Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Cina

I do love me some Sean Lock. Does he essentially play himself or what?

Brophs

The One and Only
Sean Locke's 15 Storeys High. Written by Locke, Mark Lamarr & the boss from Phone Shop. It's a brilliant, understated, underappreciated sitcom. Probably the best thing BBCThree ever did.
I watched two episodes of that a few years ago and didn't really get into it. I've been meaning to give it another go.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I do love me some Sean Lock. Does he essentially play himself or what?
Ish. It's an odd couple thing. Locke's a grumpy misanthrope, Benedict Wong is a naive optimist. Simple stuff, and very cheaply filmed but there's some really nice stuff in there IMO. It's one of those slow quirky ones that if you like, you'll really like.

I watched two episodes of that a few years ago and didn't really get into it. I've been meaning to give it another go.
I watched the whole thing through in about 2 days, which I suppose helped (I only remember it vaguely from it's initial run and also had one of those "I should watch this again" moments) I thought the first ep was a bit slow, but it picks up pretty quickly and gets better in the 2nd series when Lamarr joins the writers.

It takes a little while to get used to the skits (it occasionally cuts to random quick sketches of other people living in the flats - Lamarr/Peter Serefenowicz/Bill Bailey/Toby Jones/Kevin Eldon etc) which are hit and miss, but once you do, it's really moreish.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
Oddly I was away with work recently, with no access to fast internet, and the only show I had available to me was Him and Her, which a friend had put onto my iPad recently. It stars Russel Tovey and Sarah Solemani. It was actually okay. Some of it is a bit patchy, but I got through a couple of short seasons in a few nights.

Mockney

I had the same thing with that as you with 15 Storeys. Found it very hard to get into, and pretty coupley (by which I mean lot of the humour/relatability depended on stuff couples would find funny) but I've grown to like it after watching the wedding stuff through in one go. Don't think it's as good as 15 Storyes mind, but it's alright, yeah. Not hugely a fan of Joe Wilkinson's "Look, I'm a weird guy" schtick though. At least not in large doses.

I've just noticed it's all on youtube.

Last edited:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Just finished watching the pilot episode for 'Bosch' from Amazon (prime video/lovefilm). Seems to have good potential.

LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch works to solve the murder of a 13-year-old boy while standing trial in federal court for the murder of a serial killer.
It's based on the Harry Bosch book series from Michael Connelly. I've never read these, and have no idea if that would have a positive or negative effect (if either) on how I considered this though as I wasn't constantly making comparisons or concerned with how they had adapted it.

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I'm watching The Critic at the moment. Great show, has a lot of similarities with The Simpsons season 3-4.

So many killer parodies, Marlon Brando as Barney the Dinosaur ffs :lol:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Anyone here watched 1st season of 'Almost Human' with Karl Urban ? I think I saw JJ Abrams' name in the trailer.

Worth of watching ?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I've almost finished season 2 of The West Wing. It's pretty good so far except for occasional nauseating sentimentality.

I also rolled my eyes recently when another comic relief woman was introduced.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I've almost finished season 2 of The West Wing. It's pretty good so far except for occasional nauseating sentimentality.

I also rolled my eyes recently when another comic relief woman was introduced.
You have a heart of stone, that's your problem right there you Scandinavian bastard!

Which comic relief woman are you referring to? Is it Ainsley?
Women! Can't live with them, can't live without them. Am I right? Lol oh man
:lol:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
You have a heart of stone, that's your problem right there you Scandinavian bastard!

Which comic relief woman are you referring to? Is it Ainsley?

:lol:
It's just not believable that the staff can be so fragile with all the watery eyes and crinkled foreheads. Toby is the worst one, how can he possibly be director of communications when he's such a mopey wreck.

Also, has there ever been a character named "Toby" in fiction that wasn't a mopey punching bag?

Yeah, Ainsley. Aaron Sorkin is a sexist, quite and simple.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You're too harsh! Of course it's not going to be pure documentary style, but I thought they managed to balance the 'soapy' aspects well against the political side of the show (the latter being much more enjoyable and interesting even though it was a bit overdramatic at times). Toby was great as well!

Ainsley annoyed me at first but grew on me. Not too sure her character can be depicted as being written by a sexist, but maybe my memory is playing a trick here (and I think her character is developped throughout the show, very slowly, there's often a lot of episodes where you just don't see her at all and then she suddenly pops up again).

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
You're too harsh! Of course it's not going to be pure documentary style, but I thought they managed to balance the 'soapy' aspects well against the political side of the show (the latter being much more enjoyable and interesting even though it was a bit overdramatic at times). Toby was great as well!

Ainsley annoyed me at first but grew on me. Not too sure her character can be depicted as being written by a sexist, but maybe my memory is playing a trick here (and I think her character is developped throughout the show, very slowly, there's often a lot of episodes where you just don't see her at all and then she suddenly pops up again).
Yeah, mostly it keeps a good balance. The music is the worst!

It's just not in The West Wing he appears sexist, much more so in The Newsroom.

Mockney

What is that? Animated series?
It's the show The Simpsons crossed over with in the film festival "football in the groin" episode. He's 'The Critic' Marge invites to judge it. He also appears in the one where Ned Flanders is committed, repeating "it stinks" in a padded cell. It's written by two of the Simpsons showrunners.

Last edited:

kps88

West Wing was basically a revolving door for future TV stars. I guess once you got on there that was your big break.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Is anyone keeping up with The Vikings or Black Sails? I watched the first one or two and it seem to curtail off...

What are the thoughts?

Cina

Finished Black Sails, it's ok I guess. Basically Spartacus with pirates but not remotely as fun and the storyline isn't as good, it also never really manages to 'kick off'. Women in it are amazing though and some of the ship fights are good.

four episodes into Vikings and liking it so far.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Vikings is good fun Angelo. Some poor acting and can sometimes feel a little cheap, especially if you compare it to GOT.

In terms of pure action-filled entertainment though it beats it hands down. It's definitely enjoyable it's just not of the best quality in some areas.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Finished Black Sails, it's ok I guess. Basically Spartacus with pirates but not remotely as fun and the storyline isn't as good, it also never really manages to 'kick off'. Women in it are amazing though and some of the ship fights are good.

four episodes into Vikings and liking it so far.
Finished black sails? There's only 1 season out isn't there? And That's dissapointing, I enjoyed Spartacus but mainly due to the story...

Vikings I watched all of season 1 and really enjoyed it, could tell it was low budget, but felt they did well with what they had, good character choice for the main guy as well, season 2 just seemed to be from another producer? It was just a different quality, I watched two episodes and gave up, but was hoping I'd maybe judged it too quickly...