Antony - Official Manchester United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I'm confused. This guys seems to be a winger, but he plays on the right hand side of the pitch? I wasn't aware that was possible anymore.

Cabby

Genuine top level talent :keano:

Don't much care about the fee, he seems like the type of character who won't let it weigh him down.

Hopefully this gives Rashford and Sancho(to a lesser extent) a much needed kick up the arse as neither will be guaranteed starters anymore.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Here's Antony and Malacia going up against each other, pretty feisty stuff.

With Bruno, Antony and Martinez in our team, the rest of the league are really going to start hating us again. Glad we've got some snidey shi*houses in the team again.

OverratedOpinion

I can't believe we got such a bargain honestly. One of the most exciting young attackers in Europe for less than the winger who scored 3 goals and got 3 assists for City last season and is about to turn 27?!

Waynne

We now have a genuine threat to opposition teams from the right with this guy cutting in on his left and Dalot overlapping

Beware the right :devil:

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Not directed at you directly, but I wish people would bore off with all these stats. How about using the MK1 eyeball and actually seeing the impact he has on games. For example teams may feel the need to double up on him allowing others more space, etc…

Stats can be manipulated to suit an agenda and rarely give the true picture.
This is what Antony will provide a lot. He will keep 2 defenders busy freeing up space. He fits perfectly in Eth’s game. With another quality midfielder and a good striker next summer you guys will be a force.

Im praying that Mazraoui gets little time at Bayern and he wants to join next year. His linkup with Antony is crazy.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Pretty good player but really overpriced IMHO. 50/60 million would have been more appropriate. I hope he does well.

m1tch

I can't believe we got such a bargain honestly. One of the most exciting young attackers in Europe for less than the winger who scored 3 goals and got 3 assists for City last season and is about to turn 27?!
Can't disagree with that!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Not seen much of him at all tbh, but excited from what I've seen on this forum, Ronaldo, Messi, and Ronaldinho rolled into one apparently.

Hal9000

We were told for weeks that de Jong was our target buy!
We end up with yet another overpriced panic buy.
Do we never learn!
Not really a panic buy considering we've been after him since June, it's just Ajax have dug their heels in to a) Anthony pretty much forced a move and b) we paid a silly fee. Plus they play in totally different positions...

VictoriaRed

Genuinely excited for once. We've been craving a player like this since Ronaldo left the first time-direct, pacey, trickery, will get the fans going!

edit: this is only based on the requisite youtube video!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not directed at you directly, but I wish people would bore off with all these stats. How about using the MK1 eyeball and actually seeing the impact he has on games. For example teams may feel the need to double up on him allowing others more space, etc…

Stats can be manipulated to suit an agenda and rarely give the true picture.
What those stats indicate is the difference between a ten Hag approach and the counter attacking reactive approach we have become accustomed to seeing for too long.

Antony is a better dribbler than both Rashford and Sancho imo. He can dribble at speed and has quick dynamic lateral movement in full flow, which makes him a very difficult opponent.

When the game is being controlled both in the offensive and defensive transition, dribbles as well as passing and link up/combination play, will be a big part of what shows up statistically. Antony played in such a approach, and hence why the statistics show him with less dribbles in comparison to Rashford and Sancho. Because the approach was to sacrifice defensive stability for goals by overloading the opponents half with a high volume of players. In that scenario you need to mix it up with both dribbles and passing/combination play.

Sancho and Rashford were involved in a setup where they found themselves isolated on a number of occasions, so trying to dribble their way out of trouble was a requirement and we would turn over possession frequently. And that shows up on the statistics.

But like I always say, it's important to first understand what one is applying the stats towards before jumping to a conclusion. Because statistics are useful, but only if you first have a understanding of different tactical and strategical approaches towards the game. And from my observation on this forum, I feel people look towards the statistics before attempting to understand what they've seen with their own eyes. And then that leads to unnecessary arguments and confusion.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
What those stats indicate is the difference between a ten Hag approach and the counter attacking reactive approach we have become accustomed to seeing for too long.

Antony is a better dribbler than both Rashford and Sancho imo. He can dribble at speed and has quick dynamic lateral movement in full flow, which makes him a very difficult opponent.

When the game is being controlled both in the offensive and defensive transition, dribbles as well as passing and link up/combination play, will be a big part of what shows up statistically. Antony played in such a approach, and hence why the statistics show him with less dribbles in comparison to Rashford and Sancho. Because the approach was to sacrifice defensive stability for goals by overloading the opponents half with a high volume of players. In that scenario you need to mix it up with both dribbles and passing/combination play.

Sancho and Rashford were involved in a setup where they found themselves isolated on a number of occasions, so trying to dribble their way out of trouble was a requirement and we would turn over possession frequently. And that shows up on the statistics.

But like I always say, it's important to first understand what one is applying the stats towards before jumping to a conclusion. Because statistics are useful, but only if you first have a understanding of different tactical and strategical approaches towards the game. And from my observation on this forum, I feel people look towards the statistics before attempting to understand what they've seen with their own eyes. And then that leads to unnecessary arguments and confusion.
Antony isn't a good dribbler either. What he benefited from was having Mazraoui overlapping on the right.

Many counters were ruined because he was reluctant to take on his man on the break because he doesn't have the strength or speed to beat them. Same as Sancho.

Josh 76

Antony isn't a good dribbler either. What he benefited from was having Mazraoui overlapping on the right.

Many counters were ruined because he was reluctant to take on his man on the break because he doesn't have the strength or speed to beat them. Same as Sancho.
Not a great dribbler, no strength, no speed.
This is want 100m buys you ??

Thiagoal

Are we sure he’ll get a work permit? I see that Kluivert has been denied one! Has he played enough games for Brazil?

noelyman

How to say you've hardly watched Antony without actually saying I haven't watched him. Every wide attacker/winger will benefit from having an attacking overlapping team mate. And of course the premier league will be a step up. But saying he isn't a good dribbler is just patently false. It doesn't take a genius footy scout to see that this is one of Antony's skills.

Yagami

Good post resistant
How to say you've hardly watched Antony without actually saying I haven't watched him. Every wide attacker/winger will benefit from having an attacking overlapping team mate. And of course the premier league will be a step up. But saying he isn't a good dribbler is just patently false. It doesn't take a genius footy scout to see that this is one of Antony's skills.
All it takes is watching one game to see he isn't a good dribbler, and I've watched a lot more than one of his.

He's the exact same player as Sancho. Weak, slow, but technical.

AndySmith1990

All it takes is watching one game to see he isn't a good dribbler, and I've watched a lot more than one of his.

He's the exact same player as Sancho. Weak, slow, but technical.
It takes literally watching one video to see he's not weak or slow. Unless you're comparing him to Usain Bolt

sepulturite

Yeh I wouldn't pay much attention to that posters takes to be honest, talks an awful lot of drivel to put it nicely.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It takes literally watching one video to see he's not weak or slow. Unless you're comparing him to Usain Bolt
Highlight videos? I've seen highlight videos make McTominay look like Roy Keane.

Only watching games gives you the right impression of a player.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is there a footballer on this planet good enough for Yagami?
Plenty. We've signed two already.

It seems like people forget that our transfers have largely been awful for over a decade now.

Why? Because we either sign past it stars or weak players.

AndySmith1990

Highlight videos? I've seen highlight videos make McTominay look like Roy Keane.

Only watching games gives you the right impression of a player.
A highlight video shows that he isn't slow or weak. Both attributes are physical, so one highlight proving a player possess such attributes is sufficient to disprove what you are saying

Yagami

Good post resistant
A highlight video shows that he isn't slow or weak. Both attributes are physical, so one highlight proving a player possess such attributes is sufficient to disprove what you are saying
Not really. I said the same for Mkhi, Donny and expressed my concerns over Sancho whilst everyone else was drooling over them and their highlight videos.

If you watch literally his last game, the evidence is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.