2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Dearg hÉireann

And this is the nonsense, such opinions, which seems to be dragging our standards and expectations, as fans, down. Antony was not good yesterday. If you think that is the performnce of a good player, then that's up to you. Watch Son. Watch Saka. Watch Watkins. Watch Doku. Watch Martinelli. Watch Kulesevski. Watch Maddison. Watch Kudus. Christ's sake, watch Dwight McNeil at Everton right now..

The chance he 'created' was the most basic, straightforward pass that any player, even non-league player could make. Under no pressure and it was an obvious pass. And the whole situation arised from a mistake by a West Ham player.

The rest of his game was his normal, pointless self. How many crosses did he provide yesterday? (Or make that over the last ten games? )

Please don't quote international football: Fred played many games for Brazil, and Antony doesn't play ahead of Raphina, Rodrygo, Vinicious, Neymar, and there are some others who are miles better than him.

Antony would not look out of place in Division I. I don't even see him as a Championship player. He's one of the worst signings in the history of this great, great club.

But you think he is 'technically very good'. What does that actually mean? His vision, decision-making and contribution as an attacker, has been and continues to be consistently poor. He carries absolutely no goal threat, either as a goal scorer or as a creator. That is a fact.

I'm sure Antony can do many taps, tricks etc and you always, always have players who are great at futsal, five-a-side etc and are dreadful in a proper, 90/100min football game situation. I suspect he may be one of those players. Because this is one s*** football player. Hopeless and dramatic. A terrible reflection of where the club is.
Brilliant reply mate, and as you said, the very fact that poster thought it was a good performance tells you all you need to know about some people's standards.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
And we have to read all this nonsense after he’s had a good game in which he created a chance on a plate. This place just keeps on giving.

He’s a regular brazilian national team player guys. It’s okay if you hate him for whatever weird fecking reasons you have but he is not the problem with this team.

He is not a traditional winger who can beat players and the fact the manager keeps using him that way just shows our manager might be equally stupid as all of you lot.

Yes the fee paid for him is extravagant but anyone with a pair of working eyes can see that he is technically very good, has an excellent shot, touch, vision, close control and is very hardworking defensively as well.

Why does this place need to serve such shit to certain players? Why do we have to find scapegoats?
I would say if that's a good game, that's a massive problem in itself. Creating a chance is nothing Obertan couldn't do. The bar set is on the floor if you think that's a good game for a PL wide-man. The reality is that the bar on what constitutes a good game constantly lowers in relation to Antony; Rashford was flashing chances across the box during his dire period where he shouldn't have been playing and it barely registered whilst he got lambasted on here. The difference is, standards set for him are much higher. In fact he's set to the standard of what United attacker is supposed to have, which is where it is determined he's having an awful season.

If you read my posts in this thread you'll see I'm perfectly aware of what kind of player he is and also what he needs to be at his best, but that doesn't excuse anything. I'm also one who thought he'd do well here... but then, I thought ten Hag would too... so it's been a horrendous call on both.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ole was a top quality striker and probably thought he would have got feck all service from this clown if he was still playing and made the call that anyone with a brain would have done.

I do not mean to be derogatory to Erik but I reckon there must have been other things going on with this fee as many other transfers that go on because it really made no sense that a player that is so limited could command such a fee.
It wouldn't surprise me. Plus Hojlund too, switching agencies in the last minute.

Its like Arsenal's Pepe.

Bondi77

It wouldn't surprise me. Plus Hojlund too, switching agencies in the last minute.

Its like Arsenal's Pepe.
When something like this happens which really makes no sense then a company or a group of individuals are making money out of it and the same goes for that donkey that Liverpool bought as well.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Some of you need to abandon this idea of playing this chap in another position. He has too many deficiencies for that
He's definitely no defensive flanker! Doesn’t have the technical skills to play infield, but! I would try him wide left if he is to remain a fixture in the side.

Alemar

Some of you need to abandon this idea of playing this chap in another position. He has too many deficiencies for that
Let’s be reasonable: his level of performances is consistently unacceptable, so something should be done to handle it. What are the options?

1) Sancho him.
2) Change the system/philosophy to accommodate him better
3) Switch his position
4) Sell him

1) is not fair, as the guy works very hard and doesn’t deserve such treatment
2) is not about ten Hag - too stubborn
4) may be very difficult to find takers (unless we are ready to forfeit 60-70m of the fee we paid)

Option 3) is at least a chance to yield something out of his attitude and skills.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Let’s be reasonable: his level of performances is consistently unacceptable, so something should be done to handle it. What are the options?

1) Sancho him.
3) Switch his position
4) Sell him

4) may be very difficult to find takers (unless we are ready to forfeit 60-70m of the fee we paid)

Option 3) is at least a chance to yield something out of his attitude and skills.
Whats happened to his sexual abuse case?

Castia

Easily our worst ever signing. 90m quid and he's as average as it gets.

Honestly if you didn't know the fee and judged him on talent he'd be in the same bracket as Dan James and Elanga.

Crap

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Strange question out of nowhere. It doesn’t have anything to do with performance thread and in any case is a matter for regulatory authorities, not for us.

Seaside Aggro

What’s his level in comparison to Dan James? I’d say James was more effective, if not as good at spinning around.

soapythecat

This guy is one of the reasons ETH should lose his job. Massively expensive venerated such a poor player. Slow, one footed and lacks any football intelligence or creativity.
Not sure what we do with him under a new manager but he’s absolutely garbage.
Given the fee, he’s going to be one of world footballs biggest flops. He’s easily ours.

GoldanoGraham

Our only chance is some kind of Saudi bonanza….there will be no takers in Europe that would the wages/price point.

This is another very very poor acquisition. The cost to write this off is massive. However, if it wasn’t for the fee he would be nowhere near the first team based on his levels of performance.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

1) Sancho him.
3) Switch his position
4) Sell him

Is benching him out of the question ? Whatever happens, he has lost a tremendous amount of value so that's something we'll have to accept upon resale. So for me, he will have to be kept playing as a RW(starter or off the bench) until he is sold .
Switching his position and him performing is absolutely based on nothing. It's RW or nawt.

He's definitely no defensive flanker! Doesn’t have the technical skills to play infield, but! I would try him wide left if he is to remain a fixture in the side.
I'd entertain that tbh if he showed great passing and specifically crossing into the box. He is clearly of the mould "cut inside and shoot" with not much variety to his game

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Is benching him out of the question ? Whatever happens, he has lost a tremendous amount of value so that's something we'll have to accept upon resale. So for me, he will have to be kept playing as a RW(starter or off the bench) until he is sold .
Switching his position and him performing is absolutely based on nothing. It's RW or nawt.

I'd entertain that tbh if he showed great passing and specifically crossing into the box. He is clearly of the mould "cut inside and shoot" with not much variety to his game
His variety would come from a dangerous overlapping FB and a shorter, tighter interconnective game where there's plenty of triangulation options, but the same goes for Amad and Sancho and Antony is the least individually talented of the lot - every attacking positive is reliant on others with him just being another cog rather than the difference maker. Essentially, it's the overlapper who is the difference, not Antony, so his gig should be given to someone else, especially in the interim with no magical FB due any time soon.

I think he's likely to be better at mindlessly whipping in crosses from the left than mindlessly shooting from the right... but we're really scraping the barrel as in a proper team, he doesn't see the pitch.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We used to moan at Valencia but Valencia is 10 times the player Antony is.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We used to moan at Valencia but Valencia is 10 times the player Antony is.
That’s the thing. Valencia was seen as a step or two down from what we were used to, but he’s the embodiment of a god next to Antony.

MadMike

Well to be a defensive player you have to know how to tackle and all Antony does is run with his marker and then goes to ground nowhere near the ball and he is as weak as piss to boot.
He is not Premier League standard and he will get Erik the sack if he continues picking him.
Ten Hag deserves sacking regardless. He deserves sacking for how the whole team is playing. He deserves sacking for signing off on the signing of Antony alone.

But it’s not like anyone else is performing better than Antony at RW, so it’s not his selection per se that is problematic.

Skills

Snitch
It's worse than that. At the end of this season we'll still have £48m of his amortization left on his contract. Any fee less than than, will be a loss we'll have to carry on the balance sheet and that will cut the transfer budget by that exact amount.

Revan

Assumptionman
Serious question: would anyone take Bebe/Obertan (United’s version) ahead of him?

Not sure about them, but I would definitely take James/Elanga over him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The most damning for Antony was ten Hag abandoning the principles and philosophy he and Antony made their names off of. Everything I ever thought or wrote in projection about Antony revolved around us playing the Ajax way, not this verticality horror show you need pure, athletic widemen for, which is the opposite of Antony.

Why would he spend all that money on the player and then not facilitate his game? That has made so little sense to me that I swore it was just a matter of time before the cavalry arrived and ‘unlocked‘ the player. How or why did he buy Ajax players for an Ajax system and then do a 180, essentially setting his own signing up for failure?

There’s no way ten Hag has this job by the summer so there’ll never be answers or a conclusion to what has turned out to be a bizarre piece of business.

RedRocket9908

Antony has the potential to be an asset if the team play to his strengths but that isnt happening at Man Utd, Erik should try playing him on the left with instructions to left down the wing and whip crosses in with his left foot for someone like McTominay to get on the end of and have Rashford on the other side whipping crosses in with his right foot.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Antony has the potential to be an asset if the team play to his strengths but that isnt happening at Man Utd, Erik should try playing him on the left with instructions to left down the wing and whip crosses in with his left foot for someone like McTominay to get on the end of and have Rashford on the other side whipping crosses in with his right foot.
If his 'strengths' are being played as an old school left winger then there's far better players we could get for the same role.

Eugenius

The most damning for Antony was ten Hag abandoning the principles and philosophy he and Antony made their names off of. Everything I ever thought or wrote in projection about Antony revolved around us playing the Ajax way, not this verticality horror show you need pure, athletic widemen for, which is the opposite of Antony.

Why would he spend all that money on the player and then not facilitate his game? That has made so little sense to me that I swore it was just a matter of time before the cavalry arrived and ‘unlocked‘ the player. How or why did he buy Ajax players for an Ajax system and then do a 180, essentially setting his own signing up for failure?

There’s no way ten Hag has this job by the summer so there’ll never be answers or a conclusion to what has turned out to be a bizarre piece of business.
Antony was a panic buy post Brentford and Greenwood. I think at that point he was just wanted a known quantity/personality, and presumably he thought Antony could go up a level. It seems like he has stayed at the same level against much better opposition.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Serious question: would anyone take Bebe/Obertan (United’s version) ahead of him?

Not sure about them, but I would definitely take James/Elanga over him.
Obertan was clearly more talented, but had similar end product, and Bebe was easily bigger goal threat and would score more goals.