Film Arnie vs. Sly

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't know why I got invested in a debate with these two :lol: perhaps it's because of the two who I really don't think can be compared with each other Stallone has made by far the better films whereas so much of Arnie's work is totally forgettable.

I mean
Rocky
First Blood
Copland
Cliffhanger

To name four are films you can rewatch and enjoy.
I wouldn't rematch any of them and Copland and Cliffhanger were very ordinary at the time. Copland would have been a decent movie if they had cast someone other than Stallone.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Red Heat was pretty ropey.
It relied heavily on stereotypes and the plot was thin, but it was entertaining enough as an action film and James Belushi lifts it.

Total Recall seems underrated by many. It's below Terminator 1 & 2 (and Robocop), but for me is on the classics list. So quotable and peak Verhoeven.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It relied heavily on stereotypes and the plot was thin, but it was entertaining enough as an action film and James Belushi lifts it.

Total Recall seems underrated by many. It's below Terminator 1 & 2 (and Robocop), but for me is on the classics list. So quotable and peak Verhoeven.
I'm sure I didn't hate it at the time but I'd guess it has aged very badly.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm sure I didn't hate it at the time but I'd guess it has aged very badly.
I haven't seen it in years but I'm sure it has. Dunno whether it's aged particularly worse than a lot of those 1980s macho action films though and wasn't Rambo helping the Taliban in Rambo III?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I haven't seen it in years but I'm sure it has. Dunno whether it's aged particularly worse than a lot of those 1980s macho action films though and wasn't Rambo helping the Taliban in Rambo III?
Not Taliban but mujahideen.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Isn't it a shame that when they finally worked together it was a little too late kinda like Pacino and De Niro (minus Heat).

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Stallone has the best film out of the two in the original Rocky (not the sequels). That film is pure quality and is a fantastic period piece to boot. Amazing story, fantastically written and brilliantly directed. Stallone was perfect for that role and it won a feckload of awards too. The rest of Stallones sh*t overshadows the perfection of that early film.

Much as I love Terminator it is nowhere near as good a film as Rocky.

AaronRedDevil

Sly. He gets miles better with age. Annie has been the terminator in every movie he’s been in.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Stallone could be superb Judge Dredd, but writers decided to stomp on original source. I do love him for Cobra & Rocky... especially Cobra with that perfect dark atmosphere. First Rambo movie was quite serious story, almost a drama in a war tragedy sense.

Schwarz was iconic in Conan, perfect barbarian with stupid sense of humour. Commando was even more stupid, but also even more fun. Arnie is more fun on the screen also in bit more serious adaptations like Total Recall or Running Man.

Christopher Lambert and Van Damme are still my fav 80s & 90s heroes... however Demolition Man, instead Welsey Snipes they're hiring Arnie and it's best guilty pleasure movie ever.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I certainly like Arnie more. It may be argued that Stallone is a better/more nuanced (if that word is even applicable to them) actor, but I think you can't argue with Arnie's resume. However good Rambo was (all the remakes were shit), I don't think it reaches the height of Terminator 2. And when we're talking about comedy, it's Arnie hands down.

SirAnderson

It's tough because Rocky is just one of the best series ever for me of movie franchises, but I simply love Arnie as well. I think because of his range into other genres and not simply action was bold of him.

I'm going to sit on the fence here. Love both their career big hits.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Yep... Although Rocky is the best sports movie maybe?
Nah. I watched the one @nimic recommended yesterday, Coach Carter, and that was a far superior movie to Rocky. I'd also say Billy Bob's Friday Night Lights was definitely better. If they count as "sports movies" Concussion and Caddyshack are superior to Rocky. And even in its own series, Creed is vastly superior to OG Rocky for me.

But thanks Nimic for the rec

Adamsk7

Sly is a better actor (but even then, not great IMO) but Arnie is just so much more watchable. He has much more charisma than Stallone which means even his average movies are very entertaining.
Arnie wins for me and I don’t think Rocky or Rambo are a patch on T2. Sly never really ascended to that huge Hollywood star that was in the biggest budget franchises like Arnie did. At one point he was THE box office draw.

Reiver

Completely agree about Total Recall, both an underrated sci-fi and Arnie film.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Arnie, he has been in the best film between the two.

I been staring at this for 5 minutes... Is it an image or a gif????
Nah. I watched the one @nimic recommended yesterday, Coach Carter, and that was a far superior movie to Rocky. I'd also say Billy Bob's Friday Night Lights was definitely better. If they count as "sports movies" Concussion and Caddyshack are superior to Rocky. And even in its own series, Creed is vastly superior to OG Rocky for me.

But thanks Nimic for the rec
Can't understand why you loved Coach Carter so much. I like it don't get my wrong but it's pretty cheesy trash :lol:

Warrior is the only sports movie that stands against Rocky in my opinion.

Friday Night Lights TV series was awesome too.