Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He might have gone past players before buts it's a rarity
He went past players multiple times yesterday. Most obviously when he went on the outside to hit the cross that created the chance for Bruno.

The biggest differences between him and Nani before Nani hit his purple patch is that Nani was very two footed, which made him harder to defend against but also that Antony is vastly superior at defending and gives the ball away far less often. So if he can start to get close to Nani’s productivity then he will be a far better player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Except he wasn’t generally rubbish. He played a lot of good passes inside that created openings that lead to or should have led to chances. He created problems for his fullbacks with his persistence at taking them on. Created one of our best chances for Bruno. Nearly scored. It was a very good display.
It wasn’t a very good display. Perhaps you have forgotten what a very good display looks like. Maybe it was a ‘very good display’ when adjusted for general expectation of Antony. It was better than usual though for sure.

His game has no structure, and remains too random. He does too many strange things on a football pitch, and did so yesterday again. Nobody knows what he’s going to do. A little more worked than usual in the sense that he created one chance and forced one good save, but other than that - more poor choices and poor execution.

redIndianDevil

You're trying to be positive, but what you actually said was , he runs a lot. Which in fact is a good summary.
Well yeah. People tend to compare Antony to RWs in other teams. But I compare now to the times when we had Valencia failing to beat the fullback to put an aimless cross in. We in fact had no right wing for some time after Valencia left as well. Compared to those times, at least now we can switch okay from left to right and stretch the play.

Ibi Dreams

His game has no structure, and remains too random. He does too many strange things on a football pitch, and did so yesterday again. Nobody knows what he’s going to do. A little more worked than usual in the sense that he created one chance and forced one good save, but other than that - more poor choices and poor execution.
Isn't he most often criticised here for being too predictable?

I was only able to watch highlights, in which he looked like he had a decent game. He still needs to do more, and so do many of our players.

Lyng

He went past players multiple times yesterday. Most obviously when he went on the outside to hit the cross that created the chance for Bruno.

The biggest differences between him and Nani before Nani hit his purple patch is that Nani was very two footed, which made him harder to defend against but also that Antony is vastly superior at defending and gives the ball away far less often. So if he can start to get close to Nani’s productivity then he will be a far better player.
The only thing he has on Nani is defending. Every other part is vastly inferior.
Nani was frustrating but would always ask questions of the defenders. Antony is frustrating and only really creates something useful for us 1 time out of 10.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The only thing he has on Nani is defending. Every other part is vastly inferior.
Nani was frustrating but would always ask questions of the defenders. Antony is frustrating and only really creates something useful for us 1 time out of 10.
Not true. He retains possession better. Carries the ball high up the pitch without losing it. Nani used to frequently lose the ball in dangerous positions. It was his biggest/worst flaw in his first couple of years.

Lyng

Not true. He retains possession better. Carries the ball high up the pitch without losing it. Nani used to frequently lose the ball in dangerous positions. It was his biggest/worst flaw in his first couple of years.
He loses the ball constantly through bad passes. He will lose the ball, win it back and then lose it again.
I want the attacking players to be creative and actually ask questions of the opposition.
Antony rarely does that.

mavradal

Had a good performance against Forest and looks to have the work ethic to improve further which is why I think Ten Hag continues to play him even though he's not been consistent.

Bobski

If it was early last season a lot more people would be posting positive things about his performance. It was his best for quite some time, flaws and all, whether you think he will be a long term success or not (still in not category).

A problem in all fandoms is that when the fanbase have decided a player is not good enough they find it very hard to praise a performance from that player, well has been poisoned.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If it was early last season a lot more people would be posting positive things about his performance. It was his best for quite some time, flaws and all, whether you think he will be a long term success or not (still in not category).

A problem in all fandoms is that when the fanbase have decided a player is not good enough they find it very hard to praise a performance from that player, well has been poisoned.
Which is stupid. If someone can't be objective, they are a pollutant.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Still can’t believe we paid £90m for him. High way robbery! Wasn’t a fan of him when he got him. 12 months on - still not a fan.

criticalanalysis

My first question is, was this 'all' of his actions as I may be remembering some different things?

Secondly, watching this in isolation, seems like like he had an okay game, which aligns with what I had thought watching it live. Seems like he was deliberately coming inside to allow for AWB to hold the width at times in the first half. He has really interesting attributes and is disciplined positionally and tactically. It's just we are all hoping so much more.

RuudTom83

Still can’t believe we paid £80.75m for him. High way robbery! Wasn’t a fan of him when he got him. 12 months on - still not a fan.
Fixed it for you...but your point still stands...nowhere near the performance expected!

Valencia Shin Crosses

Nani was two footed, a better athlete, and better technically with far more in his locker. Saying an attacker is "superior at defending" isn't a good thing, and Antony only retains the ball because he generally doesn't try anything. His actual progressive passing is terrible. This cope is hilarious

criticalanalysis

Nani was two footed, a better athlete, and better technically with far more in his locker. Saying an attacker is "superior at defending" isn't a good thing, and Antony only retains the ball because he generally doesn't try anything. His actual progressive passing is terrible. This cope is hilarious
I don't necessarily disagree but Nani played in a far most functional team with established and conventional strikers.

Young Nani today would be an elite talent. Prime Nani would be top 10 level player in the world for me.

ScholesyTheWise

Thanks for posting that. This goes in line with how I remembered his performance-

a bit more direct, a bit more forward passing, a bit better reading of the game, at least 2 times where he progressed the ball from our half to theirs and was stopped with a foul rather than turning back himself only to pass it to AWB and killing yet another promising attack... nothing spectacular, not even a good showing by any real standards, but better than usual.

I'm not impressed, not even that pleased... but also can't say that I'm annoyed or disgusted by his performance, which I've been in the past.
If he keeps it up, he's going to be less of a problem in our quest to the oh-so-desirable top 4-5 ;)

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don't necessarily disagree but Nani played in a far most functional team with established and conventional strikers.

Young Nani today would be an elite talent. Prime Nani would be top 10 level player in the world for me.
Sure but my point wasn't Nani being a better player (he was though), but strictly talking about the traits of both players. It's not even close in that sense regardless of production

zaafi

I mean it is. Even if you don't want to go off the eye test (which is damning), his progressive passing in every statistic is, at best, middle of the pack to poor with creative numbers being especially dreadful for a player that isn't proficient in front of goal himself.
Since when is progressive passing something that is very important for wingers? Not that his is bad any way, he's actually quite good at finding players inside the box with his passing, he just has a bad habit of going for the shot himself which he needs to quit doing.

Statistically, wingers like Saka, Martinelli, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Kvaratskhelia, Sterling, Mitoma and Rashford all have worse progressive passing than Antony.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Since when is progressive passing something that is very important for wingers? Not that his is bad any way, he's actually quite good at finding players inside the box with his passing, he just has a bad habit of going for the shot himself which he needs to quit doing.

Statistically, wingers like Saka, Martinelli, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Kvaratskhelia, Sterling, Mitoma and Rashford all have worse progressive passing than Antony.
It's not, but you just named a load of players that range from good to *best in the world* at taking on defenders and beating them off the dribble while Antony is poor at it. Thus if you can't drive at defenders/beat them/create from that then you need to be able to create in other ways OR be a threat in front of goal and as an off ball runner (Rashford).

jesperjaap

The scariest thing is he has actually probably been our best attackign player so far this season, until we have a quality focal point up front which hopefully Hoijlund can be it is difficult to really judge both flanks, but theyve all been poor so far despite all the options

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The scariest thing is he has actually probably been our best attackign player so far this season, until we have a quality focal point up front which hopefully Hoijlund can be it is difficult to really judge both flanks, but theyve all been poor so far despite all the options
0 goals
0 assists

He's a fecking no trick pony and persisting with him will be the end of ETH.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He is improving, he tried a few things on his right side/foot.
I agree. Not an amazing performance as some others pointed out but an improved one. He also went to the right a few times so I hope he gets more direct and less stopping

Salfordlad70

He is improving, he tried a few things on his right side/foot.
I actually really like the guy and he is improving although there is much room for improvement.

His decision making at times is poor and yet he’s often involved in some of the best football we play in an around the box and he’s not afraid to make mistakes and the guy always makes himself available to receive the ball and his awareness of what’s around him is good. I don’t think we carry the same threat when he’s not on the pitch and I really think and hope that he’ll be viewed much more positively in a year or two.

If he can be coached to use his right peg more effectively and he is doing that more and more, the predictability in his game will no longer be an issue and learn that sometimes shooting is not always the best option, we’ll have a real player on our hands.

He’s not and never will be the Kanchelskis type of wide player. He’s closer in style to Grealish in my eyes and hopefully he’ll step up his game.

He still makes me crazy at times, but I do like him.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I think the clip that really irks me was at one point in the 2nd half when he had the run on one defender from a good through ball, with another defender for him to run at him.
Instead, while running towards their goal, it seemed his main goal was to shield the ball from the defender that was behind him, instead of attacking the one further ahead of him. The feinting, faking dribble etc. won him a foul at the end, but I can't imagine a proper winger like say Traore/Garnacho would instantly run at the last defender and try to pass him to create a good opportunity.

Rossa

Nani in today's game would be, as you say, an elite talent. He would go for obscene amounts. How many Nani's are there around now?

You could argue a strong case for Nani being the best winger in the world for at least a season - ruined by Carragher who was awarded with a yellow card... He was absolutely on fire and could go inside and outside with absolute ease and as ambidextrous as they come. When he realised how much more efficient he was being direct, he went up a few notches. I still remember him outsprinting Clichy, and from then on, it was like he never looked back before that injury. He did always like playing against Arsenal though.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think the clip that really irks me was at one point in the 2nd half when he had the run on one defender from a good through ball, with another defender for him to run at him.
Instead, while running towards their goal, it seemed his main goal was to shield the ball from the defender that was behind him, instead of attacking the one further ahead of him. The feinting, faking dribble etc. won him a foul at the end, but I can't imagine a proper winger like say Traore/Garnacho would instantly run at the last defender and try to pass him to create a good opportunity.
He's a vastly better player than Traoré or Garnacho though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He loses the ball constantly through bad passes. He will lose the ball, win it back and then lose it again.
I want the attacking players to be creative and actually ask questions of the opposition.
Antony rarely does that.
Another untruth. In yesterday’s game he completed 84% of his passes. He lost the ball less through bad passes than Eriksen did.

I actually really like the guy and he is improving although there is much room for improvement.

His decision making at times is poor and yet he’s often involved in some of the best football we play in an around the box and he’s not afraid to make mistakes and the guy always makes himself available to receive the ball and his awareness of what’s around him is good. I don’t think we carry the same threat when he’s not on the pitch and I really think and hope that he’ll be viewed much more positively in a year or two.

If he can be coached to use his right peg more effectively and he is doing that more and more, the predictability in his game will no longer be an issue and learn that sometimes shooting is not always the best option, we’ll have a real player on our hands.

He’s not and never will be the Kanchelskis type of wide player. He’s closer in style to Grealish in my eyes and hopefully he’ll step up his game.

He still makes me crazy at times, but I do like him.
Good summary. There’s a lot he needs to improve but it’s pretty obvious he’s already an asset to the team. He’s young enough he can suddenly turn a corner and become a lot more productive. If that happens then he’s been a good signing, if not he’ll be the latest in a long list of bad ones. Either way, writing him off already is stupid.

He’s in the firing line because he cost so much and people are generally unhappy with the progress under a manager who pushed hard to sign him. So opinions about him are heavily biased. C’est la vie.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He's a vastly better player than Traoré or Garnacho though.
You didn't get the point at all. It doesn't matter who is better/worse, but what he did in that attacking sequence and the decision he took. His first instinct was to protect the ball and not lose it instead of going all out at the last defender (in his current space). Other wingers' first instinct would be to attack the last guy.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You didn't get the point at all. It doesn't matter who is better/worse, but what he did in that attacking sequence and the decision he took. His first instinct was to protect the ball and not lose it instead of going all out at the last defender (in his current space). Other wingers' first instinct would be to attack the last guy.
If he thought he was quick enough he'd have attacked, kick and rush is just rarely going to be his game.

Jeffthered

It wasn’t a very good display. Perhaps you have forgotten what a very good display looks like. Maybe it was a ‘very good display’ when adjusted for general expectation of Antony. It was better than usual though for sure.

This. Absolutely.

We need to keep it real here. This is a v v limited player. I watched a lot of the game, Antony was just Antony. Big deal, for once, once, he decided to use his right foot. I mean, cue the celebrations, right?

And this is good enough for Manchester United?

I want him out the club. Just another Sanchez, Martial etc etc to me. Going nowhere, taking Manchester United nowhere. Sorry to be so scathing, but just look at his game. It isn't great. We give him credit for running back??? I mean, come on.

Some of us need to be a little more aspirational in terms of our expectations, because he wouldn't be wanted by any other big club. None.