Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Swarm is probably the least I’ve enjoyed a Donald Glover related property going all the way back to Mystery Team! Which isn’t to say it’s bad, or that I didn’t think parts of it were good, but moreover that it wasn’t very involving or as original as it thought it was.

Co-written with one of his Atlanta alum it’s about a thinly veiled Beyoncé-Stan who snaps and goes around the US killing people who are rude about her, in an almost quasi-anthology format.
The whole thing is a bit like an extended Atlanta riff, only one without any enjoyable or interesting characters.

The 6th ep was the most interesting, where it goes meta and tries to comment on the show like it’s a fictionalised account of a real event, but likewise suffered from me just not caring about these people enough.

Still it’s a quirky, diverting bit of media that’s got a lot of quite interesting things in it, even it’s it’s a chore in parts.

Sprung on the other hand I really enjoyed oddly. It’s basically a stand alone 9 episode sitcom season, from the guy behind My Name Is Earl. So it’s got the same kind of easy going charm as that (or at least that I remember that having, without having watched it for 15 or so years!) but telling a serialised heist story about a bunch of loveable ex-cons who’re let out of prison early due to Covid. Martha Plimpton is the best thing in it by a mile.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Sprung on the other hand I really enjoyed oddly. It’s basically a stand alone 9 episode sitcom season, from the guy behind My Name Is Earl. So it’s got the same kind of easy going charm as that (or at least that I remember that having, without having watched it for 15 or so years!) but telling a serialised heist story about a bunch of loveable ex-cons who’re let out of prison early due to Covid. Martha Plimpton is the best thing in it by a mile.
Thanks for this, will definitely start watching it tonight. I absolutely loved My Name Is Earl.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Halfway through the first episode of the miniseries ‘Waco - American Apocalypse‘ on Netflix. A bunch of new footage is shown in the first episode. Pretty engrossing. A complete cockup on both sides.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Watching this myself, these people are insane the woman in yellow trying to defend sex with minors because they were of age :houllier:
It seemed as though the survivors were fully & unrepentantly still squarely in the ****'s grasp. No qualms about their past.

Golden Nugget

Watched Super Pumped and WeCrashed recently while on sick leave - the overall reviews weren’t great and as someone that didn’t know the background of these insane CEOs, I found the two to be a good watch. WeCrashed was a lot better imo - mainly due to Jared Leto being amazing.

Going to start the Dropout after this, but that’s with me not knowing a single thing about Theranos before.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Watched Super Pumped and WeCrashed recently while on sick leave - the overall reviews weren’t great and as someone that didn’t know the background of these insane CEOs, I found the two to be a good watch. WeCrashed was a lot better imo - mainly due to Jared Leto being amazing.

Going to start the Dropout after this, but that’s with me not knowing a single thing about Theranos before.
It’s pretty good, similar in quality to the other two.

Gavinb33

The Old Man - Jeff Bridges playing an ex CIA man still wanted by authorities for something that went sideways a long time ago, from the 1st episode he has been on the run a while, the 1st episode is very good

On Disney +

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Old Man - Jeff Bridges playing an ex CIA man still wanted by authorities for something that went sideways a long time ago, from the 1st episode he has been on the run a while, the 1st episode is very good

On Disney +
Good overall series. Sets itself up for future seasons.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Watching season 2 of Ottoman Empire on Netflix. Great docudrama.
I binged both seasons over one weekend. Really loved it but honestly for me any kind of docuseries produced like that will have me hooked. I watched Age of Samurai a year or two ago and it was just as good.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just finished the Night Agent. Was decent. Nice fast paced action series.

Tarrou

Fleishman is in trouble is excellent, so well written.. even Jesse Eisenberg didn't stop me from enjoying it

Wing Attack Plan R

Anyone watching SKY ROJO (Netflix)? I've watched seasons 1 and 2, about to start on 3, but I'm on the fence. There are only 8 episodes per season, so it's not a huge commitment, but even so, I find myself fast-forwarding over the many musical montages.

Story: 3 prostitutes try to escape from their creepy pimp.

It's shot and directed well, a stylized, high action, high violence, lurid palette. Good actors, good villains. Occasional nudity, lots of sex talk. Gives a fairly dispiriting look at brothels, in case any of you were big fans.

I think for this show to really work for you, you should watch 1 episode per week, no more. So that you forget some of the details of the previous episode. If you binge them, like I did, you'll wonder why a character can get shot in the stomach in one episode, then in the next episode (set a couple hours later) that same character has a bubble bath and now they are dancing around without a care in the world. The bad decisions (or bold decisions) the characters make will probably seem better too if you space them out a week.

Right now I can't tell if I like it or not. It joins about 10 others series I've watched some episodes of, but can't be arsed to finish (Better Than Us, The Peripheral, Messiah, Omniscient, Bojack Horseman, A Girl And An Astronaut, In From The Cold, Sense 8, Money Heist, Black Spot, Tribes Of Europa, Hot Skull, et al.). I just don't feel compelled to find out what happens in any of them. They are fine for a bit, but I'd rather watch something else and see if I can't wait to find out the ending (Dark, Archive 81).

Last edited:

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Any fans of Yellowjackets around here? It's starting its second season and I find it highly enjoyable. Despite having all the elements that could make it a total trainwreck, it balances them very well never relying too much on one. It is equal parts mistery, silly high school drama, grim housewives drama, horror, gore, dark comedy and homages a lot of classics plus the 90s culture as a whole.

Melanie Lynskey and Cristina Ricci are as good as always (Ricci's character is so hilariously dark that it wouldn't look out of place in a Marvel/DC movie). Watch out for Sophie Thatcher (Prospect) as she is gonna have a great career.

Loon

:lol:
I’m very late to the party, but the show which has replaced the now finished COBRA KAI as my light, go-to after a crap day series, is CALL MY AGENT (DIX POUR CENT). Great seeing some cinematic legends sending themselves up alongside the terrific regular cast.

Last edited:

wr8_utd

:'(
Any fans of Yellowjackets around here? It's starting its second season and I find it highly enjoyable. Despite having all the elements that could make it a total trainwreck, it balances them very well never relying too much on one. It is equal parts mistery, silly high school drama, grim housewives drama, horror, gore, dark comedy and homages a lot of classics plus the 90s culture as a whole.

Melanie Lynskey and Cristina Ricci are as good as always (Ricci's character is so hilariously dark that it wouldn't look out of place in a Marvel/DC movie). Watch out for Sophie Thatcher (Prospect) as she is gonna have a great career.
Good solid start to the second season. I had kind of expected it to not be very good this season but the initial signs are positive.