Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
My wife loved it, has to be best final episode of a show ever. Final scene had us both smiling because, well, you just know what was going to happen to the blokes in the cab.
Great show. Great final episode so i reckon you should put your post in a spoiler.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Updated my list. Any recommendations that aren't here?

I have already seen:

The Wire
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The West Wing
The Witcher
Always Sunny
Succession
Bob's Burgers
Attack on Titan
Yellowjackets
Solar Opposites
How To With John Wilson
Big Mouth
Arcane
Stath Lets Flats
Taskmaster
What We Do In The Shadows
Last Week Tonight
Ted Lasso
Only Murders In The Building
Squid Game
Rick & Morty
The Leftovers
The Rehearsal
Inside No. 9
I Think You Should Leave
Mandalorian
Eric Andre Show
The Boys
Ozark
Stranger Things
Barry
Atlanta
After Life
Dexter
Station Eleven
Portlandia
Explained
Sharp Objects
B99
Mr Inbetween
Mare of Easttown
Time
It's A Sin
Cosmos
Six Feet Under
Master of None
Schitt's Creek
It's A Sin
Queen's Gambit
Death Note
The Office (both versions)
Legend of Korra
The Pacific
Dark
The Last Dance
Parks & Rec
This Country
Devs
Watchmen
Bojack
The Good Place
Silicon Valley
The End of The fecking World
Review
Mindhunter
The Thick Of It
Black Mirror
Chernobyl
Happy
Game of Thrones
Veep
Fleabag
Band of Brothers
Narcos
American Vandal
The Simpsons
Black Books
Arrested Development
House
Lost
Futurama
Prison Break
Scrubs
The Night Of
Workaholics
Hannibal
Peep Show
Nathan For You
Sherlock
Community
Flight of the Conchords
Chuck
South Park
Misfits
Oz
Archer
Welcome To Wrexham
The Bear
House of The Dragon
LOTR: Rings Of Power

I've seen some but stopped watching:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Gomorrah
House of Cards
Demon Slayer
You
True Detective
Dahmer
Westworld
Suits
Mr Robot
Boardwalk Empire
Fargo
Better Call Saul
Walking Dead
Mr Mercedes
Modern Family
The Americans
The Sinner
Money Heist
Fullmetal Alchemist

Not really interested in:

Mad Men
Yellowstone
The Shield
Billions
Goliath
Star Trek
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
The Expanse
Marvel stuff
Dopesick
Boba Fett
Andor
Bosch
Black Sails
Power
The Morning Show
Wheel Of Time
Cobra Kai
Medical shows
Cowboy shows
Most of the shows set in eras I don't care about like Vikings, Rome, etc..
You gave up on Curb? Ban yourself. Not but really, you didn't like it? One of my favourite shows for sure.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You gave up on Curb? Ban yourself. Not but really, you didn't like it? One of my favourite shows for sure.
Found it too contrived. I felt there was a way to do the shtick of the show more organically.

Some of the coincidences needed for the plot to advance were just silly, but that's just the way I saw it.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Just finished bad sisters on Apple TV. It was excellent

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Stopped watching the best show ever, Sol? Better Call Saul?! Nutter.
Sorry that’s not updated either. I did stop right back when S1 was out but binged it all last month and thought it was great.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My wife loved it, has to be best final episode of a show ever. Final scene had us both smiling because,
well, you just know what was going to happen to the blokes in the cab.
The sequence of
Ray smiling knowingly at his passengers, breaking the 4th wall with grin intact then cutting to the music - RUN
was brilliant.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
If you're looking for finance and sales in particular I wouldn't suggest Severance or Empire. Severance is speculative fiction on generic corporate culture with a sci-fi premise and Empire deals with the music industry rather than finance. Suits is more lawyer/legal focused.

I'd say Billions, Industry, and StartUp would be your best bets. Billions and Industry deal directly with finance firms and StartUp is about three people coming together to launch a cryptocurrency.
i suggested it in jest because your original request sounded like something a marketing executive would formulate if they were brainstorming an idea for a television show. i almost wanted to ask you what you wanted it for as it didn't seem like you just wanted to watch it.

but also because it does meet your requirements inasmuch as finance goes. the wire, over all seasons, demonstrates an intricate financial web between the legitimate and illegitimate economies. its scope is very good.

not strictly what you're looking for but you won't find a better tv show.

this.

also american psycho and wolf of wallstreet plus all films within that orbit sort of meet the description except they're films too.

i'd suggest dopesick. has the financial side of the 9-5 execs as well as true corruption scandal plus dramatic depth.
The tv shows are one medium of many that I use as a spring board of ideas/ call to action. I got significant value of Empire. Seeing the business acumen of Cookie Lyon inspired me to acquire a mentor for my personal passion project. That ended up being one of the best decisions I've made in awhile, as I now have access to someone that generates six figures from it. And seeing her unapologetic demeanour positioned me to do a SWOT analysis of myself. Saying that though, when I started Empire around six years ago, it was solely for entertainment purposes, its just fortune that it got my creative juices flowing. And there's other aspects which I haven't been able to replicate .. yet.

Upon the suggestion, I gave StartUp a chance and can confirm I've now completed series 1. I got significant value from a scene in episode 5 which led to a paradigm shift in mindset. There's a scene where the protagonist is down is suffering from a mental block, and her companion says, "is it impossible, or do you just not know yet .. the latter is good." I had to pause the scene and jot that down, and it reminded me of the notes I took from How to Steal Like an Artist. Namely, analog to digital loop. With a computer its too easy to press the delete button, we become perfectionists that are ideas don't manifest. My analog desk has nothing but markers, pencils, pens, papers, index cards, stick notes and newspaper. Nothing eletronic is allowed on that desk. Stand up working, pin things on wall and look for patterns. I give myself 30 minutes and see what I can put to the paper, anything that comes to my head goes on. And then I have my digital desk with no papers and I'm viewing spreadsheets of my ideas, free software, apps, and just typing and editing my thoughts. So cheers for that, took those notes awhile back, but that one scene reignited a desire to execute on those notes which I did last Saturday. Hopefully in six months time, it will still be a part of my weekend routine. Hopefully Season 2 will give me ideas on Crypto itself.

Industry - I've watched the first two episodes and its clear to me that it meets the criteria of "salesman ... go getter/workaholic in 9-5 ... work life balance .. a life balance whether that's friendships, relationships". I haven't felt a call to action just yet, but given the nature of the show, I'm positive it will evoke an action in me eventually. Or give me an insight that will have a galvanising influence

Billions - I had already started. I'm looking forward to see how I can apply the episodes to my own investments, and to gain an insight on how the wealthy spend their money to create time.

One of my favourite YouTube channels recommended WestWorld for those interested in artificial intelligence. The digital space is linked to one of my side hustles. So, I'm excited to see how The Peripheral will appeal to the "creative" side of me.

I watched two episodes of Selling Tampa hoping it would give me an insight on real estate, but I've decided I won't be continuing with the series.

Without spoilers, how would you say Dopesick is different to The DropOut?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The tv shows are one medium of many that I use as a spring board of ideas/ call to action. I got significant value of Empire. Seeing the business acumen of Cookie Lyon inspired me to acquire a mentor for my personal passion project. That ended up being one of the best decisions I've made in awhile, as I now have access to someone that generates six figures from it. And seeing her unapologetic demeanour positioned me to do a SWOT analysis of myself. Saying that though, when I started Empire around six years ago, it was solely for entertainment purposes, its just fortune that it got my creative juices flowing. And there's other aspects which I haven't been able to replicate .. yet.

Upon the suggestion, I gave StartUp a chance and can confirm I've now completed series 1. I got significant value from a scene in episode 5 which led to a paradigm shift in mindset. There's a scene where the protagonist is down is suffering from a mental block, and her companion says, "is it impossible, or do you just not know yet .. the latter is good." I had to pause the scene and jot that down, and it reminded me of the notes I took from How to Steal Like an Artist. Namely, analog to digital loop. With a computer its too easy to press the delete button, we become perfectionists that are ideas don't manifest. My analog desk has nothing but markers, pencils, pens, papers, index cards, stick notes and newspaper. Nothing eletronic is allowed on that desk. Stand up working, pin things on wall and look for patterns. I give myself 30 minutes and see what I can put to the paper, anything that comes to my head goes on. And then I have my digital desk with no papers and I'm viewing spreadsheets of my ideas, free software, apps, and just typing and editing my thoughts. So cheers for that, took those notes awhile back, but that one scene reignited a desire to execute on those notes which I did last Saturday. Hopefully in six months time, it will still be a part of my weekend routine. Hopefully Season 2 will give me ideas on Crypto itself.

Industry - I've watched the first two episodes and its clear to me that it meets the criteria of "salesman ... go getter/workaholic in 9-5 ... work life balance .. a life balance whether that's friendships, relationships". I haven't felt a call to action just yet, but given the nature of the show, I'm positive it will evoke an action in me eventually. Or give me an insight that will have a galvanising influence

Billions - I had already started. I'm looking forward to see how I can apply the episodes to my own investments, and to gain an insight on how the wealthy spend their money to create time.

One of my favourite YouTube channels recommended WestWorld for those interested in artificial intelligence. The digital space is linked to one of my side hustles. So, I'm excited to see how The Peripheral will appeal to the "creative" side of me.

I watched two episodes of Selling Tampa hoping it would give me an insight on real estate, but I've decided I won't be continuing with the series.

Without spoilers, how would you say Dopesick is different to The DropOut?
The analog desk and digital desk is a great concept. I've met someone that uses that split and it works for them. I've always meant to try it but I've always had more inspiration just from working from one big desk. But the split does come with psychological benefits for sure. I know you mentioned looking at other mediums so you probably do this already but for the type of things you mention, I find fiction books to be a lot more insightful because they have the space to develop more details about specific topics (obviously non-fiction works too).

The Drop Out really focuses on just Elizabeth Holmes and the Theranos scandal from that perspective. Dopesick covers the entire opiate rise from multiple different angles not just from say the Purdue Pharma family (although they are featured). It has several different story arcs that give a bottom to top view of the entire opiate epidemic and how and why it unfolded how it did.

The Drop Out was good enough but Dopesick is a much superior show for both entertainment and for revealing multiple layers that contribute to the opiate problems.

neverdie

as an introduction into the topic, i think the way you engage with film and the discipline you demonstrate is a great idea. you do need to move beyond the filmic treatment of the topic because, and yeah everyone knows this already, even the most "realistic" of films tend to be problematic. detachments from the world as it functions on a boring or mundane, day to day, basis. and i say this only because of the way you engage with film means that you might not want to write off the mundane, the boring, or the tedious. most lines of work will be all of those things for a solid part of the time. the in-between moments are valuable too precisely because "nothing" is happening. that's as true in dramatic theory as it is in reality. aristotle's thesis on mimesis more or less.

Donut

Anyone watching The Watcher on Netflix? Seems to be gaining popularity online.
I really like the main actor (from Boardwalk Empire) but it has quite poor reviews so I’ve stayed clear for now.

Roosney

You're allowed to have an opinion, even when it's wrong
Thanks.

Seriously though, I find 90% of series praised on here to be trash. I understand people like different things but it's interesting to see how far "excellent" and "brilliant" can be scaled.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's definitely cheesy. To the point I feel like it has to be playing up to that cheesy whodunnit theme. I burst out laughing a few times at the cheesy spooky neighbours, and the cheesy nosey neighbours. They're so over the top.

Assuming it's meant to be this way, I can buy in to it a little, but it's cringey at times.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's definitely cheesy. To the point I feel like it has to be playing up to that cheesy whodunnit theme. I burst out laughing a few times at the cheesy spooky neighbours, and the cheesy nosey neighbours. They're so over the top.

Assuming it's meant to be this way, I can buy in to it a little, but it's cringey at times.
The da looking at the window with the stereotypical creepy woman in and then the light going off without her moving :lol: so corny.

It has to be playing up to that. It’s dreaders if it isn’t.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

I'm currently re-watching it and I don't understand what you're referring to?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm currently re-watching it and I don't understand what you're referring to?
The characters and the way they act are incredibly cliche horror/mystery. And then there's Stifler's mom.

It's difficult to take any of them seriously. It doesn't resemble real life. Which is fine because it's TV, but it doesn't seem to be able to define how it wants to come across, or at least I struggled to.

It was fun at points, but messy, and ultimately disappointing in its end, and although the ending is one of the only true aspects, considering they used so much creative license with the story it felt unfinished and a waste of 7 hours. I'm surprised anyone would be so quick to watch it all again. I'm guessing you enjoyed it?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The characters and the way they act are incredibly cliche horror/mystery. And then there's Stifler's mom.

It's difficult to take any of them seriously. It doesn't resemble real life. Which is fine because it's TV, but it doesn't seem to be able to define how it wants to come across, or at least I struggled to.

It was fun at points, but messy, and ultimately disappointing in its end, and although the ending is one of the only true aspects, considering they used so much creative license with the story it felt unfinished and a waste of 7 hours. I'm surprised anyone would be so quick to watch it all again. I'm guessing you enjoyed it?
Wait, what show are you talking about?

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I think they're referring to The Watcher, whereas everyone else had moved on to The Leftovers :lol:
If it’s Stifler’s mom I’d assume it’s The White Lotus. I totally disagree with VV on that too, it was a great show.

edit: oh hang on, she was in The Watcher too :lol: ok carry on.