Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You’re not making sense; whatever way we qualify, it would be on us to capitalise upon in it - as far as the contract clauses, it would be partially fulfilled and a portion of the bonus money then goes their way.

Our priority is getting back to being a top 4 side - it’s worth a fortune for us financially as well as in terms of appeal to sponsors and top tier players alike.
I outlined it badly, what I mean is the baselines 80 milion is already a huge investment, one that would better be invested in players that have higher chance of justifying the amount.

Antony is a prospect, one that is still unproven and coming into a new league, while we're a team struggling to get back to the top , we can't afford splurging on prospects that may or may not help us get back there, it's risky and irresponsible especially if we could put that money to better use and as it stands i think we're massively overlaying for Antony.

I completely agree about your point in regards to performance based incentives although they must be wage based obviously .

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Or, he might not. At which point the damage done is much larger than if he was less expensive.

It shouldn't need saying but the money we spend on players impacts the club. Of course it matters.
Think the main concern is his physicality.

No doubt, Antony is technically brilliant and it can go very well for him but remember for instance Zaha being slim at United, or Depay both brilliant technically but it was too early for them.

Antony needs to bulk up a little but technically he can beat defenders for fun, I think if United do get him we can't expect much the first season.

Atletico paid €126m for 19 year old Felix 3 years ago. In that context it's not that crazy.
100% agree, and I think again you don't see the results the first year since they need to adapt, and grow physically he's quite built though (shirtless you can see it) but maybe not enough for the EPL yet.

For what it's worth though I think he can be truly great for United but there's an adaptation period.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Atletico paid €126m for 19 year old Felix 3 years ago. In that context it's not that crazy.
So if other teams pay stupid money we should as well? You can ask anyone at Atletico and they will tell you it wasn't money well spent, at least till now. What does he average? Like 1 goal every 3-4 games? Is that what you want from your 126m signing?

Woziak

i believe he will be a shrewd buy and will bring poetry to our flanks, the likes of which has not been seen since giggs.
I concur, he’s 22 might struggle initially with the PL but he will come hood and he’s lightning quick compared to Sancho, his pace is more Rashford and Ellanga levels, if we drop £140m on Cassemeiro and Antony it’s desperation but this is what happens when you chase FDJ all season we could be 1 point from 12 in terms first 4 games before these players come in and Murtourgh and the Glaziers would have cost us 8 points which yet again proves how poor we are at planning. Even if both light up the PL we can not continue, John Murtourgh needs to be sacked immediately and The Glaziers need to sell to Jim Radcliffe, they will not fully understand until they visit Old Trafford how I’m welcome they are!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If people want to argue that there's good reason for overspending on Antony, that's one thing. I might even agree.

But the "who cares what we spend, it's not our money" stuff is so far beyond stupid I struggle to believe people actually mean it. Obviously the money we spend matters.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
100mil for this guy? :houllier: He's entertaining to watch but his stats are pretty bad for the league he plays in. Looks like another flashy Brazilian flop imo, PL could eat him alive.

He could become a solid player but at that price tag, he better be the second coming of Neymar.

joedirt87

great googly moogly that's a lot of money. Casemiro is going to have to have one hell of an impact on the midfield to turn it into something competent that can feed the attacking players on this team.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's the one player I wanted United to make a strong move for during this window because I think he has something truly special about him but..that's alot of money. :lol:

Dempsey19

Moan moan moan.

Don't care what he costs. We need new players 2 months ago.

We are already at an all time low.

If he flops then so be it. If he succeeds then there will be ectoplasm all over the match day threads.

bosskeano

stop fuking whining abotu the money....we desperately need a player of his quality in our attacking options. Would be a brilliant signing on top of bringing in Casemiro

Sgreddevil

We need go get him as there are no better options available for RW in the market.
Our team does not have a real pure RW for very long. If he gets him, we can shift Sancho to LW which I feel suited him best. At the same time, say goodbye to Rashford.
No brainer deal given our currenr circumstances.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
100mil for this guy? :houllier: He's entertaining to watch but his stats are pretty bad for the league he plays in. Looks like another flashy Brazilian flop imo, PL could eat him alive.

He could become a solid player but at that price tag, he better be the second coming of Neymar.
At least he's better than Raphinha

HookedOnAPhelan

So if other teams pay stupid money we should as well? You can ask anyone at Atletico and they will tell you it wasn't money well spent, at least till now. What does he average? Like 1 goal every 3-4 games? Is that what you want from your 126m signing?
No.

I think €100m is very steep for a player like Antony. But I also think there's a big chance it'll turn out to be a good investment in this case. But it's a risk, sure.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
You don't look back on those signings after a few years, United need immediate results but if you want the best wingers you need to slump up the cash. Sancho will come good, so would Antony but the first season is usually a write off.

Castia

Mad money but after being linked to Arnautovic and Ziyech I say spend the cash feck em.

Maybe we'll learn something. If this deal was done in early June he doesn't cost 100m.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
200 million euro for attackers we can't get the ball to because of the midfield.
I think United still need FDJ, Casemiro helps a lot but there needs to be someone to build the play. Bruno takes too many stupid risks.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
£68m + £17m in addons.

It's a lot of money. Ten Hag will be bringing a lot of pressure on himself to ensure Martinez and himself work out.

That said, we are sorely lacking quality and character. If the manager believes in him enough to spend that sort of money, then I'm confident he'll be a massive improvement on what we have.
So £85m all told? Wow, I understand this guy is a big talent but that's a huge sum of money to be investing in what is essentially a punt. Pogba cost us that much and he was an established star.

If the transfer goes through, the lad will be under immediate pressure due entirely to the dangerously high fee.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That's the beauty of being a wealthy club, in reality we are only one good season away from being at the top of most top players or prospects lists. I think that sometimes we all forget that, it's like a save in FM where you take a struggling and strangely skint United, in real life United, Liverpool, Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid only need one or two decent seasons to be back on track. The fact that we repeatedly failed shouldn't be seen as anything else than abject failure on our part.
Indeed. And to the bolded - That’s why we have to get ourselves back into the CL as quickly as possible and not leave an impression of being on the rocks and undesirable for any longer than absolutely necessary.

GreatDane

Or, he might not. At which point the damage done is much larger than if he was less expensive.

It shouldn't need saying but the money we spend on players impacts the club. Of course it matters.
I get that, but he also might just do that and then it's a fair price. Nothing is certain but if the manager sees him as being worth it then I'm backing our manager.

Thats assuming he lights up the premier league on fire, when he hasn't even done that in the Dutch league. Just cause we spend big money and play him on the right doesn't mean he will solve our problem. We have seen too many signings come at a big price tag and fail.
As above. We have also spend less on gambles that are currently still in the reserves 2 years later. A high price does not give a guarantee no, but neither does a bargain.

Woziak

But we are stuck with them? Best we can get for AWB is 10m. That is essentially 40m in the bin.
But, I guess if people believe that money grow on tress then it is fine.
Until we recruit a top class elite DOF this will continue, our best signing this summer could be getting rid of Murtourgh and getting Paul Mitchell from Monaco, this should have happened after last seasons dismal performance.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So £85m all told? Wow, Pogba cost us that much and he was an established star.

I understand this guy is a big talent but that's a huge sum of money to be investing in what is essentially a punt. If the transfer goes through, the lad will be under immediate pressure due entirely to the dangerously high fee.
Well not if we don't meet the conditions. Add ons may not he paid.

That was a different time. Nunez cost Liverpool 100 million. Teams thay are desperate are paying silly money.

Ted Lasso

Sign him and give him the 7 once Ronaldo moves. Big price tag and the weight of the shirt. I bet he'll thrive based on his jawline.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I get that, but he also might just do that and then it's a fair price. Nothing is certain but if the manager sees him as being worth it then I'm backing our manager.

As above. We have also spend less on gambles that are currently still in the reserves 2 years later. A high price does not give a guarantee no, but neither does a bargain.
Yes buts it's easier to write off a loss if it doesn't work. This is a business at the end of the day. Players are assets. You don't just overpay for players just cause you are desperate and HOPE they come good.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Antony and Sancho nearly 200m Euro worth of attackers.

You'd expect Mane/Salah numbers for 200m lets be honest
Not sure about that. Outside of PSG, which sides have players out wide producing those kind of numbers? And City and their cooked books don’t count.

lex talionis

Punt or no punt, we are desperate. As they say in the movies, desperate times call for desperate measures.

We could bed in Garnacho, Amad and Pellistri and see how well they develop, but there's no indication that that will happen.

edcunited1878

So he's going to cost one Martial and a Dan James. It's an overpay, but it's not that much. People look at those add ons like they are a total given in a 12 month outlay. These are payments made over time.

And if United do decide on letting go Rashford if he doesn't make the grade, i.e. isn't starting as much as he wants, then this deal would look even better, knowing United still need to invest very soon in a CF and another attacking player for depth when Ronaldo leaves and Rashford and Martial potentially leaving within 2 years.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Moan moan moan.

Don't care what he costs. We need new players 2 months ago.

We are already at an all time low.

If he flops then so be it. If he succeeds then there will be ectoplasm all over the match day threads.
maybe start caring when news has just come out that the club are thinking of selling future television revenues Ala Barca to fund your new shiny toy, which will most likely prove to be a flop at this price.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
What? We were planning to use 75m + 10m in addons for FDJ , Casemiro comes for 60m + 10m no?
Still need a FDJ but I can't see it if Antony comes, spending 300m euros in a window would just be nuts.

Even if AWB, Bailly go I can't see how United can cover the costs.

GreatDane

Not going to pretend that I've seen every Ajax match but stats isn't all. It doesn't show how much space he creates for his team or how much he helps otherwise in the attack, pass before the assist ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.