Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Kapardin

A good recommendation for an Anime for a person that has never watched Anime in his life?
Do you like deep psychological stuff like Nietzschean themes with Gothic horror mixed? Would say start with Shiki.

Shiki is an amazing series, even some who don't like Anime dig it. And it is only 26 episodes with no second season, so shouldn't take much of your time. Starts slow, but turns into something truly dark and magnificent by the 5th or 6th episode. Some violence at the end too, and the soundtrack is incredible.

Another one would be Madoka Magica, a dark deconstruction of the magical girls genre. Think of it as a Brightburn equivalent. I dig psychological anime in general, so my recommendations are fixated on such themes.

Andersons Dietician

Wow, would have said Swamp thing as the pilot was great but as some are saying it’s been cancelled due to a budget error. Supposedly in North Carolina there is a film budget where you can get grants to film your series. However there was a mistake in the books and it turned out there wasn’t the funding for SwampThing.

Suv666

Just started HBO's The Leftovers. Is it any good? Watched the first four eps and felt it was meh, does it get any better or is that it?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just started HBO's The Leftovers. Is it any good? Watched the first four eps and felt it was meh, does it get any better or is that it?
It’s top tier. Stick with it.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Really? The reviews of the first seasom were luke warm while the latter ones are very highly rated?
For me it was the best. Although one doesn't even know what the feck is going on, I enjoyed it being more darker and sinister. Good music, etc. Later seasons are just silly.

The only thing that remained high level through the whole show was the acting, but story-wise, writing...

ps. just realized it's the same writer of Lost... now that makes a lot of sense. Avoid of you value your time and mental health.

Last edited:

wr8_utd

:'(
Finished both seasons of Barry and wow, what a show. Episode 5 and 8 were incredible.

Sanche7

Wow, would have said Swamp thing as the pilot was great but as some are saying it’s been cancelled due to a budget error. Supposedly in North Carolina there is a film budget where you can get grants to film your series. However there was a mistake in the books and it turned out there wasn’t the funding for SwampThing.
It's a crying shame. Even the second episode was really good. Does anyone know where in NC it's shot? The location is absolutely fantastic and adds so much to the show, it's almost like a character in the show

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
For me it was the best. Although one doesn't even know what the feck is going on, I enjoyed it being more darker and sinister. Good music, etc. Later seasons are just silly.

The only thing that remained high level through the whole show was the acting, but story-wise, writing...

ps. just realized it's the same writer of Lost... now that makes a lot of sense. Avoid of you value your time and mental health.
Don't listen to this guy.

Leftovers seasons two and three are masterpieces.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Been watching the first Hannibal series. Like it so far.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I watched Avatar for the first time yesterday, on Netflix. Pocahontas with 3m high blue guys, but that shit was made to be put on oled tvs :D

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It's a crying shame. Even the second episode was really good. Does anyone know where in NC it's shot? The location is absolutely fantastic and adds so much to the show, it's almost like a character in the show
Wait what? There's a second episode? I thought it was literally cancelled after just the pilot and that was it. So we're at least getting a full season?

Sanche7

Wait what? There's a second episode? I thought it was literally cancelled after just the pilot and that was it. So we're at least getting a full season?
No there will be 10 episodes, it was supposed to be 13, then it was cut short to 10 and then 6 days after the pilot, it was canceled

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
No there will be 10 episodes, it was supposed to be 13, then it was cut short to 10 and then 6 days after the pilot, it was canceled
Hmmm so does that mean it will have a conclusion or won't? I don't really get how US shows work. Kind of like construction companies by the sounds of it.

Sanche7

Hmmm so does that mean it will have a conclusion or won't? I don't really get how US shows work. Kind of like construction companies by the sounds of it.
They had to put together an ending for season 1, I have no idea how good it will be, but I don't think the entire story will be told in one season.

LARulz

I finished watching Suburra (Italian gang show) while I waited for the new season of Gomorrah.

Any other shows similar? Don't care what country or language but something that has a "realness" to it and isn't insanely over the top. Like a glimpse into the criminal world with engaging characters

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I finished watching Suburra (Italian gang show) while I waited for the new season of Gomorrah.

Any other shows similar? Don't care what country or language but something that has a "realness" to it and isn't insanely over the top. Like a glimpse into the criminal world with engaging characters
Take it you've seen The Wire?

pauldyson1uk

Yes I did the whole season on one go.
Spent most of the time watching open mouthed , it was just a monumental catalogue of errors , before , during and after.
The fire fighters who first went, just went to their death not knowing what was on fire.
There was some well placed bits of humor, the scenes , where you see the fire fighters bodies basically melted away was horrific.
If you have not seen it, them you should, it is a must watch.

LARulz

Take it you've seen The Wire?
Yep and The Sopranos, Oz, Boardwalk, Peaky Blinders, Sneaky Pete, Breaking Bad, Saul, Sons of Anarchy.

A few others too but a show of that nature/topic. Like I said, I'm more than satisfied if it's an international one too but just want it to be good

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Yep and The Sopranos, Oz, Boardwalk, Peaky Blinders, Sneaky Pete, Breaking Bad, Saul, Sons of Anarchy.

A few others too but a show of that nature/topic. Like I said, I'm more than satisfied if it's an international one too but just want it to be good
Do yourself a favour and watch Chernobyl.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Just finished Hannibal season one. I've gone from thinking it's a load of nonsense featuring Lecter doing impersonations of Christopher Walken, Bryan Ferry and Brett Anderson while Jack Crawford increasingly dresses like Eddie Hitler to...being really gripped by the show and lead characters. Being rather slow, it took me ages to accept that it would - and should - differ from the books and films but now I'd actually recommend the series.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Just finished Hannibal season one. I've gone from thinking it's a load of nonsense featuring Lecter doing impersonations of Christopher Walken, Bryan Ferry and Brett Anderson while Jack Crawford increasingly dresses like Eddie Hitler to...being really gripped by the show and lead characters. Being rather slow, it took me ages to accept that it would - and should - differ from the books and films but now I'd actually recommend the series.
Keep watching Steve. Season two is far better than season one. Season three becomes a bit too self indulgent (typical Bryan Fuller) but is still great.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Keep watching Steve. Season two is far better than season one. Season three becomes a bit too self indulgent (typical Bryan Fuller) but is still great.
Yeah I'd agree with that. I'd only add that the third season is only really like that for the first 3 episodes or so (to the point I thought they'd completely fecked it) but then it gets back on track and becomes fecking brilliant again.

Keefy18

Finished The Big C last night, binged on it the last fortnight or so and I'd honestly put it in my top 10 I think.

Linney is incredible throughout, a very heart warming and bubbly portrayal by her. Supporting cast is fantastic as well with Oliver Platt, Gabriel Basso and Gabourey Sidibe. Her brother Sean played by John Benjamin Hickey is a fantastic character, very quirky and I could personally relate to much of his dialogue.

There are guest appearances from Idris Elba, Susan Sarandon, Cynthia Nixon & Liam Neeson!

It's a tear jerker and by the end it reminded me a bit of Ricky Gervais recent Netflix success of After Life.

Sanche7

Started watching this BBC series Years And Years. It’s basically black mirror plus some family drama but with less emphasis on technology. The series moves forward in time, trying to represent what the future might hold. I’ve seen three episodes and in those three episodes - Trump gets re elected and Pence after that, Angela Merkel dies, a Nuke missile is launched, banking system collapses, transhuman becomes a thing, Russia invades Ukraine, the world becomes more right wing and much more.
It’s pretty fascinating and terrifying watch at times. Highly recommended

Trailer -

IMDB Link -
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8694364/