Are Spurs the dirtiest club in the league?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's a stone wall red. No matter of the injury outcome, it's a cynical, rash, uncontrolled challenge which endangered an opponent, which by the letter of the law is a red card.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What kind of fouls? The ones where he slides in fairly innocuously and the opponent falls into another arriving player at the wrong angle and breaks his ankle? I reckon I'd have noticed that happening too often.

He's a player we'd fecking love if he was ours and his being tenacious doesn't make him a dirty player. I'm usually first off the rank to have a pop at Spurs but throwing the book at a lad because of an unfortunate outcome is bullshit for me.
So? That's got nothing to do with being dirty. Diving is dirty play and he does a lot of it. He also wastes time when it suits him. That's dirty. As for the tackle, it was a tackle from behind into the standing leg with the ball not being close. Absolutely a dirty tackle.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Son did a tackle you see every game. It's a mistake to do it behind the player but it wasn't malicious.

With that said, I'm physically sick since thid accident.

LDUred

First of all, it's hard to analyse because there isn't much footage of the tackle.

The first challenge from Son looks sneaky because there is no attempt to play the ball. His studs might have raked down Gomes' ligaments.

It was the second challenge from Aurier that caused the snap. He was overly committed to the tackle and couldn't pull out. His weight lands on the player's lower leg and Aurier's momentum forces Gomes' leg it into an unnatural position.

Both players are equally responsible, but I don't see any malicious intent from either to cause a serious injury.

diarm

So? That's got nothing to do with being dirty. Diving is dirty play and he does a lot of it. He also wastes time when it suits him. That's dirty. As for the tackle, it was a tackle from behind into the standing leg with the ball not being close. Absolutely a dirty tackle.
Look you've your opinion and you're welcome to it. I'm not sure why you're so adamant I have to share it?

I see Son play regularly and in my opinion, he's not a dirty player. I don't think he dives as much as you're making out and I don't think that was a dirty tackle today. It was a tackle from behind and you could say it was cynical, but it wasn't what I would consider to be dirty or malicious.

I could easily rattle off 6 or 7 dirty Spurs players but I just don't think he's one of them. One horrific and really unlucky injury doesn't change that.

Rafaeldagold

Spurs are dirty in general but feel for Son. He’s a likeable guy & his foul was just a standard one you see in the game. He’s clearly cut up about it

lysglimt

Scout
Red for me - he has no chance of taking the ball he just smashes into Gomes from behind. It's not a particularly ugly tackle - but it's clearly a retaliation

lysglimt

Scout
What even is this? You could make a solid case that any challenge is 'endangering a players safety'.
Yeah you could - but there is a difference between making an honest attempt to take the ball and plowing someone down from behind with no chance of getting the ball

Treble

Spurs are tolerated by the referees because of the English stars they have. Has been the case for years, which has made them dirty indeed.

lysglimt

Scout
Didn’t the ref book Son first and then put up the red card? Seemed like he was in two minds himself!
He issued a yellow and changed it to red when he saw the extent of the injury. Which according to the Premier League is the correct interpretation of the rules.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Look you've your opinion and you're welcome to it. I'm not sure why you're so adamant I have to share it?

I see Son play regularly and in my opinion, he's not a dirty player. I don't think he dives as much as you're making out and I don't think that was a dirty tackle today. It was a tackle from behind and you could say it was cynical, but it wasn't what I would consider to be dirty or malicious.

I could easily rattle off 6 or 7 dirty Spurs players but I just don't think he's one of them. One horrific and really unlucky injury doesn't change that.
I'm adamant that you have to share it? Do you have exclusivity on replying? You said you didn't find him dirty, I responded with how I see him and what I find dirty. You're welcome to think what you want, I just figured to expand on my point as I wasn't sure you would equate diving to being dirty.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bump doesn't make sense
It kind of does. The tackle itself was completely needless. He comes in from behind and takes the guy out. Obviously not trying to injure him but it's a deliberate foul and a dangerous tackle. There's the whole injury made it seem worse argument, but my reaction to the initial tackle was literally to say "fecking hell that was a bad challenge" and that was before realising it had caused any injury.

These things happen far too often with them. You have teams who kick people or get involved in petty incidents but with Spurs the go to always seems to be nasty tackles. They've been in the spotlight more than once before. Pochettino has already had to apologise publicly for his team's behaviour in a pre-season game this year.

It's almost like Spurs have made it into a culture. If you're in a bad mood or upset how things are going, just fly into opposition players. It isn't on Son. There's probably 10+ Spurs players who've made similar tackles, most of them multiple times. It's on Pochettino and the officials for not making it clear it's not acceptable. This should never have gone beyond that game at Stamford Bridge a few years back where both Clattenberg and the FA refused to take the action they should have.

Not saying it's responsible for the injury today but maybe if the Spurs players had it clear in their minds that they should have more regard for opposition player's safety, Son thinks twice about flying in to tackle someone from behind who's already running at speed.

thepolice123

The ignorance of people here..

Why is a tackle a yellow card, and a normal upper body foul not a card?

Because the card means = You tackled, that is a dangerous challenge and presents a higher risk of injury. Thankfully no injury happened, so here's your card.

But. If you take the risk AND it results in a fracture, its a red. How HARD is it to understand?
Except that this is not traffic rules.

Cards are not given based on severity of injury. They are given based on the risk of injury and intent to hurt.

If I tackle someone cleanly with no malicious intent, got the the ball but the followup broke his leg. Am I liable to be sent off?

Decomposing In Paris

Except that this is not traffic rules.

Cards are not given based on severity of injury. They are given based on the risk of injury and intent to hurt.

If I tackle someone cleanly with no malicious intent, got the the ball but the followup broke his leg. Am I liable to be sent off?
It seemed to be fairly widely accepted that Cooks' tackle on Rashford at the weekend was yellow on the basis that Rashford took evasive action. So I don't think it's as black & white as that.

diarm

I'm adamant that you have to share it? Do you have exclusivity on replying? You said you didn't find him dirty, I responded with how I see him and what I find dirty. You're welcome to think what you want, I just figured to expand on my point as I wasn't sure you would equate diving to being dirty.
Yeah fair enough. I was having the same discussion somewhere else at the same time so you probably took the brunt of me not being able to multitask!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Not a red card tackle for me but 100% a shithouse way to bring a player down on the break with zero chance of winning the ball.
Any time you dive into a challenge from behind with your studs showing, you run the risk of causing a serious injury to your opponent.

That's as clear a red card as they come for me. On what grounds could Spurs appeal the decision?

Rafaeldagold

Sons was never a red..you can’t send someone off because their tackle unfortunately leads to a serious injury.

It was a foul, maybe a yellow. Nothing more.

Rafaeldagold

Any time you dive into a challenge from behind with your studs showing, you run the risk of causing a serious injury to your opponent.

That's as clear a red card as they come for me. On what grounds could Spurs appeal the decision?
That’s never a red come on. It’s ac yellow at most. You can’t upgrade a foul because an unfortunate injury comes from it. You need to treat fouls & tackles the same, & not upgrade it to a red because someone gets injured

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sons was never a red..you can’t send someone off because their tackle unfortunately leads to a serious injury.

It was a foul, maybe a yellow. Nothing more.
He wasn't sent off for the resulting injury, he was sent off for something along the lines of reckless endangerment.

jungledrums

Because the card means = You tackled, that is a dangerous challenge and presents a higher risk of injury. Thankfully no injury happened, so here's your card.

But. If you take the risk AND it results in a fracture, its a red. How HARD is it to understand?
So you require an on-field diagnosis before you can determine the severity of the penalty?

Rafaeldagold

He wasn't sent off for the resulting injury, he was sent off for something along the lines of reckless endangerment.
I don’t buy that. They changed it after Gomes got injured. They wouldn’t have upgraded it to a red if he hadn’t.

it’s never in a million years a red & if it happened to United I’d be fuming

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don’t buy that. They changed it after Gomes got injured. They wouldn’t have upgraded it to a red if he hadn’t.

it’s never in a million years a red & if it happened to United I’d be fuming
This is a matter of opinion.

Let me ask you this, on what grounds do you think Spurs could appeal the decision?

Rafaeldagold

Let me ask you this, on what grounds do you think Spurs could appeal the decision?
Because if you look at the tackle in isolation (as you should) it’s barely a yellow. No way is it dangerous or anything. Cynical perhaps but yeh it’s a yellow.

mu4c_20le

That’s never a red come on. It’s ac yellow at most. You can’t upgrade a foul because an unfortunate injury comes from it. You need to treat fouls & tackles the same, & not upgrade it to a red because someone gets injured
I think if you look at the sequence of events, then the ref's decision might be more understandable. Just before that happened, Gomes elbowed Son in the face, which caused him to stay down for a couple of minutes and prompted a VAR review for a red card. Then the next minute he's chasing him down and lunging at him from behind. The challenge itself is never a red but in this case I wouldn't call it harsh, because of the retaliation.

Madthinker

Cheers, Son's crying. Nice one.

thepolice123

It seemed to be fairly widely accepted that Cooks' tackle on Rashford at the weekend was yellow on the basis that Rashford took evasive action. So I don't think it's as black & white as that.
If he hurt Rashford he would have been sent off but that is where inconsistency in the rules come in because that was a red card offence anyday.

But I get your point, its more of combination of factors. Judging fouls is also human perception thing, thats why players milk it all the time.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Son only threw Gomes off balance, Aurier is the one to blame for the injury. I hope this is closely reviewed by a commission and he gets what he deserves. Stupid player.

diarm

On the grounds that the referee decided upon a yellow card, and then changed his mind to a red card upon inspection of the severity of the injury. This despite the fact that the injury was caused in the end by Aurier.

Had Aurier not come in as he did, the injury would never have happened and the yellow card would have been shown to Son and accepted by literally everyone. To retrospectively change a yellow card to a red card because of the actions of a third player is unfair, regardless of the final outcome.

cyberman

On the grounds that the referee decided upon a yellow card, and then changed his mind to a red card upon inspection of the severity of the injury. This despite the fact that the injury was caused in the end by Aurier.

Had Aurier not come in as he did, the injury would never have happened and the yellow card would have been shown to Son and accepted by literally everyone. To retrospectively change a yellow card to a red card because of the actions of a third player is unfair, regardless of the final outcome.
Thats not how it works though

base615

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Son only threw Gomes off balance, Aurier is the one to blame for the injury. I hope this is closely reviewed by a commission and he gets what he deserves. Stupid player.
as a Spurs fan I can assure you there are more than a few of us hoping this happens and results in a season long ban for Aurier.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Eugh, just saw the highlights. If Pochettino ends up managing United I hope he holds off instructing his players to be violent.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
as a Spurs fan I can assure you there are more than a few of us hoping this happens and results in a season long ban for Aurier.
As a PSG fan, i can totally relate... His Periscope video is still famous here...

diarm

Thats not how it works though
The appeals process? Yeah I don't think they'll be successful in an appeal - not with the severity of the injury incurred. That doesn't make it the right decision for me.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I haven’t seen it properly to judge whether it’s a red or not. But sending a player off balance and out of control into a collision with another player is reckless. I have little sympathy for anyone who receives a red in such a scenario.

Tarrou

I highly doubt there is anything like this in the rules

Tarrou

I think it's a yellow, but a borderline red and he can't really complain given he comes in from behind with no chance of getting the ball.

The reason I'd lean towards yellow is there isn't much force in the challenge, it's almost as if he changed his mind half way through

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Not a red. Bad luck. Horrible scenes. Move on.