Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good game today, and not just compared to earlier form. Took players on and beat them pretty much every time. Used his left foot three times which was incredible.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Was decent. His crossing was piss poor. So much of our play went down our right, particularly in the first half. A confident winger would have been more productive.

He's showing signs of getting back to where he should be though. Good news.
Agreed.

Would you start him against Madrid?

Think they would be more worried about Nani

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
When Valencia finally cross with his left foot, it has to be result in a goal.

NinjaFletch

Said a lot that the two most dangerous crosses from the right were courtesy of Smalling.

I tend to agree that it was better, but it was by no means good.

Sam

Meh. People are clinging on to anything now with Valencia. Any game where he doesn't do anything particularly bad is now deemed as getting back to form.

He was okay today, but nowhere near the 'old' Valencia. Not even close.

Platato

Psst!
Dont understand what's wrong with his crossing. He's not shaping them as he used to

Cevno

His crossing was poor but his all round play was much better today. He was the main outlet in the first half when they were bunkering and involved in most of our highlights.

Even Poor crosses were a threat with enough bodies in the box. And then we built attacks from second balls.

He is getting back, imo. In the second half his all round play was better and even beat a man a couple of times and put in the trademark burst of pace which has been missing for a while.

kps88

Meh. People are clinging on to anything now with Valencia. Any game where he doesn't do anything particularly bad is now deemed as getting back to form.

He was okay today, but nowhere near the 'old' Valencia. Not even close.
Agree with this, people are starting to treat a couple of half decent crosses as progress. He's not had a good game in ages and is part of our second string team now.

Cevno

Yeah, agreed. Doesn't deserve to start that game though if we are playing Rooney right again, then might as well start him.

togg

Hasn't been a good season for him by any means, but there are signs his confidence is coming back a bit. I just think teams have sussed him out more since he has played for united. Anyway, hopefully next season he will get back on track somewhat.

DevilRed

I think Nani deserves to start over him against madrid. However, Fergie will probably go with a more defensive lineup and Valencia fits the bill. Either that or its 3 "strikers" with Welbeck/Rooney on the wings.

Cevno

Hasn't been a good season for him by any means, but there are signs his confidence is coming back a bit. I just think teams have sussed him out more since he has played for united. Anyway, hopefully next season he will get back on track somewhat.
Don't think it's a case of teams sussing him out. He is just having a below par season.

He's been here 3 seasons, and last year was our POTY and Fans POTY so i doubt teams have sussed him out after 3 seasons when they couldn't do it in 2.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think Nani deserves to start over him against madrid. However, Fergie will probably go with a more defensive lineup and Valencia fits the bill. Either that or its 3 "strikers" with Welbeck/Rooney on the wings.
If Nani doesn't start on Tuesday then I'll be baffled. I'm guessing that's why he didn't play today.

Surely Fergie wouldn't "reward" Nani for his MOTM against QPR by benching him for the next 2 games.

acnumber9

Nani was MOTM against QPR? Valencia is getting too much stick in here. I watched the game with three other Utd fans and we all thought he played well.

Varun

Staff
If Nani doesn't start on Tuesday then I'll be baffled. I'm guessing that's why he didn't play today.

Surely Fergie wouldn't "reward" Nani for his MOTM against QPR by benching him for the next 2 games.
I'd be shocked if Nani starts on Tuesday. He's been out for quite a while now. If SAF had plans to start him on Tuesday, he'd definitely have got few minutes yesterday.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Valencia played well by his standards but I'd still much rather see a Nani or someone who can score and create on that wing. His crossing isn't good enough and when he cuts in, offers zero threat... but his ability to carry the ball and run at players is definitely getting better and returning to a good level.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Valencia played well by his standards but I'd still much rather see a Nani or someone who can score and create on that wing. His crossing isn't good enough and when he cuts in, offers zero threat... but his ability to carry the ball and run at players is definitely getting better and returning to a good level.
He must have been amazing then I don't agree with the bolded part of your statement.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
His standards of late* i.e. compared to his form this season that was a good performance.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't think that people quite remember what Valencia's standards are at this stage. He was quite poor again if we're going by them.

Will Absolute

Nani was MOTM against QPR? Valencia is getting too much stick in here. I watched the game with three other Utd fans and we all thought he played well.
Getting so much of the ball and doing so little with it? Putting in a defensive shift is hardly good enough for a United winger.

acnumber9

Getting so much of the ball and doing so little with it? Putting in a defensive shift is hardly good enough for a United winger.
Well he did put in the cross that led to the opener so I think we can declare he did do something pretty important in an attacking sense.

I'm always right

I don't think that people quite remember what Valencia's standards are at this stage. He was quite poor again if we're going by them.
Completely disagree, just because he didn't have 2 or 3 assists doesn't mean he was poor. He carried the ball very well and was generally very good, but it seems only a game with a bunch of assists will please these days.

Tibs

No dude, he was poor, again.

He has had chance after chance, and he still isn't bringing his A game to the pitch. The excuses are running out, I mean someone above said it's because Val doesn't like playing in the cold.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself, is he as an attacking player bringing anything to the team? What other top teams would he get into with his performances this season?

kps88

Completely disagree, just because he didn't have 2 or 3 assists doesn't mean he was poor. He carried the ball very well and was generally very good, but it seems only a game with a bunch of assists will please these days.
Yet nowhere near the standard he set last season, so he was poor in that respect, like the post was saying. The only way he gets past his man these days is through a lucky ricochet. This time last season he used to muscle past them and whip in a dangerous ball. He's not been doing that for a while now.

And yes, an assist or goal would be nice. I'm sure it would help his confidence as well.

Andrew~

He wasn't poor. And neither was he particularly good either. That being said though, he looked like he is getting fitter and there was a certain 'zip' to his game yesterday.

Not a lot came off for him, but he was getting decent separation from his marker. It wasn't a good performance, but an encouraging one.

Timdbro

Jaysus, why is he so shite this season? Everything he does is so slow and deliberate, you're sitting there wishing he would cut inside or pass the ball, and he tries to do it about 3-4 seconds too late when it's not on anymore. Cue lost possession, etc.

LARulz

SELL HIM!!!!

But seriously, think he needs a talking to. I'm not sure what the issue is with him. Its not just that he's taking nobody on but can't defend or do a simple pass. He's lost all confidence randomly

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He's so off his game that it's cringeworthy to watch.

SAF will lose patience eventually.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Become a nothing player. Those advocating to sell nani, be careful wowhat you wish for. Young, valencia, giggs and a 20 yr old making the step up from a championship side as our wingers...

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He's been absolutely atrocious today. Lost possession almost every time he's had it and single handedly killed virtually every attack he's been involved in. He's actually become a negative influence.

Sell. Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.