Music Arctic Monkeys

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Too many people like boring, pretentious sounding music. That's what the problem is.

I've also been subjected to the Maccabees and Two Door Cinema Club in recent times, and a friend wanted me to go with them to Berlin to see The XX. At least the Arctic Monkeys actually have some good songs which are distinguishable from one another, rather than sounding like the produce of some drugged up depressed photography student.

I mean, at the moment you'd still go to an Arctic Monkeys gig to dance and have fun, rather than to contemplate slitting your wrists, but they're heading dangerously in the wrong direction, imo.
Maybe if he jumped around on stage a bit more and had his drummer join him in escalating anthemic chants of "ohhhhh... Ahhhhhhhhh.... Heeyyyy" a la kaiser chiefs they'd be more fun?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Maybe if he jumped around on stage a bit more and had his drummer join him in escalating anthemic chants of "ohhhhh... Ahhhhhhhhh.... Heeyyyy" a la kaiser chiefs they'd be more fun?
I'm still unsure what The Kaiser Chiefs have to do with The Arctic Monkeys?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm still unsure what The Kaiser Chiefs have to do with The Arctic Monkeys?
Come on Noods, you're a smart chap. You must have heard of this entirely new craze called "comparisons". It's when you measure something against something similar in order to gain a perspective of how good each is.

You're a fan of Kaiser Chiefs, I'm using them as a comparison to the band you are being critical of.

Liam147

On Probation
Yeah because popularity is an indication of quality.

Go one direction!
Not quality no. But I will accept that One Direction have a huge appeal. That appeal is amongst young girls, who haven't the foggiest about music. If they were all ugly, do you think they'd have this success? They wouldn't have a chance. They're very popular, but amongst an unenlightened audience.

Arctic Monkeys are also popular, but with people who aren't solely interested in Simon Cowell's pretty autotuned boybands. They're followed by people who listen to music. It's no coincidence that on facebook a long while ago, my younger brother said that he wished they'd go back to making their old music. I said that was rubbish, and that they couldn't, as they'd grown up and totally changed as a band. Evolved, if you will. He said "Everyone on the bus agreed with me." Right, so a load of teenagers (and noodle) don't like their new music. Everyone else (on the whole), oddly, does.

The National are followed by a good half dozen fans.

Liam is a dyed-in-the-wool teenager. Challenge his opinions about music at your peril.
You were another one, weren't you?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Come on Noods, you're a smart chap. You must have heard of this entirely new craze called "comparisons". It's when you measure something against something similar in order to gain a perspective of how good each is.

You're a fan of Kaiser Chiefs, I'm using them as a comparison to the band you are being critical of.
But I've stated to you repeatedly that I'm not a fan of The Kaiser Chiefs? I just enjoyed seeing them live, and was surprised to do so.

For some reason you saw this as a dig at the Arctic Monkeys, to the point that even now, months later, you're still unable to let it go.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
You implied that if you didn't like Arctic Monkeys new stuff you were either noodle or a teenager.

Calling One Direction fans 'unenlightened', whether its true or not, gives the impression that you by comparison are enlightened and it's the kind of 'look out world I've got opinions and I'm not afraid to use them' thinking that a teenager might have. It's a Justin Bieber fan saying "OMG yur just jelous" but with an NME flavour.

Or whatever. The new song is pretty good.

Liam147

On Probation
You implied that if you didn't like Arctic Monkeys new stuff you were either noodle or a teenager.

Calling One Direction fans 'unenlightened', whether its true or not, gives the impression that you by comparison are enlightened and it's the kind of 'look out world I've got opinions and I'm not afraid to use them' thinking that a teenager might have. It's a Justin Bieber fan saying "OMG yur just jelous" but with an NME flavour.

I'm talking about their old fans. The vast majority of their old fans (and I don't just mean those who like I Bet You Look Good...) still liked their new stuff.

I'm not going to claim to be enlightened. It wasn't too many years ago that I didn't like/know of The Stone Roses, The Smiths or The Strokes, but I'll claim to be a hell of a lot more enlightened than One Direction fans.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The popularity of that thread, and their attendees at Leeds fest certainly proved me wrong.
The most recent album by The National went top 3 in around 12 countries, which is pretty impressive considering it was released on the same day as Daft Punk's album. One of the biggest indie bands around atm, no question. They are also one of the best, critically adored and rightfully so.

As for Arctic Monkeys, their last album was their 2nd best imo. They are certainly less popular now than they were a few years ago but all their albums still went No. 1 in the UK, so they're still pretty massive I think. Pretty impressive considering how much they've changed their sound. Their newest single was also their biggest selling since Fluorescent Adolescent, so it looks good for the new album too.

What music does Noodle actually like? I have no problem saying I'm more enlightened than the rest of you, so I wanna sit in judgement :)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Announced their UK tour dates. Going to try and see them at Earls Court.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Same. Seen 'em in the MEN a few years ago. We were two rows from the back though, due to my mate's feckwittery and indecisiveness. Planned ahead this time. Any clue as to how much these'll cost?
Probably around £32.50, least thats the standard price up in Scotland for big bands, and is what I paid the last couple of times I seen them. Tickets on sale this friday?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think Standing is £35. Tickets on sale July 5th at 9am.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

The worst thing, and in fact only real negative thing about the Arctic Monkeys, is that about 50% of their fans seem to consist of weirdos who declare anyone who doesn't think they're the greatest thing in history to be an idiot. It's not even ok to merely like them. Even praising another band without mentioning them is seen as some kind of grave offence, akin to spitting on Jesus's grave.

It's like the fanbase Muse dream of having has somehow manifested itself into reality, but in the wrong place.

Announced their UK tour dates. Going to try and see them at Earls Court.

Me too probably. Though slightly put off by it being at Earl's Court, where every band descends into the same barely distinguishable echoey blur, and half the capacity of the arena is made up of people queuing for the toilet.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We'll probably bump into each other in the toilet and awkwardly back away.

Member 39557

We'll probably bump into each other in the toilet and awkwardly back away.
I'll probably be there, watching anonymously as you awkwardly exchange pleasantries and then go back to your real lives.

Baxter

They're class. Went to see them a couple of years ago and they were fantastic. Best TV on tonight by far.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
So which album is your favourite? Favourite Worst Nightmare is probably mine, but then I never really got into Humbug, and 505 is on FWN, which is close enough to my favourite song of all time.

Sally Cinnamon

So which album is your favourite? Favourite Worst Nightmare is probably mine, but then I never really got into Humbug, and 505 is on FWN, which is close enough to my favourite song of all time.
Toss up between Humbug and the first, think Humbug's their best.

Baxter

Toss up between Whatever People Say I Am, or Favourite Worst Nightmare. Why is Turner talking like he's having a stroke?

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Yeah, I've always heard people say that Humbug is arguably their best. Need to have a proper listen of that.

Sally Cinnamon

Yeah, I've always heard people say that Humbug is arguably their best. Need to have a proper listen of that.
There are a couple songs at the end of Humbug that are definitely two of the very best they've done, for me anyway. Dance Little Liar and The Jeweller's Hands.

Haven't listened to much Arctic Monkey's in ages though, going to listen to Humbug after this.