Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

datura

Back to the original question - has there ever been a more one-footed player? Even Beckham scored with his left on a couple of occasions.

After the first half against Everton, I can tell you that he hasn't even touched the ball with his left foot. He even dribbles with just one. He uses his right quite well it must be said, but I have never seen anyone being so afraid to switch them. Would be a cracking player if he could use the left foot!
He's a cracking player as it is, one of our most consistent performers all season.

CptMarvel

Not sure Berbatov has used his left foot yet either. Have you bumped his thread to make a note of it?
Calm down Ekeke, someone will make a new thread to criticise or praise Berbatov after the match has finished, it's as inevitable as the final whistle.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
feck his left, his right is quality, and he still seems to find new ways to get the ball onto his right.

He very rarely has lost posession since his first few weeks here: If he loses the ball it's for a corner or throw anyways.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Back to the original question - has there ever been a more one-footed player? Even Beckham scored with his left on a couple of occasions.

After the first half against Everton, I can tell you that he hasn't even touched the ball with his left foot. He even dribbles with just one. He uses his right quite well it must be said, but I have never seen anyone being so afraid to switch them. Would be a cracking player if he could use the left foot!
Because he's obviously not a cracking player already. :rolleyes:

Tell me, this one foot obsession some of you have. What part of his game would magically become much better if he uses the left more. He clearly doesn't need to use it.

If we bought a fashionable and skillful left winger who never uses his right you'd never hear a word about it. Fact.

Ekeke

Its absolutely ridiculous to focus on him choosing not to use his left foot when playing on the right wing. He doesnt have to. He chooses not to on most occasions. So?

What should have been a bit more concerning is that he didnt manage to make anything happen in the second half before he was taken off.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Its absolutely ridiculous to focus on him choosing not to use his left foot when playing on the right wing. He doesnt have to. He chooses not to on most occasions. So?

What should have been a bit more concerning is that he didnt manage to make anything happen in the second half before he was taken off.
Well, it was the same for all our players. But I understand that you must include something negative about him in every post.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
the point is that he is very predictable. when i watch him play i simply know what he is intending to do every time he has a ball.

on a bright side- he varies his crossing. in the Everton game he tried two high crosses before making that assist pass to Berbs.

in general- i think he is a very good signing, very solid. I just don't see that sort of magic a lot of our wingers used to have. Good value for money.

Brophs

The One and Only
Exactly.

It's just used as a stick to beat him with. He doesn't score goals. Can't level that one at him any more. His delivery's poor. Ditto. So people decide to focus on this. It's an utter fecking nonsense. The lad's new to the club, and has made a huge step up in a short space of time.

Also, this whole predictable thing is a load of bollocks too. If you're a poor player, then being predictable is a huge problem. If you're predictable in that you get past your full back often and look to whip in crosses, then more of it, I say.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
the point is that he is very predictable. when i watch him play i simply know what he is intending to do every time he has a ball.
And yet opposition fullback's still can't stop him, so it's evidently not really a problem...

Shimo

He is predictable and right now he can get away with it because 1) For some reason defenders aren't "cheating" and closing off the outside more 2) He has the pace to beat them.

But, his game at United is developing. We've seen him come inside a few times and I think we'll see once defenders think they only have to cut the outside out to defend against him, he'll then take the inside option and create from that.

Defenders pretty much know what most wingers are going to do. They are going to try get on the outside or release the overlapping player. That doesn't mean they can stop them, when the player is going to break, when the player is going to pass is still all up in the air. That he can still get around the defenders them knowing what he is going to do speaks of his well for ability.

The only thing I do wish he adds is once in a while keep going into the box once he has his man beaten. Can put some good pressure and keep things a bit more uncertain.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
All the talk will inevitably be about Wayne Rooney for his goal and understandably so but how good was Valencia yet again today? for me he was again the best player on the pitch alongside Berbatov today, week after week hes just brilliant, ive lost count of the number of goals hes created for Rooney alone this season, hes clearly the best winger in the country without doubt on current form, i read a stat the other day that also showed Valencia was the most creative player in the league having created something like 80 goalscoring chances this season.

What a superb signing hes been, and at only 24 years old what a player hes going to be for us, along with Rooney in my opinion hes been our best player this season.

surf

All the talk will inevitably be about Wayne Rooney for his goal and understandably so but how good was Valencia yet again today? for me he was again the best player on the pitch alongside Berbatov today, week after week hes just brilliant, ive lost count of the number of goals hes created for Rooney alone this season, hes clearly the best winger in the country without doubt on current form, i read a stat the other day that also showed Valencia was the most creative player in the league having created something like 80 goalscoring chances this season.

What a superb signing hes been, and at only 24 years old what a player hes going to be for us, along with Rooney in my opinion hes been our best player this season.
Agree with the part in bold. I think he's better this season than Lennon or Nani or whoever. What sets him apart is his physical ability to play a lot of games at a high level and not get injured. You need forwards like that.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Much too good for the likes of Wigan, he's really fitting in well with us.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Ive gotta say, Valencia at the moment has to be one of - if not the most productive player we have in the side on current form. Having such a great target like Rooney will obviously help, but his crossing has been top notch.

Valencia may not have that same magic as you can see in the likes of Nani, or Ronaldo - but whenever he receives the ball you trust him to either win you a corner, deliver a great cross or simply play a decent pass - he very very rarely loses possession, he has an end product, pretty much every time.

When we signed him I wasnt exactly overwhelmed, but with Rooneys development, they have forged a fantastic partnership and Valencia has looked like one of our best players. Trust in SAF.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I think he's been brilliant since he came back into the team after his little rest. He really is getting better as the weeks go by, his confidence is growing and his teams are beginning to look for him to produce something.

Fantastic signing.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Coming from a very humble background, I think he felt somewhat overwhelmed when he first came into the side and was playing within himself. He now feels part of the team and the results are showing.

We have another Ole type character in the team.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
he actually had an off day. He has been consistently productive all season.
Rooney, Evra and Valancia are our players of the season so far. We will need Valancia to run that right side in the big games coming up.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Is someone being ghosted? There's a page not loading.

Bad day for Valencia today but it's an anomaly so I'm not too concerned, we've no midweek action this week so he should he fresh for the scum next Sunday, need him back on form for that.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Is someone being ghosted? There's a page not loading.

Bad day for Valencia today but it's an anomaly so I'm not too concerned, we've no midweek action this week so he should he fresh for the scum next Sunday, need him back on form for that.
The forums been doing that quite a lot lately.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unfortunate timing for him to have a dip in form. I was looking forward to him showing Insua up next weekend.

I hope it's just a bad day at the office but he was slightly subdued against Milan too (defended well but not at his best going forward).

Still, he's got a week off to find his mojo. I reckon Fergie will be keeping a close eye on h in training. Park and Nani are both on form and Giggs will be pushing for a start too. Makes a refreshing change to have competition for places on the wings!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Wouldn't mind seeing Park play in the middle of a 5 man midfield again, Nani and Valencia on the flanks and Park bursting through the centre :drool:

Don't worry Pogue, he'll run rings around Insua.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hungrywing in another thread just pointed out this thread is due a bump and it is.

Valencia was excellent against the scousers, so his lacklustre last outing was absolutely nothing to be worried about.

By the way, does anyone remember the outrageous bit of skill he did towards the end of the second half? He was on the right side of the Liverpool box, with two defenders in front of them and he did some sort of "drag back then push forward thingy" which neatly bisected them.

Would love to see it in a gif....

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I remember laughing in a kind of 'holy shit that was ace' way when he did that.

I have high hopes for him tonight, have a feeling he might get on the score sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.