Are Bruno and Rashford a problem?

chomsky89

I watched an youtube video KDB rated Bruno higher than Odegaard as Midfielder.
KDB was asked to give his "favorite creators to watch". Even if his answer was automatically meant to be the correct answer on best creators specifically, Odegaard is crucial in minimizing the number of opposition chances. When Arsenal leads he just runs around like a FIFA 98 player with the ball glued to his feet and making low-risk passes unless he sees a obvious key-ball opportunity. This is basically why Arsenal has had above 75% position many times this season. And why the opposition has sometimes had 0 chances in the second half. Because Arsenal usually scores in the first half and Odegaard starts doing his FIFA 98 thing because he has the ability to get away with that. It would have been Gold for United to have a creator midfielder which could also do this, but Bruno is Bruno.

DSG

He’s been poor in pretty much every department other than effort and Bruno is one of those players where if he’s not making goals and assists then he’s not doing much else. He’s never been capable of orchestrating general play in the middle of the park and has never seemed to play intricate one two football to elevate other players. He’s an off the cuff player so is always on or off. When he’s off or even just in mediocre form he’s well below what is required for a team that wants to challenge for top 4.
Most of this is due to ETH tactics. Ole played with a double pivot, a 4-2-3-1 with both Fred and Mctominay in the pivot, or Pogba. this allowed Bruno far more freedom. With Mason, Rashford and Martial, all really pacey, he was great arriving late in the box and assisting because Fred and Scotty are decent at recycling possession as well as pressure/tackling in the opposing half.

ETH has decided to live or die (mostly die to be honest) with a single pivot, Casemiro, with Bruno and Mctominay or Mainoo further forward. This leaves massive gaps in the midfield and why we are so open on the counter. In addition, with so many bodies forward, the spacing is tight. Rashford had elite speed and is pretty damn good at timing his runs, but is mediocre at possession play in the final 3rd.

Do I completely blame Ten Hag for Rashford / Bruno’s form? No. But when you alter tactics to fit a philosophy rather than fit to your player strengths, you will undoubtedly see a decline in productivity.

I do think that with a pragmatic manager like Ole, Rashford and Bruno will deliver more frequently because tactics were built around their strengths. Ancelotti is the ultimate pragmatic manager, just look at the way he said, feck the 4-3-3, we’re going to play a diamond and rely on a front 2 is Vini and Rodrygo with Bellingham as the tip of a midfield diamond. Those are his personnel, and he altered setup and tactics to highlight their strengths, not ask them to do things they aren’t good at…

El Jefe

Some of us have been saying this for three years now and that's back when they were good. They absolutely have to go to allow for a proper rebuild.

Somehow there are people that think we'd miss them. If Spurs can lose Kane and improve, how can we be afraid to lose this brainless duo in fear of getting worse? They are easily replaceable.

The Irish Connection

Yes. I’d swap Bruno for Eze in a heartbeat, but I appreciate his work rate and he can pick a pass, but Rashford has regressed beyond belief.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Some of us have been saying this for three years now and that's back when they were good. They absolutely have to go to allow for a proper rebuild.

Somehow there are people that think we'd miss them. If Spurs can lose Kane and improve, how can we be afraid to lose this brainless duo in fear of getting worse? They are easily replaceable.
Honestly, the knee-jerk maniacs that come gloating after one semi-decent (not even decent) performance after weeks of dross are to blame.

These people really lack any sort of long-term perspective of what is required to get to the top. Not surprising given we are now entering a second consecutive generation of failures at this football club.

If Ratcliffe and his merry men of high calibre experts don't make a change and quick, they go right back in the Glazer rat category for me.

P.S.Goldbridge can also feck off for defending our fraud manager, our fraud captain and our fraud talisman.

ifightdragons

You're spot on.

But our club and fanbase both love them, so we won't let them go. And it will be absolutely impossible to ever truly build a new team and implement a dominating playing style, as long as they are here. They are genuinely awful players for a team looking to dominate possession. And Bruno is a horrible captain. Not any more maturity than a petulant teenager.

As much as I have faith in INEOS, I think they too will fail to realize this. Just as every manager we've had has failed to as well. 90% of people are blinded by their brilliant moments and status, and can't see how genuinely awful they are at being composed and controlled on the ball.

Maybe in 3-4 years, when both Bruno and Rashford are getting quite old, will we be so lucky as to get rid of them. Too bad that they will be worth nothing in the market by then.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
I just think they're key cogs in a machine that has constantly failed, that at this point has to be examined deeply. It's gone on for far too long now.

I expect them both to be here next season but under a new manager.

daveskimufc

Hopefully mount can have a strong end to the season and keep one of them out of the side.

the_cliff

I've been saying this for years. Especially with Bruno. What makes me more frustrated is he's the opposite for Portugal and never tries to be superman and play Bruno ball.

Irwin99

I just think they're key cogs in a machine that has constantly failed, that at this point has to be examined deeply. It's gone on for far too long now.

I expect them both to be here next season but under a new manager.
Yet another manager :( I agree though, they'll be here. Both were vital in our win against Liverpool and Bruno is in line for another season of +10 goals and assists but there's definitely an argument to make that we need a team that has a defined shape/intent other than what these guys are good at.

People keep saying these aren't the same players that failed previous managers but there's still a core that keeps starting big games (six players that have been here 5 or more seasons i counted started the game today). Squad needs a serious examination as well as the manager.

WPMUFC

what consequences do Rashford or Bruno face for bad performances? They either play out the full game or get subbed off with 10 mins left. They are never forced to reflect on their performances, they have no understanding of actions having consequences and that then breeds a culture of dominant personalities. The players, manager and club are all contributing to this. We we hired ETH I thought he'd put an end to it, he hasn't and we are fecked as a club.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Unfortunately romanticism is a huge problem with our club.

A local lady that fed hungry children and had a few decent seasons is celebrated while it's evident that he's simply not that good. He's amazing at sprinting onto a ball and shooting but that's it.

Bruno had an excellent season and a half. But it was mostly penalties and playing in empty stadiums.

AndyMUFC

If they weren't virtually undroppable then it wouldn't be so bad, but no we cannot continue to build our attack around them if we want to progress.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Hopefully mount can have a strong end to the season and keep one of them out of the side.
Mount will come in for McT I think as was the original plan.

To answer this thread yes they are a massive problem when they are both having horrible seasons and they are meant to be setting a major example to the rest of the squad. It’s just another sign of the club being in the doldrums under the glazers when even our bigger players don’t look happy here half the time

Woziak

what consequences do Rashford or Bruno face for bad performances? They either play out the full game or get subbed off with 10 mins left. They are never forced to reflect on their performances, they have no understanding of actions having consequences and that then breeds a culture of dominant personalities. The players, manager and club are all contributing to this. We we hired ETH I thought he'd put an end to it, he hasn't and we are fecked as a club.
New CEO, New DOF, NeW Head of Recruitment, New Coach, New Captain, New Players, all this needs to be done asap, we should be doing the deal with Naigelsman next month and put in an assistant coach, that getting everything ready for Naigelsman.

I’d keep Bruno and Rashford but neither would be starting the first game of the new season, they either improve their standards from the bench or force a transfer in the January window.

That means we really do need to sign 3 Elite Attacking players, I Toney (70m), Danni Olmo(50) and M Olise or I Williams (50/42m), I’d also sell Antony and bring back Sancho if he regains some of his form.

We also need to sign a top DM like A onana from Everton , we need that level of energy next to Mainoo, I’d keep Varane, get rid of Casemiro, Lindelof and I’d make Varane captain, because he’s the sort of character that will call players out plus he’ll lead by example. We actually wouldn’t have conceded if he stayed on against Brentford. Give him a 2 year £250k per week contract with an option for 1 more year.

I’d like to see the club start with a team like this ; A Onana D Dalot R Varane, L Martinez, L Shaw, *A onana, K Mainoo, *D Olmo, *M Olise, *I Toney, A Garnaucho

With this team starting the first game in Europa League if we make that competition.
T Heaton, AWB, *J Todibo, H Maguire, *M Gutierrez, *R Barkley, M Mount, Bruno, Sancho/Amad, Hojlund, Rashford

let all the players fight for the place genuinely, let’s not have so much intensive training and then sell the following ;

V Lindelof, T Malacia, A Fernandez, Casemiro, Hanibal, F Pellistri, M Greenwood, C Eriksen, Antony, DVB

we should get £120m
And add £150-170m so a total spend of £270-290m

let Amrabat, Martial leave free up more wages.

reddevilz007

Theyre supposedly our two most important players. Yet none of the top clubs would buy them. They’re overrated and overhyped by our fanbase and media.

gajender

New CEO, New DOF, NeW Head of Recruitment, New Coach, New Captain, New Players, all this needs to be done asap, we should be doing the deal with Naigelsman next month and put in an assistant coach, that getting everything ready for Naigelsman.

I’d keep Bruno and Rashford but neither would be starting the first game of the new season, they either improve their standards from the bench or force a transfer in the January window.

That means we really do need to sign 3 Elite Attacking players, I Toney (70m), Danni Olmo(50) and M Olise or I Williams (50/42m), I’d also sell Antony and bring back Sancho if he regains some of his form.

We also need to sign a top DM like A onana from Everton , we need that level of energy next to Mainoo, I’d keep Varane, get rid of Casemiro, Lindelof and I’d make Varane captain, because he’s the sort of character that will call players out plus he’ll lead by example. We actually wouldn’t have conceded if he stayed on against Brentford. Give him a 2 year £250k per week contract with an option for 1 more year.

I’d like to see the club start with a team like this ; A Onana D Dalot R Varane, L Martinez, L Shaw, *A onana, K Mainoo, *D Olmo, *M Olise, *I Toney, A Garnaucho

With this team starting the first game in Europa League if we make that competition.
T Heaton, AWB, *J Todibo, H Maguire, *M Gutierrez, *R Barkley, M Mount, Bruno, Sancho/Amad, Hojlund, Rashford

let all the players fight for the place genuinely, let’s not have so much intensive training and then sell the following ;

V Lindelof, T Malacia, A Fernandez, Casemiro, Hanibal, F Pellistri, M Greenwood, C Eriksen, Antony, DVB

we should get £120m
And add £150-170m so a total spend of £270-290m

let Amrabat, Martial leave free up more wages.
This gave me a Chuckle you dont hold back when it comes to spouting nonsense .

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rashford - sell asap
Bruno - rotation

That’s their respective level if are serious about building a great team over the next 3-4 years.

Walters_19_MuFc

We could have taken Rashford and Bruno out of the team today and we'd have still conceded the amount of chances we did against Brentford. Don't get me the wrong, they were poor, and have been inconsistent for a very long time now, but the fact is, problems lie deeper than Rashford and Bruno. There's no fecking way we should be allowing Brentford to have 85 touches in our area. No disrespect but that's embarrassing!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You're spot on.

But our club and fanbase both love them, so we won't let them go. And it will be absolutely impossible to ever truly build a new team and implement a dominating playing style, as long as they are here. They are genuinely awful players for a team looking to dominate possession. And Bruno is a horrible captain. Not any more maturity than a petulant teenager.

As much as I have faith in INEOS, I think they too will fail to realize this. Just as every manager we've had has failed to as well. 90% of people are blinded by their brilliant moments and status, and can't see how genuinely awful they are at being composed and controlled on the ball.

Maybe in 3-4 years, when both Bruno and Rashford are getting quite old, will we be so lucky as to get rid of them. Too bad that they will be worth nothing in the market by then.
We’ll probably have replaced them with other overly hyped up face of the face stars by then.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
By far our biggest problems. Some people still can't see that our historically bad offense is directly due to these two guys who it runs through. This is without mentioning their loser mentality which surely affects the rest of the dressing room. Sure they might not be the worst players on the team but replacing them with good players with the right attitude will improve our team more than any other change

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
By far our biggest problems. Some people still can't see that our historically bad offense is directly due to these two guys who it runs through. This is without mentioning their loser mentality which surely affects the rest of the dressing room. Sure they might not be the worst players on the team but replacing them with good players with the right attitude will improve our team more than any other change
I can’t agree with that. A decent manager could get them flying. They scored a shit load under ole compared to how they’re being asked to play these days.
There’s way worse problems than these two players

Last edited:

Dannn411

As I've been saying since the season started, BOTH these guys need to be sold or at best, they should be permanent bench players.They will never lead teams that win anything serious. Very inconsistent and undisciplined.

clarkydaz

I can’t agree with that. A decent manager could get them flying. They scored a shit load under ole compared to how they’re being asked to play these days.
There’s way worse problems than these two players
Who was manager last season when someone was playing for a big contract?

mintyred

I feel like Bruno at this point is overheated. He's criticised for some random things, but Rashford is a clear problem when it comes to off-the-ball work. Bruno just needs to be coached properly instead of having managers build around him.

Telsim

People keep pointing to Arsenal and their success, but what Arsenal did was to ruthlessly dispose of players, big and small, who didn't fit their vision. Here they are fanatically protected from both club and fans.

We are not going anywhere while Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes remain at the club, nevermind as the main men. A kick-and-run merchant, who can't run anymore, and a player who is the antithesis of control.

Red00012

Part of the problem is Ten Hag not having the balls to take his captain off when he’s shite

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Bruno has played way, WAY to much and badly needs a rest. Hes frustrating, but stats wise hes consistently been one of the best no 10's in Europe so no hes not a problem

Rashford IS a problem because his ridicolous form swings where his top level is truly world class and his bottom level is not even Championship quality

Malons

Bruno has played way, WAY to much and badly needs a rest. Hes frustrating, but stats wise hes consistently been one of the best no 10's in Europe so no hes not a problem

Rashford IS a problem because his ridicolous form swings where his top level is truly world class and his bottom level is not even Championship quality
"Stats wise" is also the problem to be honest and the people who think reading stats means the fact they just saw someone play car crash football doesn't matter because a stat reveals played more key passes than any other Virgo, Libra or Sagittarius on the pitch over 27.

redNATION

Unfortunately romanticism is a huge problem with our club.

A local lady that fed hungry children and had a few decent seasons is celebrated while it's evident that he's simply not that good. He's amazing at sprinting onto a ball and shooting but that's it.

Bruno had an excellent season and a half. But it was mostly penalties and playing in empty stadiums.
I know we’re criticising him but that’s literally below the belt :lol: