Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

Why would a club brief the press on a matter like this? What is there to gain? If anything it hurts us because we'd lose leverage over clubs with players we want.

Well pretty much every journo tweeted the exact same thing within minutes of each other. It's obvious they've been told something.

United Pro

There's clearly been a briefing, but it looks like we're trying to save face by saying "we didn't really want him anyway" now that Atletico have a transfer ban and Griezmann has perhaps said he doesn't want to leave or Atletico are asking for his release up front, which we're not willing to offer. That, or it's a weird negotiation stance where we're trying to pressure Atletico to sell for less than his release clause/less money up front of his release clause (only works if Griezmann has asked to leave). Either way, there's no chance the briefing is entirely accurate, as otherwise this news would have come out shortly after finding out how serious Zlatan's injury was, not coincidentally a few hours after Atletico has their transfer ban upheld. So, it just looks like a poorly veiled attempt at saving face from our side.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maybe mu think that fellaini is good enough for no 10?

Mr.Plow

Ibra was injured months ago but we were in for Griezzman as recently as last week. This makes feck all sense.

gr3yham3

Why are people giving in so easily? Even if it is a briefing by the club, it is to generate hype and interest, so that when the real news breaks, social media attention will be an absolute high. I am sure we with spin doctors behind all these information going out. All the big transfers have their rollwr coaster rides, none of them are ever smooth sailing. This is all to generate "noise" before the big unveiling. Remember the Pogba saga last year!

James Peril

If I remember correctly, the exact same thing happened to Paul Pogba last year. United were suddenly not interested/player was not interested, then he was signed not long after. To be honest, this saga is 100% similar to Pogba - all the signs were there and now they are too.

Snafu17

The problem with buying a number 9 is that all of the options are either decent but not exactly world class or a child who half the Europe is after and will cost 130m €. None of them is a proven forward who has been top class for about 4 seasons. Well there was Aubameyang but it's bit late for that now.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I always though José moved very swift on his targets and didn't flip-flop? Ibra has been injured for a month now, and our strongest links to this guy came out a week ago. Doesn't add up. Could be pressuring Ibra to sign a new deal?

Klopp_De_Klown

Its a done deal lads, since CL football secured, everyone knew that was the clincher, till then he was only 6/10 and "ready to move". His words Thats why everyone on holiday.

Move on, close this thread. (JOKING) But you get the point.

The only thing that could scupper it is, if Atletico offer a double your existing contract. No new signings = sinking ship, exit stage left.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I reckon we are saying we've cooled our interest as due to Atelti's transfer ban being upheld we now have to pay his release clause all in one go. If we start throwing money around like that it will effect our deals for our other targets as it means the selling clubs of those players have a better leverage in getting more money from us.

I reckon the Griezmann deal is done regardless, it was just always going to be a case of how we paid the fee. I think we are now briefing this news so that we can get our other deals done first and then pay Griezmann's fee last. Maybe I am being naive but just trying to stay positive.

GeorgieBoy

There are still plenty more twists and turns to come in this saga, guaranteed! Lets not lose faith.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Just buy Morata and Griezmann at the same time. There; now the problem is solved.

This sucks if the deal doesn't go through, genuinely looked forward to seeing Griezmann scoring for us. Oh well, let's just wait and see who we get...

Rooney1987

Ibra was injured months ago but we were in for Griezzman as recently as last week. This makes feck all sense.
Doesn't really add up. Also Jose comments after final about Ed having his transfers for weeks which would have included Ibra's injury. Now it's changed? People will say saving face with the ban but I doubt that's true. In my opinion we obviously we don't want to pay £86 mill up front.

macheda14

'Cooled for now - other priorities' I feel we want to get our striker first THEN we'all move for him when we know what kind of striker we've been able to lure on over - could easily be this summer as well. Optimism is healthy....

settembrini

of course we need both, he wouldnt be our priority if that was the case. Ibras injury didnt happen yesterday. We needed a striker anyway after his injury, but also Griezmann, who was a target before and after his injury.
Disagree. For the reasons I've already started.

1. We already have good #10s.
2. We might be signing a new DM and switching to a 4-3-3.

Contrary to what many posters in the transfer forum think United do not have infinite money. We have a budget and will work within that budget. If the injuries to Rojo and Ibrahimovic mean that Mourinho now wants to buy a new centre back and a new striker then that will cost us a lot money. It's logical and realistic that Mourinho might want to reallocate the money that he could have spent on Griezmann to Lukaku and Lindelof (for example).

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
We're just trying to get Atletico to accept an offer below the release clause.

This is going to drag out for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.