Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Hard to blame him, at least he could control the ball. Plays as a wing back in the first half, then needs to run 60 yards with the ball and is constantly up against their entire defence with no support (no, lukaku doesnt count).

Better tactics will get more consistency out of everyone.
Yeah played hell of a fecking wing back for the goal too.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He ran out of gas. It is a common thing with him after playing 2-3 games in a row. The sad thing is that is just a direct result of a lack of off the pitch commitment and work. He is just not a Ronaldo off the pitch. Wonderful talent though. We should go back to having him rotate and fight for that left wing spot with Rashford.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He ran out of gas. It is a common thing with him after playing 2-3 games in a row. We should go back to having him rotate and fight for that left wing spot with Rashford.
We’ve been told he needs to play consistent football on one side for the past 2 years!

Trizy

He instantly had 2 and 3 men on him when he got the ball, it was obviously a tactic Juventus used. We've seen similar tactics against him during his time here and it nullifies him, obviously.

They tried something similar on Pogba but Pogba just has that exact quality and space in midfield to make something happen where as Martial is already sectioned off by the touch line.

Yes, he was shite tonight but it's unfair to judge him given what he was up against. Rashford had much more space on the right and created absolutely feck all.

Raven

He ran out of gas. It is a common thing with him after playing 2-3 games in a row. The sad thing is that is just a direct result of a lack of off the pitch commitment and work. He is just not a Ronaldo off the pitch. Wonderful talent though. We should go back to having him rotate and fight for that left wing spot with Rashford.
:confused::confused: He's played full seasons?

tomaldinho1

I don't think he was that bad - his only real option when he had the ball was to take on 2-3 players.

A couple of sloppy passes here and there which he should tidy up but overall can't expect much and was actually tracking back a decent amount

spiriticon

Why is it when Martial is good it is all his own amazingness, but when he is terrible it's everyone else's fault?? :confused:

kundalini

Apart from his run and shot from outside the box in the 2nd half that was saved without too much trouble, almost everything else went wrong, poor choices, poor touches, late tracking back. Juventus did a good job shutting him down but he ready didn't help himself tonight.

Raven

I think he needs to be given freedom across the front, it seems every team we play has a specific plan for him. They contain him with 2 or 3 players on the touchline and he's forced to pass backwards. He needs to be losing his markers by moving across the front. Happens to all the great wide players these days (Hazard, Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Bale), it's probably just so it's harder to mark them.

Jaxa

Apart from his run and shot from outside the box in the 2nd half, almost everything else went wrong, poor choices, poor touches.
Yes!

I can't get my head around this place sometimes, there's honestly people defending him with some ridiculous excuses because he's some goldenboy here but will rip into Ashley Young for example who busted a gut but isn't french and has a bit of trickery,

Martial will NEVER, never reach any kind of world class level until he put the work in off the ball, his movement is attrocius at times and looks like a 1 trick pony for the majority, great skill, but I just dont think he has a footballing brain, he isn't intelligent enough and therefor decision making is very poor

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think he needs to be given freedom across the front, it seems every team we play has a specific plan for him. They contain him with 2 or 3 players on the touchline and he's forced to pass backwards. He needs to be losing his markers by moving across the front. Happens to all the great wide players these days (Hazard, Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Bale), it's probably just so it's harder to mark them.
He had a free role a lot in the second half.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yes!

I can't get my head around this place sometimes, there's honestly people defending him with some ridiculous excuses because he's some goldenboy here but will rip into Ashley Young for example who busted a gut but isn't french and has a bit of trickery,

Martial will NEVER, never reach any kind of world class level until he put the work in off the ball, his movement is attrocius at times and looks like a 1 trick pony for the majority, great skill, but I just dont think he has a footballing brain, he isn't intelligent enough and therefor decision making is very poor
A lot went wrong for him tonight and he had a shit game but he surely was moving and also attempting several of his one-twos he liked. They just weren’t working tonight. He had a couple of runs that he received good passes on, he just had an unusually poor touch. It happens. He was also too hesitant tonight. Against a team like Juve, that will cost you.

Nonetheless, it can’t be denied that teams pay a lot more attention to him than they do to Rashford on the other wing. I love Rashford, but he is actually the definition of a one trick pony on the ball hence why teams don’t respect him as much.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
So many poor decisions, poor positioning, poor body language. Just as he lived up to all the positive Caf stereotypes vs Chelsea, he ticked all the negative Caf stereotypes tonight. You'd feel like kicking him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Young player is inconsistent shock horror.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This was just a frustrated performance by the whole team, you could see Martial and others at times trying to get the players moving when they had the ball, it was such poor movement. He really needs to improve his passing, especially because Juventus made sure to have 2-3 players on him whenever he had the ball, he's commanding the attention but the lack of movement from others coupled with his poor passing makes it impossible to take advantage of it.

Backrow Singer

Needs to learn to compose himself and release the ball to players in a better position than himself. At times there was a lack of movement but there were certainly examples tonight where he had options and made the wrong decision. Needs to be better, if he’s able to be better.

ash_86

Had a stinker today. Lost possession more time than i could count and also could've done better to stop the cross for the goal. He's still young and hope he learns from his mistakes.

Red_toad

Young player is inconsistent shock horror.
He’s 23 in just over a month. So will he get better then?
He’s played as a winger, they by definition are inconsistent. He’s experienced enough and old enough not to be classed as a young player. Was identified as a danger by Juve as was nullified. In games like that he needs to try harder, but often just goes missing...

Red_Ramirez

Yes!

It's ridiculous isnt it?. If Martial put in the effort and left everything on the pitch as Young does week in week out we'd have some player.

Unfortunately at the moment watching Martial is so frustrating, last night against Juve was typical of him

Ashley R1+O

This performance was identical to the Chelsea game, only he banged in two vs. Chelsea. He's a dice roll player and can't be trusted and yet he's our 'first choice'. There is not much you can do but sit back and hope for the best with him. I don't know where we should play him or what we should do with him, who knows. It gives me headaches trying to work him out.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He’s 23 in just over a month. So will he get better then?
He’s played as a winger, they by definition are inconsistent. He’s experienced enough and old enough not to be classed as a young player. Was identified as a danger by Juve as was nullified. In games like that he needs to try harder, but often just goes missing...
Consistenly playing is what determines your experience not your age.

He didnt have a good game. It can happen lets see how he bounces back.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I am a big fan of his but Martial was really poor last night. His tactic of staying wide/deep and waiting for the ball then trying to beat 2/3 players just won't work against these top sides, especially a well organised one such as Juve. Needs to mix up his game and make some runs in behind the full back / off Lukaku.

The thing is, I feel like I have written the above many a time over the years - he doesn't seem to have worked on it at all.

A player who's defined by split moments of magic yet I've rarely seen a overall,consistent outstanding game from him.

EDIT: Actually,to be fair to Martial he played really well against Burton last year.
A constant thorn against Burton's backline.

Last edited:

Mcking

A player performing inconsistently in an inconsistent team? Nah, crucify him crucify him.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The amount of times Luke Shaw made an overlapping run only for Martial to misplace a 5 yard pass was maddening. We would then get counter attacked, while Luke Shaw bust his guts to get back all because Martial inexplicably can't make a 5 yard fecking pass. Infuriating player.

I am a big fan of his but Martial was really poor last night. His tactic of staying wide/deep and waiting for the ball then trying to beat 2/3 players just won't work against these top sides, especially a well organised one such as Juve. Needs to mix up his game and make some runs in behind the full back / off Lukaku.

The thing is, I feel like I have written the above many a time over the years - he doesn't seem to have worked on it at all.
This is Jose's tactics tbh

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
His inability to pass the ball accurately over 5 to 10 yards is a massive problem. And it’s as evident in games where he scores (and, hence, avoids all criticism) as it is in games like last night.
He seems to find it extremely difficult to pass to moving targets. He always passes it as if they're stationary, never seems to play it properly infront in the direction they're running

kiristao

He looked far better when he drifted inside. Always seemed like he would make something happen. It did not work out for him yesterday unfortunately.

tomaldinho1

Remember this is where Mou wants him - I don't think he wants to be LW at all. Don't get why people are attacking him - he was clearly identified by Juve as our only real threat and they just snuffed him out. If you genuinely think 'his tactic' was wanting to beat 2-3 players I suggest you watch some of the highlights, as soon as he gets the ball he gets swamped because he is probably our only player who can consistently take on a full back 1vs1.

Some of his short passing was way off, which is frustrating but I don't know what you would realistically expect from him. I don't think anyone is saying he's untouchable or this golden boy but he is the most exciting of our attacking players and if we had other threats (an RW and CF) that warranted special attention as he does he'd get way more space and time on the ball to be positive.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Yes!

It's ridiculous that some believe his lack of effort isn't an issue. His passing was so fecking lazy yesterday, his movement was non-existent and he must have destroyed about 7 or 8 potential attacks. He is quite possibly the most talented player in our squad however, if he refuses to put in the effort, the talent will never amount to anything.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
This is Jose's tactics tbh
Remember this is where Mou wants him - I don't think he wants to be LW at all. Don't get why people are attacking him - he was clearly identified by Juve as our only real threat and they just snuffed him out. If you genuinely think 'his tactic' was wanting to beat 2-3 players I suggest you watch some of the highlights, as soon as he gets the ball he gets swamped because he is probably our only player who can consistently take on a full back 1vs1.

Some of his short passing was way off, which is frustrating but I don't know what you would realistically expect from him. I don't think anyone is saying he's untouchable or this golden boy but he is the most exciting of our attacking players and if we had other threats (an RW and CF) that warranted special attention as he does he'd get way more space and time on the ball to be positive.
They very well may be Jose's tactics however as I said in the post you quoted. This is a criticism I have had of Martial even under LVG. Capable of brilliance with his dribbling from wide, but we never really saw him him make a run in behind, how many times have we seen Martial get 1v1 with a keeper or have a tap in at the back post for example? It's been an issue with his game even in his first 2 seasons with us.

BTW just to reiterate, I am a huge fan. He is one of the few players in our squad that I believe belong on a stage like last night (on his day).

JohnnyKills

Was poor last night. Should have cut out the cross for the goal and his passing was seriously sloppy. Also his movement was practically non-existent.

What's weird is that he carried the team forward in the second half against Newcastle, so it's not like he's downed tools on Mourinho.

Wonder whether it's a mentality issue - Juve just bullied him out of the game. Hopefully he and Mourinho's replacement can resolve it.

His movement is usually non-existent,and actually its probably the major criticism levelled at him since he's been here.
He doesn't move a great deal.He likes the ball to feet and always has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.