Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

youmeletsfly

Yeah no brainer so why don't the club do whatever it takes in next two weeks to finally make it happen. We could have midfield to rival top two maybe even one of the best in Europe.
It's not up to the club, it's up to ETH.

Maybe ETH thinks Casemiro in and MCT out is enough and maybe he'll give chances to the younger ones.
I don't really think we should go for FDJ now, we need an attacker that badly.

Imagine it's 2022 and we don't have a decent crosser of the ball in the whole team, not even one, especially from the wide areas. Also, our forwards are inverted strikers who like to cut in. Anthony is the exact opposite which would help us a lot.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Liverpool have stability and structure in place which allows them to spend months or years identifying these targets, allowing them to find players like Diaz at a good price. We're scrambling around desperately trying to grab the best players we can at the end of the transfer window. We're unlikely to find bargains.

We just have to suck it up and hope we bring in some quality players able to transform us into top 4 challengers. We can then hopefully get our act together with scouting and data analysis, and find our own Diaz's in future windows
I don't really buy this theory. Even when Klopp was at the start of the rebuild Liverpool were bringing in smart, value signings that had the right work ethic and profile for his style of football. Players like Robertson, Fabinho, Salah, Mane, Wijnaldum and Matip were all shrewd business. That allowed them to spend a bit more on players like Alisson and Van Dijk.

These days they can afford to take their time because the foundations were sensibly put in place in the first few years. They weren't throwing money around like sailors on shore leave hoping something would stick.

Last edited:

croadyman

It's not up to the club, it's up to ETH.

Maybe ETH thinks Casemiro in and MCT out is enough and maybe he'll give chances to the younger ones.
I don't really think we should go for FDJ now, we need an attacker that badly.

Imagine it's 2022 and we don't have a decent crosser of the ball in the whole team, not even one, especially from the wide areas. Also, our forwards are inverted strikers who like to cut in. Anthony is the exact opposite which would help us a lot.
Yeah if he gives chances to the likes of Hannibal & Iqbal then can see sense in this decision

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I feel like we’re damaging our relationship with Ajax for a player that’s good but not worth anything close to the fee.

IhabX7

Don't care about the price, get him signed. We need a player of who can get past people regularly. Could be a game changer for us.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Definitely prefer Gakpo. If we pay €100m for this guy then he’ll go the same way as Pepe. Unless he’s pushing Robben levels he won’t be able to live up to the price tag, there will be 0 patience and he’ll be constantly ridiculed.

Kaizane

I disagree with this. If we sell more and buy smart, we can buy more and buy better. The intrinsic value is continuity. Which is the strategy Madrid and now Liverpool are employing. It's a sustainable strategy and it significantly reduces risk. We can quickly replace players who don't cut it, keeping the team ever ready. Even if Tchouameni bombs Madrid will move him at an appropriate time for €40-€50M and then they can again buy a top talent, because they previously moved Casemiro for €80M. Now look at us. We buy Antony and don't sell Rashford. Rashford walks for free, Antony bombs, but we keep him, or sell him for peanuts. We are €150M down. But now other positions like DM, RB, GK also need replacement. So we are struggling to fill the gaps. While we fill some, others open. But we can't fill them all because we don't have enough cash. We are forced to buy stop-gaps, pay premium for second-raters, or pray that an academy player breaks through, which is a very low chance.

For the amount of money we would spend this summer you could build almost an entire new team. Maybe a whole new team if you sell dross like Rashford, AWB, etc.

But this would require a large overarching club culture and strategy and we are the furthest from it.
You've missed my point entirely

Yes I get it, we are irresponsible financially but even if we were ran like Real Madrid, we are still paying the rate being touted for Anthony regardless - just like they paid 100m for Tchouameni. The fact we can't sell and have no continuity is irrelevant.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
In what world is he worth as low as 40m? Have you actually seen the prices the most average players are going for?

Not a chance you get a talented forward for 40m in such a dry market.

Nottingham forest just signed a midfielder for £42m which most people have never heard or seen play even though he’s from a premier league team.

Antony is known around Europe for being a very talented young forward. He ain’t anywhere near 40m even if ajax were willing to sell.
A world where sterling who is Prem proven (which is worth a heck of a lot even with a year left) goes for £45m. Or Jesus the same.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Is £84m that crazy when Everton are rejecting £45m for Anthony Gordon and Cucurella goes to Chelsea for £62m?
The same people who claim that its expected or they don't care the cost will be the first to slag him off he he doesn't score within the first 3 matches.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
None of them are CL proven though. Antony is capped for Brazil too.
So was Fred.
It is simply a safer option to buy an already established PL player, combined with the cash flow to PL clubs these days means there’s usually a premium cost associated, that was all. Antony is just mental at that price.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don't care about the price, get him signed. We need a player of who can get past people regularly. Could be a game changer for us.
We still have some talented young players capable of doing that, Garnacho for example.

The thing with Antony is, he has got great dribbling skills for sure, but thats about it. He is still rather unproven at top level, and he hasn't really produce any decent end-products at all even in poor Dutch league. So its a big risk based on potential alone.

Of course he could be great in future, and could explode anytime like Vinicius Jnr last season. But he could also be not so great, just like Pepe struggling at Arsenal, or could be same as Sancho who is still struggling with us here, so it could be even harder adaption process for Antony.

If he only cost us 50m, I wouldn't mind to take such risk. But definitely not for 100m, we simply couldn't afford him to fail at that price. For that price I would want to buy a more sure thing who is already proven at top level, someone like Vinicius Jnr, or Foden, or Pedri.

Telsim

You've missed my point entirely

Yes I get it, we are irresponsible financially but even if we were ran like Real Madrid, we are still paying the rate being touted for Anthony regardless - just like they paid 100m for Tchouameni. The fact we can't sell and have no continuity is irrelevant.
I understand your point and I'm saying it's wrong. Buying someone for €100M as you sell someone else for €80M is not the same as buying someone for €100M and not selling anyone. It absolutely is relevant for the reasons I already explained. Madrid can afford Tchouameni to fail. We cannot afford Antony to fail. That's the difference.

BlueDutch

Supports
Chelsea
100 million for Anthony is crazy. Every football fan in the Netherlands is now laughing at United. Even Ajax fans...

Kaizane

I understand your point and I'm saying it's wrong. Buying someone for €100M as you sell someone else for €80M is not the same as buying someone for €100M and not selling anyone. It absolutely is relevant for the reasons I already explained. Madrid can afford Tchouameni to fail. We cannot afford Antony to fail. That's the difference.
Yes but the fact that we can't afford Anthony to fail does not mean he is not a 80-100m player in today's hyperinflated market, therefore, your argument is completely irrelevant.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What's Ajax's RB situation, and how much does this enable Antony to play freely? I fear whilst we have such underwhelming wing-backs, wingers are a bit of a wasted expense

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm just having Depay flashbacks... He looked shit hot too, and was more highly rated if I recall.

Probably an unfair comparison but still. The Eredevise is the Eredevise.

Remad7

Would be a brilliant signing. Is he worth 80-100m? Of course not.

However, he's young, strong, obviously has the tactical nous to play in a Ten Hag team and would be a much needed replacement for Nani we have craved for 9 years!

Honestly I don't think I could take another season of the tumescent dross we serve up down that right side with our current team.

Chief123

A world where sterling who is Prem proven (which is worth a heck of a lot even with a year left) goes for £45m. Or Jesus the same.
You just answered your own question. 1 year left and a player who no longer wants to be at the club. Context my friend.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
100 million for Anthony is crazy. Every football fan in the Netherlands is now laughing at United. Even Ajax fans...
100m for Lukaku, people still are laughing here dont worry ;)

ThanksBoss26

Would be a brilliant signing. Is he worth 80-100m? Of course not.

However, he's young, strong, obviously has the tactical nous to play in a Ten Hag team and would be a much needed replacement for Nani we have craved for 9 years!

Honestly I don't think I could take another season of the tumescent dross we serve up down that right side with our current team.
Fingers crossed we can pair him with a new right back.

Thiagoal

He’s a player with absolutely massive potential and if he can consistently add goals and assists to his great flair and creativity he’ll be world class. United have a great history with great left-footed dribblers and he’s exactly the sort of player we need for the attack!

ThanksBoss26

I've changed my mind more on this than the de Jong transfer this summer. That one's felt dead for weeks in my eyes but I've gone from being convinced we'd sign Antony to vice versa a good few times in this window so far. I'm thinking back on again. No doubt that'll change again soon.

Sancho99

Would be a great addition. We need more unpredictability down that right hand side that's for sure. Not arsed about the fee, we need investment in the team and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.