g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Argentina NT | WC Discussion

DarkXaero

Good ol' football fans having "holier than thou" battles in this thread :lol:

Happy for Argentina, they were the better team tonight.

Stadjer

Anyone can beat anyone at these stages. You wake up with the wrong foot and you're out.

You're saying the referee was fovouring us when he was clearly an idiot for both sides, the 10 min add was hilarious. Messi said many things about him after the game, he said Argentina was scared of him, he knows Lahoz pretty well.
He was mostly nice to Messi but other than that he was an idiot for both sides. Referee loved blowing his whistle and booking people. Even during that Paredes situation he must have blown his whistle atleast 30 times. :lol: He totally lost control.

What is the big issue with the extra time though? Lots of pretend injuries, a penalty situation, subs and little fights. That all adds up to 10m fairly easy i would imagine. A lot of extra time happened a lot during the first week of this WC. Lately the referees have gone back to a bit less extra time so in that sense the 10m did seem like a lot.

The referee was a disaster. Overall i think Argentina was the better team but we almost managed to scrape a win from a lost position. It sucks to lose on penalties in the end but so be it. We have been shit the whole WC so the loss was expected for me.

The behaviour after the game is a little bit disappointing but whatever. Should have won the game if we didnt want any gloating Argentines after the game….

AshRK

How are people coming with BS that Dutch were better than Argentina. They were poor and if not argentina brain fade in defence , this would have been over in 90 minutes. I am glad Argentina going through. Already had one negative side in croatia going through, cannot have two negative sides playing in semis.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yep 100%, it’s brilliant Imo. It’s around 520 pages long but it’s goes back to the very beginnings, it also include a good deal of Argentina politics(Football and politics in Argentina are inseparable).

It’s doesn’t just cover the national teams but also club level as well. Was recently re reading a section about Club Estudiantes playing the intercontinental cup tie against Busby United(The games included 56 fouls which included Best getting punched, Charlton need stitches and Nobby Stiles kicking the shit out of everyone).

Mentioned this before on here but Wilson talks about how Argentina ideal form of football is more like a dance, it’s about a certain rhythm, then uses the example of the tango(Which partly originated in Buenos Aires, Argentina)and when I went to watch Argentina earlier this year, it was crazy how accurate Wilson description was. The game was so different to any other football game I’ve been to.

Well worth picking up.

The weird thing I never really like Wilson articles but his book are great. Will be reading his new book on the Charlton brothers over Christmas.
Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

They're style of football is like no other and they've produced the 2 indisputable best dribbles of all time so it's always fun to see how fecking dirty they could get in their conduct.

Seij

Pleasantly surprised that they've made it through to the semifinals. Netherlands were on a 19-match unbeaten streak coming into this match.

I do wonder if this match exposed their weakness to "ping balls to giant forwards" tactic? Weghorst was really bullying their defenders since he was subbed on.

croadyman

No doubt Argies are the absolute masters of dark arts and fear whoever comes through other side of the draw will get suckered into their antics.

IFC 1905

The netherland players incluiding the one who shot the penalty going after Lautaro before he kicks it

I guess they're cheering for him, trying to be nice and respectful. I don't know why our players celebrated like that after the goal. There's no way the Netherlands did that with a bad purpose, only Argentina does that kind of things.

Pocho

The netherland players incluiding the one who shot the penalty going after Lautaro before he kicks it

I guess they're cheering for him, trying to be nice and respectful. I don't know why our players celebrated like that after the goal. There's no way the Netherlands did that with a bad purpose, only Argentina does that kind of things.
but poor dutch players.

colombianmancunian

I seriously hate Dibu Martínez. But today they were the team that proposed the most.

Its annoying how much journalists ride Messi’s dick. Just for it, I want them to crash to Croacia. That, and then being dirty cnuts.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Yeah?
Show me some pictures where Bayern players behaved like half of your team after the final whistle.
Sure

Leo Messi: “It seemed disrespectful to me, that a coach of his caliber declared like that. Van Gaal does not respect the Argentina National Team.”

Leo Messi: “I don't like people talking before games. The 19th (Weghorst) came and started to provoke us, bump into us, tell us things. Their coach was not respectful to us either.”

Leo Messi: “It seemed disrespectful to me, that a coach of his caliber declared like that. Van Gaal does not respect the Argentina National Team.”

People are acting like Argentina randomly decided to gloat when they NEVER did that any other point this World Cup. The Dutch aren’t completely innocent, obviously there was a lot of back and forth and Dutch had been talking crap all week”

same crap as neurs disrespectful “we know how to handle Messi” back in 2015

GinobiliTheGOAT

And here is the Messi fanboy always trying to make every discussion about Messi. The thread is about Argentina NT and overall they don't look great.
ah, and you’re the Lewandowski fanboy give it a rest. You’re just bitter. 99% of your posts are just slating Messi or Argentina over the dumbest things. Stick to a Lewandowski who can’t handle big matches anymore

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
ah, and you’re the Lewandowski fanboy give it a rest. You’re just bitter. 99% of your posts are just slating Messi or Argentina over the dumbest things. Stick to a Lewandowski who can’t handle big matches anymore
I am many things but a Lewa fanboy :lol:
I like Maguire and Phil Jones, get your facts straight

GinobiliTheGOAT

@ayushreddevil9

thekman

Supports
Juventus
what a moronic take. Argentina were comfortably the better side, Messi gets the yellow for the handball he obviously acts different the rest of the way to avoid a second.

Dutch were absolute rubbish today. Anti football crap. They deserved to go home.
Since when is playing the long ball and utilising height advantage anti-football? The beauty of the game is the different ways you can incorporate skill-sets to change the outcome of matches. Holland were being outplayed and found a way to use Argentina's weakness against them. Did you want them to just put their heads down and concede that they weren't good enough. Their comeback was awesome.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Since when is playing the long ball and utilising height advantage anti-football? The beauty of the game is the different ways you can incorporate skill-sets to change the outcome of matches. Holland were being outplayed and found a way to use Argentina's weakness against them. Did you want them to just put their heads down and concede that they weren't good enough. Their comeback was awesome.
Agreed, I didn't feel what they did was anything close to anti-football.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club

GinobiliTheGOAT

They literally just hoofed it up the pitch over and over and over and over and over.

hey, it worked for a while, but they were
Playing some absolutely dire football. Argentina dominated 75% of that match and credit to the Dutch for fighting back. But Argentina were the team that absolutely deserved to go through based on the performance of both teams

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Messi bitching about Van Gaal after the match saying he talked too much. Feck it's so sad we didnt send this cnut home for good.
You're not exactly saints either and certainly have a nasty streak. Add to that your usual arrogance especially from your supporters.

Netherlands are a great footballing nation, always had wonderful players and should have won at least one WC, but I'm never sad when I see them dumped out.

Real Name

Always recommend Jonathan Wilson book - Angels With Dirty Faces.

Today match was a perfect example of the history of Argentina football, the inner battle between trying to play good attacking football and wanting to just shit house for 90 minutes. The dependence on a demi god player.

It’s team that can produce moments of beautiful football that has a compelling storyline but also full of complete arseholes.

Still my favourite team and hope they win it.
Fantastic book. Read it 2 times.

Real Name

Complete opposite to Brazil Croatia penalty shootout. Both teams respectful to the other and lots of hugging after the game.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Pleasantly surprised that they've made it through to the semifinals. Netherlands were on a 19-match unbeaten streak coming into this match.

I do wonder if this match exposed their weakness to "ping balls to giant forwards" tactic? Weghorst was really bullying their defenders since he was subbed on.
I agree. I had said that it would feel like a miracle, if they got that far. They started the tournament very badly and they gradually found their footing. They're not anything special (but, tbh, who is in this WC?), but they managed to strike a good balance between a team carried by Messi and a team that does all it can to help Messi do his thing. I also believe that winning the Copa America in Brazil lifted a huge burden off their shoulders.

I feel that LvG should be given credit for not giving up and throwing everything at them to turn the game around. But he was forced to do so because Scaloni had read the game very well this time. He knew that the Dutch would hit them in transition, that they would use the central channels to do it and that they would target Messi as the weak link in Argentina's defensive transition. So, he went with three at the back, he shut up shop in the middle and he basically had de Paul operating as Messi's bodyguard.

People like to talk about the shithousery, but this has become this team's biggest strength in the tournament. They don't let you play, they hunt you down and they put tremendous pressure on the ball. Yes, they play dirty at times (and i guess there's a lot of trash-talking going on, too), but this is their way toward the trophy: To be very aggressive off the ball.

Which brings me to your observation. I think Scaloni should stop playing with 10 men behind the ball to protect a lead. It may feel like the most secure thing to do, but it removes his team's biggest asset (besides Messi) off the equation. He did it very early against Australia, too, and they almost paid the price again against a vastly inferior opponent. It's a thing they need to work on. More so, when we know that the Croatians are excellent at making the few chances they create count.

Anyway, all the talk should be about THAT assist. On a podcast we have here, they showed a still frame (from an angle facing the Dutch goal) just before Messi hit the ball. You shouldn't be able to see that pass and you shouldn't be able to play that pass, either. It defies logic. But that's how you create a clear-cut chance with one hit of the ball in a 3v6 situation. And with this pass he surpassed Diego as the player who has created the most chances in the history of WCs. And it's moments like this when i realize how much i am going to miss him and what a privilege it has been to have watched his career in its entirety.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's incredible to see a dressing room driven almost entirely by emotion. After every match Argentina's squad is so high or low. There's no middle ground. It's just pure passion (and Messi) carrying them through games. I worry for them if they get knocked out. Could see some nervous breakdowns. I do wonder if they can win it like this. Just feels like, at any moment, the collective psyche of the team could snap.

tarc

I always felt that Messi is technically better than Maradona, but lacks in toughness, aggressiveness and leadership. But today's game starts to change my opinion of him. The next potential hurdle would be if an opponent scores first, whether he can keep up his performance instead of lowering his head.

arnie_ni

Okay. What about Timber not getting a second yellow? What about incredible slide tackles by Argentina being penalised for no reason? What about the laughable 10 minutes added?

The ref was terrible for both teams but the Dutch at least benefited from his crazy added time.
Why do you keep saying the 10 mins was laughable. There was multiple subs there was 3 goals, there was lots of time lost with minor bust ups. That's the difference between the usual 6 7 mins and the 10. 10 in this game wasn't unreasonable