with Pogba roaming behind.

Red_toad

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Martial swap wings during a match or drift far from his starting position.

I know it looks like he hates playing football most of the time, but changing his position for 5-10 minutes during a game wouldn’t do him any harm.

Considering United don’t really have and wingers I’d play him in a front 2 with Pogba roaming behind.
We're narrow enough as it is, that'd make the problem even worse.
Martial will be better next season, if we have a successful transfer window, I don't see him as a major issue in our team, he's very creative and has an eye for goals playing on the left side of our attack.

RuudTom83

We're narrow enough as it is, that'd make the problem even worse.
Martial will be better next season, if we have a successful transfer window, I don't see him as a major issue in our team, he's very creative and has an eye for goals playing on the left side of our attack.
Haha can the problem really get any worse.

Aloysius's Back 3

I like him when he plays deep as a false 9.

He drops deep both at LW and CF - but that isn't good enough for a winger who should be making runs in behind the defence. However as a CF he drops deep to get the ball to feet - then turns to directly take the defence on or make a short pass to another forward before making a run to receive the pass back to him.

He doesn't do that at LW & whilst I have questioned his attitude - part of me thinks its just not a part of his game as a winger in comparison to playing deep as a forward.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Has to take responsibility for it himself too, but I do think he has been unfortunately developed at the club. Should be a lot better by now but has lost a bit of his strengths and what he has earned in well-roundedness is not coming off, at all.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Deservedly dropped in the last two games. Hope that gives him a kick up the backside.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Deservedly dropped in the last two games. Hope that gives him a kick up the backside.
It won't. He's on a reported 250k a week, and has a smoking hot wife. I'm sure he's perfectly content with life.

Some players want to be the best, some want to earn a lot of money. Martial is in the latter bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.