Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxter

Not great. Could have properly torn apart their left side. Looks low on confidence if anything.

Ainu

It's not as if his game has really changed. He's never really been a player who's known for his tendency to mix it up: he's a very simple direct winger. He doesn't need new ideas; he just needs to be more accurate and consistent with what he is doing.
It has changed though, he's not doing what he used to do anymore. In stead of charging at players and putting in crosses with confidence, he just stops play and doesn't know what to do. He doesn't need new ideas, he just needs to pick up his old ones again.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
off touch today and a mediocre performance before the Arsenal red card.

Am hoping its just one of those days.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Vintage Valencia in the first half, mostly poor in the second. He's still comfortably our best RW and his bottom level, which we can see now, is still decent enough.

Cina

Vintage Valencia in the first half, mostly poor in the second. He's still comfortably our best RW and his bottom level, which we can see now, is still decent enough.
His end product was pretty much non existent in the first half, it was far from vintage.

It was a really poor performance by his standards, and he hasn't been good this season, simple as.

Tomuś

His end product was pretty much non existent in the first half, it was far from vintage.

It was a really poor performance by his standards, and he hasn't been good this season, simple as.
Yes, he hasn't been good and that's the best part - he still contributes.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
What did he contribute today exactly?
Pulled it back for both Anderson and Rooney in good positions, both screwed them up.

This waiting and pondering for 5 minutes before crossing the ball is new, isn't it?
Nope, he went through the same kind of phase last season right up until November - it's just what he does when he's a little short on confidence. People seem to have forgotten but you had comments like this right up until December, and then he just burst into life:

He really needs to put a good cross in early. It's like he is constantly waiting for the perfect time to release a cross but it just gives the defence time to organise.

Tomuś

What did he contribute today exactly?
Terrific link up play in the first half - see our first goal, defensive duties, beating his man for fun in the first half and 3 or four potential assists.

Didn't get numbers today (should have scored) but he does contribute. The way he was skipping past Santos was pathetic at times.

Platato

Psst!
I knew some people would rush to Valencia's defence in this thread. Very average performance from him. Why is it so hard to recognize that? He had quite a disappointing display. Still can't believe he refused to use his left on that golden chance. Got in good positions but that's half of it. Failed to put in any quality deliveries. I'm sure he'll see better days but for those who fail to see anything wrong with his performances, at least acknowledge when he's not performing up to his usual standards.

Tomuś

Don't have any problems with admitting he was poor in the second half. That was the poorest I've seen from him, which tells you a lot about his consistency.

He was very good in the first half and it seems that maybe it's his critics that can't admit it not the other way round.

kps88

Like most have said, he's been below par so far this season. Give him time. Can't wait till he gets back to his best form.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I knew some people would rush to Valencia's defence in this thread. Very average performance from him. Why is it so hard to recognize that? He had quite a disappointing display. Still can't believe he refused to use his left on that golden chance. Got in good positions but that's half of it. Failed to put in any quality deliveries. I'm sure he'll see better days but for those who fail to see anything wrong with his performances, at least acknowledge when he's not performing up to his usual standards.
I think everyone ín here knows that it was an average performance and no one has said anything other than that, but saying that he didn't contribute anything is just plain wrong.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good in the first half. Pretty awful in the second.

And... use that left foot!!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Thought he was doing well until he missed that sitter. He went to pieces after that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thought he was doing well until he missed that sitter. He went to pieces after that.
Yep. Average performance. Young was better than him, I felt.

MJJ

I hope so, Nani's been tremendous so far!
He has been better than valencia despite being off form. Within minutes of him coming on, we finally had a threat from that side. Cut inside as well to give us an extra option. All valencia did the whole game was dribble past santos then either pass the ball backwards/to rafael or feck the attack up.

Brightonian

Yep. Average performance. Young was better than him, I felt.
Ridiculous. He wasn't vintage Valencia but he still beat Santos constantly. Young did absolutely nothing. I know Nani doesn't like the left as much but if we insist on playing a winger there rather than a three-man midfield, could it not be Nani?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Ridiculous. He wasn't vintage Valencia but he still beat Santos constantly. Young did absolutely nothing. I know Nani doesn't like the left as much but if we insist on playing a winger there rather than a three-man midfield, could it not be Nani?
What's ridiculous? You don't think that was an average performance? I'd go as far as to say he was poor in the 2nd half.

It was the first half he had Santos on toast. Not the 2nd.

Tomuś

I am. I would rather have an off form nani than an off form valencia as the former will still produce one or two good moments in a match while all valencia does when off form is offer defensive solidity.
Well, this season proves you wrong but hey

Cina

Terrific link up play in the first half - see our first goal, defensive duties, beating his man for fun in the first half and 3 or four potential assists.

Didn't get numbers today (should have scored) but he does contribute. The way he was skipping past Santos was pathetic at times.
Anyone could've skipped past Santos, and I remember very little end product from him at all.

It was a poor performance, not sure why people can't accept that.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Off form Valencia is still good defensively, off form Nani is totally shit (though I'm always hearing/reading "he will produce one or two good moments in a match").

MJJ

Well, this season proves you wrong but hey
Nani has started four games this season while valencia six in the premier league. Nani has 1 goal/1 assist while valencia has 0 goals/3 assists. Yup, really proving me wrong. Nani also has 11(3) shots compared to 4(1) of valencia.

Cina

Oh goodie, here comes the Nani v Valencia comparison

"Nani/Valencia had a poor game today"
"No way, he still did more than Nani/Valencia would have"
"Nah he was crap, play Nani/Valencia instead"
"Whatever, Nani/Valencia has more goals/assists than Nani/Valencia!"

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Nani has started four games this season while valencia six in the premier league. Nani has 1 goal/1 assist while valencia has 0 goals/3 assists. Yup, really proving me wrong. Nani also has 11(3) shots compared to 4(1) of valencia.
Nani got an assist against Wigan too, the first goal.

Platato

Psst!
I think everyone ín here knows that it was an average performance and no one has said anything other than that, but saying that he didn't contribute anything is just plain wrong.
Aye. Unless we're under the kosh, he'll always contribute. Disappointing to see him be so ineffective though.

Tomuś

In that case, both of them have contributed to the same number of goals with nani playing 2 matches less and being more involved in our attacking play. Really proving me wrong, eh tomus?
Yes, it does. You made it look as if Valencia's useless when off-form. Now you proved yourself he's got 0.5 assist a game which is pretty good for a useless winger I'd say. That's not counting other things than scoring and assisting. Winger in football is responsible for attacking AND defending.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Oh goodie, here comes the Nani v Valencia comparison

"Nani/Valencia had a poor game today"
"No way, he still did more than Nani/Valencia would have"
"Nah he was crap, play Nani/Valencia instead"
"Whatever, Nani/Valencia has more goals/assists than Nani/Valencia!"
Err Cina you mentioned Nani without a disclaimer! do you think that wise? :nervous:

Devil may care

The Valencia thread is the complete opposite of the Nani thread, it's like he's made of teflon, where as any mistake from Nani and some are all over him like stink on shit.

I thought Valencia was poor and wasteful for the most part today, way too slow in deciding what to do at times.

Platato

Psst!
:lol: Some of you cant resist bringing Nani into the discussion can ya? We might as well combine their respective threads into one. It's like they're inextricably linked. Can't mention one without the other.

MJJ

Yes, it does. You made it look as if Valencia's useless when off-form. Now you proved yourself he's got 0.5 assist a game which is pretty good for a useless winger I'd say. That's not counting other things than scoring and assisting. Winger in football is responsible for attacking AND defending.
Read back...I said I had rather an off form nani than an off form valencia. You contested this by saying that this season is proving me wrong. How exactly is it proving me wrong when they both have the same stats with nani playing lesser games?

I acknowledged this, thats why I said valencia offers more defensive solidity while nani is helps out more in attack. Its a matter of taste imo and I prefer a winger like nani who should be starting if he resolves his contract issues.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The Valencia thread is the complete opposite of the Nani thread, it's like he's made of teflon, where as any mistake from Nani and some are all over him like stink on shit.

I thought Valencia was poor and wasteful for the most part today, way too slow in deciding what to do at times.
Have you read this thread today?

Status
Not open for further replies.