Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Definitely showing nothing at the moment to say that he should be starting over Nani. Bit ruthless seeing some of the comments about him, though. There's still a quality player in there somewhere that isn't necessarily gone for good. Looks a huge crisis of confidence admittedly but he's been a quality and classy player for this club and doesn't deserve any real scorn.

Woodzy

I thought he had an okay game to be honest. It does crack me up though when he decides to run around in a circle with the ball, using only his right foot of course, when he doesn't know what to do.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
In all likelihood he just needs a run of games to get the half yard of pace back, and then build up his confidence a bit. Trouble is, not sure he deserves the games, though he might get some when we rest Rafael.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He treats the ball like an alien object. He's fallen off the scale completely, it's unbelievable how shit he has become.

Cina

In all likelihood he just needs a run of games to get the half yard of pace back, and then build up his confidence a bit. Trouble is, not sure he deserves the games, though he might get some when we rest Rafael.
He's had this all season! Up until a month ago he was still a nailed on starter when fit.

sincher

He's had this all season! Up until a month ago he was still a nailed on starter when fit.
He's been in and out of the team, for a variety of reasons. You're right he's had the chance and needs to do more, but I'm talking about a proper long run of games. That he has not had this season... As I say, partly because he doesn't deserve it.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
It's time to rest Valencia, he has had his chance, and unleash MJ on the right wing.

sincher

Yeah I think Tony should probably be primarily backup for Rafael at the moment. You would hope that would incentivise him to sort himself out, think he needs to.

wr8_utd

:'(
Very poor in the first half but I thought he was fantastic at right back. Did a far better job than Jones.

wr8_utd

He's been in and out of the team, for a variety of reasons. You're right he's had the chance and needs to do more, but I'm talking about a proper long run of games. That he has not had this season... As I say, partly because he doesn't deserve it.
It's only recently that Valencia has been a little in and out of the team but before that he got a good long run of games. He started 11 games in a row until the Wigan game away.

I'm always right

I think one of the reasons he is still starting is Rafael. They work well together.
They do? This season?

Valencia really has been a shadow of himself this season, I don't think we've been brilliant down our right at all, if anything Rafael has been the only good thing about it, not some beautiful partnership.

wr8_utd

It's a bit of a myth that Rafael and Valencia work well and even more of a myth that Valencia has been covering for Rafael and done a good defensive job this season. Sure he's done a bit of decent defensive work off late but for most of the season he's been not tracking back or defending much and everything good down the right has been almost all off it down to Rafael. He'd link up equally well, if not better, with Nani.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ironically it has been our midfield combining with our forwards to get us through games this season while our wingers have been poor (with the odd cameo).

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
It's a bit of a myth that Rafael and Valencia work well and even more of a myth that Valencia has been covering for Rafael and done a good defensive job this season. Sure he's done a bit of decent defensive work off late but for most of the season he's been not tracking back or defending much and everything good down the right has been almost all off it down to Rafael. He'd link up equally well, if not better, with Nani.
That's just picking and choosing what you see, Nani is not good defensively. Running around abit doesn't mean that he is. Valencia knows how to press properly and good positional discipline.

wr8_utd

That's just picking and choosing what you see, Nani is not good defensively. Running around abit doesn't mean that he is. Valencia knows how to press properly and good positional discipline.
I agree he knows how to do it but I'm just saying he hasn't really done it much this season.

sincher

I can't really remember any team having joy down our right side this season? Maybe Chelsea for abit but Hazard is an exceptional player. I don't think that's all down to Rafael. He isn't that good :p
Being a decent second right back is not really good enough though, is it? He is bang out of form.

Platato

Psst!
What Nate said. We know Valencia's quality but it's just not there right now.

Honestly, I think he's struggling to adapt to this new style that we are beginning to see. It started at the beginning of last season. I don't think his speed of thought has been up to the standard of some of the other attacking players. Doesn't mean he's not a good player. More so just a different type of player and a more limited one.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Only saw the last 30 minutes but thought it was the best I'd seen him all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.