2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sylar

I just don't see it with him. Really hope to be proven wrong. I want to say he's not what I want from a wideman at Manchester United (same with sancho but I think Sancho is a better footballer)

With Antony he can't cross, he can't use his right foot effectively, he can't take on a man consistently, he basically nullifies a lot of our counters.
He cuts in a lot but doesn't become an extra man where we can overwhelm a team with possession (not yet anyway)...

So that essentially leaves his cut onto his left and whip it to the far post shot. I can remember three today, one over the bar, one wide (and probably over too) and then the one he hits the post which Essentially if he can't score those (or even make the keeper work ) what's the point ?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
ETH son it seems.

Unreal how he starts when he serves up shit on a stick every week.

He's so poor. I can't defend him, he's our Richarlison

MUFC60

That’s hardly saying much about Udogie tbh. Easiest day in the office he’ll have all season. The only left back Antony got the better of last season was Dan Burn. And he’s a 6’7 converted centre back with the turning circle of an oil tanker.

Watching him try and do ‘skills’ is just embarrassing. He’s Bebe/Obertan levels of bad. Some people just don’t want to accept it because of the money we spent on him. They’re burying their heads in the sand hoping it will all just magically come good. But it won’t. Because he’s crap.
Absolutely spot on.

kaku06

Doing a great disservice to Mitoma there calling him a mid table winger. He's easily top quality and better than any winger we have got currently at the club. Don't be surprised if City go for him now that Paqueta deal is seemingly off.
I mean wingers who play for mid table clubs.

Lecland07

I sometimes wonder if it would be better to use Antony as a left winger instead.
Probably, but that just means we signed another left winger, which is just terrible. We already have three players for that position.

saik

I mean wingers who play for mid table clubs.
Even then, Brighton aren't a midtable club anymore. They qualified for Europe, have started this season very well and have made some smart recruitments. Granted, playing in Europe this season might affect their performances but don't be surprised to see them challenging for top 4 and with the way we are playing we will be challenging for top 6.

kaku06

Even then, Brighton aren't a midtable club anymore. They qualified for Europe, have started this season very well and have made some smart recruitments. Granted, playing in Europe this season might affect their performances but don't be surprised to see them challenging for top 4 and with the way we are playing we will be challenging for top 6.
Mate, i don’t know what are you arguing about. I clearly mentioned forget top 6 means wingers other than the top 6. If you don’t think that’s midtable then fine, the point was about something else not the definition of mid table.

saik

Mate, i don’t know what are you arguing about. I clearly mentioned forget top 6 means wingers other than the top 6. If you don’t think that’s midtable then fine, the point was about something else not the definition of mid table.
Fair enough. I do agree with your initial point that there are midtable wingers that are better than him. Antony is literally offering nothing at this moment. Zero threat on that right wing.

Oldyella

I burst out laughing at that.
It perfectly summed him up. Horrible pass. Worked hard to win it back, just to instantly make another horrible pass. I would drop him and play Mount there for now. Sancho false 9 and get rashford away from CF

zaafi

Mid table wingers that are better than him in the PL forget top 6. Prove me wrong if so
Mitoma
Solly March
Olise
Bowen
Benrahma
Pedro neto
Willian
Jack harrison
Moussa diaby
Leon bailey

Must be plenty more. The absolute state of a £90m Manutd winger.
Pedro Neto who has one goal and one assist since 2021? To be fair, he's been injured quite a lot, but his end product and output is worse than Antony's. You would hate Pedro Neto if he played for United, but because you don't watch him play for your team, it's not at frustrating.

Strange to mention Diaby as well, who's played one game in PL. Maybe see how he adapts to PL first. Antony also scored on his debut. Leon Bailey is 3 years older and isn't even better. I agree with the rest, though.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Pedro Neto who has one goal and one assist since 2021? To be fair, he's been injured quite a lot, but his end product and output is worse than Antony's. You would hate Pedro Neto if he played for United, but because you don't watch him play for your team, it's not at frustrating.

Strange to mention Diaby as well, who's played one game in PL. Maybe see how he adapts to PL first. Antony also scored on his debut. Leon Bailey is 3 years older and isn't even better. I agree with the rest, though.
You say this as if Antony genuinely offers anything in the final third. At least Neto can carry a ball. Bailey is more skilled. Antony’s best trait is tracking back and keeping the ball under pressure (just to pass it backwards)

Matt851

What kills me is how our scouts walked away at a lower price in June, then for some inexplicable reason, went back for him and got rinsed.

Maguire 2.0
Even the lower price of circa 40m was too much. Its really concerning eth ever thought he was good enough and yet has been handed control of our transfers

RuudTom83

For all his faults he is still missed whenever he comes off...the alternatives are usually no better.

Nothing to shout about...but he worked hard today and it's a shame his shot didn't go in off the post.

zaafi

You say this as if Antony genuinely offers anything in the final third. At least Neto can carry a ball. Bailey is more skilled. Antony’s best trait is tracking back and keeping the ball under pressure (just to pass it backwards)
Oh, yeah, Pedro Neto can carry a ball, he just doesn't score or assist for two years. Impressive. Very nice. I also find it interesting how he can carry the ball so much better, but somehow Antony does it more often.

Bailey has got pace, which is the main difference. Not really a better winger.

Malone_Post

What kills me is how our scouts walked away at a lower price in June, then for some inexplicable reason, went back for him and got rinsed.

Maguire 2.0
Someone posted a link last season to an article or report basically saying that we’d scouted him since his Sao Paulo days and didn’t think he was good enough and all the reports on him indicated this. But ETH was insistent on him so the club backed him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Oh, yeah, Pedro Neto can carry a ball, he just doesn't score or assist for two years. Impressive. Very nice. I also find it interesting how he can carry the ball so much better, but somehow Antony does it more often.

Bailey has got pace, which is the main difference. Not really a better winger.
Since you want to be so pompous please tell me what Antony actually brings to our forward line

Drizzle

It's looking like we bought a decent scrappy winger, a reasonable squad player, for £84m. He's not shite, but he's clearly not the game changing elite wide forward this team needs.

So many of our attacks die with him. Not quick enough to burn a fullback, but not creative enough to unlock defences with smart passing and movement.

AndySmith1990

Someone posted a link last season to an article or report basically saying that we’d scouted him since his Sao Paulo days and didn’t think he was good enough and all the reports on him indicated this. But ETH was insistent on him so the club backed him.
It's exactly cases like this where the manager should be overruled.

kundalini

I don't rate Antony at all but I think he's started this season better than most of our starters, which isn't saying much.

Hit the post, though on the replay it didn't look that difficult to score given the space on that side of the goal.

Apparently he had 6 successful tackles and 2 interceptions. One key pass as well as 3 shots. Could have done better with the early chance from Garnacho's pass.

zaafi

Since you want to be so pompous please tell me what Antony actually brings to our forward line
Very little. I didn't say he brings much, I just said that some of the other wingers that was on the list of that poster aren't better. It's just the bias talking, but if either of those players replaced Antony, we'd be in the exact same position.

soapythecat

What a wank signing. He’s ETH’s maguire as he always plays. Offers nothing and a decent footballer can keep him at bay.
Antony and Mount will be the reason ETH is gone by end of the season.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Very little. I didn't say he brings much, I just said that some of the other wingers that was on the list of that poster aren't better. It's just the bias talking, but if either of those players replaced Antony, we'd be in the exact same position.
Sure, doesn’t mean they don’t offer more though.

This signing might genuinely be the downfall of Ten Hag if he can’t recognize it quickly.

VivaRonaldo85

If we had a couple of decent strikers, you could consider giving him a go on the left and seeing if he could beat a man on his strong (only) side, get to the by line and whip in some dangerous crosses. But he’d have absolutely nothing to hit in the middle so I don’t see the point.

Basically another major transfer blunder on our hands at the moment!

Eddy_JukeZ

ETH's insistence on him is indefensible and anyone else who backed this move should probably get axed.

I have no idea how we continue to waste so much money. He's going to be the reason ETH fails here if he does fail. Shocking player.

zaafi

Sure, doesn’t mean they don’t offer more though.

This signing might genuinely be the downfall of Ten Hag if he can’t recognize it quickly.
Ultimately, what we want are players that can produce goals and assists, otherwise we're going nowhere. Maybe these players can dribble better, are quicker or more technically elegant, but their decision making and output are on par - or worse - compared to Antony. I don't rate Antony very highly, but what I'll give him is that he usually finds himself in very good goal scoring positions. Even today, he was the one closest to scoring with his shot in the post. If he improved his shooting just slightly, he could be a very, very different player.

KD6-3.7

He’s bang average and that’s all there is to it, poses no threat and just gives the team no threat on the right.

This insistence from Ten Hag and refusing to drop him is just inexcusable.

city-puma

He did pretty well today but his transfer fee will forever be used to blame him. Of course, the fee is ridiculous, indeed.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He did pretty well today but his transfer fee will forever be used to blame him. Of course, the fee is ridiculous, indeed.
Even at 40m hes a bang average player

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'm beginning to lose patience with him but what's the alternative on the right wing? Sancho? Pellistri? He Who Must Not Be Named? None of them seem preferable. Unless Saudi chuck a load of money at him then I think we're stuck with him.

sillwuka

It's looking like we bought a decent scrappy winger, a reasonable squad player, for £84m. He's not shite, but he's clearly not the game changing elite wide forward this team needs.

So many of our attacks die with him. Not quick enough to burn a fullback, but not creative enough to unlock defences with smart passing and movement.
Great summary.