Are Spurs the dirtiest club in the league?

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Because of Son? Most neutrals on BBC saying its not a red and just terrible luck for Gomez. I haven't seen it myself but not sure I want to see a replay!
Its clearly a red. Cynical tackle from behind is a yellow, but if results in a leg break it has to be a red.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Its clearly a red. Cynical tackle from behind is a yellow, but if results in a leg break it has to be a red.
So if someone tugs someone's shirt, which causes them to fall over and they break their leg in the process, is that a red card?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So because he broke is leg its a red, but if a similar challenge happens in another game and doesn't break a leg, it's a yellow? Doesn't sound right.

So if someone tugs someone's shirt, which causes them to fall over and they break their leg in the process, is that a red card?
Or this example. It's better :lol:

mu4c_20le

Because of Son? Most neutrals on BBC saying its not a red and just terrible luck for Gomez. I haven't seen it myself but not sure I want to see a replay!
I feel for him as his reaction was genuine, but that seemed like a revenge tackle and he was diving all day before the goal.

Got2be

What are you on about?

Atkinson has been dodgy all season. The guy drew som crazy lines yesterday (Firmino offside) and today hes had an utterly crap game. The worst ref in Europe by a mile

HJ12

We will appeal the red and it will be overturned.
Agreed. Ref was about to show a yellow as well (which I think would've been correct), but then saw the leg hanging and changed it to a red. It looked like it was the collision with Aurier that caused the break too, not the Son tackle.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We will appeal the red and it will be overturned.
Doesn't look like it, PL have said:

"The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."

So they'll probably uphold it. Though by that justification every slide tackle should be a red.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Doesn't look like it, PL have said:

"The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."

So they'll probably uphold it. Though by that justification every slide tackle should be a red.
That Williams kid should've seen red for the same offence when he suplexed CHO into the stands last week.

Matt.H

Never a red. Was really unlucky for Gomez when he was falling. I am sure it will be overturned. Hope for speedy recovery Gomez! And for Son and Aurier too... they looked devastated after the injury

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
When you are tackling you are taking the risk of injurying somone. Not when you are tugging a shirt come on..

If you drive over the red light, you are taking the risk of a car accident. If you dont create an accident you just get a small ticket, but if you do crash into someone, you go to jail. Not hard to understand

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Never a red in a million years, see worse challenges than that week in week out. NDombele's clumsy tackle earlier in the game was worse. Son didnt even break his leg it's his off balance collision with the other Spurs player? Aurier maybe it was? Gomes was still running for a couple strieds after the Son challenge, but was on his way down and off balance.

People acting like Son goes flying in studs up shin height :lol:

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
How is that not a red? Son was clearly aggrieved and went straight through the back of Gomes, causing his collision with Aurier.

Schneckerl

That's not a red card offense. The injury was caused by really bad luck and not by the tackle.

Nick7

Aurier was more dangerous than Son. He fecking flew into that tackle.

El Zoido

Never a red in a million years, see worse challenges than that week in week out. NDombele's clumsy tackle earlier in the game was worse. Son didnt even break his leg it's his off balance collision with the other Spurs player? Aurier maybe it was? Gomes was still running for a couple strieds after the Son challenge, but was on his way down and off balance.

People acting like Son goes flying in studs up shin height :lol:
Yup, there’s many challenges worse than in every game, every league, every day. It’s a freak accident that someone got badly injured out of it. Get some perspective people. If this is a red then Utd should have had 5 players sent off yesterday. Can recall tackles worse than this yesterday from Young, AWB, Lindelof, and McTominay. If this is a red then every game would end with 5 players left on either side.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
The ignorance of people here..

Why is a tackle a yellow card, and a normal upper body foul not a card?

Because the card means = You tackled, that is a dangerous challenge and presents a higher risk of injury. Thankfully no injury happened, so here's your card.

But. If you take the risk AND it results in a fracture, its a red. How HARD is it to understand?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
How is that not a red? Son was clearly aggrieved and went straight through the back of Gomes, causing his collision with Aurier.
Having watched again agree, definitely a red.

Hope Gomes recovers ok. Awful, awful injury.

diarm

Spurs are a dirty team but Son is not a dirty player. Todays was a run of the mill foul with a horrible and unfortunate outcome.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

Because the card means = You tackled, that is a dangerous challenge and presents a higher risk of injury. Thankfully no injury happened, so here's your card.

But. If you take the risk AND it results in a fracture, its a red. How HARD is it to understand?
Because whether a challenge results in an injury or not is not relevant to adjudicating whether a card is being produced. Challenging for a header and accidentally break someones nose with your arm, red card, someone got injured. Or you pull someones shirt and they slip and fracture their ankle, red card for a shirt tug?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

You might wanna re-think this.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Wait. Is that it ? Yeah not a red card.

lsd

The Oracle
Spurs are a dirty team but Son is not a dirty player. Todays was a run of the mill foul with a horrible and unfortunate outcome.

He should have been red carded for his dive alone

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's doing this kind of fouls, he dives a lot. He's a dirty player.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
If they started giving out reds for that games would be ending with 6 players on the pitch. NDombele's tackle from earlier in the match was worse.

diarm

He's doing this kind of fouls, he dives a lot. He's a dirty player.
What kind of fouls? The ones where he slides in fairly innocuously and the opponent falls into another arriving player at the wrong angle and breaks his ankle? I reckon I'd have noticed that happening too often.

He's a player we'd fecking love if he was ours and his being tenacious doesn't make him a dirty player. I'm usually first off the rank to have a pop at Spurs but throwing the book at a lad because of an unfortunate outcome is bullshit for me.

Josep Dowling

Not a red card tackle for me but 100% a shithouse way to bring a player down on the break with zero chance of winning the ball.
It’s what Spurs, City and Liverpool all do very well. It’s major part of the managers tactics. Watch any game and it’s the same thing. Stopping a counter attack like that should bring a bigger punishment than a yellow imo.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Son is not a dirty player for fecks sake. What a weird bump considering the incident in question

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It’s what Spurs, City and Liverpool all do very well. It’s major part of the managers tactics. Watch any game and it’s the same thing. Stopping a counter attack like that should bring a bigger punishment than a yellow imo.
I agree. A clear "tactical foul" (I hate that term) where there is no chance of getting the ball should be a red card.

There would be a few weeks of madness but teams would soon stop if the refs had the guts to send off the anti-football cheaters (lets be honest, that's what it is).

arthurka

Well the rule is simple enough and the PL explained it.

cjj

Supports
Spurs

It's nothing to do with the PL - the PGMO are an entirely separate body.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sanchez was fouling all over the place this evening but somehow had Fernandinho levels of invincibility. Son isn't a dirty player but his tackle was a poor one and was not trying to get the ball at all, he was trying to take the player out. It's nasty for him that it resulted in Gomes landing awkwardly and having a horrific injury but hopefully it teaches him not to do it.

I can see both sides for the argument in terms of a yellow or red. If it was a yellow I wouldn't have complained but I see why the ref would give it as a red also.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

What even is this? You could make a solid case that any challenge is 'endangering a players safety'.