Music Arctic Monkeys

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Humbug is my least favourite album, but it has my favourite album cover of all their records. Also, Cornerstone is my all time favourite song from them, was stoked when they played it.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck

Seeing both bands in Finsbury Park can't wait.

MarcRed96

Humbug is okay. It has a few really good songs but I've never really liked the album as a whole. Still better than Suck It And See though.

Their first album will always be my favourite.

nemanja nemagic

Any Arctic Monkey's fans might wanna check out Queens of the Stone Age's latest record. Josh Homme and Alex Turner are good friends, he even produced Humbug for them. ...Like Clockwork sounds like it has quite a bit of Arctic Monkey's influence, 'My God is the Sun' and 'Smooth Sailing' in particular.
Bloody good tunes those 2MM, will probably download that!

Seeing both bands in Finsbury Park can't wait.
Did not know they had covered this; brilliant! Saw Tame Impala at Glastonbury last year, great band.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
AM really grew on me after about 6 spins, I like it more than Humbug, but to me the best album is still FWN

lalloyd

Whatever People Say I Am will always be the best album for me. A Certain Romance is my favourite song, No Buses is up there too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I Appear Missing is the best track on that album.
Agreed, that and 'Fairweather Friends' imo, just didn't hear much AM in it. I think Alex Turner named 'Kalopsia' too, but i might be making that up.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ok I've seen them live twice now, and I don't get it. At all.

The first time they were pretty good, though not up there with my absolute favourite live bands, and then last night, they were fecking atrocious.

Their new songs which everyone in internet land professes to love, are lifeless, depressing shite. as individual songs they're ok (ish), but when 5 or 6 get churned out in a row, and you're just standing there waiting for something to dance to or at least enjoy, it starts to seriously grate...I'm more and more convinced people just like anything they churn out based on it being the Arctic Monkeys. They weren't even loud enough to hear over the sound of people talking in the audience...and we were stood literally 5 metres away from a 10ft fecking speaker. Tame Impala managed to be deafeningly loud from the same spot.

Alex Turner made Jake Bugg seem like the word's most cheerful man. Even the crowd...I've never been to a gig with so many people off their face on heroin and intent on acting like bellends instead of just having a good time. It was bizarre....like someone had rounded up all the nobheads from every single festival on the planet and put them in one place.

The thing is I jokingly said at the start of the evening that Alex Turner was about 2 years away from just reciting shit poetry at gigs while crowds of idiots more interested in acting cool than having fun worshipped him...but I was wrong. It's not 2 years away. It's already started happening.

I'm actually genuinely disappointed I skipped seeing the new X-Men film for this. I think quite possibly the only gig I've been to that I can't say I've enjoyed on any level.

Ludens the Red

Ok I've seen them live twice now, and I don't get it. At all.

The first time they were pretty good, though not up there with my absolute favourite live bands, and then last night, they were fecking atrocious.

Their new songs which everyone in internet land professes to love, are lifeless, depressing shite. as individual songs they're ok (ish), but when 5 or 6 get churned out in a row, and you're just standing there waiting for something to dance to or at least enjoy, it starts to seriously grate...I'm more and more convinced people just like anything they churn out based on it being the Arctic Monkeys. They weren't even loud enough to hear over the sound of people talking in the audience...and we were stood literally 5 metres away from a 10ft fecking speaker. Tame Impala managed to be deafeningly loud from the same spot.

Alex Turner made Jake Bugg seem like the word's most cheerful man. Even the crowd...I've never been to a gig with so many people off their face on heroin and intent on acting like bellends instead of just having a good time. It was bizarre....like someone had rounded up all the nobheads from every single festival on the planet and put them in one place.

The thing is I jokingly said at the start of the evening that Alex Turner was about 2 years away from just reciting shit poetry at gigs while crowds of idiots more interested in acting cool than having fun worshipped him...but I was wrong. It's not 2 years away. It's already started happening.

I'm actually genuinely disappointed I skipped seeing the new X-Men film for this. I think quite possibly the only gig I've been to that I can't say I've enjoyed on any level.
:lol:

I don't get you, the way you've been running these guys down in this thread I'm amazed you even went last night. You've got some weird perverse thing going on with the Arctic Monkeys that should probably be looked into, like someone who takes pleasure from being beaten.

I went last night, loved it but yeah way too many smack heads around.
I've personally enjoyed their last two albums as much as their first two, I like the new sound, I like that they played most of AM. You probably shouldn't have gone expecting stuff like Brianstorm all the way through.

I take it you'll be seeing them at Leeds/Reading?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wasn't AM generally accepted as their best album in a while? It certainly got more acclaim than their previous ones, was more of a success commercially and (judging by the people I know) won back a lot of the casual listeners who disappeared around Humbug.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Wasn't AM generally accepted as their best album in a while? It certainly got more acclaim than their previous ones, was more of a success commercially and (judging by the people I know) won back a lot of the casual listeners who disappeared around Humbug.
:(

That's still my favourite Monkeys album.

VivaJanuzaj

It's madness, Humbug is by far their worst album.
Whatever people say I am that's what I'm not & Favorite worst nightmare are two masterpieces.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
We need another Humbug to cull the wankers. Last night was rammed with them. When Peter Crouch is the highlight of a gig you know something's up. fecking bruised all over today, was a messy crowd.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
:lol:

I don't get you, the way you've been running these guys down in this thread I'm amazed you even went last night. You've got some weird perverse thing going on with the Arctic Monkeys that should probably be looked into, like someone who takes pleasure from being beaten.

I went last night, loved it but yeah way too many smack heads around.
I've personally enjoyed their last two albums as much as their first two, I like the new sound, I like that they played most of AM. You probably shouldn't have gone expecting stuff like Brianstorm all the way through.

I take it you'll be seeing them at Leeds/Reading?
I'm not running them down. I like them, but last night was wank. A crowd full of drugged up dickheads, and a shit, lifeless set from the Arctic Monkeys who charged everyone there over £60 for the privelidge. I mean come on...I know they have an ultra defensive fanboi following but this just isn't on really. Also, if the people who champion them so vigorously on the internet are the same types who evidentally have started turning up at their gigs, then I'm not inclined to listen.

I don't get their new stuff at all. It might just be my tastes...but I like them because their songs are catchy and energetic and fun to listen to. The last two albums (arguably Humbug aswell) they've taken all of that away, and replaced it with...I dunno. Lethargic misery? I mean. Their newer songs, by en large, aren't energetic, they aren't meaningful or atmospheric, or rhythmic...they definitely aren't fun. I don't know what they're suppoed to be. They're just generic "meh" songs which if they'd come from anyone other than the Arctic Monkeys, no one would be particularly excited about.

I didn't enjoy Brianstorm either tbh...because I could barely hear it over people shouting. The backing guitar also seemed to give up completely about 20 seconds in. Crying Lightning was the only song I thought came off well. Tame Impala had a couple of decent tracks, but the main redeeming feature of the evening was the guy on the way back to the station who had convinced himself we were all "being led to our doom" and was frantically trying to stop people entering the tube station (until he started barrell rolling himself into the wall and laughing hysterically).

I was mulling over going until the last minute because of the price (mainly went because my sister didn't have anyone else going back home the same way as her), but I usually enjoy any live music and booze so I was still looking forward to it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Clearly you just don't like their new style then. The new songs aren't meh at all for most people and I'd love the album regardless of who sung it. Songs like Arabella, Snap Out Of It and Do I Wanna Know are hardly generic. If they carried on doing the same style they'd be a shit band, the best ones evolve and try new things. If you want to hear their original style just listen to WPSIATWIN or Favourite Worst Nightmare. Sounds like seeing them live isn't for you noods.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I'm not running them down. I like them, but last night was wank. A crowd full of drugged up dickheads, and a shit, lifeless set from the Arctic Monkeys who charged everyone there over £60 for the privelidge. I mean come on...I know they have an ultra defensive fanboi following but this just isn't on really. Also, if the people who champion them so vigorously on the internet are the same types who evidentally have started turning up at their gigs, then I'm not inclined to listen.

I don't get their new stuff at all. It might just be my tastes...but I like them because their songs are catchy and energetic and fun to listen to. The last two albums (arguably Humbug aswell) they've taken all of that away, and replaced it with...I dunno. Lethargic misery? I mean. Their newer songs, by en large, aren't energetic, they aren't meaningful or atmospheric, or rhythmic...they definitely aren't fun. I don't know what they're suppoed to be. They're just generic "meh" songs which if they'd come from anyone other than the Arctic Monkeys, no one would be particularly excited about.

I didn't enjoy Brianstorm either tbh...because I could barely hear it over people shouting. The backing guitar also seemed to give up completely about 20 seconds in. Crying Lightning was the only song I thought came off well. Tame Impala had a couple of decent tracks, but the main redeeming feature of the evening was the guy on the way back to the station who had convinced himself we were all "being led to our doom" and was frantically trying to stop people entering the tube station (until he started barrell rolling himself into the wall and laughing hysterically).

I was mulling over going until the last minute because of the price (mainly went because my sister didn't have anyone else going back home the same way as her), but I usually enjoy any live music and booze so I was still looking forward to it.
I get you saying you don't enjoy their new stuff; it's your own personal taste, so fair enough. But then saying it isn't meaningful, atmospheric, rhythmic, or fun? Saying the songs are generic and no one would be excited about them if AM weren't singing them? Those are statements I definitely disagree with.

JmRssll555

...by en large...
What is that noodle? Surely, "by and large" no?

Shame you didn't enjoy the gig. I'm looking forward to seeing them at Leeds this year, so I'm hoping they're on top form. I have to say, I've seen them before and I think they're absolutely excellent live. Crowds full of wankers are always a nightmare though.

Generally, what's the crowd like at R&L? I've been to T in the Park a couple of times and it's generally good, with the odd scattering of idiots, though the crowds have been getting worse as the festival moved away from bands and started booking acts like Nicki Minaj and Swedish House Mafia to headline stages. I assume it's much the same at Leeds?

Acole9

Outstanding

Shame you didn't enjoy the gig. I'm looking forward to seeing them at Leeds this year, so I'm hoping they're on top form. I have to say, I've seen them before and I think they're absolutely excellent live. Crowds full of wankers are always a nightmare though.

Generally, what's the crowd like at R&L? I've been to T in the Park a couple of times and it's generally good, with the odd scattering of idiots, though the crowds have been getting worse as the festival moved away from bands and started booking acts like Nicki Minaj and Swedish House Mafia to headline stages. I assume it's much the same at Leeds?
Never been to Leeds but I have been to Reading festival twice and this year will be my third time and I have never had problems. I go to quite a lot of gigs/festivals and have come across a lot of twats during that time as you will get in most places and I tend to find that some bands fans are much nicer people than other bands fans.

I think you'll find that at more commercial events (V festival) is where you will mostly find the chav/lager lout types.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Clearly you just don't like their new style then. The new songs aren't meh at all for most people and I'd love the album regardless of who sung it. Songs like Arabella, Snap Out Of It and Do I Wanna Know are hardly generic. If they carried on doing the same style they'd be a shit band, the best ones evolve and try new things. If you want to hear their original style just listen to WPSIATWIN or Favourite Worst Nightmare. Sounds like seeing them live isn't for you noods.
Yes but as I said I enjoy pretty much all live music...I'm the annoying git who always wants to turn up in time to see the support band even if no one's ever heard of them.

It was more than just the songs. They were so quiet I could literally have a conversation with the person next to me without particularly having to raise my voice...and we were more or less next to one of the speakers. The whole performanc elacked any oomph at all. There were people shouting lyrics and during the faster songs, deliberately ramming into other groups of people, but literally no one dancing or jumping around...and that was the other and most major thing. The fans. By a long long way the biggest bunch of dickheads I've ever encountered gathered in one place.

I mean people whine about Reading/Leeds but that's an entirely pleasant experience compared to the drugged up feckwits that were everywhere here. We saw countles speople being dragged off or collapsing. People throwing piss at people. People lobbing stuff aggressively at everyone around them or deliberately elbowing/shoving people to the ground. One bloke who tried to kick off because one of the girls we were with wouldn't let him give her a piggy back ride. Another who started acting a cnut because I kept telling him I didn't have a lighter and he decided I was lying. If these are the people who follow the Arctic Monkeys around now, then I wouldn't go to another gig if the tickets were free. It was unbelievable how many twats there were. I've never encountered anything like it, and I live in Essex...I've been to West Ham games.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."

I've seen them before and really enjoyed it, so there's a chance it was a one off...but apart from anything else I thought the whole setlist was far too slow. Even the encore...nothing to dance to at all. I don't really get into gigs where you just stand there listening and then applaud after each song, unless I REALLY like the songs.

I've only been to Reading, and a lot of people there whined about the amount of idiots. There were a lot of teens there who couldn't handle whatever it was they were taking, but nothing like as bad as the other night, and nothing like bad enough to ruin your enjoyment of being there. More a mild irritation. The worst thing about Reading in terms of the people was that so many of them were younger than me it made me feel old!

Also, to be honest. Imagine Dragons followed by Jake Bugg is something I would put up with a large contingent of wankers to see anyway. Favourite two live acts I've seen in the last few years.

I would guess V is the festival of choice for the Finsbury Park mob but I've never been to V so that's just a guess based on the type of music that usually gets booked there.

Member 39557

I've seen the Arctic monkeys 4 times now, and last night was the first time I didn't enjoy it. Actually, I think it was the first time I didn't enjoy a gig by anybody. I loved all the previous arctic monkeys concerts (all indoors) and I think they're a great live band.

Last night, the volume wasn't loud enough. This was my main gripe, as you could hear all the twats chatting over the lead singer.

Secondly, the people attending the concert happened to largely consist of wankers. These factors spoiled it for me. Far too many people more interested in openly snorting coke than listening to the music. It's become somewhat fashionable to attend festivals and similar music events and they now seem to attract a lot of knobs.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought they'd have sorted the volume thing out after the first night because it really was just so pitifully low.

I think part of the problem with the sea of dickheads was there was literally nothing to stop them. Usually any event you go to you at least get searched on the way in. I could have just strolled in with a machine gun and backpack with "class a drugs" labelled on it the other day and nothing would have happened. Though even saying that it's still impressive the sheer number of them who were acting like tossers instead of just generic druggies.

Member 39557

I thought they'd have sorted the volume thing out after the first night because it really was just so pitifully low.

I think part of the problem with the sea of dickheads was there was literally nothing to stop them. Usually any event you go to you at least get searched on the way in. I could have just strolled in with a machine gun and backpack with "class a drugs" labelled on it the other day and nothing would have happened. Though even saying that it's still impressive the sheer number of them who were acting like tossers instead of just generic druggies.
Yes, I was hoping they'd sort it too. I can only assume there is a noise limit after 21:00pm or something? That's the first time I've been to a gig at finsbury park, so I don't know if it's a common complaint.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
was at finsbury park last night good gig, basically played every thing off the new album and a a few other tracks, but was a really good gig, even if alex turner is still putting on that stupid american accent "your not from new york city, your from rotherman!"

ow any one want to check out a band check out royal blood who supported them, their awesome!

nemanja nemagic

I've seen the Arctic monkeys 4 times now, and last night was the first time I didn't enjoy it. Actually, I think it was the first time I didn't enjoy a gig by anybody. I loved all the previous arctic monkeys concerts (all indoors) and I think they're a great live band.

Last night, the volume wasn't loud enough. This was my main gripe, as you could hear all the twats chatting over the lead singer.

Secondly, the people attending the concert happened to largely consist of wankers. These factors spoiled it for me. Far too many people more interested in openly snorting coke than listening to the music. It's become somewhat fashionable to attend festivals and similar music events and they now seem to attract a lot of knobs.
Was in the faultering fullback (really impressed with the excellent web of balconies outside) before and after the gig and there was a lot of that going on. Bloody Londoners

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's nowt to do with Londoners. It must be either a Finsbury Park or Arctic Monkeys fan specific thing. I'm guessing the former if the security is always like that for gigs there.

I'm just going to blame Arsenal fans as that seems the safest option

Lynk

Arctic Monkeys performance: Brilliant, top class.
The general audience: Arseholes

I was there on Friday, was stood bang in the middle. Half way back in the center. Arseholes chanting Chelsea songs to the left of me, Liverpool fans to the right, both chucking piss bottles at each other. At one stage I saw a fecking corkscrew chucked at some blokes head, luckily for him the sharp end didn't seem to hit him. The first two songs went down well, but when they broke into Brianstorm it started a 4-5 song moshpit in my area, which quickly turned violent due to the amount of alcohol those guys had consumed. At one stage I saw at least 8 groups hammering the shit out of each other, one group was composed of 4 fat, bald middle aged men, one of whom had blood pissing down his face. Crushes were regular, I was there with my sister and I had to move her out of that area and missed most of crying lightning and Don't Sit Down, I saw about 4-5 people gasping for air, having to be dragged out. It was fecking ridiculous.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You probably weren't too far from us...though we had no out and out fighting to keep us amused. If Finsbury Park is always like that then there is going to be a disaster of some kind somewhere down the line. I still can't believe how bad the crowd were :lol:

Lynk

You probably weren't too far from us...though we had no out and out fighting to keep us amused. If Finsbury Park is always like that then there is going to be a disaster of some kind somewhere down the line. I still can't believe how bad the crowd were :lol:
I thought the Monkeys lost the shitty side of their fanbase after Humbug, shame to see the Foster swigging scumbags have returned.

Don16

Annoying cnut
I came over from Ireland especially for the gig, and was absolutely go smacked at what a bunch of fecking cretins the crowd were. I'd never travel over for a gig again if that's what the crowds are always like, horrible atmosphere around the place.

As for the band, as much as I love them, it felt like they phoned it in a bit. I was there the Friday night, and the band just did not seem interested, it was practically like listening to one of their cd's. This was my 4th time seeing them, and was properly disappointed. These gigs were being seen as their Knebworth, and they looked like they'd prefer to be anywhere else. The big "surprise" of the night was an acoustic version of 'a certain romance', which was baffling, as the best part of that tune is the opening drums and guitar.

Very underwhelmed in general, shite crowd, shite atmosphere. Hope it's a bit better in Dublin in July

Don16

Annoying cnut

I wasn't a huge fan of their show Friday night, but this is one of their b-sides that I haven't heard before. As good as anything on the new album I reckon

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I came over from Ireland especially for the gig, and was absolutely go smacked at what a bunch of fecking cretins the crowd were. I'd never travel over for a gig again if that's what the crowds are always like, horrible atmosphere around the place.
They really aren't. That's the first gig or festival I've ever been to where the crowd has been so bad it's actually impeded on the ability to enjoy yourself. Usually with London gigs at worst the crowd is a bit dull/uninterested, and even then if the main act is good enough that soon changes.

I will be crossing Arctic Monkeys and Finsbury Park gigs off my list for the forseable future though. £60 for that was an absolute joke...and I don't even get how anyone can claim the performance was good unless they already decided it was going to be beforehand. It might have stood a chance of being if you could actually hear it...but but even so Turner seemed more concerned with acting cool and miserable than he did with the music. If anything he looked like he'd have fitted right in with the cretins in the audience.

Acole9

Outstanding
Someone I work with went to see them at the weekend and she said they sound just like what they do on their albums.