Antony: why the concern - use the player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedorDead21

The owners are a lot of things but tight isn't one of them, there's a reason why we are one of the biggest spenders in the PL along with one of the highest wage bills
Hmmm. We were in with a chance of a title this year and we got in some loan deals. That’s pretty tight.

Telsim

Unless I’m wrong
Raphina has 5 goals
Antony has 5 goals

Raphina has 3 more assists

and he plays in a shite league
Antony has 6 goals and 1 assist this season. Raphinha has 7 goals and 9 assists this season. He also had 17 goals and 12 assists in 60-something games with Leeds, who were absolutely horrendous, so it's not like he doesn't know the Premier League. And he is starting ahead of Antony in the NT. Just a superior player overall, but for far less money. I didn't rate him that much before, but I started to change my mind after having to watch Antony.

But that ship sailed anyway. Hopefully, Amad comes good next season.

simplyared

I'm looking at what we're getting on the other side of the pitch with Garnacho and looking at what the young lad is already achieving. The comparison just feels night and day.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Antony isn't worth his price tag, but he makes our team better so I'm glad to have him.

Reactions: 711

El-Manos

He's had some good games for us but his limitations are highly frustrating. I am just hoping this is not his ceiling because we massively overpaid if that's the case.

Jury still out for him but i'm sure he can improve.

He'll come good. It's just bad form and adjusting to the league. No concerns.

Zen86

He seems fairly solid but very unspectacular.

Certainly hasn’t exhibited the kind of qualities you would expect of someone with his price tag. It doesn’t even seem like it’s a bedding in issue either, he just doesn’t look like he has much in his locker besides the curled shot from the inside. He doesn’t strike me as particularly high potential.

pogbasformerbarber

I don't know why people here "worry" about a players price and constantly compare them the price. Very few players can ever justify their price when they have significant contract left at a club. It's the club that spends on him and Antony has actually been good. Maybe not "worth" the fee today in terms of price v. production...but the reason he was so expensive is that we will have him for multiple seasons. So making any final conclusions on him now is just folly.

At worst, he's a little too reliant on his left foot and needs to work a bit on his passing. Otherwise he's been very good IMHO. He's miles away from a bust. I just dont get the hate...hes hardly a problem and certainly has won a few games for us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully by the start of next season he is able to get a yard ahead of defenders otherwise he’ll remain a good player but not special.

Davie Moyes

I think a lot of it also comes from understanding the winger’s role in ETHs system. Especially when we have a LW that is more of a forward.

ETHs goal is to get the team really high up the pitch, more or less only stay back with three players, which forced the opponents to defend with 7-8 players. From there you play a really high defense and you have every chance to win back possession directly after you have lost the ball.

To get there, it’s essential to have a winger that can lick the line, take a pass despite being pressured, and maintain possession high up pitch while the rest of the team moves up. I can guarantee that ETH don’t mind Antony getting a pass high up on the right side, showboat a bit, then turn out against the side line and pass to a CM.

Antony is really strong on the ball in those situations. They have different styles, but that is what Bernado Silva does for City.

In addition, the winger are the most dangerous in 1 on 1 situation in more counter attack style of situations, in more up and down the pitch style of play.

I 100% agree with the notion that there are room for improvement in Antony’s game. But a lot of the things he does — that he is called out for — is more or less by design. ETH will always prefer a winger who maintains possession of the ball and gets the team up field over a winger who lose possession 9 of 10 times, to get by his guy and get a shot off the 10th time.
How the hell did I miss this post the last time? Quality stuff. Love reading this level of insight on the Caf - instead of all the negativity and criticism of players.

Malkovich

I'm looking at what we're getting on the other side of the pitch with Garnacho and looking at what the young lad is already achieving. The comparison just feels night and day.
Antony has been outperforming Garnacho to me.

Irishman

Criticism way over the top imo.

Antony not good enough, Casimiro is too old and is only here for the money, Martinez is too small and slow........the state of some of you!

I trust Tim Hag. He clearly knows what he is doing.

acnumber9

Antony not good enough, Casimiro is too old and is only here for the money, Martinez is too small and slow........the state of some of you!

Who is actually saying those things about Casemiro or Martinez with the benefit of watching them play?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Antony has 6 goals and 1 assist this season. Raphinha has 7 goals and 9 assists this season. He also had 17 goals and 12 assists in 60-something games with Leeds, who were absolutely horrendous, so it's not like he doesn't know the Premier League. And he is starting ahead of Antony in the NT. Just a superior player overall, but for far less money. I didn't rate him that much before, but I started to change my mind after having to watch Antony.

This fan base can be pathetic on times.

Yet when they matched up last week, Antony looked miles better, scored a beauty and went home the winner. But but… #stats

dasty

This time last year, the popular consensus here is that Bruno is a turnover machine that will never be good enough for a top team, Rashford is completely washed and should be sold, De Gea is the worst keeper in the whole top 5 league, Shaw only had 1 good season in his whole career and should be binned, Varane is an overpaid crock that is an absolute waste of money, AWB is not even Championship level, Dalot is hot garbage that should play in non-league football, Fred is a hardworking but useless midfielder, Ronaldo is the best player in the team etc.

During the summer transfer window, Casemiro was branded as a past-it player that is only here for a big payday, Malacia is just some random Dutch fullback that ETH signed only because of his nationality, and Martinez is a midget that will never be tall enough for the super physical PL.

So yeah, if this forum is now doubting Antony I am pretty sure he will turn out alright.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Antony isn't worth his price tag, but he makes our team better so I'm glad to have him.
The truth of the matter.

It's tempting to compare to Garnacho, who is a much more traditionally exciting winger, but it does no good really.
Why not enjoy the fact we have Sancho, Garnacho and Antony to call on?

JagUTD

Antony playing regularly - He's not very good is he?

Antony out for a while - can't wait for Antony to come back into the team

Antony back in the team - He's not very good is he?

Football fans. A special breed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Yep. Tim's doing a great job so far.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Antony playing regularly - He's not very good is he?

Antony out for a while - can't wait for Antony to come back into the team

Antony back in the team - He's not very good is he?

Football fans. A special breed.
Antony is one of those players you don't appreciate the actual job he's doing as he's not the high impact sort of player Garnacho is.
But when he's not there you realise we don't have anyone who can keep possession, keep the shape, and still cut in with a few screamers from the right.

20 years ago, left wingers were nearly impossible to find. Now it's right sided wingers!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
There’s definitely limitations to his overall game, including being quite predictable but I think he’s still an asset. He draws defenders providing good balance on the right. When you combine that with the fact he’s scored several brilliant goals, including in big games, I think he’s done well in his first season. £80m price tag will always take major justification though and he’s clearly not that level yet.

fanutd

His close control under pressure and in tight spaces is spectacular so far and bodes really well for press resistance. Unfortunately he doesn't seem the type of winger who is blessed with Rashford/Sterling like pace but he appears faster than Sancho (this isn't a criticism of Sancho). I already appreciate all that he brings to the team but next step up for me would be cutting inside and curling shots in the top/bottom left corner ala Robben :drool:

UDontMessWith24

No concern regarding a 20 year old player in his first season in the PL is valid. Invalid understanding of player development is what we have here.

UDontMessWith24

So a side by side comparison with no context and ignoring the variables is the conclusion you’ve arrived at?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Raphinha has Lewandowski to provide the assists to. Not to mention Antony is 23, Raphinha is 26.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
His close control under pressure and in tight spaces is spectacular so far and bodes really well for press resistance. Unfortunately he doesn't seem the type of winger who is blessed with Rashford/Sterling like pace but he appears faster than Sancho (this isn't a criticism of Sancho). I already appreciate all that he brings to the team but next step up for me would be cutting inside and curling shots in the top/bottom left corner ala Robben :drool:
In a straight line, Antony is lightning quick, he would push Rashford close in a race. It's just that Rashford is more direct with his style with and without the ball.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His transfer fee and position makes him far more scrutinised. I was frustrated yesterday and do get frustrated at times but he brings way more than we think. Really like him and glad he is with us and not any other side.

glasgow 21

So a side by side comparison with no context and ignoring the variables is the conclusion you’ve arrived at?
100% but that aint stopping the Antony haters from rounding up the wagons yet again. I wonder why some of them even bother, he is Ten Hag's pick and to even go there at this stage of his career is utter nonsense. Incidentally those all raving about Raphinha, well in the Brazil v Croatia game Raphinha was V poor and Antony was a step up and if they went through he had played himself into a starting spot. This is the most positive era of United for years can we possibly wait till at least the end of season before taking players and burning them at stake and new ones at that. I believe a few poor games from Licha and this forum will be full of "I told you so he is too small for the premier league."

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Having a look at some of his advanced stats and it looks really bad at the moment. The only way is up

Someone

Something
Still think he isn't as impactful as he should be. He works hard, but so did Daniel James. He also has a goal in him, but he fails at 2 essential things for his role:
  1. He can't take on players at all, extremely predictable and defenders know now that his right foot isn't an option
  2. His delivery isn't that good
Compare that to Garnacho, who at times can have poor decision making, but also can be a menace. We need Antony to have that fear factor too. The skills are there, but he needs to know use them. I'm hopeful but worried.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Don't agree

He works hard down the flank, tracks back, makes loads of interceptions, fights for the team and tackles and scores important goals.

it's no wonder ETH likes him. People just expect a Brazilian attacker to be a different mould of player

Absolutely he has working points - strength, right foot, decision making in the final third and fitness. But they're all things that will be highlighted and will be worked on ahead of next season. there's no major concerns and he's not a "poor purchase"
You're entitled to not agree.

The facts are 1 assist in all competitions by March is nowhere near good enough. And for 85m+ that's absolutely ridiculous.

He isn't a terrible footballer by any means but he's not been a success so far. Far from it. He's incredibly lucky the team is playing much better as last season he'd have been absolutely destroyed for these performances like Rashy was.

He'll never be as good as Rashford though for me. I see improvements coming from him but I really don't see a special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.