Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

neverdie

Again, I'm grateful for Neverdie's suggestion of The Wire. I read the synopsis to identify how the show is linked to finances, and my findings were drug dealers and the police. I imagine Neverdie's line of thinking was the hustling aspect of drug dealing would meet the criteria I was asking for. That's why I thanked him, as I appreciate the thought process to make that connection. But wasn't quite what I was looking for. I was thinking a line of work that one could have on their resume. That's not to say The Wire isn't a brilliant show in its own right, I'm sure it is, its widely considered to be one of the greatest shows ever. I was after a very specific kind of show. My apologies for the offence I've caused.
i suggested it in jest because your original request sounded like something a marketing executive would formulate if they were brainstorming an idea for a television show. i almost wanted to ask you what you wanted it for as it didn't seem like you just wanted to watch it.

but also because it does meet your requirements inasmuch as finance goes. the wire, over all seasons, demonstrates an intricate financial web between the legitimate and illegitimate economies. its scope is very good.

not strictly what you're looking for but you won't find a better tv show.

If you want to see the negative side of sales, watch Glengarry Glen Ross. Not a series, a movie based on a Mamet play.
this.

also american psycho and wolf of wallstreet plus all films within that orbit sort of meet the description except they're films too.

i'd suggest dopesick. has the financial side of the 9-5 execs as well as true corruption scandal plus dramatic depth.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
i suggested it in jest because your original request sounded like something a marketing executive would formulate if they were brainstorming an idea for a television show. i almost wanted to ask you what you wanted it for as it didn't seem like you just wanted to watch it.

but also because it does meet your requirements inasmuch as finance goes. the wire, over all seasons, demonstrates an intricate financial web between the legitimate and illegitimate economies. its scope is very good.

not strictly what you're looking for but you won't find a better tv show.

this.

also american psycho and wolf of wallstreet plus all films within that orbit sort of meet the description except they're films too.

i'd suggest dopesick. has the financial side of the 9-5 execs as well as true corruption scandal plus dramatic depth.
Dopesick is a good call. Boiler Room is decent showing an unscrupulous business.

noelyman

Thanks for all the great TV recommendations here. I've caught covid 19 and am in middle of home quarantine (yeah they still do that sheeeyaaat here in HK) and these show recommendations have helped make my self isolation more bearable.

So far thanks to this thread i've bingewatched Severance, BlackBird, and Mr Inbetween. All great for different reasons. But surely I can't be the only person who sees a bit of a resemblance between Mr Inbetween's Ray Shoesmith and Erik Ten Hag? :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Thanks for all the great TV recommendations here. I've caught covid 19 and am in middle of home quarantine (yeah they still do that sheeeyaaat here in HK)

So far thanks to this thread i've bingewatched Severance, BlackBird, and Mr Inbetween. All great for different reasons. But surely I can't be the only person who sees a bit of a resemblance between Mr Inbetween's Ray Shoesmith and Erik Ten Hag? :lol:
Check out Five Days at Memorial on Apple.

noelyman

Check out Five Days at Memorial on Apple.
Think the wife was keen on watching that. But since i'm covid positive and shut up in my bedroom away from her and the kids who are negative I'm sticking to stuff I know she won't really be into. Mr Inbetween's probably too violent for her so now is perfect time to watch.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Think the wife was keen on watching that. But since i'm covid positive and shut up in my bedroom away from her and the kids who are negative I'm sticking to stuff I know she won't really be into. Mr Inbetween's probably too violent for her so now is perfect time to watch.
My wife never got into Mr Inbetween although I think she would like it if she did especially as it was filmed mostly where we live and we know many of the locations. I still watch the final episode again from time to time. Such a great finale.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Has anyone watched the whole of Ridley? I watched the first two and was underwhelmed and don't know if I can be bothered watching the last 2.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yellowstone... Loving it.

Watching it through Paramount+ on Sky. Been binging it over the last week or so, I'm up to S3 E6. Once I finish these, I'll watch 1883.
Quite agree with you about Yellowstone.
Well acted and each episode has an interesting storytelling. Almost at the end of series 2.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
My wife never got into Mr Inbetween although I think she would like it if she did especially as it was filmed mostly where we live and we know many of the locations. I still watch the final episode again from time to time. Such a great finale.
Despite crime being my jam, I couldn't really get into it either. Watched the first season but I never found it inspiring or the characters particularly dynamic.

noelyman

Just finished watching the finale and have to wholeheartedly agree. I'm sure i'll be watching it again. That smile :D

noelyman

Despite crime being my jam, I couldn't really get into it either. Watched the first season but I never found it inspiring or the characters particularly dynamic.
Wow I find this really surprising. I'm struggling to think of a more powerful charismatic lead than Ray. It's astonishing to think that it's the only thing he's ever acted in. He's brilliant. His back story of how long it took him to break into Hollywood is great too.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...t-funny-in-between-state-20180920-p50513.html

"Oh fxxx! ...Here we go again!" :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Anyone watching Midnight Club? It's by Mike Flanagan, who is the guy behind Haunting Of Hill House, Midnight Mass, Oculus etc...

I'm only 3 eps in but enjoying it.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Wow I find this really surprising. I'm struggling to think of a more powerful charismatic lead than Ray. It's astonishing to think that it's the only thing he's ever acted in. He's brilliant. His back story of how long it took him to break into Hollywood is great too.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...t-funny-in-between-state-20180920-p50513.html

"Oh fxxx! ...Here we go again!" :lol:
I've been thinking about this and it was hard to place at first. Part of it is I watched after seeing a few posts here praise it to the heavens which probably set my expectations too high. And part of it is the comedy aspects just don't do it for me. I'm not a big comedy person and my sense of humor is definitely not the norm. Comedy-Dramas like Mr. Inbetween or Barry would never make one of my top lists because I just prefer grittier dramas in general. I don't think it's a bad show (as I do several others that people like here) so I might finish it at some point. But for me, for example, I find Jon Bernthal in American Gigolo and We Own This City a lot more compelling than the lead in Mr. Inbetween.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Whats everyones opinion on Friday Night Lights?

Ive heard very good things about it for the type of show it is. I have to admit 4 episodes in I'm pleasantly surprised by it.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports

Ive heard very good things about it for the type of show it is. I have to admit 4 episodes in I'm pleasantly surprised by it.
It's a good teen drama that does a fairly good job of revealing certain aspects of American culture and the show can be surprisingly addictive.

One criticism I have is that it doesn't quite address some of the structural racism that the book it's based on did. The original book was a non-fiction book from a journalist following the Odessa Permian football team for a year and exposed a lot of the types of racism embedded in that Texas high school football culture. But the FNL tv show doesn't quite get into that as much (although a few episodes do deal with those issues to some degree). I do think the show does feed into the myth a little of the American Football coach being some type of hero because that's how Kyle Chandler is written when a lot of coaches (as the original book highlights) can be real pieces of shit.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Wonderful show. A couple of weird plot arcs, but it transcends them.

wr8_utd

:'(
I think I have heard you praise the finale and talk about that scene on Atleast 10 different occasions across threads. :lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
‘Dave’ is currently the best thing on TV.

2 seasons on iPlayer. Goes from good to great to peerless.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
‘Hostages’ on HBOMax is a rather compelling four part documentary about the 1979 Iranian Revolution seen through multiple lenses. One episode in & I recommend it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Interesting. The premise sounds terrible.
It’s gentle and joyous in lots of places. Savage and crude in others.

It starts really weirdly though. Like it didn’t know what it wanted to be. One of those shows where every episode feels better than the previous.

If you can watch the first 10 minutes of S01:E10 and think ‘This ain’t for me’, it’s probably not. Obviously it builds to that point but if anyone was about to give up after two or three episodes., watching that 10 mins is a good temperature check as to where it goes.