Argentina NT

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's always been every four years since 2001.

There was a special 100th birthday one in US in 2016 hence it was played 2015 and that year.

I believe they want to change it so it's played in same summer as euros so 2020 will be first new date that will start the 4 year cycle.
What's the point of having it in the same years as the Euros? I mean, actually no federation has an interest in competing for viewers of the other continent. I always found it refreshing that the Copa was in different years so you could wstch it without missing out on other games. Now I'll have to choose.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It's always been every four years since 2001.

There was a special 100th birthday one in US in 2016 hence it was played 2015 and that year.

I believe they want to change it so it's played in same summer as euros so 2020 will be first new date that will start the 4 year cycle.
Having 4 Copa Americas in 6 years would be a bit ridiculous

Charles Miller

What's the point of having it in the same years as the Euros? I mean, actually no federation has an interest in competing for viewers of the other continent. I always found it refreshing that the Copa was in different years so you could wstch it without missing out on other games. Now I'll have to choose.
This to compete with Concacaf for the North American market. And is a first step for a continental tournament - Conmebol + Concacaf.

IFC 1905

These would be the players called by Lionel Scaloni, the temporal manager while Argentina is looking for a permanent manager. Scaloni knows his role and his intention is to begin a reconstruction of the team. News is he has supposedly had a conversation with Messi where LM10 considered it was better to stay away from the NT for a while. Talking about Higuain, Aguero and Di Maria, media doesn't report Scaloni has talked to them, but although they would be considered in the future, they won't be called for these upcoming FIFA friendlies.

ARQUEROS:
Franco Armani (River), Gerónimo Rulli (Real Sociedad) y ¿Sergio Romero? (Manchester United).

DEFENSORES: Gabriel Mercado (Sevilla), Fabricio Bustos (Independiente), Germán Pezzella (Fiorentina), Alan Franco (Independiente), Ramiro Funes Mori (Villarreal), Walter Kannemann (Gremio), Leonardo Balerdi (Boca) y Nicolás Tagliafico (Ajax).

VOLANTES: Santiago Ascabíbar (Stuttgart), Leandro Paredes (Zenit), Rodrigo Battaglia (Sporting de Lisboa), Maximiliano Meza (Independiente), Giovani Lo Celso (PSG), Marcos Acuña (Sporting de Lisboa), Gonzalo Martínez (River), Franco Cervi (Benfica), Franco Vázquez (Sevilla), y ¿Matías Kranevitter? (Zenit).

DELANTEROS: Cristian Pavón (Boca), Lautaro Martínez (Inter), Paulo Dybala (Juventus), Mauro Icardi (Inter), Giovanni Simeone (Fiorentina), Matías Vargas (Vélez) y ¿Angel Correa? (Atlético de Madrid).

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
These would be the players called by Lionel Scaloni, the temporal manager while Argentina is looking for a permanent manager. Scaloni knows his role and his intention is to begin a reconstruction of the team. News is he has supposedly had a conversation with Messi where LM10 considered it was better to stay away from the NT for a while. Talking about Higuain, Aguero and Di Maria, media doesn't report Scaloni has talked to them, but although they would be considered in the future, they won't be called for these upcoming FIFA friendlies.
Stay away for a while? What does he even mean by that? Either retire or stick with the team; to go away and come back in the middle of their work and create a huge upheaval by his mere inclusion in the tactical set up is dumb and will hinder Argentina. As brilliant as Messi is, and as big of a fan of his I am, they may be better off without him anymore, especially if he has a foot out of the door already in his mind.

RedDevil@84

The team and its players are becoming a big joke. And by the looks of it, the temporary retirement bug is now getting on to other big names. Does that mean they ll stay out of the qualifiers and then announce themselves in 2022. Lame excuses to desert the NT. If you want to concentrate on your club careers, just retire.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The team and its players are becoming a big joke. And by the looks of it, the temporary retirement bug is now getting on to other big names. Does that mean they ll stay out of the qualifiers and then announce themselves in 2022. Lame excuses to desert the NT. If you want to concentrate on your club careers, just retire.
No Argentina have six friendlies planned for rest of the year so it's to give opportunities to others e.g Dybala who needs to establish himself in line up.

Think Messi and the odd other big name will then come back for March friendlies and play in build up for Copa America.

I think if Argentina flop in that tournament he'll retire for good as World cup would still be over three years away at that point.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They wouldn’t be directly competing I believe as Copa America was usually played slightly later. I remember that both tournaments were there in 2004, first Euro in June and then Copa in July.

izec

Like that list. Defense is the biggest issue, but like the forwards and some midfielders, especially Ascacibar

the_irish123

Like that list. Defense is the biggest issue, but like the forwards and some midfielders, especially Ascacibar
That list looks shocking to me, but not the managers fault, its just that they don't have good enough names.

Acuña and Salvio as defenders just show how desperate they are. Funes Mori? lol. Midfield wise they have to prey for Lo Celso to become good, but they also don't have any consolidated names. Their attacking trio Dybala-Martinez-Icardi could be good, but the rest of the team has to follow.

izec

That list looks shocking to me, but not the managers fault, its just that they don't have good enough names.

Acuña and Salvio as defenders just show how desperate they are. Funes Mori? lol. Midfield wise they have to prey for Lo Celso to become good, but they also don't have any consolidated names. Their attacking trio Dybala-Martinez-Icardi could be good, but the rest of the team has to follow.
The most important thing is they form a team and an identity. Bigger than the sum of their parts. Their defense will be bad, but the rest of the team has a lot of talent. It is a good time for them to try new players out and phase the bottlers out

IFC 1905

Final list for the upcoming friendly matches.

This is a possible first squad, with the alternatives of Bustos/Mercado, Funes Muori/ Kanemann, Ascacibar/Paredes and Acuña/Meza for me.

Footballers who play in the current Argentina's league

- Fabricio Bustos (22): I think he has the best attributes for an upcoming RB for Argentina. He has a great physique and speed with a considerable dribbling ability. His weak point at the moment is the defense.

- Alan Franco (21): The most solid project of a CB in argentine football along with Martinez Quarta from River Plate. Really quick, unbeteable in 1 vs 1, was being followed closely by Sampaoli, Atletico Madrid, Villareal and AC Milan.

- Leonel Di Placido (24) Another option for the RB, who has been the biggest surprise on the list, because the media didn't talk about him that much. He has a good technique with the ball, and his major ability is shown while attacking.

I will continue later with the other lads

- Exequiel Palacios
- Gonzalo Martinez
- Matias Vargas

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
No Messi and they are still struggling.

I really dont think he's the problem he is made out to be. This is just a woeful NT that looks even worse without him.

But I think for both their sakes, it might be time to call it a day.

Cant see Argentina winning anything for the foreseeable future.

izec

I really dont think he's the problem he is made out to be. This is just a woeful NT that looks even worse without him.

But I think for both their sakes, it might be time to call it a day.

Cant see Argentina winning anything for the foreseeable future.
Scaloni is just the interim manager from the U20. Until they get in a proper manager, i dont think they have any chance to improve. They need someone to maximse their offense, because defensively they dont have the players to win anything.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Final list for the upcoming friendly matches.

This is a possible first squad, with the alternatives of Bustos/Mercado, Funes Muori/ Kanemann, Ascacibar/Paredes and Acuña/Meza for me.

Footballers who play in the current Argentina's league

- Fabricio Bustos (22): I think he has the best attributes for an upcoming RB for Argentina. He has a great physique and speed with a considerable dribbling ability. His weak point at the moment is the defense.

- Alan Franco (21): The most solid project of a CB in argentine football along with Martinez Quarta from River Plate. Really quick, unbeteable in 1 vs 1, was being followed closely by Sampaoli, Atletico Madrid, Villareal and AC Milan.

- Leonel Di Placido (24) Another option for the RB, who has been the biggest surprise on the list, because the media didn't talk about him that much. He has a good technique with the ball, and his major ability is shown while attacking.

I will continue later with the other lads

- Exequiel Palacios
- Gonzalo Martinez
- Matias Vargas
Thanks, when will you do the rest?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
0-0 against Colombia isn't too bad considering they're in transition now.

Most interesting thing for me is Dybala was benched, still can't establish himself at NT even when Messi isn't around.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany

Most interesting thing for me is Dybala was benched, still can't establish himself at NT even when Messi isn't around.
But why though? He is the most talented Argentine of the generation after Messi, why not play him?

Schneckerl

Looks like maybe having one of the best players ever doesn't make your team worse after all. How surprising.

izec

He wasnt fully fit, he started training late. He would make the team of course otherwise

SharpshooterTom

Argentina can still win one of the next two Copa America's (held in both 2019 & 2020), the competition is hardly stellar, no South American side made it past the quarters of the last World Cup.

They're miles off of winning the next World Cup in Qatar though.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Argentina can still win one of the next two Copa America's (held in both 2019 & 2020), the competition is hardly stellar, no South American side made it past the quarters of the last World Cup.

They havent won a major tournament since 93 for a reason.

I dont think they will win either. They are not even in the top 3 South American teams imo

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Brazil are hosting the next Copa so they are obviously favourites for that.

Uruguay will still have likes of Godin, Suarez and Cavani around so tough to beat as ever.

Would rank those two above Argentina. Arguably Colombia aswell but will have to see who they appoint as next coach.

the_irish123

If they didn’t win anything with Messi, Aguero, Higuain and Di Maria, I don’t expect them to win with Funes Mori, Meza, Pavon and Salvio

Inter Yer Nan

Argentina aren't winning Copa America in Brazil. The other is in Ecuadar IIRC. I think there will be other teams that are better and more acclimated to Ecuador than Argentina. The 2016 Copa was Messi's chance with Argentina. A crappy tournament made one year after the last one played in North America and Chile repeated over them.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Brazil and Uruguay are still better than Argentina unfortunately

izec

Aguero is still their best striker. I would never leave him at home or would try to convince him to comeback if he decided to retire.
Yes, but you cant plan with him for longer and his performances for Argentina were not always the best. They have Icardi, Martinez and Dybala as attackers, who are all much younger an deserve a chance.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, but you cant plan with him for longer and his performances for Argentina were not always the best. They have Icardi, Martinez and Dybala as attackers, who are all much younger an deserve a chance.
That's true. The fact is also that Dybala, Messi and Icardi can't play together at the same time so you have to made a choice.

IFC 1905

Thanks, when will you do the rest?

I will do it during this week. Scaloni has given a new list for the upcoming FIFA friendlies and the names are the same.

By the way, the new promise from Argentine football is Pedro De La Vega, plays as a right winger and has made his debut a coulpe weeks ago for Lanus. He's 17 years old and still goes to school.

the_irish123

By the way, the new promise from Argentine football is Pedro De La Vega, plays as a right winger and has made his debut a coulpe weeks ago for Lanus. He's 17 years old and still goes to school.

]
Reminds me of Lavezzi

IFC 1905

Isn't that just a hair thing? I remember Caniggia as being ridiculously fast while de la Vega's game seems more balanced.
That helps but also being a winger, and his skills set seems to be similar aswell. I wouldn't say he isn't fast too. And he can improve athletically too being just a 17 yo kid.

the_irish123

Why do you guys think Argentina hasn't won a WC since the 80s? And their last official title was in 93.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They should have won it in 2006. That fecking Riquelme sub :rolleyes: