Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

twitter thread suggester
He's a great right back. Should be a certain starter this season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He played right back and was reliable as usual. Hopefully the fact that Mourinho picked him at rb is a sign of things to come. Not as good as Poborsky though obviously.
Poborsky never needed to move to fullback because he's crap on the flanks. Oh well

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He can speak English, he just does not do interviews in English.
Thats what I heard a few times yea, he just feels like he's not confident enough to conduct full interviews while on camera.
Anyway he's our best RB so hopefully Mourinho can make use of him, seems like a Mourinho player, physical beast.

Last edited:

devilish

Thats what I heard a few times yea, he just feels like he's not confident enough to coduct full interviews while on camera.
Anyway he's our best RB so hopefully Mourinho can make use of him, seems like a Mourinho player, physical beast.
TBF there's hardly any competition there

LouisDanGaal

We know why don't we?
Because he is our best RB? and when he won poty it was as a winger but his game changed after a serious injury, so now we play to his strengths which leaves him at RB. Also just to point out he understands English, if you were willing to put in any effort at all and look it up rather than just spouting utter twaddle you can see him in occasional interviews responding to questions given to him in English, responding with English, he just isn't confident which is fair enough, he's a shy guy he doesn't spend his time doing interviews. Also given fergie managed him for such a long time and shipped out poborsky for not speaking English according to you do you not think if Valencia couldn't understand he would be gone too? again confirming he understands it.

devilish

Yea, and he's by far the best of what we have... so we're agreed he's not Cafu, but he's still useful?
Never said he isn't useful especially in our current situation were the team is not passing from its best of times and our only alternative to him is a wing back. That's something most people don't understand (I am talking in general here). Just because a person criticise a player on something that doesn't mean he wants him dead.

devilish

Because he is our best RB? and when he won poty it was as a winger but his game changed after a serious injury, so now we play to his strengths which leaves him at RB. Also just to point out he understands English, if you were willing to put in any effort at all and look it up rather than just spouting utter twaddle you can see him in occasional interviews responding to questions given to him in English, responding with English, he just isn't confident which is fair enough, he's a shy guy he doesn't spend his time doing interviews. Also given fergie managed him for such a long time and shipped out poborsky for not speaking English according to you do you not think if Valencia couldn't understand he would be gone too? again confirming he understands it.
Not really. Its because he became predictable and useless on the flank. Luckily for him, we were also shit in the Right rear flank department and therefore Valencia could try his luck there too and TBF he didn't done too badly there.

I've never seen Valencia interviewing in English

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not really. Its because he's horrible on Right wing. It was either him adapting in a new role we lacked quality in or he would be on his way out.

Adapting to a new role is a bad thing now? Yes he's declined horribly as a winger but he's made the best of it. All players decline at this age or at least most do.

ChaddyP

Boggles my mind how ppl still say he "isnt" a right back. Feck sake then who is? Hes probably played more games at right back for us than on the wing. Dependable, strong , quick on the counter and never gets beaten for pace no matter the winger. Is he the worlds best right back? no.. but who is?

LouisDanGaal

Not really. Its because he's horrible on Right wing. It was either him adapting in a new role we lacked quality in or he would be on his way out.

Because of the serious injury which killed his confidence taking on men so meant he was more suited for right back as I've already explained. Schweinsteiger initially played out wide but moved to cm but nobody talks about how he couldn't get in to the german team ahead of ozil or muller because it makes absolutely no sense, his position has become cm so we talk about him as a cm. VALENCIA IS A RIGHT BACK

LouisDanGaal

Boggles my mind how ppl still say he "isnt" a right back. Feck sake then who is? Hes probably played more games at right back for us than on the wing. Dependable, strong , quick on the counter and never gets beaten for pace no matter the winger. Is he the worlds best right back? no.. but who is?
It's just that one guy and i'm starting to think his grasp of English is worse than he says Valencia's is.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He won poty after his injury.

devilish

Adapting to a new role is a bad thing now? Yes he's declined horribly as a winger but he's made the best of it. All players decline at this age or at least most do.
Jeez does everything need to be twisted around in here? His predictable game became less and less effective and hence he had to be moved. Luckily for him he played in a weak side where we had issues even in right back so he was played there instead of being shipped off. He did a reasonable good job as right back mainly because he rarely gets injured + although he has hardly ever faced any serious competition there

Also note that Valencia is 30 years old. He's hardly old

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I think Valencia is important against lesser teams that are hard to breakdown as he basically plays as an extra right winger and has the athleticism to get back into RB when needed. It might be better to play Darmian against better teams but then Sanchez destroyed him in the Arsenal 3-0 last season so hard to say.

Paborsky.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The other regular one you see on here is 'not a natural right back'. What does it even mean? Like someone is born to play fullback, or the local Sunday league right back would do a better job because he's played there for the the Dog and Duck for the last 10 years.

FujiVice

I have no doubt in my mind he'll be first choice under Mourinho. Valencia is a survivor. He keeps on keeping on whoever the manager is. And he was pretty good last season. I'd have no complaints if he stayed as our number 2.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The other regular one you see on here is 'not a natural right back'. What does it even mean? Like someone is born to play fullback, or the local Sunday league right back would do a better job because he's played there for the the Dog and Duck for the last 10 years.
Not to mention the constant changing of criteria of what constitutes a 'natural' position to suit their argument.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Jeez does everything need to be twisted around in here? His predictable game became less and less effective and hence he had to be moved. Luckily for him he played in a weak side where we had issues even in right back so he was played there instead of being shipped off. He did a reasonable good job as right back mainly because he rarely gets injured + although he has hardly ever faced any serious competition there

Also note that Valencia is 30 years old. He's hardly old
So, what you're saying is that it more than a half a decade for people to figure his game out? His game was always predictable but he was was more than good enough to be still very effective until he suddenly wasn't. It wasn't due to defenders waking up one morning and figuring his game out. The figuring out argument is grade a bs.

He's been decent enough at RB and as things stand he's our best RB.

devilish

Because of the serious injury which killed his confidence taking on men so meant he was more suited for right back as I've already explained. Schweinsteiger initially played out wide but moved to cm but nobody talks about how he couldn't get in to the german team ahead of ozil or muller because it makes absolutely no sense, his position has become cm so we talk about him as a cm. VALENCIA IS A RIGHT BACK
I don't remember him taking alot of players on to be honest. He always had this predictable trick (ie hug the line and cross) which understandably grew old and therefore less effective in time. He was moved to RB because he became shit at the flanks and we had no right back to depend on (Gaz grew old, Rafael was made of glass etc).

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I have no doubt in my mind he'll be first choice under Mourinho. Valencia is a survivor. He keeps on keeping on whoever the manager is. And he was pretty good last season. I'd have no complaints if he stayed as our number 2.
He will.

I can see him lasting here for quite a while. He is still in great shape for someone his age too.

Our best RB imo.

0161_UNITED

No offense but he was a winger for United (and Wigan) for years. For Ecuador he played in the center of midfield I think. I think only under LVG and maybe Moyes in the past couple of years did he move to RB. Did he do it admirably and capably? Many might say Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not his traditional position played in for the vast majority of his career. Saying he's not a RB is really not that much different from saying, Rooney's not a midfielder, in terms of that's not the position they've played for the majority of their careers. The question is: Can they play the position capably? Can the they play in that position with distinction and at the level required for Man Utd? But to say it's their traditional position is a losing argument, IMO.

devilish

So, what you're saying is that it more than a half a decade for people to figure his game out? His game was always predictable but he was was more than good enough to be still very effective until he suddenly wasn't. It wasn't due to defenders waking up one morning and figuring his game out. The figuring out argument is grade a bs.

He's been decent enough at RB and as things stand he's our best RB.
There are many one trick ponies in football. A classic example is Inzaghi who was lethal despite having the talent of a Serie B type of player. It all depends on the player's intelligence and how ruthless they are. For example defenders were scared shit of marking Inzaghi because he would randomly dive in the box and was pretty convincing in getting a penalty. Valencia doesn't strike me as an intelligent/ruthless player at all.

I agree with your second paragraph. However I stress on the fact that there's barely any competition at the moment for the RB spot and there haven't been any for a long long time

devips

You can debate as much as you like, but what is certain is Valencia will be our first choice RB when the PL season starts. Ferguson, Moyes and Van Gaal - they all played him all the time for a reason.

Some people out here need to be a bit more objective, really. Pushing an agenda forever and ever is kind of boring.

LouisDanGaal

I don't remember him taking alot of players on to be honest. He always had this predictable trick (ie hug the line and cross) which understandably grew old and therefore less effective in time. He was moved to RB because he became shit at the flanks and we had no right back to depend on (Gaz grew old, Rafael was made of glass etc).
Yeah his skill set stopped being relevant for RW and he couldn't play there anymore, agreed. Then the next bit is he became a RB. He was for a couple of seasons great at RW stopped being and moved backwards because he is strong fast and hard to take on, so he is a RB. Therefore any judgements you make on him should only be as a RB. He is good in that position and he understands English so my point is that what you are trying to say is irrelevant, yes he is poor on the wing but he doesn't play there. De gea might not be a great poacher but it doesn't matter because he doesn't play there. As a RB Valencia is our best option, he is one of the better RB in the league, only Bellerin and Azpi are much better than him and azpi doesn't even play there. Maybe walker from last season too actually.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We're still pedalling the "he got figured out" on the wing? He played for Wigan for three years doing the same thing before United signed him. Unless someone figured out how to be faster than him, then there was no figuring him out. You knew what he was going to do but few could stop it. He had Evra and Cole on toast numerous times, the best full backs in the league. At his peak, his acceleration was just stupid.

0161_UNITED

You can debate as much as you like, but what is certain is Valencia will be our first choice RB when the PL season starts. Ferguson, Moyes and Van Gaal - they all played him all the time for a reason.

Some people out here need to be a bit more objective, really. Pushing an agenda forever and ever is kind of boring.
That's a bold stance, I feel I'm very objective - and expect him to not play RB for us at the start of the season. It's a difference of opinion, and I'm certainly not bold enough, and I'm very objective, not to declare it "absolutely certain" when I've got no clue what a new manager might think of him.

devilish

Yeah his skill set stopped being relevant for RW and he couldn't play there anymore, agreed. Then the next bit is he became a RB. He was for a couple of seasons great at RW stopped being and moved backwards because he is strong fast and hard to take on, so he is a RB. Therefore any judgements you make on him should only be as a RB. He is good in that position and he understands English so my point is that what you are trying to say is irrelevant, yes he is poor on the wing but he doesn't play there. De gea might not be a great poacher but it doesn't matter because he doesn't play there. As a RB Valencia is our best option, he is one of the better RB in the league, only Bellerin and Azpi are much better than him and azpi doesn't even play there. Maybe walker from last season too actually.
And I don't argue with any of that although I do believe we need to bring some competition in RB. I mentioned him becoming shite as winger when we were discussing Poborsky (lets not reopen that subject again)

devilish

Well its not as simple as that isn't it? Valencia moved to RB because he become useless as RW and Rafael was made of glass. If Rafael could string a couple of months without getting injured he would have been our undisputed no 1 right back (in my opinion Rafael had the talent to surpass even Evra and Gaz). Moyes did his outmost to get Coleman but he was too expensive. LVG on the other hand went on buying a wingback whose used to a style of football were wingers are barely used. Kudos for him for sticking to his role and doing a decent job there. However Its not as if everyone was happy having Valencia as rb.

LouisDanGaal

And I don't argue with any of that although I do believe we need to bring some competition in RB. I mentioned him becoming shite as winger when we were discussing Poborsky (lets not reopen that subject again)
I don't know, Darmian has a stellar reputation prior to joining the league, after that one good month he has been terrible but maybe he will suit a mourinho system better, most defenders do improve under him. I genuinely can't think of a RB we could realistically bring in, i'd love someone like kimmich or bellerin but no chance. I think in terms of a set of RB's ours are on paper at a pretty high standard.

0161_UNITED

I don't know, Darmian has a stellar reputation prior to joining the league, after that one good month he has been terrible but maybe he will suit a mourinho system better, most defenders do improve under him. I genuinely can't think of a RB we could realistically bring in, i'd love someone like kimmich or bellerin but no chance. I think in terms of a set of RB's ours are on paper at a pretty high standard.
Thanks, you beat me to posting it, I'm not sure why so many have written off Darmian already. I've no clue what Mourinho thinks of Darmian, much less Valencia, or who might be targeted in the market. Personally, I'm hoping Darmian comes up roses under Mourinho and stakes his claim to the spot. I respect the hell out of Valencia for his work ethic, and actually hope Mourinho finds a spot for him in the squad, but I've always found him a limited player, better suited for the squad, rather than a starting eleven.

devilish

I beg to differ on that. Darmian was doing very well with little Torino in a role which wasn't that of RB. I never thought he would do that badly with us tbh (there again most players under LVG underperformed badly) but its not fair to say he had a stellar reputation because he didn't. I don't mind having him around. There again I still see him as a temporary solution rather then a permanent one. There again, I come from a football culture which is pretty defensive oriented

devilish

Thanks, you beat me to posting it, I'm not sure why so many have written off Darmian already. I've no clue what Mourinho thinks of Darmian, much less Valencia, or who might be targeted in the market. Personally, I'm hoping Darmian comes up roses under Mourinho and stakes his claim to the spot. I respect the hell out of Valencia for his work ethic, and actually hope Mourinho finds a spot for him in the squad, but I've always found him a limited player, better suited for the squad, rather than a starting eleven.
I have a feeling that Mou would prefer to keep Valencia then Darmian around and while I agree with your assessment on Valencia if I had to choose between the two I would do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.