Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't Kill Bill

I think he is growing into the shirt. He benefits from having an attacking fullback. My main concern is that even when we know he is going to cross it our forwards don't seem to be able to get on the end of it. Which is going to be a problem if we can't do something about it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was fantastic for the first half an hour against Everton, comfortably the best player on the park. Quietened down a little after that, but he was still up there with Evra as our best on the night. Was coming inside a lot more often, and some of his passing was extremely good.

That's the kind of performance I want to see on a consistent basis. He's growing into the role.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
His passing was superb. He's a really powerful boy when he runs at the full back as well.

He also has a hammer of a right foot - I think he could grow to be reasonably prolific - 15 a season maybe?

MUFCgal

I feel he's really starting to settle in now and the fact he's now got himself 4 goals is great (that's as much as two of our strikers). He's obviously never going to get the goals that Ronnie did but if he keeps going the way he's going, he could easily get 10+ goals for us which would be great.

Mainoldo

Made an aside of the foot pass 'forward' which i applauded even though Rooney failed to control it.... We'll see how the rest of the season goes.. maybe he'll start running at defenders next week.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
He may not have much in the way of brilliance, but I think he's an asset. He gives pace, power and a good defensive work ethic on the right, and an eye for goal. If you can't have brilliance, that's a pretty decent substitute.

He's clearly a confidence player, and now he's a bit more confident he looks useful.

I am amazed at his lack of trickery, mind. I mean, he's an international winger. I've got tricks, and compared to him I'm not very good at football at all.

twitter thread suggester
Shooting ping pong balls out of your arse is not really a trick suited for football, Plech.

Fazer

He may not have much in the way of brilliance, but I think he's an asset. He gives pace, power and a good defensive work ethic on the right, and an eye for goal. If you can't have brilliance, that's a pretty decent substitute.

He's clearly a confidence player, and now he's a bit more confident he looks useful.

I am amazed at his lack of trickery, mind. I mean, he's an international winger. I've got tricks, and compared to him I'm not very good at football at all.
I guess all players have got some sort of tricks in their arsenal, but its a bit difficult to pull off at that level, unless you are a cocky bastard like Ronaldo.

twitter thread suggester
It's better than just dropping your right shoulder every time though...
Heh, true.

Though he did do something slightly fancy at one point where he dragged the ball back with the sole of his foot, leaving the two Everton players, who had surrounded him, for dead in the process. That was pretty cool, though I believe that was before you tuned in.

Yesterday was actually the first time where I thought he looked United quality. He's been a bit ordinary in the other games to me. But yesterday he made several penetrative passes to the forwards which opened up Everton's defense, and he ran towards goal a couple times rather than always hugging the line.

He still needs to look for the overlap more often rather than hit the car park though. O'Shea was wide open against Chelsea and yesterday it was Fletch who had rushed forward only to see Valencia blast it wide.

But very promising performance by him last night.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Heh, true.

Though he did do something slightly fancy at one point where he dragged the ball back with the sole of his foot, leaving the two Everton players, who had surrounded him, for dead in the process. That was pretty cool, though I believe that was before you tuned in.

Yesterday was actually the first time where I thought he looked United quality. He's been a bit ordinary in the other games to me. But yesterday he made several penetrative passes to the forwards which opened up Everton's defense, and he ran towards goal a couple times rather than always hugging the line.

He still needs to look for the overlap more often rather than hit the car park though. O'Shea was wide open against Chelsea and yesterday it was Fletch who had rushed forward only to see Valencia blast it wide.

But very promising performance by him last night.
Agreed. Will benefit from a run of games with the same full-back, mind you. Our right-back has been constantly changing so far this season.

Count Duckula

I thought he was very good yesterday, a real step up from some of his bland performances since he joined. If he can keep this upward curve going then he'll turn into a very potent force.

And I don't think it's coincidence that he's suddenly looked a lot better of late now that he's playing alongside an attacking fullback (first Neville, and now Rafael).

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's averaging just under a goal every three games, and you'd expect him to play at least thirty games, so he's well on his way to getting double figures.

I'll be looking forward to that money TD.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I like that he's not afraid to have a pop at goal. I know that sounds obvious but so many other players look for the pass sometimes. I had reservations about him coming here and those still aren't completely gone but some of his performances have impressed me.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Been very impressed with him recently. Obviously a good crosser, and one hell of a powerful fecker. He was attacking space far more efficiently yesterday, which is really all you need to do if you're fast and strong as he is. Certainly a confidence player, though.

Unfortunately, the point of Park becomes unclear in light of this guy's recent performances. I'm not saying he's been setting the world alight (not running down Park either!), but he's shown everything Park has to his game and more.

OneUnited24

Been very impressed with him recently. Obviously a good crosser, and one hell of a powerful fecker. He was attacking space far more efficiently yesterday, which is really all you need to do if you're fast and strong as he is. Certainly a confidence player, though.

Unfortunately, the point of Park becomes unclear in light of this guy's recent performances. I'm not saying he's been setting the world alight (not running down Park either!), but he's shown everything Park has to his game and more.
Granted Parks quality in the final third is to be questioned but Park has shown the ability to get into really good spaces and pick out some good passes in tight spaces

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I don't think Park need be too worried. Valencia can only play on one wing at a time and there's not exactly stiff competition on the opposite flank.

Name Changed

weso26
He's averaging just under a goal every three games, and you'd expect him to play at least thirty games, so he's well on his way to getting double figures.

I'll be looking forward to that money TD.
He'll easily reach double figures. I think you'll win your bet fairly early.

Sam

Credit where credit is due...fooking brilliant performence today. Beating players with ease and whipping in dangerous crosses time and time again. MOTM.

More of this please...

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Excellent today, will be useful against teams who are vulnerable to pace. Helped that the left back today was AWOL most of the time

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He's great to watch and you can see the development in his game. Could have had a couple of assists had people been on the end of his dangerous crosses along the six yard box.

When we bought him I said it would turn out a good signing, and I'm hopeful that this is going to be the case.

twitter thread suggester
He was indeed brilliant. They just couldn't handle him, he was twice as quick as the Pompey players combined.

I don't think he lost the ball once, and he made something happen pretty much every time he was on the ball.

A shame he didn't score on that run through the middle.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
He had a hell of a game today. Can anyone rival his athleticism?

AttackingFlair

Had a really good game today, probably his best in a United shirt?

Only thing that annoyed me was his shooting.

BlahRules

When Valencia finds out he has a left foot then he could be really good, good game better oppisition he would of got found easily

Virtuoso

Best game for us yet in my opinion, had he been able to take that chance that he made a mess of then he would have got the goal the performance deserved.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I honestly think he could be exceptional, once he finds or develops that left foot..I don't see how you can stop him.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Today was the day he finally showed me the comparison with Kanchelskis we've all been hearing. Now if he ccould just do it against a team not propping the league up.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Impresses me more and more with each game. Maybe he's no Ronaldo, but he's a huge asset to this team.

HsJ

Best game indeed, he was a constant with his deliveries and man the guy can run :eek:.
His pace is frightening, is he faster than Ronaldo .?
Claridge thought he was faster than Usain Bolt by the sounds of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.