Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

Oh great, another "definition of world class" debate.
Heh, I hate the term, I'm just trying to see how many different variations people give of it, shows how nonsensical the whole thing is.

Rossa

What does it matter how you define world class? The fact is that when Valencia was firing on all cylinders last season, there was hardly a better winger around (Messi and Ronaldo aren't wingers) - therefore he is more than good enough at his best, even if he is a one trick pony.

Mainoldo

But that doesn't mean players can't reach world class standard for a period of time before falling off. If two players have identical goal scoring seasons, with 35 goals each, but one of them then tails off the next year scoring just 10 where the other scores 35 again, obviously the latter player could be called world class but it'd be unfair to say the former wasn't "world class" for that one year period.
True. But then you have to define is it true exceptional talent you are seeing at that point. Ronaldinho was only hot for about 4years. But that was enough to place him as a world class player.

Mainoldo

Good for you that you know better than those who argue against you AND one of the best managers in Europe (is he world class though?)
Well if thats the case we should never judge Pele's opinions either?

Rossa

Can be placed in a world 11 with the worlds best and not look out of place. I.e inferior.
So basically there are only 11 world class players in the world at this very moment? Hmmm, so you have one world class goalie, two CBs, two fullbacks and the rest are midfielders and attackers. How would you fit Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, RVP, Rooney, Messi, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Ribery etc (I think the list goes on)

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
This has turned from the "Valencia was decent at best" debate to "Valencia isn't consistent" debate to "Valencia isn't world class" debate. Where next? The previous 2 seasons he was in the top 5 wingers in the world, this season he is nowhere near. Form is temporary class is permanent? Perhaps, he's still got a good 5 years of being at the best he can before we can see if that statement rings true.

Adebesi

So basically there are only 11 world class players in the world at this very moment? Hmmm, so you have one world class goalie, two CBs, two fullbacks and the rest are midfielders and attackers. How would you fit Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, RVP, Rooney, Messi, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Ribery etc (I think the list goes on)
Surely it isnt about picking an exact 11 players. It is about being good enough to play in such a hypothetical team. There might be 10 strikers who are all of a similar level, all of them good enough to play in this current World XI. If you are basically at that level, you are in, even if you might not be picked on the day. It is a big squad, a squad with no set size limits, only set ability limits.

The problem this throws up of course is if there is a scarcity of, say, really good left backs. Does that mean the best left back in the world is world class, even if he isnt that good? Answer: who gives a feck?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't like the term, be it said. But I think the definition given above makes some sense: A player who wouldn't look out of place in a world XI. You could go with Xavi and argue that he's the better player, but Schweinsteiger wouldn't look out of place. I'd still pick Buffon for my world XI but I wouldn't laugh at you if you suggested Neuer.

World class: One of the best in the world in a certain position at a certain point in time. A world class player isn't the same as a great player. The latter is someone who stands out even in a crowd of world class players. Or something.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If we're playing this game, my favoured construction of world class is would get is a 23 man squad to face Mars.

Which presents problems where you have an overload of good players in one position and a dearth in another I will admit.
Remember the old ad with Cantona, Desailly and the rest of 'em? Can't recall what it was for - Nike? "Au revoir!"

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If we're playing this game, my favoured construction of world class is would get is a 23 man squad to face Mars.

Which presents problems where you have an overload of good players in one position and a dearth in another I will admit.
I don't think that's a particularly good way of doing it. I think we'd rest players and give the young ones a run out against Mars.

Cina

Our midfield would get fecking hammered by Mars though, we'd need three in it I reckon.

Cina

Oh come on. Mars are shite! It is no exaggeration to say we could beat Mars with me in the team. A couple of rocks which may or may not prove the existence of water is hardly the basis for a decent football team.
They're bigger than us, broader than us and we haven't a clue what they're capable of. Be afraid.

Adebesi

According to Universe Today, "the average temperature across the Martian surface is -63 C. Parts of Mars have been known to drop as low as -123 C." So to be fair that is going to be a very tough away fixture. In that sense, we need to elevate some more Russians to World Class status, theyll be well placed to deal with those conditions.

Russians: World Class away, but often quite pants for home fixtures.

Mainoldo

Maybe you need to re-read what I said. I never said anything about one team i said a team of a wold XI. Whether past or future.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Wish he'd pile those low crosses in more often. They are so dangerous.
D'you remember how many OG used to get for us when Valencia was on form? Since Tony dropped off the service for OG has been poor.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Wish he'd pile those low crosses in more often. They are so dangerous.
Just said this in the Matchday thread. Why hasn't he done this all season? Defenders don't know what to do half the time, and if it reaches a striker all they have to do is guide it. So much more effective.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I think he has looked like the real Valencia today. Not just slightly better but actually very good.

Cina

He has looked good, but so have most of the team, this is a no pressure game.

Still, promising signs, we need him back to his best next year.

DevilRed

Smiled a little when I saw Valencia with the nutmeg and then a chipped pass later in the game. We need him at his best for next season.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
We can read that his confidence is back and his form has steadily improved from the dross he was serving up earlier this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.