Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think you are talking up an average display really
I think people are blind if they think Valencia played his usual safe game today. He defended resolutely, linked up well with Nani and took on his man. That's a solid performance that I like from Valencia and the sort of performance that people would give him a typical 7 out of 10 if he's on good form, I think. It's just because he's been so poor lately that people want him to be putting in 8/9 out of 10 performances that we saw at the back end of last season. That was never the norm and it's not what I expect from him in general. He's a solid, reliable team player that injects pace, energy and fight into our team and I thought he gave us that today.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think people are blind if they think Valencia played his usual safe game today. He defended resolutely, linked up well with Nani and took on his man. That's a solid performance that I like from Valencia and the sort of performance that people would give him a typical 7 out of 10 if he's on good form, I think. It's just because he's been so poor lately that people want him to be putting in 8/9 out of 10 performances that we saw at the back end of last season. That was never the norm and it's not what I expect from him in general. He's a solid, reliable team player that injects pace, energy and fight into our team and I thought he gave us that today.
Personally I think he was a 6.5 at best today. Even if you are generous and give a 7, which for me is what you should expect to be an average United player performance, the praise is contextual to the expectations on him these days which says a lot.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I also thought Valencia was fine, didn't do anything wrong at right back. Conceding just the one goal at Stamford Bridge isn't really that bad at all, it was our forward play that was very poor. He currently shouldn't be anywhere near that right wing position but our options are very limited there at the moment.

Brwned

Personally I think he was a 6.5 at best today. Even if you are generous and give a 7, which for me is what you should expect to be an average United player performance, the praise is contextual to the expectations on him these days which says a lot.
It says that Valencia's been so poor this year that a decent performance makes people happy. That shouldn't be much of a surprise. If he'd played like that last year I don't think anyone would've criticised him. No-one would've praised him either, of course, but then I don't know why anyone wants to hold him to the standards of last season. He's had a 'mare this year, we all know that, what's the problem with enjoying him getting back to an "average" standard in the context of last year's performance?

gza the genius

He did all of that from right back though, when he moved up to the wing he was just as useless as he has been all season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It says that Valencia's been so poor this year that a decent performance makes people happy. That shouldn't be much of a surprise. If he'd played like that last year I don't think anyone would've criticised him. No-one would've praised him either, of course, but then I don't know why anyone wants to hold him to the standards of last season. He's had a 'mare this year, we all know that, what's the problem with enjoying him getting back to an "average" standard in the context of last year's performance?
Because I don't think any player should be praised for being "not shit". We're United not Aston Villa.

Brwned

Because I don't think any player should be praised for being "not shit". We're United not Aston Villa.
That's cool. When players are in a poor run of form and they play decently I'll look at the positive side of that. You'll prefer to maintain those expectations because you hold yourself to a higher standard as a proud Manchester United fan. Horses for courses and whatnot. Sometimes that means you'll be demanding Ryan Giggs retires, sometimes that means I'll be praising a player that doesn't deserve praise. It's a crazy world.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah, my point was earlier he was good at RB but then average and again reluctant on the wing (which is his position)

He had a couple of link ups with Nani, granted, but that was in a period of 10 minutes or so then Nani went off.

I am all for giving praise where it is due but as I said, average performance for me and certainly nothing to write home about.

Godfather

According to SAF he was the only one reaching his standard and playing well for 90 mins. He really has a soft spot for him doesnt he?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Admittedly he's been bad this season, but he did everything that could have been asked of him today.

gza the genius

Today's performance just doesn't really matter to me for Valencia, yes he was good as a right back but we don't need him to be good there. It's nice that he is able to cover for Rafael but I'd much rather see him play well on the wing again and when he was moved further forward today I thought he played just as bad as he has all season.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Promising signs today. He looks to have gained his confidence back or something. Looked to have belief that he could actually go forward and beat his man. Didn't see any of the stop and blank looking around pauses that have become the norm with him this season. Hopefully he can keep this type of thing up as it is only a matter of time before his crossing starts to improves as well.

wonnie

If his poor for persists we should just play him at right back. His got all the attributes needed for the position to do a pretty decent job there although perhaps not against the best teams.

Playing at right back he doesn't need as much creativity, guile in front of goal but just needs to be able to go up and down the pitch (which he does well) and keep the width (which he does even better).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Best I've seen him this season. And that's when he played in right back. Don't know why, but I actually feel a lot more secure with Valencia as right back than Rafael, defending wise. He just look more solid.

Platato

Psst!
Then you must not remember his previous performances at right back.........

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Best I've seen him this season. And that's when he played in right back. Don't know why, but I actually feel a lot more secure with Valencia as right back than Rafael, defending wise. He just look more solid.
It's all looks my friend because Rafael is by far the club's best RB offensively and defensively despite his age.Valencia is a good option to have that's for sure

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Valencia may be not as exceptional going forward, but he rarely (almost) give you a heart attack, like every time Rafael flying into those tackles.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If his poor for persists we should just play him at right back. His got all the attributes needed for the position to do a pretty decent job there although perhaps not against the best teams.

Playing at right back he doesn't need as much creativity, guile in front of goal but just needs to be able to go up and down the pitch (which he does well) and keep the width (which he does even better).
You would want him to start right back ahead of Rafael? Why on earth would someone want that...
Rafael has the potential to be the best right back in the world, and this season he has shown that and has been probably the best right back in the league. Valencia's a good option to have there as back up, but he is nothing more then back up for that spot.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Valencia may be not as exceptional going forward, but he rarely (almost) give you a heart attack, like every time Rafael flying into those tackles.
Have you not watched him at all this season then? He's probably been our third best player this season, behind Carrick and Van Persie. You're just using old outdated stereotypes about him.

Will Absolute

Strange how old notions persist. It's understandable that commenatators should be a little behind the curve on a player's development, but fans who watch United every week?

NM

Surprised. You are usually clued up mate. Rafael rarely does that anymore.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Rafael has been a defensive rock this season. Not perfect...early in the season there was a cross or two he couldn't dispense with and he did react too slowly on one the goals that resulted from a De Gea parry, but he's really been fantastic for most of the season.

If Rafael not the RB of of the season, then he's only second to Zabaleta. I don't watch City every week so I can't be sure, but Zabaleta has been very impressive on the occasions I've watched him. Gun to my head, however, I'd go with Rafael, but only by the slimmest of margins.

NM

Nope. I'm pretty sure he's still committing those tackles alright.

Isn't that the game where he had a mare in the first half? You can find any defender doing those occasionally. Btw, if you want Valencia to be right back, think back to the Basle penalty in the 3-3 draw.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is hopeless in the wing, let's move him to right back for good, and lets see if he could find a place with Rafael, Smalling and Jones also fighting for same position there.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is hopeless in the wing, let's move him to right back for good, and lets see if he could find a place with Rafael, Smalling and Jones also fighting for same position there.
WTF? Hope this is sarcasm!

Status
Not open for further replies.