5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OohAahMartial

I'm done with him too. He has only two tricks, standing start dribble and cutting inside to shoot into the top far corner, and these have been found out and prevented by doubling up, forcing him to pass back uselessly or give away possession Hasn't developed whatsoever since he joined and doesn't seem to have any desire to play or improve. Laziest of all our players, so its bizarre we gave him a new contract--hardly survival of the fittest.

He reminds me of Depay and Quaresma, and might not even have a career as good as them. Like Mads Timm, talent isn't enough without mentality. But we are stuck with him as a squad player until next Summer.

thepolice123

I feel his time is up. Going through another round of Nani here for us. We wanted so desperately for him to suceed and we used to bring up the same trite excuse for Nani.

"he just needs the string of games to get confidence"

"It our playing style"

"He doesn't play well with Rooney"

"He needs to play in his favoured position"

"The talent is there"

Bobski

It was injuries that killed Nani after 2012. Martial doesn't have that excuse, easily our most disappointing player, his mentality and lack of hunger is his major issue and really stands out when compared to his peers, Son, Mane, Sterling, Salah, Martial can't afford to work less hard than they do.

Strachans Cigar

Incredibly annoying that he clearly upped his game & efforts before winning a new contract. Sadly, amongst the current crock of shit we have, I suspect that isn’t an untypical attitude. Need to offload I think.

Can see why Mourinho wanted Perisic instead.

Andersonson

Mentality is the most important thing a top athlete must have. He got 1/10 of the mentality needed. Sell him before it influences youth players

Betson

Really disappointing how he has progressed , has talent no doubt but you need far more than that to succeed at the very top level. Seems to lack that drive and determination that would make him take the next step up.

Successive managers have now tried and failed to get that out of him.

IrishMcD

Wonder would any club take a chance on him for say, £60m? All the ability in the world but doesn't seem to have the hunger or desire.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Wonder would any club take a chance on him for say, £60m? All the ability in the world but doesn't seem to have the hunger or desire.
That's a pretty high sum, but could be doable. Would they offer a contract as good as what he has now with United? Because that's another huge stumbling block for a player completely out of form.

edgar allan

Especially disappointing as the Martial chant is top class......sadly the English press were right.

Denis79

Really disappointing how he has progressed , has talent no doubt but you need far more than that to succeed at the very top level. Seems to lack that drive and determination that would make him take the next step up.

Successive managers have now tried and failed to get that out of him.
Agree with all of this.

Art Vandelay

Who would have that kind of money, a spot in their team for him and be desperate enough to put up with his lack of effort? I think we're stuck.

Womp

idiot
I feel his time is up. Going through another round of Nani here for us. We wanted so desperately for him to suceed and we used to bring up the same trite excuse for Nani.

"he just needs the string of games to get confidence"

"It our playing style"

"He doesn't play well with Rooney"

"He needs to play in his favoured position"

"The talent is there"

Martial isn’t fit to lace Nani’s boots. Nani for 18 months was one of the best players in the World. Has come up with some huge moments to win us games and trophies. He was inconsistent but still far more capable than Martial has been for us

Saf94

I definitely think Martial is done here but I want to give him some defence to be balanced.

The guy is a dribbler, he wants to take on his man and drive into the box to create openings and chances to shoot. The way we are set up is literally the worst possible set up for his style. We bring the ball forward slowly and when we do have the ball in the opposition half we overload the left side of the pitch. This means all the opposition defenders are on that side and it’s super easy for them to double/triple up on him.

Martials biggest issue is that we have no right hand side threat and that we don’t play aggressively enough or on the counter to allow him space to go 1 on 1 against his defender. In LVGs system we played wingers super wide and stretched the pitch as much as possible and he got tons of space in that system, just like Pep does that style of football encourages wing play that’s why Pep loves his wingers.

Martial should go because his work ethic is poor but also he’s just a terrible fit for our team and style right now. I think in a team like Dortmund he could thrive

haram

I'm done with him too. He has only two tricks, standing start dribble and cutting inside to shoot into the top far corner, and these have been found out and prevented by doubling up, forcing him to pass back uselessly or give away possession Hasn't developed whatsoever since he joined and doesn't seem to have any desire to play or improve. Laziest of all our players, so its bizarre we gave him a new contract--hardly survival of the fittest.

He reminds me of Depay and Quaresma, and might not even have a career as good as them. Like Mads Timm, talent isn't enough without mentality. But we are stuck with him as a squad player until next Summer.
Might need to change your username.

SAFMUTD

We did a major feck up renewing his contract with such high wages, we will be stuck with him with no potential resale value.

Steven-UK

We did a major feck up renewing his contract with such high wages, we will be stuck with him with no potential resale value.
Welcome to Manchester United in 2019....

1) Mediocre players on silly wages.
2) Always taking the easy option.
3) Total lack of ambition.
4) A squad full of social media stars instead of football elite.

And you just KNOW, that in the summer we will be broadcasting every single interest we have in every player we go for, which will result in increased competition, losing potential buys, and then paying WAY over the odds in fees, and wages as a result for the players we almost beg to come here.

Champagne Football

He's an amazing striker. Impossible to tell still if he will cut it out on the left. I'd almost love to see Zaha brought back for the left wing with Rashford and Martial dividing the striker role next season

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I’d ship him out in the summer for a less talented player who wants it more, because this kid has no drive, he shows up every now and again, shows us what talent he has and then goes back into his shell for weeks at a time, just look at most wingers in the league they all work there bollix and here is this fella strolling around when we are getting smashed.

redIndianDevil

Yes he had a bad game. But since we have given him a new contract and signing a RW is of an higher priority we have to persist with him. He had obviously got the talent but we have to fix our problems in the team. We still have all the problems that we had under Mourinho, shite passing, deep defence and lack of organized pressing. We really have to appoint a coach to the best out of him and the team.

redshaw

I’d ship him out in the summer for a less talented player who wants it more, because this kid has no drive, he shows up every now and again, shows us what talent he has and then goes back into his shell for weeks at a time, just look at most wingers in the league they all work there bollix and here is this fella strolling around when we are getting smashed.
One of the issues is he's a striker who doesn't want to be playing out wide and then defending.

Dan_F

The problem isn’t that he’s being played on the left, it’s that he hasn’t developed his game at all to play there. In terms of attributes and potential, why should he be a pure striker who isn’t suitable to the left, but Zaha, Neymar etc are all considered left wingers.

He should have been working on crossing with his left foot all this time, maybe then defenders wouldn’t be able to just show him down the line every time.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The problem isn’t that he’s being played on the left, it’s that he hasn’t developed his game at all to play there. In terms of attributes and potential, why should he be a pure striker who isn’t suitable to the left, but Zaha, Neymar etc are all considered left wingers.

He should have been working on crossing with his left foot all this time, maybe then defenders wouldn’t be able to just show him down the line every time.
Neymar has been centrally this season, at least for his club. Regardless of position name, the biggest issue with Martial is lack of versality when he runs at players, you know the kinda dribble he does and you know the passes he looks for. He is an easy player to defend against because his game is read too easily.
Neymar and even Zaha vary their actions enough to confuse opponents, they can go right or left

Dan_F

Neymar has been centrally this season, at least for his club. Regardless of position name, the biggest issue with Martial is lack of versality when he runs at players, you know the kinda dribble he does and you know the passes he looks for. He is an easy player to defend against because his game is read too easily.
Neymar and even Zaha vary their actions enough to confuse opponents, they can go right or left
Yeah I know. That’s why I’m saying he should have been practising using his left foot. My point is that there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to play there.

He has the same glaring issues when he plays as a striker anyway, so I’m not sure how playing him centrally makes a difference.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah I know. That’s why I’m saying he should have been practising using his left foot. My point is that there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to play there.

He has the same glaring issues when he plays as a striker anyway, so I’m not sure how playing him centrally makes a difference.
It won't at all as far I'm concerned. His best football has him coming from the left and cutting inside. There is this weird fascination for him as a striker on the caf, a position he hasn't played a lot during his career

Smores

What's happened to the martial fc lot who defended him to high heaven every week under Jose? He's playing worse under Ole than Jose and suddenly they've disappeared.

We should go back to 2 up front in our final two games with Martial Rashford and Pogba in behind. Easy teams so they'll perform no doubt

edgar allan

He's an amazing striker. Impossible to tell still if he will cut it out on the left. I'd almost love to see Zaha brought back for the left wing with Rashford and Martial dividing the striker role next season
Be a serious struggle for 6th next year with that forward line

K13

What's happened to the martial fc lot who defended him to high heaven every week under Jose? He's playing worse under Ole than Jose and suddenly they've disappeared.

We should go back to 2 up front in our final two games with Martial Rashford and Pogba in behind. Easy teams so they'll perform no doubt
I am a massive fan and still very much believe we have a potential world class talent on our hands.

He is clearly coachable and listens as even Mourinho was won over by the end.

There are clear indications that he is very well liked and popular in the squad which is very important.

His biggest problem that Ole has alluded to is he does not realise how good he is so I don't think he would have been one of the players who needed a 'reality check'.

In view of the Matic, De Gea and Pogba postings over the last couple of days it is clear that Ole has ensured that they are the ones who should take responsibility for the defeat/attitude as the most experienced players and crucial components of the team spine.

It is credit to Martial's and Rashford's talent that they were named by Neville as needing more from as both have only really been regulars for a few months. To be on the list with Pogba, De Gea, Lukakau & Sanchez is some testament. Matic, Lingard, Lindelof are regulars and have under performed but they were not mentioned.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

It's almost as if people defended him when he deserved to be defended and is being criticized when he deserves to be criticized.....shocking!

Smores

It's almost as if people defended him when he deserved to be defended and is being criticized when he deserves to be criticized.....shocking!
:lol: yeah right, every excuse was made for a bad performance previously. There's nothing new in his recent performances all the previous arguments about his mentality and work rate are the same

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol: yeah right, every excuse was made for a bad performance previously. There's nothing new in his recent performances all the previous arguments about his mentality and work rate are the same
No, you just couldn't see what was always in front of you. It took failure under another manager to realise, because "Martial FC" had convinced themselves it was Jose that was ruining him.
Alright, let's rewind the clock. When Martial FC was defending him (as far as I remember), Jose was benching him consistently and barely gave him the time of day for a poor Sanchez that came in when Martial was one of the players actually performing for this team (a rare commodity). However, Mourinho knew his days were getting numbered and started throwing him on, then Martial went on a scoring tear winning this team games, notably his double against Chelsea.

Now, I don't follow this thread as much as I used to, but I haven't really heard anyone complaining about Martial's treatment under OGS, or coming up with excuses for his form these last few months. You folks talking about where's Martial FC were probably the same who avoided this thread like the plague when he was actually United's main threat for a goal in Mourinho's last couple of months. It's okay to be both complimentary and critical of a player when the time calls for it.

Stacks

His first season here under Louis. He looked lethal at times considering he was still a teenager and in a much tough league for first time
:houllier: Since when does one season qualify you as amazing? you need repeated performance for that level of praise.

he started 20 matches as a CF for United in 2016 and scored 4 goals according to transfermarkt.
He actually has a better ratio from LWF in all seasons. He doesn't have anything to play CF bar finishing from one side of the goal. His heading is ordinary as is his off the ball movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.