Antony - Official Manchester United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewnited

All it takes is watching one game to see he isn't a good dribbler, and I've watched a lot more than one of his.

He's the exact same player as Sancho. Weak, slow, but technical.
He's not slow, I'm not sure where you've got that from. He's also a very good ball carrier and always looks to progress the play with the ball at his feet. I think where he'll struggle is that hia play isn't as 'refined' as videos suggest.

I imagine we'll see a lot of stray passes/layoffs and mishit shots in his first season. Thankfully though, he seems to have the intensity in his play to make things happen, unlike our other forwards.

noelyman

What? That's crazy. I'd have thought he's more likely than Antony.
I think it's about International Appearances. Antony has become a fixture of the current Brazil side whereas Kluivert has only had 2 full caps since 2017.

• The player must have participated in at least 75% of his home country’s senior competitive international matches where he was available for selection during the two years preceding the date of the application

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think it's about International Appearances. Antony has become a fixture of the current Brazil side whereas Kluivert has only had 2 full caps since 2017.

• The player must have participated in at least 75% of his home country’s senior competitive international matches where he was available for selection during the two years preceding the date of the application
Is that the only way they qualify? Send crazy. Surely some of the other PL signings haven't featured much for their national teams.

Jam

Are we sure he’ll get a work permit? I see that Kluivert has been denied one! Has he played enough games for Brazil?
Absurd, how is this country turning down those taxes. How can someone, on that salary, with a guaranteed contract with a reputable employer refused a work permit? The worlds gone mad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There was absolutely no reason for him to do that. Its to show people he can do it.
It's for entertainment. Just look at how many times it's been replayed and clipped. Showboating is not usually the most effective way of doing it, but it's fun to watch.

I'm sure he'll be bringing it out at OT at some stage.

OverratedOpinion

All it takes is watching one game to see he isn't a good dribbler, and I've watched a lot more than one of his.

He's the exact same player as Sancho. Weak, slow, but technical.
Look say what you want about the player, I will accept that you have probably watched more than most of us as I have no reason to doubt you.

You can't tell everything from compilation videos but one point you are absolutely wrong on is calling him slow. He is rapid and you can tell that from watching someone sprint 3 times let alone 50 odd times.

You calling him slow undermines the rest of your points for me slightly. It is like you saying "the world is round, it is hotter in the summer and the sky is bright purple" one is so observably untrue that it undermines other statements that may very well be true.

BarstoolProphet

He's been on loan for 2 years though. Seems short sighted.
Well the entire referendum contributing to rules like that being made seems shortsighted, so not surprised. But anyway, doubt Antony will have the same issues as their situations aren't remotely similar.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
This is what Antony will provide a lot. He will keep 2 defenders busy freeing up space. He fits perfectly in Eth’s game. With another quality midfielder and a good striker next summer you guys will be a force.

Im praying that Mazraoui gets little time at Bayern and he wants to join next year. His linkup with Antony is crazy.
Thank you

pocco

loco
Absurd, how is this country turning down those taxes. How can someone, on that salary, with a guaranteed contract with a reputable employer refused a work permit? The worlds gone mad.
It's insane isn't it. Yet I bet you'll see people gain entry with "less to give back" (hate phrasing it like that but you know what I mean) which I thought was the whole spirit of the visa situation. Not saying I agree or disagree with any of this or our policy, but it seems a bit backwards. I mean, they'll see the guy working every week on TV :lol:

pocco

loco
Well the entire referendum contributing to rules like that being made seems shortsighted, so not surprised. But anyway, doubt Antony will have the same issues as their situations aren't remotely similar.
I'm not arguing, I just think it's crazy. I mean, Malacia has only played 5 times for Netherlands Vs Kluiverts 2. Seems such a flawed way of deciding for a footballer. Injuries, increased competition in certain positions etc will all contribute. Are they so stringent with non-football immigrants? How do they decide for them? Amount of sick leave over 2 years?

Wezzaldo

What those stats indicate is the difference between a ten Hag approach and the counter attacking reactive approach we have become accustomed to seeing for too long.

Antony is a better dribbler than both Rashford and Sancho imo. He can dribble at speed and has quick dynamic lateral movement in full flow, which makes him a very difficult opponent.

When the game is being controlled both in the offensive and defensive transition, dribbles as well as passing and link up/combination play, will be a big part of what shows up statistically. Antony played in such a approach, and hence why the statistics show him with less dribbles in comparison to Rashford and Sancho. Because the approach was to sacrifice defensive stability for goals by overloading the opponents half with a high volume of players. In that scenario you need to mix it up with both dribbles and passing/combination play.

Sancho and Rashford were involved in a setup where they found themselves isolated on a number of occasions, so trying to dribble their way out of trouble was a requirement and we would turn over possession frequently. And that shows up on the statistics.

But like I always say, it's important to first understand what one is applying the stats towards before jumping to a conclusion. Because statistics are useful, but only if you first have a understanding of different tactical and strategical approaches towards the game. And from my observation on this forum, I feel people look towards the statistics before attempting to understand what they've seen with their own eyes. And then that leads to unnecessary arguments and confusion.
Haha you explained what I was trying to say in a far more articulate way

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Antony isn't a good dribbler either. What he benefited from was having Mazraoui overlapping on the right.

Many counters were ruined because he was reluctant to take on his man on the break because he doesn't have the strength or speed to beat them. Same as Sancho.
Not a great dribbler, no strength, no speed.
This is want 100m buys you ??
A busted flush for £80M?

At the rate the Caf narrative is going, Antony can barely chew gum and walk at the same time same time. I am surprised ETH cant see all that despite having spent 2 seasons training and playing him.

TheReligion

Abusive
A busted flush for £80M?

At the rate the Caf narrative is going, Antony can barely chew gum and walk at the same time same time. I am surprised ETH cant see all that despite having spent 2 seasons training and playing him.
Not a great dribbler?

What the feck are they on about

cyberman

A busted flush for £80M?

The most hyped this forum was for Antony was when it looked like we wouldn’t sign him and he played well in that Ajax game a few weeks back.
It’s fecking strange

Idxomer

Antony is a good dribbler but not a great one, he can't dribble anywhere as good as Saint-Maximin for example. @Yagami is right in saying he's more of a link-up player like Sancho but I think he's a bit quicker and more dynamic than him. He's not as good a passer which is maybe because he's slightly riskier in his passes.

So, yes people expecting a player who will just own the right wing will be disappointed. He'll need help, especially from Dalot and Bruno.

arthurka

I find him a bit boring, he just looks a budget Neymar.
Just joking, crazy fee but I am looking forward seeing him dribble on the right.

Dembeza

Antony is a good dribbler but not a great one, he can't dribble anywhere as good as Saint-Maximin for example. @Yagami is right in saying he's more of a link-up player like Sancho but I think he's a bit quicker and more dynamic than him. He's not as good a passer which is maybe because he's slightly riskier in his passes.

So, yes people expecting a player who will just own the right wing will be disappointed. He'll need help, especially from Dalot and Bruno.
Which winger doesn’t need help from the fullbacks?

Antony was successful in a Ten Hag team, if he replicates what he did at Ajax here then he will be fine.

Dembeza

I find him a bit boring, he just looks a budget Neymar.
Just joking, crazy fee but I am looking forward seeing him dribble on the right.
Dribble? He is poor man’s Saint Maximin and he can’t do anything without the help of Dalot and Bruno.

Don’t get your hopes up.

Idxomer

Which winger doesn’t need help from the fullbacks?

Antony was successful in a Ten Hag team, if he replicates what he did at Ajax here then he will be fine.
Some wingers need more help than others and Antony falls into that category.

I think he will be fine too and I'm excited to see a natural winger on the right again.

Jcrossley94

I'm not arguing, I just think it's crazy. I mean, Malacia has only played 5 times for Netherlands Vs Kluiverts 2. Seems such a flawed way of deciding for a footballer. Injuries, increased competition in certain positions etc will all contribute. Are they so stringent with non-football immigrants? How do they decide for them? Amount of sick leave over 2 years?
Does it not make a difference that Malacia is an EU National?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

So you are saying we bought the wrong player? Shit

Ish

Lights on for Luke
People are talking about his dribbling quite a lot, and whilst I don't want to bring negativity to the thread, I did a bit of research on the dribbling stats of our current wingers.

According to whoscored.com, a dribble (Successful Dribble) - Taking on an opponent and successfully making it past them whilst retaining the ball.

With that in mind, I looked at the dribbling stats from the 20/21 season and found the following:

Marcus Rashford - 20/21

Total Dribbles (per game) : 4.4
Unsuccessful: 2.2
Successful: 2.2

Jadon Sancho - 20/21

Total Dribbles (per game) : 5.3
Unsuccessful: 2.3
Successful: 3

Antony - 20/21

Total Dribbles (per game) : 3.3
Unsuccessful: 1.4
Successful: 1.8

Based on that, it's clear that he doesn't dribble as much some expected, and Jadon Sancho, who has been criticized on here for his lack of dribbling or directness, clearly excelled in this area when at Dortmund. For that reason, we need to realise that Antony isn't going to come in and beat 3 or 4 players. That said, it's clear he has quite a good skillset and hopefully he can bring that to the team.
I watched the below video @Raees posted and at 1min27s it has Antony at 7.55 dribbles per 90. Not sure how that data source compares to yours though, but it matches Antony pretty favourably against some of the best dribblers/wide players in the game (currently). See below.

A breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses and a cheeky discussion of how he would fit in at United!

Status
Not open for further replies.