g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Antonio Valencia image 25

Antonio Valencia Ecuador flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Valencia doesn't have the acceleration to deal with Hazard??
Obviously I meant Mata doesn't have the acceleration, which is why I said it was a mistake for them to swap. Mata should have stayed with Alonso, but for some reason they decided to swap.

Rossa

Obviously I meant Mata doesn't have the acceleration, which is why I said it was a mistake for them to swap. Mata should have stayed with Alonso, but for some reason they decided to swap.
Mata would struggle with Cahill's acceleration. Agreed, but those decisions are made within a split second.

How did Valencia do against Hazard?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Mata would struggle with Cahill's acceleration. Agreed, but those decisions are made within a split second.

Hazard had the beating of everyone 1v1 today, and positionally was able to find gaps quite often too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Well he didn't do brilliantly but then Hazard always turns up against us. For some reason we ALWAYS let him cut inside, why didn't Valencia show Hazard down the line for the 3rd goal? really annoys me as he's so 1 footed!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There is someone that believes Valencia was partially at fault for their first (not third, FIRST) goal... anyone agree? anyone at all?

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Man...Antonio is getting judged pretty harshly considering Mou is expecting him to both initiate the offense yet still track back and help defend against one of the better offensive wings in the league. People want Valencia to be a great RB? Have the fricken manager stop using him to 1) initiate offensive attacks and 2) center the ball into the box.

Want to know why Valencia is playing ahead of any other RB? Because he can do more than any other RB on this squad. Is he the best positional defender? No. Is he a better defender/attacker (as the manager requires him to be)? Hell yes.

Look at the top 5 teams in the epl table right now. Look at who they have playing RB. The only one I see doing what Valencia does better is Walker over with Spurs.

You can't have a world class player at every position. You've gotta have good players (which Valencia is) along with a good team around him.

Is Danny Simpson (whose team won the league last year) better than Valencia? Hint. NO, he's not.

Sheesh. Fix the holding midfielder spot so Pogba doesn't have to defend (poorly) as much and this might not even be an issue.

I think he was partly responsible for their second goal
You mean the set piece where Smalling from the very start had marked the man (Cahill #24) who ended up scoring the goal? (2:31 of this video) Yeah, ok.

Like I said. You guys are unjustly tough on V Man.

Yeah...I agree that he shouldn't have switched off of Hazard.

Around the 58th minute of that game Hazard goes on the attack...and he has like a 20 yard lead on Antonio. Antonio tracked back so fast he was close to assisting Smalling on deflecting Hazard's shot.

You can say Valencia isn't being used correctly. Fine. Don't blame him though. And he's still a better RB than Darmian or Fosu.

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our main contender for POY he's been great this season.

Litch

Like Tony a lot. The issue I have like other players on the team is although generally they are playing well, they not in their preferred and best position. On this form Tony should be playing further forward on the right of a three. I think we have some good enough players but Jose fallen into the same mistakes as others IMO. We need players playing in the right positions

AlwaysRed66

Our main contender for POY he's been great this season.
I am not sure I would go that far, but he has been good this season & certainly one of our better players. What I would say is, that he is probably playing to his potential this season more than any other Man Utd player. Pogba is probably on the bottom of the scale.

Man Utd 1:0 Man City

TsuWave

idiotic yellow. such an average player and its crazy that he's our main option at right back, somehow he is well liked on forums though

has pace and strength but positioning and defending are so suspicious, and despite his physical attributes and the fact that he can burst forward with pace, his delivery is not the best either and that's being generous

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
idiotic yellow. such an average player and its crazy that he's our main option at right back, somehow he is well liked on forums though

has pace and strength but positioning and defending are so suspicious, and despite his physical attributes and the fact that he can burst forward with pace, his delivery is not the best either and that's being generous
I assume this is the first game you've watched this season?

m1y2

that's really impressive derby performance, hope I don't jynx it as he has tendency to bottle it with some shocking marking..

but so far he's been immense, Don't fool me LAV I am starting to think once again you can be a great fullback. The only think lacking from him now is that it's a shame that he's not younger! absolute monster, shame we didn't convert him into fullback years back

The White Pele

This guy is so good at right-back.

He's such a great outlet to release pressure in tight areas aswell. I can totally understand why all his managers have favoured him.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Another excellent display. Always thought he could be a wonderful right back and Louis + Jose = fulfilment of that theory.

redNATION

Given our problems on the wings, I would actually like to see him get a run out there for a few games. It would add some pace and directness, and he's got some defensive nous to do the tracking back. I'm surprised Jose hasnt tried this, with Shaw as a left winger, could solve a lot of problems.

snk123

Bang average post

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Terrible and tiresome post

m1y2

With Herrera our best player this season, these guys just breath for the club always gives their all and that's why they need to be the first names on the team sheet, wish all players had determination of the two..

nevertheless if #LAV25 performs like today, he's simply best RB in the league

hirotan69er

Will he die if he passes the ball forward and not to his left? There was a moment in the first half when Mata popped out in front of him. In that moment I thought he could leave the ball with Mata for a moment to go forward and get the ball back from him...but NO. It would be a perfect opportunity to attack from the right side, but Valencia had to ignore Mata and pass the ball to his left.

Status
Not open for further replies.