Antoine Griezmann

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeInTheSky

Called about 3 correctly so far. No reason for us to doubt him until he gets one wrong.
Also his brother has pretty much given it away, and solid papers from the UK and France.
I don't think Griezmann would want to come if United misss out on the Champions League and it looks like we will miss out.
Athletico are more likely to miss out on CL then United are this season

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Not really convinced by this. Think Griezmann could be a giant waste at fecking £90m :lol:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Personally I prefer Icardi too, we need a proper poacher rather than Griezmann type player as we have Pogba right now
Ditto, mate - since we signed Pogba for a world record fee, it's imperative that we get the best out of him. Unless we transition to a Diamond or even Christmas Tree, spending a comparable world record amount on Griezmann and then hoping that they work things out among themselves is asking for trouble when Pogba plays his best football in a midfield 3 and Griezmann plays his best football as a forward off the shoulder of the 9 - which are kind of mutually exclusive concepts in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1.

Considering that, Icardi would be great as the prototype #9 in a standard 4-3-3, and then we could buy someone like O Dembélé in 2018 (after the World Cup) to complete the attack in wider areas instead of Griezmann. If we wanted to sign Griezmann with a view to transition into 4-2-3-1, we should've signed proper midfield pivots like Kanté or Koke, not a unique midfielder/attacker hybrid like Pogba who shouldn't be asked to devolve into reductive roles.

This would be much better, but even as a big believer in the manager, I dunno if Mourinho has the balls to to implement it given his reluctance to use it against English teams or in big European games against teams with wingers even at Porto and Internazionale:

That way, Griezmann will be in his best role as the support striker, and we'll keep Pogba in something close to his best LCM/AM role instead of disrupting the fundamentals of his game:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Thx for that. I'm quite wary of signing players from the Serie A. How do you think he could handle the EPL and big physical CBs?
I'm not 100% sure, truth be told. There's always an element of intangible risk associated with players from different leagues - with the likes of Cuardado burning out in the Premier League after moving from the Serie A, while Coutinho has taken to it like a duck to water since the move from Internazionale - so you never know either way. But Icardi certainly has the mental drive, tactical intelligence, workrate, and Costa-esque cnutish robustness in his play to potentially excel in the League. Decent height at about 6' even (so he won't be dwarfed by most centerbacks), quick in short bursts without necessarily being rapid, and given his style of play and nose for the goal, he could be comparable to someone like Kane in terms of productivity - who isn't exceptionally fast or skillful or physical dominant à la Lukaku, but excels at the fundamentals of traditional striker play in terms of positioning and natural awareness - and is in the right place at the right time to make things happen for his team.

Belotti from Torino is another decent option at the right age (and has the barrel chested Vieri type striker thing going for him), but he isn't as proven as Icardi, and also plays in the Serie A:

[/spoiler[

C'est Moi Cantona

After the limited impact of our other 'big name' signings post Fergie, I won't hold my breath that this one would be any different.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I assumed maybe wrongly that the most expensive player in your team, should be a focal point not a player forced to change drastically his game to fit into the team.(If we intend to be a good team)

And neither are depth players, so that argument shouldn't even be made.
Nah..considering they are best mates I cant see this being an issue. Besides Zlatan already shares the spotlight.

JustinC00

That can only happen for so long though.

If we miss out again, that will be 2 times in 3 seasons, which then looks a bit shit.
Maybe but I just think in Griezmann's case no CL won't be an issue as him and Pogba are apparently keen on playing together at a club level.

lawliet354

Ditto, mate - since we signed Pogba for a world record fee, it's imperative that we get the best out of him. Unless we transition to a Diamond or even Christmas Tree, spending a comparable world record amount on Griezmann and then hoping that they work things out among themselves is asking for trouble when Pogba plays his best football in a midfield 3 and Griezmann plays his best football as a forward off the shoulder of the 9 - which are kind of mutually exclusive concepts in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1.

Considering that, Icardi would be great as the prototype #9 in a standard 4-3-3, and then we could buy someone like O Dembélé in 2018 (after the World Cup) to complete the attack in wider areas instead of Griezmann. If we wanted to sign Griezmann with a view to transition into 4-2-3-1, we should've signed proper midfield pivots like Kanté or Koke, not a unique midfielder/attacker hybrid like Pogba who shouldn't be asked to devolve into reductive roles.

This would be much better, but even as a big believer in the manager, I dunno if Mourinho has the balls to to implement it given his reluctance to use it against English teams or in big European games against teams with wingers even at Porto and Internazionale:

That way, Griezmann will be in his best role as the support striker, and we'll keep Pogba in something close to his best LCM/AM role instead of disrupting the fundamentals of his game:

Yup, as much as I love Griezmann, having Pogba and him together will limit one or another fullest capabilities, unless somehow Pogba will suddenly be capable of playing in midfield two, but for me he just does not have positional discipline to play in midfield two

That Juve diamond formation will suit both of them for sure, but that formation put a lot of burden in the fullback, while Valencia certainly is capable, Shaw will need to sort himself out and improve his attacking skills for him to play in diamond, and I doubt that Jose would be bold enough to use that formation

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nah..considering they are best mates I cant see this being an issue. Besides Zlatan already shares the spotlight.
It's not about spotlight, I don't care about spotlight.

OohAahMartial

I'm not 100% sure, truth be told. There's always an element of intangible risk associated with players from different leagues - with the likes of Cuardado burning out in the Premier League after moving from the Serie A, while Coutinho has taken to it like a duck to water since the move from Internazionale - so you never know either way. But Icardi certainly has the mental drive, tactical intelligence, workrate, and Costa-esque cnutish robustness in his play to potentially excel in the League. Decent height at about 6' even (so he won't be dwarfed by most centerbacks), quick in short bursts without necessarily being rapid, and given his style of play and nose for the goal, he could be comparable to someone like Kane in terms of productivity - who isn't exceptionally fast or skillful or physical dominant à la Lukaku, but excels at the fundamentals of traditional striker play in terms of positioning and natural awareness - and is in the right place at the right time to make things happen for his team.

Belotti from Torino is another decent option at the right age (and has the barrel chested Vieri type striker thing going for him), but he isn't as proven as Icardi, and also plays in the Serie A:

[/spoiler[
Belotti looks better off in a counter attacking side. Other than his heading ability I don't see him thriving against parked buses. And his goal celebration sucks. Prefer the look of Icardi. But neither look very Drogba like.i

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Belotti looks better off in a counter attacking side. Other than his heading ability I don't see him thriving against parked buses. And his goal celebration sucks. Prefer the look of Icardi. But neither look very Drogba like.
The #9 doesn't have to be like Drogba, though - he was but one of several really good strikers José has managed through the years, so we don't have to follow that particular physical template and sign Lukaku (who's an inferior footballer and striker to Icardi, IMO). Icardo bears great resemblance to Diego Milito in terms of stature and playing style (who flourished under Mourinho after Ibrahimović's transfer to Barcelona - scoring 30 goals, propelling them to the treble, winning the UEFA Club Footballer Of The Year award):

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Fully agree we just need to be done with wingers tbh, we don't have any good ones

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Parden me for meddeling in the fine discussion going on in here but isn't Icardi somewhat of a "special case"?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fully agree we just need to be done with wingers tbh, we don't have any good ones
Or we could find actual wingers? rather than keep playing attacking midfielders or strikers there.

Valencia keeps the width well but he can rarely "beat" a man and put in a good cross, most of the time he just floats it too high.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
So something along the lines of this?

Griezmann - Ibra/Icardi/Martial
Mkhitaryan
Pogba - Herrera
Carrick/New
Shaw/New - Rojo - Bailly - Valencia
Big Dave​
Yep, that's an exquisitely balanced setup on paper. Except I dunno if Shaw's game is developed enough (tactically, and in terms of discipline) to control an entire flank. The wingbacks are crucial to the success of a diamond - and while he has the athletic component, something's missing in his play and the overall effectiveness of it. Big fan of the core diamond, as well as the potential Griezmann-Mkhitaryan-Pogba tandem, though - all three are quite fluid in their movement and interplay, apart from being technically adept. And given Mkhitaryan's versatility, he could easily pop up on the left while Pogba goes central or drift towards the right to make it a front 3 in transition, and he has the workrate to really stabilize the whole setup from a defensive standpoint - which is an added bonus. Not quite Deco at Porto in terms of flair and overall influence - but you'd be hard pressed to find better players for that position than Mkhitaryan in contemporary football.

Cassidy

Or we could find actual wingers? rather than keep playing attacking midfielders or strikers there.

Valencia keeps the width well but he can rarely "beat" a man and put in a good cross, most of the time he just floats it too high.
We don't need to play with wingers is my point, since we don't have them. I'm even talking about right now, what is the insistence on playing a formation which relies on wingers when we don't have any? Its plain stupid.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Parden me for meddeling in the fine discussion going on in here but isn't Icardi somewhat of a "special case"?
His wife\agent is a basket case. Would be like having that Snoopy character from Jersey Shore around MUFC.

cyberman

Reading this thread you would think Pogba and Greizmann were the two most rigid, one dimensional players we could get.

predator

Youth NITK
I'm not arsed anymore, we can't even beat Hull.
Get him signed. Give me a bit of temporary joy until we get dicked again by relegation candidates.

Classical Mechanic

Called about 3 correctly so far. No reason for us to doubt him until he gets one wrong.
What about the 'big name who isn't currently playing for his club' who was meant to come in Jan that he called that seems to get swept under the carpet?
He called three obvious transfers and now it is Greizmann FFS. Most people on here have believed AG would join for the past 6 months or so.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
What's the deal with people thinking Griezmann and Pogba play in the same position?
Not watched Atletico play much lately, but Griezmann plays as 9,10 or out wide, doesn't he?
While Pogba plays cm/b2b.
Can easily play together.

Just hope Griezmann stops the silly celebration, what's wrong with the good old raised hand and scream "yeah!"?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What's the deal with people thinking Griezmann and Pogba play in the same position?
Not watched Atletico play much lately, but Griezmann plays as 9,10 or out wide, doesn't he?
While Pogba plays cm/b2b.
Can easily play together.

Just hope Griezmann stops the silly celebration, what's wrong with the good old raised hand and scream "yeah!"?
Pogba has played as number 10 for us. He had Carrick and Herrera as CM behind.

Cassidy

Pogba has played as number 10 for us. He had Carrick and Herrera as CM behind.
He shouldn't be though, hasn't had one good game for us in that position that I can remember

Status
Not open for further replies.