2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

croadyman

It’s been really really bad. Expected him to kick on this year. And it’s not that he’s not up to pace with the league, the concern is he’s not doing the simple things right.

Poor at crossing the ball and poor at weight of pass.

Really hoping it’s start of the season rustiness. ETH needs to give him an absolute bollocking. That performance is one of the worst I’ve seen from him (and there’s a few to choose from).
Not start of the season rustiness he just unfortunately for him isn't cut out for this league

croadyman

We should sell him. Due to the uncertainty of being only 1 year in, other clubs might pay 50% of what we paid. We could use that money for another midfielder. Unfortunately, we all know the club will squeeze every last performance to be absolutely sure that he doesnt fit, by which time every other club will long ago know not to buy him
Yeah I would be happy to see him moved on but like you say it won't happen for ages

JeffFromHK

I wonder why him and Sancho, both 90-100M wingers, are uncapable of bursting with the ball at their feet like how a 10M player like Pellistri could do often
I thought running with the ball is the most basic skill of a winger

johnnyteutonic

I would've been disappointed paying €25m on him, let alone €100m. How our scouts signed off on him is beyond me.
I mentioned this way earlier in the thread but our scouts actually did not want him.
On our reddit sub r/reddevils, after we bought him, someone posted a leaked scouting thread from the club.
We had been tracking him since his days at Sao Paolo and the conclusion the scouts gave was that he was too one-footed and that they thought he would struggle to adapt to the premier league.
Well, they were correct.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I mentioned this way earlier in the thread but our scouts actually did not want him.
On our reddit sub r/reddevils, after we bought him, someone posted a leaked scouting thread from the club.
We had been tracking him since his days at Sao Paolo and the conclusion the scouts gave was that he was too one-footed and that they thought he would struggle to adapt to the premier league.
Well, they were correct.
That’s why we need a strong dof / executive system. ATM all they do is fulfill the managers dreams. The club essentially has feck all to offer the manager but support and money. It’s not how the modern game works. We need to move to the dof - coach model.

johnnyteutonic

That’s why we need a strong dof / executive system. ATM all they do is fulfill the managers dreams. The club essentially has feck all to offer the manager but support and money. It’s not how the modern game works. We need to move to the dof - coach model.
Oh I fully agree with you.
It's quite a sad state of affairs when the majority of the fanbase are able to recognise this fact, yet our club, in 2023, still doesn't get that.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Well, they were correct.
Not surprised. Been hearing for years that our scouts have been ignored and marginalized.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oh I fully agree with you.
It's quite a sad state of affairs when the majority of the fanbase are able to recognise this fact, yet our club, in 2023, still doesn't get that.
In the end the owners set the tone and we have the worst ones around.

ScholesyTheWise

He's probably playing worse than he usually does because of the situation with his ex,
But it was there to see from his first couple of weeks. We got absolutely rinsed.

Other than tenacity and tracking back (and also progressing the ball, ok... only to lose the ball eventually) he offers absolutely nothing.
Shit decision-making, shit passing, shit dribbling. the occasional curler into the top corner, at a price of 2093049 attempts that go to the stands.

There's very little fun in being right about him. Hurts the club massively.
Bar Sancho who also should be moved on,
all other options are (marginally) better than him and should be given a go.

If ETH dies on this sword it's going to be a very sad sight.

Last edited:

zenith

He's quite bad and just grates me looking at him trying to be creative. Essentially we have no threat down the right side.

I'm afraid he is to ETH what fellani was to moyes, rooney was to van gaal, lukaku to mourinho and Maguire to ole.

I trust ETH is smarter than those guys, accepts his mistake and tries Pellestri, Sancho, Amad or even mount in that position.

Stacks

He's probably playing worse than he usually does because of the situation with his ex,
But it was there to see from his first couple of weeks. We got absolutely rinsed.

Other than tenacity and tracking back (and also progressing the ball, ok... only to lose the ball eventually) he offers absolutely nothing.
Shit decision-making, shit passing, shit dribbling. the occasional curler into the top corner, at a price of 2093049 attempts that go to the stands.

There's very little fun in being right about him. Hurts the club massively.

Bar Sancho who also should be moved on,
all other options are (marginally) better than him and should be given a go.

If ETH dies on this sword it's going to be a very sad sight.
He's not very good at football and yes it is sad to be right about him. Its sad seeing players die a slow death when you know already that they won't cut it, whilst all parties should part ways as gentlemen.

Stacks

He's quite bad and just grates me looking at him trying to be creative. Essentially we have no threat down the right side.

I'm afraid he is to ETH what fellani was to moyes, rooney was to van gaal, lukaku to mourinho and Maguire to ole.

I trust ETH is smarter than those guys, accepts his mistake and tries Pellestri, Sancho, Amad or even mount in that position.
That would not make him much smarter than the above.

fallengt

Never mind right leg. His decision making is really bad. Always picks the wrong option and often too late
To think that Ajax supporters came here and convinced caf that Anthony was next big thing...
Without context If you told me he was a 30m player, I'd believe you.

Stacks

Never mind right leg. His decision making is really bad. To think that Ajax supporters came here and convinced caf that Anthony was next big thing...
The Feyenord and Heerenveen fans said he was trash. There were warnings. Ajax fans wax lyrical about all their guys. For years they told us its not Donny its the system......

ScholesyTheWise

Never mind right leg. His decision making is really bad. Always picks the wrong option and often too late
To think that Ajax supporters came here and convinced caf that Anthony was next big thing...
Were there even that many Ajax fans who did that? I don't seem to remember it this way.

All I remember is not knowing who the guy was, then watching Youtube compilations of him and thinking that they look uninspiring, and how could it be that these are highlights from his better games, then telling myself that you can't seriously judge players off of Youtube.

Then watching him play for us regularly and not understanding why a section of our posters here are so adamant that he's a good signing.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We had a brainless player in Rashford on the left and we bought another one for the right.

Provides quite the balance you know.

fallengt

Were there even that many Ajax fans who did that? I don't seem to remember it this way.
His transfer thread and first few pages of last season player thread, You could find many Ajax fans. Most of them said they wouldn't sell for anything less than 65m

jamesjimmybyrondean

There was a time in the second half where he tried to dribble and lost the ball, then he won it back in immediately and lost it again :lol:. The idea that a striker would unlock Antony is fascinating. A lot of his problems have absolutely nothing to do with whoever is at the center

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Need to get rid if we can get most of our money back.

We as a club are very slow to realize when we have a dud on our hands. I would move both him and Sancho.
who do you propose is going to give you most of your money back? Even the Saudis aren’t that stupid, I genuinely believe Jordan Ayew is a more effective player

Litch

He is like the team at the moment, a tough watch. Sometimes you watch a player and you can see the talent even if its currently not working, but Anthony I dont.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I thought getting a new right back would open up the right for him and give his play a new dimension. That hasn't happened and it's the same old shite, there's just no dynamism in his play at all.

His passing and one touch play is shocking, and for an aggressive player he seems quite week. Everytime the ball comes to him he tries the same stupid control and flick. Need to stop playing the ball into his feet with his back to the defenders, he's not strong enough on the turn.He also lacks brains and his decision making is terrible.
This is the thing: he clearly needs an overlapping fullback, but his game as a whole is severely lacking and his ability does not warrant him being catered for, which is disappointing.

I believed he had the game to become a star here, but he is not showing the in-game intelligence or competence to utilise the little he seemingly has to his game, let alone expand.

His passing in particular is the biggest letdown for me. His dribbling is a gimmick and his shooting and crossing are substandard, but it's his passing compounded by his decision making that really concern me. The amount of times he flubs basic, short passes with undercooked passes whilst off balance is dreadful. What's more is he makes the unforced errors that hand the ball to the opposition directly and has our own attack suddenly in disarray as any decent oppo ball carrier or passer can immediately spring his team 40+ yards up the pitch because of that terrible pass - he's good for so many of them that it has to be a tactical window for opposing managers to expect and exploit - let him receive the ball in open space, corral him and watch him pass out poorly.

The few times we see a decent to good game from him, it's followed up by multiple poor ones that has all credit built lost again.

I believe what's happening to him away from the pitch is affecting him, but if it is the case, he should be out the team and the spotlight. He shouldn't be written off, but at the same time, he isn't a special talent you legislate for and others should get their chance to make the RW spot their own.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This is the thing: he clearly needs an overlapping fullback, but his game as a whole is severely lacking and his ability does not warrant him being catered for, which is disappointing.

I believed he had the game to become a star here, but he is not showing the in-game intelligence or competence to utilise the little he seemingly has to his game, let alone expand.

His passing in particular is the biggest letdown for me. His dribbling is a gimmick and his shooting and crossover are substandard, but it's his passing compounded by his decision making that really concern me. The amount of times he flubs basic, short passes with undercooked passes whilst off balance is dreadful. What's more is he makes the unforced errors that hand the ball to the opposition directly and has our own attack suddenly in disarray as any decent oppo ball carrier or passer can immediately spring his team 40+ yards up the pitch because of that terrible pass - he's good for so many of them that it has to be a tactical window for opposing managers to expect and exploit - let him receive the ball in open space, corral him and watch him pass out poorly.

The few times we see a decent to good game from him, it's followed up by multiple poor ones that has all credit built lost again.

I believe what's happening to him away from the pitch is affecting him, but if it is the case, he should be out the team and the spotlight. He shouldn't be written off, but at the same time, he isn't a special talent you legislate for and others should get their chance to make the RW spot their own.
What's going on off the pitch?

Andersons Dietician

He does good things like he’s an effective presser, he tracks back he often seems to be in the right positions but he has absolutely no end product. Tries to dribble his way through and often just loses the ball. Then when there is a pass open he will ignore it in favour of spamming finesse shot, and when there is no pass and he’d be better shooting he tries a pass.

He is looking like he is just going to be one of those players. Think I’d rather let Pellestri have a shot at the RW position.

Mike Smalling

Getting a little sick of watching him play. I cut him a lot of slack in his first season, because it takes time to fit in and all that, but his problems are way beyond that.

Makes bad choices, is not fast enough, too one-footed, and has an attitude problem. It’s amazing to me, that the scouts didn’t pick up on this.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Did pretty well ? Did you not see him lose the ball twice within the same sequence of play come on man. He might have done well compared to Rashford but he was still bad.
Reply to the wrong post?

redshaw

There was a time in the second half where he tried to dribble and lost the ball, then he won it back in immediately and lost it again :lol:. The idea that a striker would unlock Antony is fascinating. A lot of his problems have absolutely nothing to do with whoever is at the center
He did something like that in the World Cup for Brazil and from a resulting breakaway Croatia scored which took it to pens and Croatia won the shootout.

renatosanches85

Arguably our worst ever signing, at least the likes of Pogba, Maguire and Di Maria delivered on occasion.

GoldanoGraham

There is no way he can start the next game. Has shown so little in the last 2 games. Has been really poor. The whole front 3 is clearly not working, he is a major cause of this.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
ETH biggest mistake that will haunt us for years.
In no universe should Antony be brought to this league, let alone this club. And I'm ignoring the fee.

Redstain

Well, they were correct.
It was widely reported that ETH disregarded the scouts last season in favour of his shortlist. Again a DOF related issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...ited-transfer-news-Erik-ten-Hag-shortlist/amp

"It’s claimed that the Red Devils are ‘disregarding’ most of their scouts’ recommendations and ‘effectively starting from scratch'
And that’s because they’re choosing to go off Ten Hag’s shortlist instead".

Jev