Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we don't intend on using him as Arab, then we should sell. It will be painful watching him play as a winger for us again.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Did you follow him while at Lazio?
As much as I could with Serie A not being a particularly easy league to follow over here at the time. Poborsky was one of my favourites simply for his barnet. I remember his second season being better than his first half a season but he still was shipped out after that so I can't imagine it was any more impressive than I remember it not being.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Didn't hold a candle to Valencia's best season for the club
Its a different league and in a different era (United actually had quality wingers back then). However Poborsky was a much technical player than Valencia ever was.

devilish

As much as I could with Serie A not being a particularly easy league to follow over here at the time. Poborsky was one of my favourites simply for his barnet. I remember his second season being better than his first half a season but he still was shipped out after that so I can't imagine it was any more impressive than I remember it not being.
He was 'shipped' out because Lazio was heading to a financial meltdown + Karel wanted to return home. As I suspected you didn't watch the Serie A

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Its a different league and in a different era (United actually had quality wingers back then). However Poborsky was a much technical player than Valencia ever was.
Valencia was the better player however which is all that matters.

acnumber9

He was 'shipped' out because Lazio was heading to a financial meltdown + Karel wanted to return home. As I suspected you didn't watch the Serie A
Did you watch Man United when he played here? You don't seem to actually be able to talk about that.

devilish

Valencia was the better player however which is all that matters.
Not really. If Valencia faced the type of opposition Karel found at United he would have had a sniff to the first team. Beckham could humiliate him in the only good thing Valencia can do (cross the ball)

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not really. If Valencia faced the type of opposition Karel found at United he would have had a sniff to the first team. Beckham could humiliate him in the only good thing Valencia can do (cross the ball)
Probably but that still doesn't mean Poborsky was better which he quite clearly wasn't never mind "better than Valencia ever was" which is just being downright silly.

devilish

Did you watch Man United when he played here? You don't seem to actually be able to talk about that.
I did and I wasn't surprised that he didn't succeeded at OT. He came from a small club, he didn't knew the language and he was competing against a homegrown top quality player in a close knit team most of whom had been playing together since they were 13. Even the second most rated playmaker in that era struggled badly in that situation.

Do you think that Valencia would have been able to put Beckham on the bench?

devilish

Talk about English skills! Doh!
I am fluent in 3 languages and I can understand, write and talk in English. However I cant speak/write as fluently as an English born person.

devilish

Probably but that still doesn't mean Poborsky was better which he quite clearly wasn't never mind "better than Valencia ever was" which is just being downright silly.
As a player he was superior to Valencia. Valencia was lucky to come in a team which had no competition on the right flank. That's a luxury Karel never had

LouisDanGaal

Hey guys I know its completely irrelevant but does anyone want a dragged out conversation comparing a retired winger to a player we use as a fullback based on no footballing reasons at all?

acnumber9

I did and I wasn't surprised that he didn't succeeded at OT. He came from a small club, he didn't knew the language and he was competing against a homegrown top quality player in a close knit team most of whom had been playing together since they were 13. Even the second most rated playmaker in that era struggled badly in that situation.

Do you think that Valencia would have been able to put Beckham on the bench?
He was shit then I'm sure you would agree. Valencia wasn't better than Beckham but that's not relevant to the shite you were spouting about standards dipping. The comparison was bonkers. Valencia was better than Poborsky. And quite comfortably at that.

Sb_16

I know who I want as my player performance OP creator.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
As a player he was superior to Valencia. Valencia was lucky to come in a team which had no competition on the right flank. That's a luxury Karel never had
He must also have been lucky to win POTY I guess. The Czech guy was a bit shite and Fergie got rid. Don't be so sour. Valencia is twice the player he ever was.

devilish

He was shit then I'm sure you would agree. Valencia wasn't better than Beckham but that's not relevant to the shite you were spouting about standards dipping. The comparison was bonkers. Valencia was better than Poborsky. And quite comfortably at that.
As said, you probably haven't followed him in a team were he was first teamer.

devilish

I assumed you meant communication off the field(you originally said mutv interview), on the field its never been an issue from what ive seen.
I beg to differ. He seem to have the football intelligence of a catapult. Maybe that wouldn't be so much of a problem if he can actually understand his teammates

devilish

He must also have been lucky to win POTY I guess. The Czech guy was a bit shite and Fergie got rid. Don't be so sour. Valencia is twice the player he ever was.
To win POTY you have to play regularly. Poborsky had no chance in hell to achieve that with Beckham around. Also Poborsky played at a time when United were a better team. The 96-98 team wouldn't even contemplate having a player with such limited talent as first teamer on the flanks (ie Valencia)

acnumber9

As said, you probably haven't followed him in a team were he was first teamer.
I followed him at Manchester United. He wasn't good enough even as a sub. That's the only thing that's relevant to talking about how two people have performed for Man United and our standards. It's a frankly bizarre comparison to make. They signed for United 13 years apart.

LouisDanGaal

To win POTY you have to play regularly. Poborsky had no chance in hell to achieve that with Beckham around. Also Poborsky played at a time when United were a better team. The 96-98 team wouldn't even contemplate having a player with such limited talent as first teamer on the flanks (ie Valencia)
To win POTY you have to be the best player. Poborsky couldn't even get in to the 11. You are talking absolute nonsense.

Sigma

I didn't watch the second half, did he play as right winger or a right back?

devilish

To win POTY you have to be the best player. Poborsky couldn't even get in to the 11. You are talking absolute nonsense.
And Valencia would be in the same situation if he was part of the 1996-1998 squad. FFS he can't even put Lingard on the bench let alone Beckham

devilish

I followed him at Manchester United. He wasn't good enough even as a sub. That's the only thing that's relevant to talking about how two people have performed for Man United and our standards. It's a frankly bizarre comparison to make. They signed for United 13 years apart.
Stop being silly. He was. He did very well with Lazio in a league whose pretty tactical and defensive. Poborsky wouldn't end as right back because Lingard and Young are so better then him that's for sure

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's not the only one. Januzaj has more or less grown up in England, but his English is rubbish. It's quite ridiculous really. I agree with you though.
How is less than 25% of your life in England more or less growing up there? He also speaks perfectly understandable English.

Rossa

How is less than 25% of your life in England more or less growing up there? He also speaks perfectly understandable English.
Most teenagers I know who have spent no more than a semester abroad in England or the USA speak better English than Januzaj. As you say, it's perfectly understandable, but I'm surprised it's not better. Not a dig at him in particular, but still. Several Norwegian players who spent years in England playing in the PL only have average English. Maybe some footballers aren't that good at integrating?

LouisDanGaal

And Valencia would be in the same situation if he was part of the 1996-1998 squad. FFS he can't even put Lingard on the bench let alone Beckham
Valencia is now a rb. Beckham is not a rb, literally what are you talking about?

acnumber9

Stop being silly. He was. He did very well with Lazio in a league whose pretty tactical and defensive. Poborsky wouldn't end as right back because Lingard and Young are so better then him that's for sure
He really wasn't. He was utter garbage for Man United. Lingard has nothing to do with the fact Valencia plays right back so I don't know why you keep mentioning it and Ashley Young is a left sided player 95% of the time. You're going on a long overdue ignore. There's only so much shite I can actually subject myself to.

devilish

He really wasn't. He was utter garbage for Man United. Lingard has nothing to do with the fact Valencia plays right back so I don't know why you keep mentioning it and Ashley Young is a left sided player 95% of the time. You're going on a long overdue ignore. There's only so much shite I can actually subject myself to.
He came at United from a small foreign club, he didn't know the language and he had to compete with a world class homegrown talent in a time when United were putting forward the best youth crop in their past 30 years. That was a quite tight knit team which made it very difficult for foreigners competing for the class of 92 roles difficult. As said even JSV struggled to that and at the time he was the second most rated playmaker in the world.

The United team when Poborsky played were a total different beast back then to what Valencia played in. Even the manager had a totally different mentality at the time. Just few years before Poborsky came, SAF showed the door to two world class players to give space to Paul Scholes and David Beckham. Soon afterwards he went on bringing one of the best wingers during the Euros and a world class playmaker because he believed that Scholes and Beckham deserved competition. The SAF Valencia remembered hesitated to play Pogba or in bringing in top quality CM to keep his pack of old midfielders + Ando and Fletcher happy.

Poborsky wasn't as good as Beckham but few wingers were, especially in his own liar and amongst his own friends whom he had been playing with since he was 13. TBH I doubt that even Figo could cut it under such circumstances. Returning on Poborsky, once he left United he shaped a great career in Italy and is still remembered fondly by Lazio fans who are among the biggest cnuts in football and he did that in a role were players of his kind tend to struggle in the Serie A.

Ah I noticed that you put me to ignore. Oh well

Last edited:

LouisDanGaal

Valencia would have ended up in the same way Poborsky was if he had to compete with Beckham
You have a very novel way of arguing where you just keep writing the same thing over and over again even though several people in this thread have pointed out to you that your argument doesn't work at all, its not even a difference of opinion its like saying nesta couldn't get in to the team ahead of Ronaldo. Valencia RB, Poborsky RM. I'll leave it there Karel.

devilish

You have a very novel way of arguing where you just keep writing the same thing over and over again even though several people in this thread have pointed out to you that your argument doesn't work at all, its not even a difference of opinion its like saying nesta couldn't get in to the team ahead of Ronaldo. Valencia RB, Poborsky RM. I'll leave it there Karel.
Actually what happens is that I post an entire post and people like your good self tend to focus on a tiny part of it in a bid to avoid the main subject of my post altogether. TBH I should learn to just stop being so respectful and answer to every post. Now if you think that Valencia could have sent Beckham to the bench and become POTY in a team which had the likes of Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham and co in their prime (or close to their prime) then be my guest. I believe he would end up on the highroad just as Poborsky did.

Lets try again. Don't you think that its disgraceful that after 10 years making loads of money in England and in a sport were comunication among teammates is key, Valencia can't even bother to learn English?

Last edited:

LouisDanGaal

Actually what happens is that I post an entire post and people like your good self tend to focus on a tiny part of it in a bid to avoid the main subject of my post altogether. TBH I should learn to just stop being so respectful and answer to every post. Now if you think that Valencia could have sent Beckham to the bench and become POTY in a team which had the likes of Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Beckham and co in their prime (or close to their prime) then be my guest. I believe he would end up on the highroad just as Poborsky did.

Lets try again. Don't you think that its disgraceful that after 10 years making loads of money in England and in a sport were comunication among teammates is key, Valencia can't even bother to learn English?
Valencia is a RB now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I didn't watch the second half, did he play as right winger or a right back?
He played right back and was reliable as usual. Hopefully the fact that Mourinho picked him at rb is a sign of things to come. Not as good as Poborsky though obviously.

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door

He can speak English, he just does not do interviews in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.