Antoine Griezmann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jig1234

The players for that system are already here, Griezmann would be a good fit in it. But we haven't really seen it this season. We had 45 min of Marital up front, but he was being tasked with Ibra's responsibilities, rather than playing to the strengths you have highlighted.
Martial up front was bizarre. Almost as if he wanted him to fail. He skins people on the left. Mikhi was playing fantastic with Martial. Naturally he drops one to play the other and relationship up front is broken. Ibrahimovic doesn't suit anyone around him. His presences forces every player into confusion and route one approach.

What baffles me is his persistent on trying to get everyone to play for Ibrahimovic rather than trying to get the best out of Martial-Mata-Miki-Rashford. Who are all faster more aggressive and the future of this team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Pogba isn't good enough to compete with Griezmann, he will be eat alive and forced to work for Grizou. Since we have the money it's not a problem on that front but it makes you wonder if we actually have a plan. We look like a football club without direction that simply buys players because they look good for other teams.
I do agree with the bolded bit but I'd like to give Mourinho the benefit of the doubt thus far. All his signings this summer addressed and improved key areas in which our team was lacking over the last few seasons.

But I do agree with your overall point. We've "wasted" a lot of money, especially since SAF left. We've spent huge amounts on players like Mata/Fellaini/AdM/Falcao (wages) and a ton more. Though not all necessarily failures, but we never managed to build the team to any of their strengths or managed to play them in their favored positions and get the best out of them for any prolonged period.

Signing Griezmann will be an interesting challenge on how to best fit himself, Zlatan and Pogba into the same team. I wouldn't even mention Martial, because I'm too worried for his future here, especially if these Griezmann rumors are true.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Griezmann is a magnificent player. One if my favourites too, but I'm starting to wonder if we should be using this kind of money on one player when we clearly need a few players replacing.
It's not like we only signed Pogba this season, we signed 3 other quality players along with an £89M signing. Expect the same.

onemanarmy

I don't think Griezmann would want to come if United misss out on the Champions League and it looks like we will miss out.
We are 5 points behind 2nd place. Hardly impossible to get in the top 4. People said the same about Pogba. If we want him, he'll come.

Murray3007

As much as i like Griezmann, i am not sure where he actually fits in to a jose team, cant see him being our main striker when you look at jose usual kind of number 9's. talk of a 4-2-3-1 but then where does Pogba fit in as dont see him playing in a 2 very well.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Great, looks like we are going to sign another overhyped player who will be undroppable no matter how crap he plays. Add another burden to to the one we already have in Pogba.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
People seriously questioning the Griezmann signing after watching you struggle for goals all season?

He's a level above everyone in your squad bar Pogba and De Gea. You make the attack fit around him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think Griezmann will play like Mata does. Starts on the wing, but goes where's space, often inside and near the box. Saw Zlatan dropping deep and Rashford making filling in as a striker, guessing Griezmann will be asked to something similar.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
People seriously questioning the Griezmann signing after watching you struggle for goals all season?

He's a level above everyone in your squad bar Pogba and De Gea. You make the attack fit around him.
Pogba often doesn't play like he's a level above anyone on the pitch. There is no need for us to get overly excited about Griezmann given Mkhitaryan/Zlatan/Pogba under Mourinho's management still can't comfortably get us into top 4.

m1y2

griezmann is hollowed here, Iwant him here, I think he can help but not sure if he's as good as majority of ppl say here, not even the type wee need, there's definitely some ifs about him but I'd take that risk as I said, It's questionable wheather he would outperformed Mhykitaryan who had like 30 assists and 22 goals last season in bundesliga or Martial who is currently out of favour but was pretty monstrous last season.. he could paly in midfield but that'd mean Herrera or herrera or pogba sitting which means they already play their weaker game...

I personally am cautious, it's not really given he will be a huge success here

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
griezmann is hollowed here, Iwant him here, I think he can help but not sure if he's as good as majority of ppl say here, not even the type wee need, there's definitely some ifs about him but I'd take that risk as I said, It's questionable wheather he would outperformed Mhykitaryan who had like 30 assists and 22 goals last season in bundesliga or Martial who is currently out of favour but was pretty monstrous last season.. he could paly in midfield but that'd mean Herrera or herrera or pogba sitting which means they already play their weaker game...

I personally am cautious, it's not really given he will be a huge success here
Hes a better player right now than Mhykitaryan Martial and even Pogba

Coxy

this.

Woodzy

What about the 'big name who isn't currently playing for his club' who was meant to come in Jan that he called that seems to get swept under the carpet?
Did Aquire Me say this? I don't remember seeing that.

RMD83

Well we are probably basing it on the fact that if he comes here he will probably turn crap overnight and have to be subbed for Rooney after 60 minutes every game.

AndyJ1985

I don't think Griezmann would want to come if United misss out on the Champions League and it looks like we will miss out.
Maybe he likes the idea of playing for Manchester United, and alongside his mate Pogba. A crazy idea I know, because the CL is apparently the be all and end all of every players thoughts, but you never know.

Sparky10Legend

Even in today's market i think he's a 60m player. For 90m.....ill pass.

As others have also stated, him AND pogba AND a focal point number 9 in the same side......hmmm

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If we're gonna sign another forward, Griezmann + Icardi would be nice - infact, #9 might just be our biggest medium term priority after the #6. The latter's exactly the type of line-leading mobile and/or hardworking striker that Antoine excels with on paper (Torres, Mandžukić). Except, he's much better than either right now, and it doesn't hurt that he has one of the best conversion and shot accuracy rates in Europe in recent years:
Icardi may be getting less service (last year he got 1.7 shots per game, half of what he produced in 2014-15) but that doesn't mean he isn't just as lethal. If anything, he's become even more dangerous, with Whoscored ranking him first in conversion rate in Serie A.
http://www.espnfc.us/club/internazi...-will-be-forgotten-with-goals-for-inter-milan

For a team that creates a plethora of chances, but doesn't always convert them into goals, a clinical player like him could be the final piece of the puzzle in attack. Plus, his link-up pay has improved considerably - statistically, he even ranks as one of the highest assist makers in European leagues with 8 in 22 Serie A games (level with the likes of Sánchez and Eriksen, not that he's as creative per se). Coming into his peak years, too - which should serve us well in the post-Ibrahimović era.

Cassidy

If we're gonna sign another forward, Griezmann + Icardi would be nice - infact, #9 might just be our biggest medium term priority after the #6. The latter's exactly the type of line-leading mobile and/or hardworking striker that Antoine excels with on paper (Torres, Mandžukić). Except, he's much better than either right now, and it doesn't hurt that he has one of the best conversion and shot accuracy rates in Europe in recent years:

http://www.espnfc.us/club/internazi...-will-be-forgotten-with-goals-for-inter-milan

For a team that creates a plethora of chances, but doesn't always convert them into goals, a clinical player like him could be the final piece of the puzzle in attack. Plus, his link-up pay has improved considerably - statistically, he even ranks as one of the highest assist makers in European leagues with 8 in 22 Serie A games (level with the likes of Sánchez and Eriksen, not that he's as creative per se). Coming into his peak years, too - which should serve us well in the post-Ibrahimović era.
I'd take Icardi tbh

Cheekiey

Pogba and Griezmann will make it work, imo deschamps isnt a great manager who just didn't know what to do with either player hence this whole Pogba and Griezmann can't play together crap.

They will make it happen.

OohAahMartial

Well we certainly do need someone clinical. How buyable is he? Release clause? Price?

CM

Spending near world-record money on a player when nobody can offer a viable solution of how to get the best out of him without compromising another of our best players should be alarm bells ringing. We can't afford to sign players on just their individual quality, we also have to consider how well they fit the system and their ability to bring the best out of others around them too.

I like Griezmann but fundamentally, he doesn't fit our system or the players we have and that is a problem. It's a lot of trouble to change the system (again) and probably re-shape the entirety of the midfield for the sake of one player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pogba and Griezmann will make it work, imo deschamps isnt a great manager who just didn't know what to do with either player hence this whole Pogba and Griezmann can't play together crap.

They will make it happen.
It has nothing to do with Deschamps, he doesn't manage them. A National manager doesn't have time with players, at the moment they are not compatible but if they play in the same club, the manager will have to tweak one or both players and I bet that it will be Pogba.

Cassidy

It has nothing to do with Deschamps, he doesn't manage them. A National manager doesn't have time with players, at the moment they are not compatible but if they play in the same club, the manager will have to tweak one or both players and I bet that it will be Pogba.
Good he needs it anyway.

OohAahMartial

Well we certainly do need someone clinical. How buyable is he? Release clause? Price
Release clause don't know if he has one, but surely would be a £35-45m buy or whatever €50-60m is in pounds
An awful lot to spend on a front two. Makes me wonder if he wants to sell Martial in order to raise funds.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Well we certainly do need someone clinical. How buyable is he? Release clause? Price?
His official buyout clause is set at €110 million, but Italian teams are really into posturing and often sell players for prices much lower than the clause (unlike Athletic Club, to cite an example). I think if we're really interested in Icardi, we'll get him for ~€50-60 million, no doubt about it - Internazionale is a stagnating side on the European scale despite recent improvements, and don't have a comparable financial/sporting clout - so no leverage in negotiations.

People have diverging opinions on his personal life, but there's a dearth of quality #9 options at the right age, so he just might be our best bet. Doesn't have the frame of a Drogba, but he's a proper Mourinho #9 who presses and harries the central defenders, plays with a great sense of determination, and has exceptional movement in and around the box:

Inter have deservedly won the Champions League – beating this season’s champions of England, Spain and then Germany on the way to collecting the trophy. Jose Mourinho has conquered Europe again, Inter have won the treble for the first time in the history of Italian football, and Italy retains its four Champions League places ahead of Germany.

Martin Demichelis and Daniel van Buyten – who were preoccupied with stopping Diego Milito, one of those forwards with a tremendous ability to occupy two centre-halves at once. For the first goal, van Buyten got himself far too deep behind Demichelis. His positioning was actually OK if Bayern were simply dealing with Milito as the only threat, but Sneijder’s position so high up the pitch meant that van Buyten’s ‘covering’ position left Sneijder with space, and he passed the ball easily for Milito to finish brilliantly.
Icardi could absolutely be Mourinho's Milito at United.

JPRouve

Scout
Good he needs it anyway.
Which begs the question, why do you invest that much in a player that you want to change? What if it doesn't work?

I know that I'm boring people with that, so I'm just going to stop there.

Cassidy

Which begs the question, why do you invest that much in a player that you want to change? What if it doesn't work?

I know that I'm boring people with that, so I'm just going to stop there.
I think we paid for his potential, we were always going to mould him into what we wanted and he still has all the attributes to be the best in the league/world in that position.

Watching him yesterday playing in a 2 dictating from a bit deeper, you can see if he can develop that game to his full potential he can be a beast. Also with a more defensive partner he'll get licence to go forward. I don't think the change is as drastic as people are making out tbh. Also he was always going to evolve as a player. Modric doesn't play the same now as he did when 23 etc

lawliet354

His official buyout clause is set at €110 million, but Italian teams are really into posturing and often sell players for prices much lower than the clause (unlike Athletic Club, to cite an example). I think if we're really interested in Icardi, we'll get him for ~€50-60 million, no doubt about it - Internazionale is a stagnating side on the European scale despite recent improvements, and don't have a comparable financial/sporting clout - so no leverage in negotiations.

People have diverging opinions on his personal life, but there's a dearth of quality #9 options at the right age, so he just might be our best bet. Doesn't have the frame of a Drogba, but he's a proper Mourinho #9 who presses and harries the central defenders, plays with a great sense of determination, and has exceptional movement in and around the box:

Personally I prefer Icardi too, we need a proper poacher rather than Griezmann type player as we have Pogba right now

JPRouve

Scout
I think we paid for his potential, we were always going to mould him into what we wanted and he still has all the attributes to be the best in the league/world in that position.

Watching him yesterday playing in a 2 dictating from a bit deeper, you can see if he can develop that game to his full potential he can be a beast. Also with a more defensive partner he'll get licence to go forward. I don't think the change is as drastic as people are making out tbh. Also he was always going to evolve as a player. Modric doesn't play the same now as he did when 23 etc
Modric wasn't the biggest earner in his club and the world record fee at 23. We are trying to do what Klopp did with Gundogan but at a much higher fee and therefore with much higher risk.
We might have money but that's how you end up without money. It's also exactly how you destroy the transfer and wage market too.

I think that I just miss Sir Alex Ferguson and the common sense that he was bringing.

OohAahMartial

Thx for that. I'm quite wary of signing players from the Serie A. How do you think he could handle the EPL and big physical CBs?

Cassidy

Modric wasn't the biggest earner in his club and the world record fee at 23. We are trying to do what Klopp did with Gundogan but at a much higher fee and therefore with much higher risk.
We might have money but that's how you end up without money. It's also exactly how you destroy the transfer and wage market too.

I think that I just miss Sir Alex Ferguson and the common sense that he was bringing.
I get it, but despite all the criticisms he is one of the best players in our club. Not playing at the level we want yet, but still miles ahead of most of what we have. Get better players for him to play with, get more players who can actually put the ball in the back of the net. Pogba is the least of our problems right now.

31 goals. Despite being one of the best chance creating teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.