Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What really impressed me was that he really worked on his game and improved the points that were critisized - e.g. one dimensional, same runs etc - and has become more versatile and less predictable. Plus his crossing has been very good and he has scored some goals as well. If he will keep on improving like that, he will become a brilliant winger

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I was gonna put money on it till I remembered I'd invoked a self imposed closure of my account to stop me gambling :lol:

Blair

I was one of the idiots who threw my toys out the pram when we signed him and wrote him off......

But really am delighted with his first season, glad we got our man ;)

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I don't think he was at all poor in the last couple of games, if you compare him and Nani, you'd know that Nani had a lot more of the ball than Valencia and Valencia was tightly marked. Every opponent knows he is quality now and he will be tightly marked Ronaldo like... Now if he could drift a bit more central and get onto Nani's crossing, I'm sure he'll get a goal or two in the remaining games.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
He meets regularly with ‘Chucho’ Benitez. Their friendship goes back to their teenage days together lining up for daily inspections in their army barracks. Benitez said: ‘I remember one day a trainer advised us to eat pasta and a lot of iron to keep fit, but Tono misunderstood. In South America pasta means sauce and it is also what they call toothpaste. The next day I find Valencia tucking in to a tube of Colgate.’

Ole'sbodyguard

Good game from him today.

Bit worried about the injury. He's one of those players who only stays down when it's something serious. Any update?
NO news has filtered out post game on Valencia. It's all been about Rooney out for the season.

On a related note where the feck has Park disappeared to?

The_Midfielder

He really made Bale sweat a lot.. I remember one trick where he let the ball pass through this legs and Bale had no idea what was going on..

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Aye, he's been out for a while.

Wasn't in this week's training pics either.
Seems to coincide with the Munich game where he was pretty ineffectual.Must have picked up an injury as I can't believe he wouldn't have figured as a sub even.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Fantastic player and has a great get on with it attitude. Strong lad too. Such a quality addition to our squad.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Consistency is something often lacking in wingers, but Valencia has it. You can rely on him to be a threat, put in dangerous crosses and pull his weight defensively whenever he plays.

Very good, solid player. My only gripe is that he is so one footed, if he could cut inside just no and then, his play would be even more threatening.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
Consistency is something often lacking in wingers, but Valencia has it. You can rely on him to be a threat, put in dangerous crosses and pull his weight defensively whenever he plays.

Very good, solid player. My only gripe is that he is so one footed, if he could cut inside just no and then, his play would be even more threatening.
the one-footed issues does make him one dimensional sometimes because good defenders will just show him to the left every time, but his speed and strength often leaves defenders on their backside.

Probably better first season than any of our our wingers we've signed.

Drifter

American
Man Utd ace Rooney highlights Valencia influence on his scoring success

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has hailed the influence of winger Antonio Valencia in his stunning season.

Rooney was named PFA Player of the Year on Sunday night.

Asked about the service from Valencia, Rooney told manutd.com: "Of course, as a forward player you rely on the support and service of your team-mates. Without the support of people like Antonio, I wouldn’t be scoring goals. A lot of what I think I’ve achieved personally this season is down to that support from my team-mates.

"He’s very physical, he’s quick and a strong player. He’s scored a few goals himself this season and he has the ability to create goals with his movement and his crossing, which obviously I’ve benefited from. He reminds me a lot of Andrei Kanchelskis who was here a few years ago. They’re both very traditional wingers, and I like that. Antonio has settled in very quickly and he’s had a good first year at the club which hopefully he can build on."

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Man Utd ace Rooney highlights Valencia influence on his scoring success

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has hailed the influence of winger Antonio Valencia in his stunning season.

Rooney was named PFA Player of the Year on Sunday night.

Asked about the service from Valencia, Rooney told manutd.com: "Of course, as a forward player you rely on the support and service of your team-mates. Without the support of people like Antonio, I wouldn’t be scoring goals. A lot of what I think I’ve achieved personally this season is down to that support from my team-mates.

"He’s very physical, he’s quick and a strong player. He’s scored a few goals himself this season and he has the ability to create goals with his movement and his crossing, which obviously I’ve benefited from. He reminds me a lot of Andrei Kanchelskis who was here a few years ago. They’re both very traditional wingers, and I like that. Antonio has settled in very quickly and he’s had a good first year at the club which hopefully he can build on."
Sorry to disagree but Kanchleskis was an awesome finisher with both feet too.

Valencia has been better at delivering the cross and defensively he's been superb

Dyslexic Untied

Valencia has been better at delivering the cross and defensively he's been superb
Disagree on what exactly?

He said they reminded him of eachother not that they were the same player.

lynchie

I think awesome might be pushing it a bit. I see a lot of Kankan in Valencia.

Shimo

Valencia has been brilliant and the prospect of him and Nani playing along side Rooney next year should put the fear of the Red Devil in teams.

Am sure it's easy to forget but, Valencia is quite young as well and is still growing.

Life is going to be pretty rosy next year.

redwhiteblack

the one-footed issues does make him one dimensional sometimes because good defenders will just show him to the left every time, but his speed and strength often leaves defenders on their backside.

Probably better first season than any of our our wingers we've signed.
This, exactly.

RodB

I've been thinking "he's the player of the season" when I watched United's games. Just a gut feel... but for me club player of the season. Gets it going down the right and gets really good cosses in - Beckham somehow less but somehow more.. i.e I think he is even more effective than Beckham was - more complete ?

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Yeah, very efficient, consistent footballer, the kind that every team wishes they had a few of.

OneUnited24

I've been thinking "he's the player of the season" when I watched United's games. Just a gut feel... but for me club player of the season.
Over the season hes been our most consistant performer but i think Evras been our player of the season imo, i know since late March his performances have dipped a little i still think hes been the best

ludvik

War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left.
Valencia has been so-and-so his first season with us, not a spectacular hit-and-run debut-season like Cantona, Yorke or Tevez had. Then again he has been better than Berbatov was in his debut-season. He has show glimpses of what he is capable of, and there is every reason to be optimistic about his future. I see no reason whatsover to worry about him at all, at this early stage. Most likely he will grow in confidence, better gel in with the team and style of play in the coming seasons. All-in-all very good value for the price we paid.

There are other players that are more interesting in terms of pondering value and future.

OneUnited24

Player of the season has been Wayne Rooney.
TBH i always thought Wayne, while good, wasnt that amazing in the first half of the season, he really kicked on in the second half where hes been unplayable but over a season i think Evra has pretty special

Status
Not open for further replies.