Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Started watching this BBC series Years And Years. It’s basically black mirror plus some family drama but with less emphasis on technology. The series moves forward in time, trying to represent what the future might hold. I’ve seen three episodes and in those three episodes - Trump gets re elected and Pence after that, Angela Merkel dies, a Nuke missile is launched, banking system collapses, transhuman becomes a thing, Russia invades Ukraine, the world becomes more right wing and much more.
It’s pretty fascinating and terrifying watch at times. Highly recommended
Interesting. I thought that it was extremely poorly made. I have issues even with some Black Mirror episodes because of that, but this is a plain, boring and predictable propaganda that leaves no space for the viewer's mind to explore. A good show is supposed to make you ask questions, not to give you answers in such a blatant manner. Rant over :)

harms

Staff
For some reason I didn't expect much from the Catch-22... luckily I gave it a shot anyway. I'm on the fifth episode out of six currently. There is a wonderful balance between the absurd humour and everyday's horrors of was time, reminded me of Evelyn Waugh. The lead role is perfectly cast, the likes of George Clooney, Hugh Laurie and Kyle Chandler star in supporting roles.

Sanche7

Interesting. I thought that it was extremely poorly made. I have issues even with some Black Mirror episodes because of that, but this is a plain, boring and predictable propaganda that leaves no space for the viewer's mind to explore. A good show is supposed to make you ask questions, not to give you answers in such a blatant manner. Rant over :)
Well the thing is I felt I could relate to some of it, like how they say the news used to be boring but now we are scared to watch the news because there is so much shite going on. Even here, we have started putting dates on mass shooting threads because it seems like there's one almost every day.

Also I feel the things they show on the show, can happen and will probably happen pretty soon. Like, I kind of knew deep in my mind that all the things they show could happen but to see them happen, it really scared me.
Also some scenes like the nuke launch at the end of episode 1 and the banking system collapse scene in episode 2/3 were very well shot. It's far from perfect but for me it felt like seeing my worst nightmares come to life

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
For some reason I didn't expect much from the Catch-22... luckily I gave it a shot anyway. I'm on the fifth episode out of six currently. There is a wonderful balance between the absurd humour and everyday's horrors of was time, reminded me of Evelyn Waugh. The lead role is perfectly cast, the likes of George Clooney, Hugh Laurie and Kyle Chandler star in supporting roles.
I love the book and am therefore very unsure whether I should watch it or not, plus it's not part of my subscriptions (Netflix, Prime).

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Started watching this BBC series Years And Years. It’s basically black mirror plus some family drama but with less emphasis on technology. The series moves forward in time, trying to represent what the future might hold. I’ve seen three episodes and in those three episodes - Trump gets re elected and Pence after that, Angela Merkel dies, a Nuke missile is launched, banking system collapses, transhuman becomes a thing, Russia invades Ukraine, the world becomes more right wing and much more.
It’s pretty fascinating and terrifying watch at times. Highly recommended

Trailer -

IMDB Link -
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8694364/
we've been watching this.

some of the stuff is pretty dark, but also totally possible

harms

Staff
I love the book and am therefore very unsure whether I should watch it or not, plus it's not part of my subscriptions (Netflix, Prime).
Haven't read the book but I'm definitely going to now. Based on reviews it understandably doesn't hit the heights of the book, but is still well-worth the watch.

Catch-22, again, isn't perfect, because Heller's book is far too prickly and paradoxical for an easy interpretation. But it's almost always faithful to what Heller wanted to communicate and-in its finest scenes-transcendent.
It's almost impossible to do a perfect TV version of [Joseph] Heller's prose, but this six-part miniseries admirably tries, delivering moments both haunting and funny.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Haven't read the book but I'm definitely going to now. Based on reviews it understandably doesn't hit the heights of the book, but is still well-worth the watch.
Does it have Clevinger's trial?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Anyone caught the first episode of Euphoria on HBO? It's a sort of teen drama done HBO style i.e. insane amounts of tits, dicks, and overall controversial scenes. Basically it's a show for adults that I guess is designed to show us how shitty life can be for teenagers in modern America, or something. First episode was decent and it has potential.

There's also a truly wonderful moment akin to Alexandra Daddario in True Detective, 's all I'm sayin'.

Sanche7

Anyone caught the first episode of Euphoria on HBO? It's a sort of teen drama done HBO style i.e. insane amounts of tits, dicks, and overall controversial scenes. Basically it's a show for adults that I guess is designed to show us how shitty life can be for teenagers in modern America, or something. First episode was decent and it has potential.

There's also a truly wonderful moment akin to Alexandra Daddario in True Detective, 's all I'm sayin'.
Poor reviews kept me from watching this show, but now, in the light of these new revelations, think I'll give it a go.
Also Zendaya is just :drool:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Poor reviews kept me from watching this show, but now, in the light of these new revelations, think I'll give it a go.
Also Zendaya is just :drool:
it's the sort of show that you watch and think it's a bit shit and all over the place but worth sticking with, plus it's HBO.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Perpetual Grace is outstanding so far. Ben Kingsley has quite a good role

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I had no idea they'd made a TV show of this! One of my favourite books, and excited to see what they've done with the show.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Anyone still watching Swamp Thing even though it is cancelled? I am saving up the whole season and would like to know if the quality of the first ep carries on?

Sanche7

Anyone still watching Swamp Thing even though it is cancelled? I am saving up the whole season and would like to know if the quality of the first ep carries on?
First and second were really good, third was OK, will be interesting to see where the story goes from here

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Of all the rumours circulating on why it got canceled so early, quality of the show is not among the half-dozen cited.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Has anyone seen this yet? Reviews are mixed, some rave about how great the visuals are, others complain that it's too slow. Still going to check it out, it has a True Detective feel to it.

deafepl

Watched Euphoria trailer, it looks so great, so tempting but I think I'll be waiting for the season to finish so I can binge it :(

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm watching Criminal Minds & liking it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Thanks a bunch for the spoiler warning, Saffy!
*cries*

Art Vandelay

I started watching Supernatural. I'm at the end of the first series and it's pretty good.

The Outpost on SyFy(I hate that spelling) is a decent if very low budget fantasy show, series 2 starting in a couple of weeks. Although it does contain one of the worst actors I've ever seen and the swords are often clearly rubber, it's strangely watchable.

Andersons Dietician

I started watching Supernatural. I'm at the end of the first series and it's pretty good.

The Outpost on SyFy(I hate that spelling) is a decent if very low budget fantasy show, series 2 starting in a couple of weeks. Although it does contain one of the worst actors I've ever seen and the swords are often clearly rubber, it's strangely watchable.
You know I’ve recently watched these 2 or started. I found Supernatural hard to get in to but by about the 4th season it was much better. Taken a break from it at the moment but think I’m in the 6th season, it’s alright and Outcast is kinda like B-movie good. Worst actor could be a few which one you thinking of? The beer dude or the shiny knight guy? 2nd series starts soon.

Andersons Dietician

Has anyone watched or heard of Euphoria? It’s HBO’s new show.

Just watched the pilot and damn it was good. It’s Zendaya (the greatest showman, Spider-Man) but she is basically a 17yr old just out of rehab and going back home and slipping straight back in to the life. Maude Apatow is in it as well who is Judd Apatow and Leslie Mann’s daughter.

It’s maybe a darker version of Skins, or if anyone has seen the movie Kids from 1995 it seems quite similar in tone to that. I read people are outraged by some of the content in it already and been complaining but I’ve just started the 2nd episode and holy hell :houllier:

Edit: I want to remove the bit about being like Skins, watched the 2nd episode and Skins is Disney World compared to this.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

You know I’ve recently watched these 2 or started. I found Supernatural hard to get in to but by about the 4th season it was much better. Taken a break from it at the moment but think I’m in the 6th season, it’s alright and Outcast is kinda like B-movie good. Worst actor could be a few which one you thinking of? The beer dude or the shiny knight guy? 2nd series starts soon.
I saw a few of the later series episodes of Supernatural a few years ago and I'm finding these earlier ones much better. I like the monster of the week format.

Beer guy. Jesus Christ what is that man doing with all the mincing about and cringing? It's so distracting and creepy.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
What We Do In The Shadows. A documentary about a family of Vampires living in Staten Island. Very funny on FX

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Is Supernatural still going? I think I got sick of it towards the end of season 2.

Art Vandelay

Is Supernatural still going? I think I got sick of it towards the end of season 2.
Yeah I think they are on like season 15 or something. I'm still quite enjoying it at the minute, although I'm not invested in their family drama I just enjoy the hunting of the weekly monster.