Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Does Beckham have a left foot?
Some players are incredibly gifted at certain things. Beckham was an unbelievable passer, that can never be predictable. Messi uses his left mostly, but no one can get near him when he's dribbling. Valencia doesn't look very naturally gifted. Cutting in every third time would do him plenty good.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I thought he showed a side of his game we haven't seen much of today - his range of passing. He plays in CM for midfield and is a very good passer of the ball. Rooney was harshly called offside today after a 40 yard pin-point pass the like of which you would usually expect from Scholes.

Very pleasing.
Agreed. That alone gives him another option aside from beating his marker on the outside and charging for the bye-line. He did it for Rooney's second goal if I remember correctly. Cut in, found Berbatov, who threaded it through to Rooney. I don't really see this supposed predictability as a major issue at the moment.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I just wanted to make an example that it's not essential to use the other foot that much. :)

Valencia's role is to keep the width and beat players with pace and put a cross in. Let Nani do the cutting in.
Valencia needs to cut in for variety in besting a fullabck. Not to use his left foot. He can safely cut in without ever suing it really.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Valencia needs to cut in for variety in besting a fullabck. Not to use his left foot. He can safely cut in without ever suing it really.
Agree. It's about giving himself more space or beating a fullback. He doesn't actually have to use his left foot once he cuts in. But in terms of giving himself and us an outlet to attack, it's somethoing he must do.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Agree. It's about giving himself more space or beating a fullback. He doesn't actually have to use his left foot once he cuts in. But in terms of giving himself and us an outlet to attack, it's somethoing he must do.
Yea. With his speed off the mark, If he cut in on a fullback, he'd leave that player for dead and off balance. Against tough fullbacks like Cole and Clichy I'm certain it would wreck untold havoc. The way Kanchelskis used to do back in the day.

& it would really over kill people like Figuroua who he faced today. Especially since Valencia seems to be good at picking people out.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I still don't get why people think he is doing just OK? Are we that fecking spoilt? He is not Ronaldo's replacement! He has just signed this summer and is doing one hell of a job for us.. I am well impressed & so should you..

It would be a shame for SAF to constantly rotate him and Nani! I would like to see Valencia and Nani to start every match as I think they are our best wingers.. Park for me has no reason to feel optimistic about his chances this season.. Nani & Valencia both attack and defend very well & overall I prefer both of them to Park everyday of the week..

Park is a great player but one that has his limitations.. He cannot excel where Valencia & Nani can.. He is not as quick, nor as creative as either of them.. Plus he cannot create something out of nothing.. Where as Nani can and Valencia I am sure will get there sooner rather than later.. Park IMO is just average at everything!

M160RA

I thought he did quite well today, and the way he's settled in makes me think he'll be an important player for us this season. His acceleration and strength is superb, and he tracks back well. If he can be more consistent with his crossing, he'll have a lot of assists by the end of the season.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Yes. If he has only one trick it won't work against better defenders. He always looks to go on the outside. He never cut in once.
I suspect we will see him leaving more and more top defenders in his wake with that blistering acceleration. Which foot he then uses will be fairly irrelevant although I agree that if he used his left foot more he would be more versatile.
I expect United's shape and style of play will accommodate any facets that his game lacks just to have his pace and penetration.

Red Sense

I thought he did quite well today, and the way he's settled in makes me think he'll be an important player for us this season. His acceleration and strength is superb, and he tracks back well. If he can be more consistent with his crossing, he'll have a lot of assists by the end of the season.
Last year he played 84 crosses for wigan

Amir

It's funny, really. People were talking this summer about his successful tackling rate and didn't understand how a winger does that. Well, a great tackle by Valencia set us up on the early attack that Fletcher should have scored from.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Pathetic of the Wigan fans to boo him after all he did for them. Small time.
When the teams were read out before the game he got a loud cheer and he was applauded off the pitch from warming up. He was only boo'd after he went down clutching his face which the Wigan fans saw as diving/cheating.

Iv not read all the comments but anyone saying he always does the same thing and never cuts inside, go and look at Rooneys seconds goal again.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's about as good as they come at getting in perfect crosses without the need to beat a man. Valencia obviously doesnt come close.

By mid way through the second half, everytime Valencia dropped his shoulder and moved the ball on the outside and tried to run past the defender, he got tackled. Eventually he cottoned on to the trick he spent the whole game performing.

Valencia does have a left foot, I remember he scored a great goal with it last season. Problem is he obviously doesnt trust it and very, very rarely changes it up and moves inside. He needs to do that more so he's less predictable.
He's no David Beckham but he's very good at crossing it in without beating his man, better than anyone else in the team.

Fergies Formula

So how will he play today?

If there is ever a time to cast away any doubts its a big performance against the top four. If gibbs plays he can have a good time, might be a bit more tricky with clichy, but he will get space to play today i just hope he exploits it and stops being to predictable with his dribbling, needs to add some variety

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So how will he play today?

If there is ever a time to cast away any doubts its a big performance against the top four. If gibbs plays he can have a good time, might be a bit more tricky with clichy, but he will get space to play today i just hope he exploits it and stops being to predictable with his dribbling, needs to add some variety
I have a feeling he won't start. Hope i'm wrong though.

Fergies Formula

He has to start, Fergie said it was a mistake not playing him at burnley as he didnt know if he could play 2 times in a week. He hasnt played in a week now i fully expect him to start as we need his penetration and speed. 18million pounds worth of talent will not start our biggest game on the bench i dont foresee.

Carl

He has to start, Fergie said it was a mistake not playing him at burnley as he didnt know if he could play 2 times in a week. He hasnt played in a week now i fully expect him to start as we need his penetration and speed. 18million pounds worth of talent will not start our biggest game on the bench i dont foresee.
As i said, i hope he does start. I just have a feeling Fergie will want to play both Carrick and Fletcher as well as either Giggs or Anderson and can't see Nani, Berbs or Rooney missing out.

Fergies Formula

As i said, i hope he does start. I just have a feeling Fergie will want to play both Carrick and Fletcher as well as either Giggs or Anderson and can't see Nani, Berbs or Rooney missing out.
I do see where your coming from, but as we are at home and fabregas is out, I would like to see us go at them with 442 and our best players.

I would rather see berbatov and rooney start and i think that sets the template for the rest of the team, 2 supporting wingers. Plus i think berbatov needs to start for his confidence, we need to make him believe he is the main man.

And its the same with Valencia, give him the confidence in the big games to let him shine

Carl

I do see where your coming from, but as we are at home and fabregas is out, I would like to see us go at them with 442 and our best players.

I would rather see berbatov and rooney start and i think that sets the template for the rest of the team, 2 supporting wingers. Plus i think berbatov needs to start for his confidence, we need to make him believe he is the main man.

And its the same with Valencia, give him the confidence in the big games to let him shine
Completely agree mate, from the sound of it you want the same as me but its just a feeling i have.

Carl

I knew he'd want to play the trio i mentioned above (Fletch, Carrick and Giggs) but it's Berbs that has missed out rather than Valencia like i thought.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Not that impressed with Valencia so far. To be fair the season is only 4 matches old but thus far he just looks like a slight upgrade on park.

Ekeke

Never seems to have the ball under control, which makes it hard for him to advance up the pitch. And if he receives the ball running backwards he doesnt seem able to adjust his course and continues backwards for another 20 yards.

Has struggled again. Oh and he has a terrible habit of giving away a freekick almost every time he goes in for a tackle.

evil_geko

Only 4 matches ffs, roll your eyes at least after a season.

No, wait, better to sell him right? I mean he should at least have 10 goals and assists by now, he is clearly shit.:rolleyes:

Muppets.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Never seems to have the ball under control, which makes it hard for him to advance up the pitch. And if he receives the ball running backwards he doesnt seem able to adjust his course and continues backwards for another 20 yards.

Has struggled again. Oh and he has a terrible habit of giving away a freekick almost every time he goes in for a tackle.
Brilliant!

Muppets on here always criticized Ronaldo for not tracking back enough...now we have a winger who does...and people moan about him not being able to tackle well enough!

Carl

Valencia has been far from our worst player today.

Giggs has been shocking, had the ball in some really good areas and wasted it.

Berbatov and back to 4-4-2 in the second half please.

Ekeke

Brilliant!

Muppets on here always criticized Ronaldo for not tracking back enough...now we have a winger who does...and people moan about him not being able to tackle well enough!
Most of his freekicks have been given away beyond the half way line. Thats not tracking back. I didnt even mention tracking back, in fact.

Scholesy

He hasnt been our worst player by far.

But remember when I was questioning how much can he play like Iniesta/Modric, or is he simply only a power and pace player, it is evident why, because our attacking football has been rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.