Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
yeah, the initial asking price was rumoured to be 70-80m euros with 50-60 for Martinez. The Martinez one turned out to be spot on, so i'm guessing that Antony one is also correct.
We are fecked then that's all our budget blown away.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
i'm telling you....we need to get this guy for our attack or we are going to have a long fuking year
Why? It's not like he's a massive goal threat. With Sancho, Bruno, Eriksen and even VDB we have creativity, it's someone to get on the end of things we're lacking without Ronaldo

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
[
Ok thanks. So if there is anything to this then we would be seeing movement now or soon.

We've apparently been quoted 80m euros, do you believe that? What do you think Ajax would be willing to accept for him?
€80m...

Maybe €75m if you're lucky. I would be genuinely surprised if Ajax sold him for less. Especially after selling Martinez for €67m. Antony in an attacker, 2 years younger and has everything to become a future star. The quoted prices are very high, but with a 3 year contract Ajax has no reason to sell him lower. Ajax want to keep him and if neciserry can accept a decent fee next year. No reason for Ajax to accelt a decent fee at this point.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The highest paid player at Ajax is Klassen whose at around 63k a week. Ronaldo has 500k a week with us
Im sure ajax could pay him 200k a week. They'd recover half of it through commercial deals and shirt sales.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Im sure ajax could pay him 200k a week. They'd recover half of it through commercial deals and shirt sales.
First of all not every club is a media/brand name giant as we are. Some simply lack the facilities to fully exploit Ronaldo's brand name. Secondly Ajax would probably be facing the Sanchez/Messi effect ie players already at the club would demand a salary that reflect their worth vis a vis Ronaldo. That is what rose our salaries to ridiculous levels and what brought Barcelona to its knees.

RuudTom83

If his preferred position is RW then I don't see the point in spending 70 million on a player to compete/rotate with Sancho.

United have bigger problems in midfield and CF that need addressing.

Asian Sensation

I dont get the hardball from Ajax regarding United. They act as if we have raided their entire club, when in reality, we just bought ONE player, and that too most would say in a overpriced fee.

Bayern seem to have raided Ajax more, but they dont seem to mind. Weird that they will bend over for other clubs, but suddenly find a spine when its comes to United.
To be fair we did take their manager and coaching staff which can be a much bigger loss than losing some key players.

Kaos

If his preferred position is RW then I don't see the point in spending 70 million on a player to compete/rotate with Sancho.

We're one injury away from having to play Elanga on the wings. We need the cover in attack, especially since we don't know how effective Rashford will be this season.

RuudTom83

We're one injury away from having to play Elanga on the wings. We need the cover in attack, especially since we don't know how effective Rashford will be this season.
True but 70+ million for cover...really? seems a bit "Football Manager" to me.

Trex

If they do a 65+ add ons its a good deal, line ups change so much over the course of a season he wouldn't be cover, he'll play a lot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
More like it seems a bit 2022. And I’m sure Antony would disagree that he is ‘cover’ anyway, which is the idea. Even fecking Spurs just spent 60m on a forward to provide cover. A top side needs at least 4 60m+ rated forwards. That doesn’t mean they have to spend that on all 4, but they need to be worth that. Like Rashford/Greenwood were not bought for 60m+ - but that was their value as players. Sancho and Martial, we had to buy for that amount (inflation adjusted).

charlenefan

Agreed, ETH playing Sancho in the position he was bought for makes this a no go for me this summer

Leave him at Ajax for another year, see how he develops and if we still want him go for him next summer. Ajax will do us a nice deal as VDS loves us

Kaos

Three potentially top class players competing for two positions is the level of depth we should be aspiring for anyway. Especially with the number of games we're expected to play next season. Antony would get plenty of minutes, even if both Rashford and Sancho are on fire.

Agreed about other pressing priorities, but it doesn't feel like there's any obvious candidate that fits Ten Hag's profile of signing. Hence why we're going all in on De Jong. I'd rather we moved away from signing arbitrary targets that end up being deadweight we can't offload.

Trex

Agreed, ETH playing Sancho in the position he was bought for makes this a no go for me this summer

Leave him at Ajax for another year, see how he develops and if we still want him go for him next summer. Ajax will do us a nice deal as VDS loves us
Sancho can play on the left as well, do you expect us to maintain the same 11 the entire season, they'll be different combination due to injury and rotation.
Our attacking option beyond the starting trio and Ronaldo is poor.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’d rather Sancho be our RW because something seems less natural or easier for him as a LW.

As a back up to Sancho then Anthony seems a bit expensive and yet a bit raw.

Whilst I know nothing about him, I wonder what the chances of Ten Hag going for the cheaper option in Madueke at PSV. I liked some of his YouTube videos. Whilst he is injury prone, he could then be our 2nd option to Sancho.

Trex

I’d rather Sancho be our RW because something seems less natural at him as a LW.

Then we'll have to trust the likes of Pellistri and Amad then.

Skills

Snitch
I’d rather Sancho be our RW because something seems less natural or easier for him as a LW.

Whilst I know nothing about him, I wonder what the chances of Ten Hag going for the cheaper option in Madueke at PSV. I liked some of his YouTube videos. Whilst he is injury prone, he could then be our 2nd option to Sancho.
It's the way he runs I think. It's almost like he's hunched over the ball when he's cutting in - while on the right, he seems to open hia body up.

Bebestation

Then we'll have to trust the likes of Pellistri and Amad then.
Im open to Anthony joining us - but I can potentially see “certain players” returning that can play that position as well.

Then having Sancho, “certain players” and Anthony seems much.

For ten hag’s first season I’d be happy if he came but would also be happy if he showed some patience to see if any pop up through the following season.

Trex

It's the way he runs I think. It's almost like he's hunched over the ball when he's cutting in - while on the right, he seems to open hia body up.
I prefer him on the right too, always had.
He's a creator first and foremost, unless you have a Salah type right winger Sancho should majorly be used there.

Bebestation

Yeah something like you said. I feel like he is easier to read a bit because the way he hunches over the ball stops him holding on to the line as much as a LW compared to the variability he shows at RW to hold his width or cut in at the same time.

Trex

Im open to Anthony joining us - but I can potentially see “certain players” returning that can play that position as well.

For ten hag’s first season I’d be happy if he came but would also be happy if he showed some patience to see if any pop up through the following season.
We're in the Europa league so yeah. But I think Pellistri is going out on loan again.

RuudTom83

100%

For next summer or January (because its a bit of an strange season with the WC) ETH has Timber and Antony on his list of targets. Lets see how Rashford/Sancho develop and what happens with Martial/Ronaldo and then buy the position that's most needed.

I suspect a CF will be far more needed that another RW.

All this is with the expectation of Frankie joining, if he doesn't then god no to buying another RW...sort the central midfield out.

charlenefan

Sancho can play on the left as well, do you expect us to maintain the same 11 the entire season, they'll be different combination due to injury and rotation.
Our attacking option beyond the starting trio and Ronaldo is poor.
In terms of depth we're in line with our rivals?

Nunez, Salah, Diaz, Jota, Firmino
Haaland, Mahrez, Grealish, Foden, Alvarez
Havertz, Sterling, Pulisic, Ziyech, Werner
Kane, Son, Richarlison, Kulusevski
Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho, Martial

Last edited:

Tony247

I think Sancho will be play roaming winger but mainly operating from right. If Anthony joins he will be right striker.

Castia

Would love this signing, we're desperate for attackers and Antony would be a great addition to the squad

Antony, A midfielder and a RB and it will be a very good window.

Status
Not open for further replies.