Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani

Think that will be the case. Costa is apparently willing to sign for them and be loaned out until Jan.
To loan out Costa, first they need to sign him right? or any other way that Costa can stay away from football and sign for them in Jan?

Mani

This contract extension could be something similar to Ronaldo/Suarez esque,staying one year and leave next,I wouldn't be surprised if release clause gets increased.It would be difficult to judge right now weather we would go for him next year as we had signed no one yet.If we sign both Morata and Bellotti then we can forgot about Griezmann coming next season.

Mani

A.Madrid can sign whoever they want. They just cant register any new players for one window. AFAIK. Theoretically they can sign Costa and loan him out.
Cheers, I forgot about player registration completely.Agree its possible for them to sign and loam him out.Costa and Griezmann both can still be A.Madrid players in coming Jan as I can see cup tied players moving to other clubs are rare.

WPMUFC

This contract extension could be something similar to Ronaldo/Suarez esque,staying one year and leave next,I wouldn't be surprised if release clause gets increased.It would be difficult to judge right now weather we would go for him next year as we had signed no one yet.If we sign both Morata and Bellotti then we can forgot about Griezmann coming next season.
That Ruiz guy confirmed there was no increase in release clause?

gr3yham3

If we leave the no.7 jersey free after this window will be a big sign that he is coming after one more season.

OohAahMartial

We can't wait for him. Jose can't wait for him. If we go into this season underpowered and finish outside the top 4 again he will be sacked. Griezmann has missed his chance.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So does anyone else feel like meh, you had your chance and you didn't take it, we needed you this season and you didn't want to come, I hope we move on now and forget about him, there will be better options next summer and he's not a player like Mbappe or Verrati who you would dream about and wait for a year to come to the club,

Au Revoir Antoine
Will there though?

Fair enough if there is. If somebody else is ripping it up and eager to come to us, great. But Griezmann is one of the best players around and it's very likely that he'll still be the best option in 12 months time.

The biggest risk for him is if we sign somebody else this window for that role who does extremely well. Which is a possibility, as we can't be expected to just wait around.

Kidders

How about we sign Diego Costa and do a swap deal with Athletico for Griezman in January ?
We both agree not to play them in the CL (we have Morata, Rashford, Martial they have Torres etc)
We only have to put up with cnut for 6 months and then use him as chick bait for AG7

ReallyUSA

How about we sign Diego Costa and do a swap deal with Athletico for Griezman in January ?
We both agree not to play them in the CL (we have Morata, Rashford, Martial they have Torres etc)
We only have to put up with cnut for 6 months and then use him as chick bait for AG7
Let it go.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Was reluctant to join us without UCL football.

There is simply no guarantee that we will be playing in it the following season.

We need to sign players this season, even if that means someone else within the position that we intended playe Griezzmann.

Our best finish in 4 years has been 4th. This team needs a lot of work. And it needs it now.

CG1010

Was reluctant to join us without UCL football.

There is simply no guarantee that we will be playing in it the following season.

We need to sign players this season, even if that means someone else within the position that we intended playe Griezzmann.

Our best finish in 4 years has been 4th. This team needs a lot of work. And it needs it now.
If we are not in top 4 next season, Griezmann would be least of our problems (unless we win the CL).

Trizy

Is he really coming in January though? Think the ship has sailed.

RC89

A.Madrid can sign whoever they want. They just cant register any new players for one window. AFAIK. Theoretically they can sign Costa and loan him out.
Barca did the same with Arda Turan did they not?

RC89

We can't wait for him. Jose can't wait for him. If we go into this season underpowered and finish outside the top 4 again he will be sacked. Griezmann has missed his chance.
Will we really be that underpowered though? For me he's likely to take Mkhitaryan/Matas appearances for the most part. Are we really going to buy anyone significantly better than either of those anyway without it being Griezman?

Mani

He is supposed to be very reliable when it comes to Atletico Madrid.
COPE are linking to his story

Pretty sure it's legit.
Then I think there should be some pre contract agreement between us and Griezmann to sign him next summer.He would be year older but still would be great signing.

Axkiko

No chance to getting him on January. No player would join a new club for half season before World cup. It's too risky for him unless he has already settled some kind of agreement with us.

Also, can he play CL game after January?

OohAahMartial

Will we really be that underpowered though? For me he's likely to take Mkhitaryan/Matas appearances for the most part. Are we really going to buy anyone significantly better than either of those anyway without it being Griezman?
Morata will do well to score as many as Ibra. Perisic may score 10 which is a bit more than our LW options last year but not by much. We would still lack goals big time, and if we play 4-3-3 we would see a lot more 0-0 draws. If we play 4-2-3-1 we need a second striker. If not Griezmann then James. If not James then Morata with Belotti as #9.

Robertd0803

If the release clause is the same then I fully expect to see him join next summer the second the window opens.

But I have a sneaking suspicion we will sign him January 31st.

RC89

Morata will do well to score as many as Ibra. Perisic may score 10 which is a bit more than our LW options last year but not by much. We would still lack goals big time, and if we play 4-3-3 we would see a lot more 0-0 draws. If we play 4-2-3-1 we need a second striker. If not Griezmann then James. If not James then Morata with Belotti as #9.
Yeah, I taqke your point. TBH, goals is my biggest concern too. I'm just hoping Morata replacing Ibra will have a similar effect to Saha replacing RVN. Maybe we'll have less of a dependance on our main strikers and goals will be distributed more amongst the team. Saying that though, RVN departure did coincide with Ronaldo becoming a complete beast.

Last edited:

Cantona_Forever

Agree with everyone that if the release clause stays the same it means this transfer is still on, likely next summer, otherwise A. Madrid would insist on an increased one along with increased wage.

OohAahMartial

Yeah, I taqke your point. TBH, goals is my biggest concern too. I'm JUST hoping Morata replacing Ibra will have a similar effect to Saha replacing RVN. Maybe we'll have less of a dependance on our main strikers and goals will be distributed more amongst the team. Saying that though, RVN departure did coincide with Ronaldo becoming a complete beast.
I think Mhki, Mata, Martial and Rashford got plenty of chances but their chance conversion percentages were around 9-10% which is too poor. It is a concern also that Perisic has a similar conversion percentage. Losing out on Griezmann is a huge blow. Everything depends on Jose's plan B.

Jaxa

Will there though?

Fair enough if there is. If somebody else is ripping it up and eager to come to us, great. But Griezmann is one of the best players around and it's very likely that he'll still be the best option in 12 months time.

The biggest risk for him is if we sign somebody else this window for that role who does extremely well. Which is a possibility, as we can't be expected to just wait around.
Im not saying that's what the club are going to do rather just how I feel on the situation, hey, if he bangs in 30 goals this season and then we still need a player of his position in our squad im all for it but we needed him most this season and he's decided against it, I also feel/hope our ship is much more steady after this coming season and we start to spend less massive fees on multiple players and rather maybe on that 1 big player/maybe 2 and get cheaper prospects and actually use our scouting department like when SAF was here.

RC89

I think Mhki, Mata, Martial and Rashford got plenty of chances but their chance conversion percentages were around 9-10% which is too poor. It is a concern also that Perisic has a similar conversion percentage. Losing out on Griezmann is a huge blow. Everything depends on Jose's plan B.
I just checked and Perisic has the worst shooting accuracy out of Ibra, Mata, Mkhi, Rashford and Martial (according to Squawka), this is partly mitigated by the fact that he takes significantly more shots than the rest and as a result has a greater goal per 90 than the rest, a shade over Mata.

Does anyone here know how to share a squawka graphic btw?

ovoxo

If the clause remains the same, I think it'll happen next season, realistically, who is available who's of top quality to play behind the striker? I think we'll put it off and play Miki or Mata behind Morata and Griezmann will come in next summer. Somewhat similar to the Ronaldo/Suarez deal.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
If the release clause is the same then I fully expect to see him join next summer the second the window opens.

But I have a sneaking suspicion we will sign him January 31st.
If we're going to buy in January why wait until the last day? Get it done 01.01.2018.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Joking, surely? Couldn't possibly be serious, but the line gets blurred in muppet season.

Cliche Guevara

If we're going to buy in January why wait until the last day? Get it done 01.01.2018.
Yeah, I'd take him in the first week of January.

At the first sign of any fuss or hesitation I'd pull out of the deal permanently. I want us to sign him but don't want us to embarrass ourselves by begging him, and letting him mess us around.

Status
Not open for further replies.