Are Spurs the dirtiest club in the league?

Decomposing In Paris

Ah ok so we can just ignore this then? Sorry.
Poch came out and apologised after the game. Your team set the tone. I'm not going to defend a bad tackle, but there was more than one of those from Spurs today. If this was a Premier League game Alli & Sissoko would have seen red before this, and that I'm sure you'll agree would have changed the game. You have applied an assumed motive to the tackle by Pereira, if that same approach was taken to the stamp he'd be deserving of more than just a 3 game ban. I have a lot of respect for Spurs as a club, and Poch as a manager... but today they weren't as fit as us and played dirty.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I didn't say anything was ok. I said Dele Alli doesn't belong in any conversation including Roy Keane and Vidic.

They were men who yes, occasionally stepped over the line inexcusably. Alli is an abnoxious little shit who thinks he's a god. All fur coat and no knickers I'm afraid, just like his club.
:lol:

Yeah like @balaks says you've basically just repeated yourself. They were total cnuts but they did their cnutery with a faux hard man attitude and could take hits back, so they're alright.

The fact is any player who goes out to hurt their opponent is scum. Keane tried to end a career and was a violent shitbag, he did worse than Alli ever has. But you like Keane because he was in your corner, same with all fans. The bloke stood over an injured player and gave him shit to his face after a horrible tackle, and you're trying to make out he's some sort of shining example of real manhood. It's ludicrous.

And yeah, Alli is a little shitbag. I don't like some of what he does and if I wasn't a Spurs fan I'd hate his guts. But the idea that somehow being a 'coward' (it's sport, not war) is worse than being violent and nasty on the football pitch and deliberately trying to hurt people is fecking stupid. There have been far worse, more dangerous characters in football than Alli.

redmanc

When you watch your team mates get brought/hacked down unfairly over and over, theres only so much shit you take before you give it back, really couldnt give two fecks what the spurs fans are crying about or whats on twitter, this happens in football if the ref, captain or team manager doesnt sort out first, they didnt so Pereira went in hard to give them a bit back, i'm more than fine with it and play to a similar rule every weekend.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Poch came out and apologised after the game. Your team set the tone. I'm not going to defend a bad tackle, but there was more than one of those from Spurs today. If this was a Premier League game Alli & Sissoko would have seen red before this, and that I'm sure you'll agree would have changed the game. You have applied an assumed motive to the tackle by Pereira, if that same approach was taken to the stamp he'd be deserving of more than just a 3 game ban. I have a lot of respect for Spurs as a club, and Poch as a manager... but today they weren't as fit as us and played dirty.
I don't think any of our fans will deny that. We got very carried away for a pre season gameand there were a couple of stupid incidents .. like you say, our own manager has come out and said it's out of order.

But as usual the reaction is OTT and incredibly holier than thou. We're the most thuggish team ever and all the fair play tables lie because we're the pantomine villain at getting away with it all. It's stupid.

Red_Beans

When a manager has to apologise for his players in a pre-season friendly

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
true
But Spurs were doing that from the first minute. Andreas was reacting in frustration. Anyway i like the way he was being as aggressive as Suprs
So I've heard. I like my team to show some fight, so I'm fine with that.

Remember the other year when Mark Noble lifted Hererra off the pitch with little resistance from any United players? Basically I want us to show the exact opposite mentality this season. If that means a few meaty tackles and cards then fine.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Well done missing the point.
Sorry mate, I was just making a general comment about the tackle, didn't actually intend to reply to you.

For what it's worth, it sounds like Spurs were the ones going over the line. Pleased to see some of our players decide to step up and dish it out themselves, anyway.

Charlie Foley

The contact was minimal, Kane throws himself all over every chance he gets.
I’m not talking about whether there was contact. @balaks said it was two footed and it’s quite clearly nonsense to suggest that. Pereira has one foot which he challenges with and the other is tucked behind him with his knee bent

RyRy11

The thread bump was reactionary to the stamp. There's no one team in the league that plays dirty, you cant get away with it in modern football.

bucky

Sorry mate, I was just making a general comment about the tackle, didn't actually intend to reply to you.

For what it's worth, it sounds like Spurs were the ones going over the line. Pleased to see some of our players decide to step up and dish it out themselves, anyway.
Apologies for my cynicism then. Misunderstood your tone.

That was my point, Pereira's tackle was a reaction to the recklessness of the Spurs players and the referee's inconsistency.

caid

I'd say they're dirtier than most tbh.
City probably cheat and foul more often but they're more snide than dirty, they'll trip someone up, they wont clean them out with a 2 footed challenge. Were more crap than dirty, if Rojo, Fellaini or Hererra were still here or playing it'd be another story. They dont so most of our fouls are due to Shaw not wanting to run after people. Arsenal wish they were dirty (Xhaka is pretty dirty tbf). Liverpool have lost most of their shithousery since skrtel left. Chelsea are cynical, diving, cheats but not particularly dirty.
Alli has to be one of the dirtiest cnuts in the league and Dier is a prick too. Poch teams seem to walk a fine line between tough and dirty in general and them two push you way over the line imo.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I’m not talking about whether there was contact. @balaks said it was two footed and it’s quite clearly nonsense to suggest that. Pereira has one foot which he challenges with and the other is tucked behind him with his knee bent
I agree of course. I was saying in addition to that.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Fair play table means nothing if they don't get sent off or even booked, like today. Not a great example.
Like I've already said, if you're going to disregard the fair play table then you are left with explaining it all away by pointing at poor match officials making bad decisions - in favour of Spurs and against United - across 74 games per season (36 games each for both teams, plus the 2 games when United play Spurs). And then repeating this explanation across the last 3 seasons.

Such an explanation lacks credibility.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Your manager apologised for your dirty antics, in a fecking friendly :lol:
I look forward to Ole apologising for United coming 2nd from bottom last season in the fair play table.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Like I've already said, if you're going to disregard the fair play table then you are left with explaining it all away by pointing at poor match officials making bad decisions - in favour of Spurs and against United - across 74 games per season (36 games each for both teams, plus the 2 games when United play Spurs). And then repeating this explanation across the last 3 seasons.

Such an explanation lacks credibility.
The point made was perfectly valid. You get away with a lot of shithousery which is not reflected in official stats because, like I said, you get away with it. You won't get a peer reviewed scientific study on this topic, so what you go by is what people observe. I hereby commission you to do a survey of randomly selected fans of top 6 clubs asking which team is the most cynical in terms of fouling. My bet is on Spurs, by a distance.

passing-wind

Spurs showed more passion in this pre season game then what they did in the champions league finals.

I don't mind aggression in games because football especially in Europe is too soft. I don't believe it's fair to intentionally injure players but none of us complained when Keane stuck it on the opposition, he was praised for it. It's what the game lacks.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The point made was perfectly valid. You get away with a lot of shithousery which is not reflected in official stats because, like I said, you get away with it. You won't get a peer reviewed scientific study on this topic, so what you go by is what people observe. I hereby commission you to do a survey of randomly selected fans of top 6 clubs asking which team is the most cynical in terms of fouling. My bet is on Spurs, by a distance.
And who are the people who do the observing, close-up, every match, are trained to do so, and are paid to do it as best they can? They're called match officials.

And these match officials judged United to be 2nd bottom of the fair play stakes across 38 games lasts season, and judged them to be way less fair a team than Spurs.

But of course, they all somehow conspired against United and treated Spurs with favours :houllier:

And who are the people who do the observing, close-up, every match, are trained to do so, and are paid to do it as best they can? They're called match officials.

And these match officials judged United to be 2nd bottom of the fair play stakes across 38 games lasts season, and judged them to be way less fair a team than Spurs.

But of course, they all somehow conspired against United and treated Spurs with favours :houllier:
What a load of bolloxks mate. Just totting up red and yellow carts should not be conflated to how much a team fouls. Such a comparison would be grossly skewed if a team has red cards for deliberate handball for example - not an offence you would consider to be ‘dirty’ - which I believe is the accusation being made.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Oh mate, I'm sure if we're talking fouls per se, then we might well have fouled teams a lot more than you lot. But if we're talking nasty fouls there is no comparison. I honestly don't believe you do not see that yourself. We did have a player who dished out those fouls a lot, in Fellaini. And Rojo is a nutcase but he hardly ever plays. Bailly is rash as fook, but same with him, hardly plays, hardly stays fit. I don't fail to see their dirtiness or misguided aggression just because they play for my club. Whereas with Spurs it seems to be part of the manager's instructions to go in hard (I'm not saying "to injure") and bruise up the opposition.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
When a manager is having to apologise for the behaviour of his own players that's not really a good sign.

I thought the first Ali tackle was unlucky as he slipped but then instead of doing what any normal player would do and apologising or just getting on with it, he had to put on his insecure hard man act and it all stemmed from there. He behaves like an 8 year old...a stupid one.

I just think they're a team that will never learn. They showed they don't know how to react or behave like winners in that Chelsea game some 4 years back, and they are still doing exactly the same thing. If you can't get your shit together in a pre-season game then it's not going to happen in a pressure game at the end of the season. There is a reason why every other top six side has won trophies while they never really come that close.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Spurs fans, you're own manager had to come out and apologize for your disgusting behaviour today. You really are a weird bunch. :lol:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Dele Alli, Lamela, Dier and Sissoko. That is a lot of players to have in one team if they all have a tendency to go full-on maniac. I think it is hard to argue against the notion that Spurs are being coached into being a cynical and dirty team. You could argue these particular players behaviour is infectious and I would listen to that argument, but any other argument seems to be flawed. Dry stats on the intention behind a players action is not a thing.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Any Spurs fan trying to justify Sissoko's stamp on James needs to give their fecking head a wobble. It was a pre-season game and your players acted like thugs. Listen to your own manager and stop embarrassing yourselves.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Ah ok so we can just ignore this then? Sorry.
Absolute joke that you think they’re even comparable. Pereira’s tackle in the context of the play was what you’d expect, the ball got away from him and he went in for the tackle - and actually won the fecking challenge. It’s completely expecting in a game of professional football, friendly or not. A stamp just isn’t.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
When a manager is having to apologise for the behaviour of his own players that's not really a good sign.

I thought the first Ali tackle was unlucky as he slipped but then instead of doing what any normal player would do and apologising or just getting on with it, he had to put on his insecure hard man act and it all stemmed from there. He behaves like an 8 year old...a stupid one.

I just think they're a team that will never learn. They showed they don't know how to react or behave like winners in that Chelsea game some 4 years back, and they are still doing exactly the same thing. If you can't get your shit together in a pre-season game then it's not going to happen in a pressure game at the end of the season. There is a reason why every other top six side has won trophies while they never really come that close.
Yeah, Alli's reaction there was off. Fair enough he slipped, but then he went full bravado. The disappointing thing there for me was that Pereira ran over to back up Greenwood and Pogba just stood by like a goose. I prefer it when they look after each other.

RedNed77

Ultimately, I hope our lads learned from it. Andreas looked like he did.

Kostov

They are a dirty bunch. I was holding on for Rojo breaking that cnut Alli in two by halftime, but he’s useless in that department as well.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm against the stamp. Especially when it's done in pre season.

CL finalist acting like a small town club with a bunch of "hard" wannabe cnuts. Forever a Spurs.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Alli's going to have it given back to him someday and while I don't wish serious injury on anyone I'm not going to be too bothered if he has an extended stay on the sidelines.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Using fair play table :lol:

As if mistimed tackle is same as cnutish tackle Alli gets away with or Kane did on Sterling.

You don't get yellow for only thug play. You get for preventing counter too and Shaw got dozens of them.

Last edited: