Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nani Anderson Carrick Valencia

Looks quality to me.. We do not need any superstars in there.. I am well pleased with what IMO is our 1st choice midfield 4!
Had Anderson already fulfilled his potential, yes, but since he is far from that stage in his career, no.

Lets see more of Nani and Valencia this season to make a judgement on them but on paper we seem to lack a top midfielder and a top wide attacker right now.

Bape

Didn't Valencia do exactly that in preseason on his debut? Face facts, you're a spastic.
What, score in preseason? Yeah, and Ryan Giggs scored a hattrick :rolleyes:
Valencia's overall game will benefit from using his left leg more, you must be blind if you can't work that one out.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
No way Anderson ahead of Fletcher Chirag
That is why I said IMO.. I think Anderson in a midfield 2 with Carrick will blossom this season.. I only omitted Fletcher because he doesn't provide that x factor that Anderson does.. Having said that I know Fletcher is quality and will give a 110% week in week out.. We know exactly what we are going to get from him when he is on the pitch.. That is exactly why SAF prefers Fletcher to Anderson (who can be a hit or miss) Anderson needs to get that consistency in his game.. He needs to be given a run of games..

I am still sure that SAF made a huge mistake in subbing Anderson off on 45' in the CL Final.. I said it at the time and still back that.. Had he removed Park for Tevez that night IMO could have been a whole lot different..

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
But Anderson was rubbish in that game

Like really rubbish

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
But Anderson was rubbish in that game

Like really rubbish
So was everyone else.. Infact I think it was actually down to Carrick.. As soon as he got the ball he looked to make a 50-60 yard pass.. Anderson was our only legs and power in the midfield.. its not like we were playing with Fletcher.. It was Giggs FFS he was barely gonna run like a mad man and force a mistake.. We know Carrick doesn't do that often.. So who was gonna win us the ball back in midfield?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So was everyone else.. Infact I think it was actually down to Carrick.. As soon as he got the ball he looked to make a 50-60 yard pass.. Anderson was our only legs and power in the midfield.. its not like we were playing with Fletcher.. It was Giggs FFS he was barely gonna run like a mad man and force a mistake.. We know Carrick doesn't do that often.. So who was gonna win us the ball back in midfield?
If Anderson was our "legs and power" in that game it's no wonder we got owned. He had neither.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I won't point out his negatives ( Yet ) since it's too early too judge but basing on his positives, If you'd watched the whole match via replay or whatever you'd see a very industrial RW imo. He hardly gave the ball away, made the right passes at the right time, didn't slow down our play, dared to risk taking the fullbacks 1-1 and much much more. So why am I reading so many negative reviews from the lad. It's certainly a very good debut imo.

Man-United

Pathetic of the Wigan fans to boo him after all he did for them. Small time.

Ekeke

Does Beckham have a left foot?
He's about as good as they come at getting in perfect crosses without the need to beat a man. Valencia obviously doesnt come close.

By mid way through the second half, everytime Valencia dropped his shoulder and moved the ball on the outside and tried to run past the defender, he got tackled. Eventually he cottoned on to the trick he spent the whole game performing.

Valencia does have a left foot, I remember he scored a great goal with it last season. Problem is he obviously doesnt trust it and very, very rarely changes it up and moves inside. He needs to do that more so he's less predictable.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
He always looks to go on the outside. He never cut in once.
Ferguson should give him some minutes on the left wing and he can do something what Nani did against Chelsea in Community Shield or Middlesbrough in the league, in his first season. I'm sure Valencia has power in his right foot, it will give us more chance to score if he cut inside from the left wing.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Does he really have left foot?

Always the same dribbles... and right-footed cross.
He's got plenty of time to add some variety to his game. He's doing great so far. Always makes himself available for a pass, gives us width and maintains our shape very well, generally passes it simply but effectively, is effective on the counterattack due to his pace, and looks certain to get to the bye-line and whip in a fair few dangerous crosses every time he plays.

Rooney seems to relish playing with him. Not only does he have a knack of setting Rooney up with chances, but he's also a reliable outlet for those left to right crossfield passes Wayne loves to hit.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Had a decent game today and got a shit load of crosses into the box. He does seem a little one-dimensional at the minute though but i would bet that's something the staff are working with him on.

dhstriker

President of the Jamie Redknapp fan club
If he could improve his left foot he could be lethal. He needs to become a goal threat for our attack to be at the level it needs to be at.

Decent game today against an adoring crowd that turned hostile. Others have said it in here. He needs to become less predictable in his wing play. That and having a greater goal threat are the two things he must improve on as a winger. But the ability is there and we will give him every opportunity to realise his potential.

Keep up the good work.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Ferguson should give him some minutes on the left wing and he can do something what Nani did against Chelsea in Community Shield or Middlesbrough in the league, in his first season. I'm sure Valencia has power in his right foot, it will give us more chance to score if he cut inside from the left wing.
Indeed. I also wish though that whilst on the right he can cut inside his fullback some times. It will make him less predictable. But he has made a great start so far.

CptMarvel

If he could improve his left foot he could be lethal. He needs to become a goal threat for our attack to be at the level it needs to be at.
Yeah, if he could only score goals like the one against Boca juniors every game we could sell him to Madrid for £80mill next summer.

MaroonPondlife

Yes.

Against Wigan it worked well, but I don't think it will help us when we'll face a team with better defence.

It worked only because he's really quick player.
You see this is where good management comes in ... Against a very good left back, say Clichy, he'll probably struggle, even on his best attacking side ... going wide and crossing. This is doubled because united have two strikers in rooney who against good defenders won't score regularly in the air, and Barbatov who is too slow to make up the ground to meet the cross.

So you play somebody else on the right and/or change the formation.

If a team wants to stick more than one defender on Valencia then remind both him to draw and pass, and the support to get closer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Indeed. I also wish though that whilst on the right he can cut inside his fullback some times. It will make him less predictable. But he has made a great start so far.
I think his start has been decent to good. That point you make is an important one though. The few times he has come in he's taken the defender by surprise and it's gotten him into good positions.

He looks to have the right attributes but maybe a bit too one-dimentional at times. All in all, this is just the beginning, it's going to be a good while before we get a better idea of what he's all about and how far he can go with us.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I really like his attitude and style of play. Admittedly he is a little one predictable but it's very effective and with Nani cutting in on the left this gives us a good balance.

Big challenge for him next week against a good, pacey fullback in Clichy. I think he'll do well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought he showed a side of his game we haven't seen much of today - his range of passing. He plays in CM for midfield and is a very good passer of the ball. Rooney was harshly called offside today after a 40 yard pin-point pass the like of which you would usually expect from Scholes.

Very pleasing.

datura

I liked him today, it was a return to the preseason displays where he was very direct and took on his full back and was very positive. His type of player, although predictable, is very difficult to play against due to their speed off the mark.

MaroonPondlife

I liked him today, it was a return to the preseason displays where he was very direct and took on his full back and was very positive. His type of player, although predictable, is very difficult to play against due to their speed off the mark.
exactly. he is best at beating full backs wide. he doesn't necessarily need to mix it up that much (though its always going to help if he keeps them guessing). stick to what you do best.

Status
Not open for further replies.