Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUFCgal

Thought he should have started. He had his best performance in a United shirt at the weekend against Wigan, his confidence up and should have started today.

kundalini

According to Opta sports twitter, "47 - Antonio Valencia has created more scoring chances from open play than any other Premier League player this season. Effective. Best mins per open play chance created is Fabregas (30 mins), Valencia is second on 33 mins. Schemers."

Opta Sports (optajoe) on Twitter

I think, and indeed hope, Valencia can improve, but he's been reasonably impressive so far. If anything, I'd like to see him put more emphasis on trying to score. With his pace and power, I believe he could get more shots in. Valencia and Rafael is a combination that could work well for us.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Summer signing Antonio Valencia has become the first man to win back-to-back ManUtd.com Player of the Month awards for a year-and-a-half.

The Ecuadorian garnered 45 per cent of the vote to top December's poll after also taking home the November award. The last player to win consecutive POTM accolades was Carlos Tevez, in May and August 2008.

More than 12,000 fans around the world voted in our most recent poll, with nearly half (5586) naming Valencia’s contribution as the most crucial to the Reds’ December form.

The former Wigan winger added three more goals to his tally during the month, taking his total to seven. He's now scored as many in six months at Old Trafford as he did in three years at Wigan. His first of the month came in the 4-0 demolition of West Ham, where he slotted home from close range. He then put the icing on the cake by firing home the third against Wolves, while his 75th minute strike against Wigan was United’s final goal of 2009.

As well as goals, he's provided a constant threat on the Reds’ right, consistently outfoxing defenders and proving his ability to whip in an early, deadly cross.

United fans will be hoping for plenty more goals from Antonio as the business end of the season fast approaches.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6644902
Well done that man

Whilst I'd still love to see us go in for Lennon, Valencia is already vital to our team. Great signing

surf

Give him the # 7 shirt next season. I'm not sure what Fergie was up to giving it to Owen if he wasn't going to play that much.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
was going to say he's the man of the match until Rooney stole the show the last 15 minutes
But he was very solid, also worked hard defensively, showed great composure and helped Rafael plenty of times.
I was pessimistic about him at the start of the season but I'm really glad we have him. One of the top wingers in the PL.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
Was he substituted as a punishment for missing that chance or was that just a coincidence? It was a strange substitution.

Adebesi

Was he substituted as a punishment for missing that chance or was that just a coincidence? It was a strange substitution.
I assume the decision had already been made when that miss happened. But yes, I would have left him on, he was a constant source of danger.

Really is growing in stature with every game. delighted with his development.

Ekeke

He was against Garrido who is one of the worst left backs (defensively. Cracking freekick taker) in the league. Good ball for the first goal, dissappointed with him after that. But he certainly wasnt the only one.

Count Duckula

He actually put in a cross with his left foot tonight
Yeh, and it was a good one :eek:

The annoying thing tonight was that when he got the ball he was very good with it - but nearly every single pass Carrick, Fletcher or Anderson tried to play out to him only got as far as the left back. The ball that resulted in the goal was actually from Evra!

Doevle

Give him the # 7 shirt next season. I'm not sure what Fergie was up to giving it to Owen if he wasn't going to play that much.
Personally, I'd love to see Rooney in the #7-shirt, but that probably won't happen as it wasn't long ago that he got his number 10.

Ixion

I would love to see him start putting quality crosses in like those tonight on a more regular basis. Get half a yard and whip a ball into the box, a winger does that consistantly and its all I ask for.

Yep, he made a very good appearance, a couple of good crosses, and his tactic of knocking it past the LB worked tonight as Favalli is 38yrs old or something.

Nani should have gone for that approach, just use your pace to burn the FB and get the ball back, this was signs of the old Nani tonight, often delaying his cross, he needed to be so much more direct, it really worked for Valencia.

Ekeke

He was Nani with extra pace and crucially end product tonight, really is just a very fine winger, what a great signing hes been.
:lol:

No.

He was Valencia with hopefully some improved quality on his crossing. The first one was good and the defending and Rooney coping with moving backwards and still climbing and heading it beautifully made it look better. But the second cross, the drilled one was top class and hopefully we see top class crosses from him more often in the future than we have in the past as it would make him a far better option.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That drilled cross along the floor was brilliant, such a shame Rooney didn't anticipate it and stick a leg out sooner.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

No.

He was Valencia with hopefully some improved quality on his crossing. The first one was good and the defending and Rooney coping with moving backwards and still climbing and heading it beautifully made it look better. But the second cross, the drilled one was top class and hopefully we see top class crosses from him more often in the future than we have in the past as it would make him a far better option.
That was a pass, surely? I mean, it didn't leave the ground. By your definition that's not a cross, right?

Ekeke

That was a pass, surely? I mean, it didn't leave the ground. By your definition that's not a cross, right?
I mentioned drilled crosses in that exact post :lol: and said thats where it gets more difficult to define, but that most of the time the person drilling it doesnt really know if they are shooting or crossing anyway.

Valencia definately knew he was crossing today and it was a fantastic drilled cross. Or if you want to call it a drilled pass I wont say anything more.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You can call it whatever the hell you want, it was class, and if it can come more often and Rooney (or that OG fella) can start to anticipate it then it could lead to a good few goals.

Anduin

Valencia has been a super signing so far, even for £16m. Couldn't really ask for much more than he already did this season, never expected him too be this good in his first year with us. Let's hope Favalli plays again in the return leg :smirk:

Name Changed

weso26
He made a massive difference when he came on. Excellent cross for Rooney's first and that drilled cross should have been buried.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi

No.

Awww You talking to me again after your little paddy tantrum now Mcfeckwitty? how nice....

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
I didn't think the cross was all that tbh. Well in comparison to the delivery prior to him coming on, then yeah. But the cross was just loopy one and was quite deep, just Rooney made it look better than it was. Don't get me wrong, I think he did excellent when coming on and that low cross was quality but the way Andy Gray and some of you lot are wanking over it is a bit ott imo.

KGBhoy

Back to the original question - has there ever been a more one-footed player? Even Beckham scored with his left on a couple of occasions.

After the first half against Everton, I can tell you that he hasn't even touched the ball with his left foot. He even dribbles with just one. He uses his right quite well it must be said, but I have never seen anyone being so afraid to switch them. Would be a cracking player if he could use the left foot!

Status
Not open for further replies.