2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Putting all banter aside

It's mad when you think about it. This is a guy who had two decent seasons in the Eredivisie and we thought it would be a good idea to spunk £86m on him.

If he'd been tearing it up and banging in 20 a season it still would have been a gamble considering how hit and miss players from the Dutch league are.
Exactly. I mean, say what you want about Gakpo, but he was really effing good for Eredivisie standards, same goes for Gravenberch. Both are doing pretty good now at Liverpool, nothing outstanding, but definitely adding a flavour in the attacking play of their squad. With Antony I've seriously doubted from the very first day if he would be good enough for the PL, since he wasn't anything really special at Ajax. I mean, he was decent, he was often better than the defenders of FC Volendam and NEC, but no I couldn't have imagined United squandering 85 million pounds on him.

Dve

The most annoying thing about him is because he wants to play as an inverted winger (albeit a terrible one who simply cannot cross and doesn't have Robben's eye for goal), when he routinely runs in behind and gets the ball behind the oppoistion back line, he at some point ALWAYS cuts back and puts four or five opposition players between him and the goal, when an orthodox winger would just break towards the touchline and look to cross, or an inside forward would make a diagonal run towards the goal. It's as if he is completely lost on a football field where there is no horizontal channel between the opposition's defence and midfield for him to run down.

See 1:19 here.
Antony was struggling the first half, but he was not at all that bad in the second where he had several good involvement and a few key passes through their defence. All those bits are "strangely" enough cut out of this crap you are posting; which I'm sure you are fully aware off.

Stadjer

Antony was struggling the first half, but he was not at all that bad in the second where he had several good involvement and a few key passes through their defence. All those bits are "strangely" enough cut out of this crap you are posting; which I'm sure you are fully aware off.
I did see a small summary of the game again today and Antony was part of some of better Manchester United moments. He just is massively disliked and when everyone plays bad his performance is still picked out as the worst of the bunch.

His price tag and the fact people already made up that he is crap will make sure that his 'good bits' are just going to be ignored while the bad parts will be highlighted even more.

Mwooyo

Anthonys problem is similar to sanchos. They rarely beat their fullbacks one v one. They always go back and recycle possession. This is why games can appear to pass them when their fullback isnt making overlapping runs to help them. If either of them played for say mancity, they would look absolutely world class…but at manutd they will always look bad. Manutd wingers have always been needed to have the ability to beat their fb one v one without assistance…and if you cant beat them at least have an amazing cross accuracy like beckham. Unfortunately their passing is also average with sancho being a slightly better passer than anthony.

All in all, anthonys biggest strength is his workrate when tracking back and that isnt good enough for a manutd winger

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I didn’t originally post this video. Someone else posted it above and I copied it to evidence a point I wished to make.

Rossa

What is he good at? He works hard, but Daniel James worked harder.

He's not slow, but he isn't fast either. He's quicker than Mahrez and Bernardo Silva, but he's not close to having the same effect on the team as those two. He isn't powerful. He has decent technique. Very one-footed.

Is the problem that he's trying to play as an out and out winger when he should be playing more like Bernardo Silva? He can't do what Nani did. He can't do what Valencia did. Ronaldo shouldn't be brought into this. He certainly can't do what Giggs did. So, we can't expect him to do what our former wingers did, nor should he try to. Trouble is, he can't do what Garnacho does, or what Rashford (when bothered) does either...

He turns very quickly and shields the ball quite well, so maybe he would be better down the center - no idea.

statpadder

I did see a small summary of the game again today and Antony was part of some of better Manchester United moments. He just is massively disliked and when everyone plays bad his performance is still picked out as the worst of the bunch.

His price tag and the fact people already made up that he is crap will make sure that his 'good bits' are just going to be ignored while the bad parts will be highlighted even more.
I watched every second of the game and Antony was actually good the few times we were attacking with the ball. He tried very hard, was combative and created a few half chances when AWB came on.

The hate he gets really gets me going. Why do fans have to choose their scapegoats and favourites? Aren’t we supposed to support the entire team?

He has not played a lot this season and only getting better every game. Unfortunately this fanbase only appreciates kick and run merchants who can beat their man and then waste the ball. We don’t like players who are technically solid. Antony would fit like a tee in the Manchester city team.

Eric_the_Red99

I watched every second of the game and Antony was actually good the few times we were attacking with the ball. He tried very hard, was combative and created a few half chances when AWB came on.

The hate he gets really gets me going. Why do fans have to choose their scapegoats and favourites? Aren’t we supposed to support the entire team?

He has not played a lot this season and only getting better every game. Unfortunately this fanbase only appreciates kick and run merchants who can beat their man and then waste the ball. We don’t like players who are technically solid. Antony would fit like a tee in the Manchester city team.
You don’t seem to have a problem with people scapegoating Rashford and Bruno. At least those two have had good seasons for us in the recent past. Antony, not so much.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You don’t seem to have a problem with people scapegoating Rashford and Bruno. At least those two have had good seasons for us in the recent past. Antony, not so much.
Well Antony has only been here 18 months, Rashford and Bruno have been here several seasons and both of them have more than 18 months worth of shite on their CV, of course Antony needs to be better but he's nowhere near as bad as is made out

Telsim

As opposed to Antony, who can't beat his man and still wastes the ball. And using "technically solid" to describe what he is doing is utterly laughable. Doing a few pointless fakes and spins, and then passing the ball back towards the midfield is not "technically solid".

ReparableTrack0

He is one of the very few players who make watching the game a chore. His play style sucks the joy out of me. It is the opposite effect of like a Neymar or Ronaldinho. I think both Murtough and Ten Hag will eventually lose their jobs for this mistake alone. What were they thinking?

Sylar

Here until 2027 (option for additional year).

We really could have just played a kid or got one from the championship for a low price, and I think they would have offered more threat than him.
His first three games where he scored was basically his peak for United.

Well Antony has only been here 18 months, Rashford and Bruno have been here several seasons and both of them have more than 18 months worth of shite on their CV, of course Antony needs to be better but he's nowhere near as bad as is made out
Rashford and Bruno for all their faults, have gone on runs of single handedly winning us games, scoring important goals, etc.
Antony has had 18 months, and thats enough time to see whether a player will make it or not. He is not a United player. Hes not a threat at all out wide. We could have got the same output by not investing in Antony.

Stadjer

As opposed to Antony, who can't beat his man and still wastes the ball. And using "technically solid" to describe what he is doing is utterly laughable. Doing a few pointless fakes and spins, and then passing the ball back towards the midfield is not "technically solid".
No but technically sold is what he did at minute 47 during the Newcastle game. Receives the ball halfway the Newcastle side, goes past his man and passes sideways to Hannibal. Hannibal passes to AWB who passes back to Antony while AWB makes a run. Antony has a decent pass (the pass takes out multiple defenders) to AWB who can cross it, without any Newcastle defender near him, from the byline. That is 'technically solid' team football.

Saying he just does some pointless fakes and spins looks just stupid. He does more but because you and many others dont like Antony, you dont want to see that.

Im not saying that Antony is good enough and he certainly wasnt worth the money that had to be forked out for him but he isnt as bad or useless as some here like to portray him.

Dve

I didn’t originally post this video. Someone else posted it above and I copied it to evidence a point I wished to make.
Then please accept my apology.
This was good for him?
You didn't see the game? Or just forgot that he had some nice involvements as well? Or are you deceitfully presenting this tenacious compilation as his every involvement?
It's called fake news, and you deserve a stern warning, IMO.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Nah. There are certain individuals I don't care to support. I don't lessen my morals for football.

C'est Moi Cantona

You didn't see the game? Or just forgot that he had some nice involvements as well? Or are you deceitfully presenting this tenacious compilation as his every involvement?
This is the Antony I have been watching in most games sadly.

If there is a video available of every good thing he has done since he joined United, then I would doubt it will be much longer than this one.

lsd

The Oracle
Then please accept my apology.

I didn't make the video and they are all from that game besides so hardly fake news. They show his first touch is truly awful as well

dutchred

We should try him as an orthodox left winger. He has enough pace and dribbling abiity to get past defenders. Maybe this way he can supply crosses for Hojlund instead of cutting in trying to score

crossy1686

career ending
In a possession based team that plays high up the pitch he can have a very good affect on the game, but he's instead been thrown into a team that wants to play transition football so none of his strengths are being played to in the slightest. Beggars believe you'd go for this guy and then decide to play to all his weaknesses

Dve

I didn't make the video and they are all from that game besides so hardly fake news. They show his first touch is truly awful as well
It's presented as is every involvement, at the same time as his every good involvement is left out. With other words, the compilation is a lie, and hence, fake news.

BuzzKillington

I’m unfortunately watching Leeds vs Leicester.

Dan James is undoubtedly a better footballer than Antony.

Works harder and has more technical ability.

Absolute shambles we paid €100m for an “upgrade” on a bang average footballer.

Last edited:

Dve

Not in a million years does James have more technical ability that Antony, and neither is there anything wrong with Antony's work rate. He has been pretty crap for us, but let's not make things up.

Rockets Redglare

You can just say Antony is shit without making ridiculous claims like this.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not in a million years does James have more technical ability that Antony, and neither is there anything wrong with Antony's work rate. He has been pretty crap for us, but let's not make things up.
Anthony has a better first touch, that's about it. On the whole, his technical ability is absolutely rubbish.

Dve

Anthony has a better first touch, that's about it. On the whole, his technical ability is absolutely rubbish.
No, I can't agree with that. More that anything, it's his decision making that is letting him down, not his technics.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
No, I can't agree with that. More that anything, it's his decision making that is letting him down, not his technics.
He can't cross, can't shoot, can't pass, can't take on a man... but apart from that?

RedStarUnited

We should try him as an orthodox left winger. He has enough pace and dribbling abiity to get past defenders. Maybe this way he can supply crosses for Hojlund instead of cutting in trying to score
He cant cross though?

Having said that I would like to see ETH try it for a game or so. Just to try different things.

Dve

He can't cross, can't shoot, can't pass, can't take on a man... but apart from that?
Right now, that seems to apply for every United player. I'm struggling to point to one single player that have shown any prof of technics of late, which suggest the struggles are of a different kind, i.e. confidence.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I remember watching a video of Malacia before we bought him, a stand out was him absolutely dominating Antony, which had me seriously worried at the time as Malacia was said to be more attack minded and weak defensively.

Turns out Antony is just shit at being an attacker - if only we had scouts eh?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
[Deleted because the clip was apparently misleading]

Last edited:

statpadder

This video pretty much sums up how dislikable Antony is. Ridiculous dribble attempt followed by an unbearable attitude to cover it up.
Nope. It rather sums up posters like you who instead of supporting the team are sharing stupid angle clips without context of your own players.

1. It isn’t a ridiculous dribble. It’s not like he’s doing the flip flap
2. It did touch the defender for a throw in. They showed it in a different angle. Guess you don’t remember while you were hating on your own player.

So yeah, try again.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Everyone always saying "Oh he works hard", "Can't fault his work rate" etc. etc.

Never seen him work as hard as Pellestri for that goal. That lad made the opportunity by never giving up.

I gave up on Antony a long time ago.

Zoo

Never worth that price tag but has regressed this season.

slored1

One of the worst wingers that I have seen play for us. Especially with the style we are trying to play.