Antoine Griezmann | Signs new contract until 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fer

Griezmann signing a new contract and having a higher release clause. Well, I guess we could sign 2 or 3 quality players for that money.
I would love to see him here, but he looks happy in Atletico.

Jean claude van hire

I said the same but FM 2016 brigade went on over drive and slated my posts, looks like we dodged a bullet here, he's average at best and no better that what we have
A bit hasty I would say, one swallow doesn't make a summer an all that (in a negative sense). He's clearly a classy player you don't get that sort of reputation for being "average at best". I do however think he hasn't quite got the attributes to be a main man for Utd in this premier league. Obviously not the biggest bloke but nor does he possess blistering pace. I think he'd be good for us without setting the world on fire, that doesn't mean he's average.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I said the same but FM 2016 brigade went on over drive and slated my posts, looks like we dodged a bullet here, he's average at best and no better that what we have
:lol:
On a serious note, he has never been a rough get winger. At Sociedad he played on the left as a traditional winger. Simeone has converted him to a striker. He looks lost on the right.

Martial'sgaze

As someone that has been watching Antoinne Griezmann since his transfer to Athletico in the Last two years I am inclined to agree with some of the sentiments of@Greatest No 10 although not the average part.
Put it this way; If I have say £70 mil to spend in any position in the front 4 there are many players I had rather sign before Antoinne Griezmann.
He isn't the greatest No 10 around in terms of creativity, nor is he better than the available wide forwards available in the current market in terms of playing players in their best position. I sure won't use him as my striker. So where exactly does he fit in a team?
My opinion is that he is well suited to playing in the Athletico team but am not sure he fits into any of my team.
He has some ability but he is not someone that strike fear in the heart of defenses, he can easily be taken out of a game. He lacks the ability to create something out of nothing,
For instance I prefer Dybala to Griezmann .
He is a great second striker when you have creative natural wide playmakers but those kind of players are really few in football this days.Most wide players are wide forwards these days.

NoLogo

Shite tonight.
Pretty much like in the CL final, gets into some good situations but usually lets himself and the team down with his final action. Sometimes that's just a confidence thing, which I actually think is the main reason in his case but it might also be just bad decision making like in the case of Nani, not 100% sure what it is with him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
As someone that has been watching Antoinne Griezmann since his transfer to Athletico in the Last two years I am inclined to agree with some of the sentiments of@Greatest No 10 although not the average part.
Put it this way; If I have say £70 mil to spend in any position in the front 4 there are many players I had rather sign before Antoinne Griezmann.
He isn't the greatest No 10 around in terms of creativity, nor is he better than the available wide forwards available in the current market in terms of playing players in their best position. I sure won't use him as my striker. So where exactly does he fit in a team?
My opinion is that he is well suited to playing in the Athletico team but am not sure he fits into any of my team.
He has some ability but he is not someone that strike fear in the heart of defenses, he can easily be taken out of a game. He lacks the ability to create something out of nothing,
For instance I prefer Dybala to Griezmann .
He is a great second striker when you have creative natural wide playmakers but those kind of players are really few in football this days.Most wide players are wide forwards these days.
Too think Dybala is more talented and will become the better player. But France play Griezmann in a position he's just hasn't played for either Sociedad or Atletico.

Martial'sgaze

Pretty much like in the CL final, gets into some good situations but usually lets himself and the team down with his final action. Sometimes that's just a confidence thing, which I actually think is the main reason in his case but it might also be just bad decision making like in the case of Nani, not 100% sure what it is with him.
Pretty much,although my opinion is that he is not someone that makes a difference in a team playing against a packed defense.His game is best suited to a counter attacking team and he is not someone that wins a game through an outrageous dribbling to open up a defense.That is not really his forte. He can be taken out of a game quite easily.
His greatest asset are his movement and finishing which is quite difficult to use against a packed defense.

The BlackGaijin

I just started watching him recently since everyone and his dog on redcafe seemed to cream their pants at the possibility of getting him. To be honest, he has been underwhelming. I can't remember a game where he stood out for me.

Maybe his form is down or something but I wouldn't spend crazy money on him from what I have seen.

I woke up early to watch, him, Pogba and Martial today. He was Shite, hopefully it's just poor form.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pretty much,although my opinion is that he is not someone that makes a difference in a team playing against a packed defense.His game is best suited to a counter attacking team and he is not someone that wins a game through an outrageous dribbling to open up a defense.That is not really his forte. He can be taken out of a game quite easily.
His greatest asset are his movement and finishing which is quite difficult to use against a packed defense.
I'd take brains over physicality any day of the week.
Just take a look at Thomas Müller, there're some heavy touches here and there,
but he almost always gets it right in the box at the end of the day.
Pops out of nowhere and puts it behind, a goal is a goal, goals change matches, simple as.
No one knows that better than Jose Mourinho whom if i'm not mistaken is a fan of 'le Griez' and
wanted to buy him at Chelsea.

Griezmann does look a bit undernourished, but so does Müller and then there 'was' Pedro.
Now turning to that great Barca team under Guardiola, there was the aformentioned Spaniard,
who in my point of view is a much more limited version of Griezmann but he flourished, but why?!
Movement and finishing are key elements in modern day football, even against so-called 'packed' oppositions they keep on working.

People can criticise Griezmann all they want but against Romania he nearly put it behind,
hitting the post is so unlucky.
That alone should cut him some slack and put things into perspective.

I guess the kids are alright at United, but could do with a stone cold finisher.
A target man and quick attackers orbiting him the whole time would make things quite interesting.
Things worked out quite well for Griezmann at Atletico with Simeone calling the shots, that tells you something, because the Argentinean is demanding, but Griezmann seems obviously up for the job.
No bullshit, just putting in a shift and scoring the goals, that's how the job's done.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He is class as a 10 but I wouldn't use him on the wing. Many similarities to Mata really. You use him there or not at all.

khoazany

It's weird to put it on a player with a high reputation as him but I would say that he's a bit "limited". Only suit with some certain tactics and not a type of player that can work out magic when you need to break the packing bus.

Ephrem

Hope we dont buy him . He is a quality player but wont suit us or EPL . And for that kind of money I would want players who will deliver and not players who may deliver

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't want him anymore but that's because I want Andre Gomes and I feel their positions would clash.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I don't want him anymore but that's because I want Andre Gomes and I feel their positions would clash.
What the actual hell are you talking about? Did you read your own sales pitch, sorry assessment of Gomes? A box to box Kaka-esque player. Now how on earth would Griezmann's position clash with Gomes? Based on what you said about Gomes.

the hea

I have only seen him play twice this season, yesterday and in the CL final and I can't say he has impressed me in those two games. Kind of worrying that he doesn't turn up in two of the biggest games of the season, but still it's only two games so it could just be coincidence.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What the actual hell are you talking about? Did you read your own sales pitch, sorry assessment of Gomes? A box to box Kaka-esque player. Now how on earth would Griezmann's position clash with Gomes? Based on what you said about Gomes.
Greizmann plays best as a second striker so in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1.

Andre Gomes plays best as a number 8/10.. as an attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3.

You can't have both in the same side unless you play Gomes at CM in a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 or you play Greizmann out wide in a 4-3-3.

Unless Greizmann plays at CF as a false 9, they could function well but it isn't an ideal fit. Does that make sense?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Griezmann is a forward. I thought Gomez was a Cm/Am??

Disappointing performance yesterday. Needs to be more proactive. Still a wonderful player who Id love for us to sign.

Martial'sgaze

I think you should also reassess your view on Gomes,He plays in a midfield 3 and no where else,usually the furthest of a midfield 3,while Griezmann's best position is as 10 or a second striker.Therefore,in a team that wishes to play with two wide wingers or forward who can actually beat their man to create something and an out an out striker where does Griezmann and Gomes fit in?
My take is that Griezmann's can only operate in a 4231, Flat 442 or 442 diamond as you don't want him in wide areas where he is usually tame or useless really.
He is best as a second forward and not really a great no 10 in terms of creativity. I know if I want a creative no 10 I rather have Ozil all day ahead of Griezman, and Martial and Coman all day in wide areas.
But if it is a choice between Griezmann and Giroud as my striker then I would prefer the former depending on what you value in a striker.
Thus,in a nutshell there are few systems Griezmann fits in and for how much he had cost,you better be sure where you want to play him.

Reactions: Invictus

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Griezmann is a forward. I thought Gomez was a Cm/Am??

Disappointing performance yesterday. Needs to be more proactive. Still a wonderful player who Id love for us to sign.
See my post above. They're both effectively attacking mids, play in the hole at their best. One operates deeper and is more of a midfielder and other is a pure forward but essentially they would get in each others way a little bit.

I am sure there is a way of making them work but if you're spending big money on playmakers .. you want to ensure they can play their natural game without hindrance. TBF Koke and Griezmann have worked well together so its not impossible but Koke has to play from a wide position for it to work. I feel that is killing half of Gomes' potential to do that. He has so much energy and drive.. play him centrally and he'd run the show.

Kante
Pjanic Gomes
RW FW LW​

Pjanic Kante
WF Greizmann LW
FW​

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fair enough. It's sort of the choice between an attacking midfielder or a second striker, pretty much. I'm surprised someone is choosing Gomes ahead of Griezmann, though. Must be better than I thought, then.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is similar to Mata, altough better player. But people who don't like Mata won't like him either.

kr0nix

If Mane can have a successful career in England then so can Griezmann, without doubt.

Classical Mechanic

If Mane can have a successful career in England then so can Griezmann, without doubt.
Mane is an athlete, he is as fast as they come and a decent finisher at times. That is why he succeeds in the EPL. Greezmann is small and slow, two red flags if you are buying a player for an EPL club. He would be a massive gamble at the fee he would command.

Annahnomoss

I think you should also reassess your view on Gomes,He plays in a midfield 3 and no where else,usually the furthest of a midfield 3,while Griezmann's best position is as 10 or a second striker.Therefore,in a team that wishes to play with two wide wingers or forward who can actually beat their man to create something and an out an out striker where does Griezmann and Gomes fit in?
My take is that Griezmann's can only operate in a 4231, Flat 442 or 442 diamond as you don't want him in wide areas where he is usually tame or useless really.
He is best as a second forward and not really a great no 10 in terms of creativity. I know if I want a creative no 10 I rather have Ozil all day ahead of Griezman, and Martial and Coman all day in wide areas.
But if it is a choice between Griezmann and Giroud as my striker then I would prefer the former depending on what you value in a striker.
Thus,in a nutshell there are few systems Griezmann fits in and for how much he had cost,you better be sure where you want to play him.
Agree with that as well. He hasn't impressed me when he has played out wide and ideally you want to see him in a 4-4-1-1 as the second striker. I don't think he would be a good option in a 4-2-3-1 as he's not really anything of a playmaker and as a lone striker you'd ideally want someone who keeps the position more.

Moonred

Is Andre Gomes an omnipresent total footballer? Some wanted him over Pogba the other day, some want him over Griezmann today. I know there are valid caveats in the assessment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mane is an athlete, he is as fast as they come and a decent finisher at times. That is why he succeeds in the EPL. Greezmann is small and slow, two red flags if you are buying a player for an EPL club. He would be a massive gamble at the fee he would command.
If you think he's slow then you need to watch him more. He might not be bale fast but he's certainly above average, easily fast enough for a striker.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Is Andre Gomes an omnipresent total footballer? Some wanted him over Pogba the other day, some want him over Griezmann today. I know there are valid caveats in the assessment.
I can't remember seeing Gomes okay that often. The times I have seen him play make me think 'how is he better than Herrera?' It may be that Valencia were garbage last season, that's why he seemed a bit 7/10. Still, I don't think he's all that.

Griezmann, to my eyes, is a much better player. Griezmann is quicker, more direct, finishes better, and having been drilled by Simeone would be ideal to play on the right in Mou's system.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
When the midfield is shite, the attackers have a bad game. People refuse to accept that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.